• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Amir0x

Banned
The key difference between me and most off the true fans is that I have played and beaten the game. You aren't lazy when you step into an arena and outclass most all of your highest regarded competition.

This is a broken record at this point but this is Resident Evil 4 all over again. It went over easier because that game reviewed like crazy weeks before it came out and it was revolutionary at the time. I hate to see the old games go. I just recently beat Underworld and I loved every moment but this new one is hands down a better game.

Well you didn't actually say how even a single thing I said was wrong. Saying "i've played it" is not a good defense of any of the things I said, given their common knowledge status at this point and the fact that it's completely true that it destroys classic Tomb Raider once and for all.

You can say whatever this nebulous thing is is "better", but it can only be better as far as I'm concerned is if you never liked the foundations the series was based on. That's the only way. The series is based on puzzles, isolation, death defying platforming, all three of which have been annihilated. To try to then say 'I don't get why people talk about 'true fans' like that' makes no sense. Most people accept what the game is at this point: why try to act like it does anything that ever made people play the series?

The series is based on puzzles, isolation, death defying platforming, all three of which have been annihilated. To try to then say 'I don't get why people talk about 'true fans' like that' makes no sense. Most people accept what the game is at this point: why try to act like it does anything that ever made people play the series?

To be fair, there's plenty of death-defying platforming, the game just does it for you.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well you didn't actually say how even a single thing I said was wrong. Saying "i've played it" is not a good defense of any of the things I said, given their common knowledge status at this point and the fact that it's completely true that it destroys classic Tomb Raider once and for all.

You can say whatever this nebulous thing is is "better", but it can only be better as far as I'm concerned is if you never liked the foundations the series was based on. That's the only way. The series is based on puzzles, isolation, death defying platforming, all three of which have been annihilated. To try to then say 'I don't get why people talk about 'true fans' like that' makes no sense. Most people accept what the game is at this point: why try to act like it does anything that ever made people play the series?

I said that this isn't like the old games pages ago and in the review thread. Me playing it and liking it is actually the best defense there can be, given that I AM a fan of the series. I don't really know what you expect me to say at this point.

L.O.R.D

greenmangaming just gave me my keys
its 3 keys,
one for the game
and 2 for DLC
Animal Instinct DLC
Pistol Burst DLC
those DLC cost 5 $ alone
i paid 45$ and they gave me 15 $ as credits
i am downloading it right ow
m5zn_68b796d5c2a9c34.jpg

i saw the xbox version only 6 GB

Received my download keys for Tomb Raider from Green Man Gaming, got three of them, pre-order bonuses, et al. They were listed as:

GAME: xxxxxxx
PISTOL: xxxxxxx
ANIMAL: xxxxxx

Can't wait to download that ANIMAL! :)

I don't get the whole "true fan" nonsense. Is someone that likes Mario Kart as much as 2D Mario not a "true" Mario fan? Help me understand what it is that makes one a "true" Lara/Tomb Raider fan.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't get the whole "true fan" nonsense. Is someone that likes Mario Kart as much as 2D Mario not a "true" Mario fan? Help me understand what it is that makes one a "true" Lara/Tomb Raider fan.

She had to have given you one of your first erections between 1996-1998.

Delusion.

This True Fan™ thing has been going on for a while with different franchises. I got in serious arguments back when Max Payne 3 was announced and being developed.

She had to have given you one of your first erections between 1996-1998.

Ah damn. I'm a 2001 Boner Baby. What am I a True Fan™ of?

greenmangaming just gave me my keys
its 3 keys,
one for the game
and 2 for DLC
Animal Instinct DLC
Pistol Burst DLC
those DLC cost 5 $ alone
i paid 45$ and they gave me 15 $ as credits
i am downloading it right ow
-snip-
i saw the xbox version only 6 GB

Those 2 dlc are 5 each?! How is that even justified? Prices for DLC are getting insane. Can you use them for both single and multiplayer?

Thank god I'm getting so many DLC with my pre-order (Combat strike pack: Pistol Silencer, Pistol Burst, Headshot recticle, Animal instinct. Challenge Tomb. Climbing skills. Shanty Town Map. Weapon Pack.)

I won't be paying for any DLC for this game. Possibly multiplayer maps if multiplayer is fun and supported by the devs. But I wont be paying for stuff like... extra ammo slot DLC or like "Ability to see during a storm"

Oh wow shit that game is beautiful to look at. In some areas it surpasses Uncharted 2 in terms of graphics. It's a shame I can't tell you what I'm seeing here because of spoilers.
The areas are great designed. Metroidvania ftw.
I think I finished 80% of the story so far...probably 1-2 hours to go. I don't want it to end. I'll definately go back and collect EVERYTHING!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow shit that game is beautiful to look at. In some areas it surpasses Uncharted 2 in terms of graphics. It's a shame I can't tell you what I'm seeing here because of spoilers.
I think I finished 80% of the story so far...probably 1-2 hours to go. I don't want it to end. I'll definately go back and collect EVERYTHING!

How many hours have you done so far? Was it worth the purchase?

RagnarokX

If Nintendo made Mario Kart but instead called it "Super Mario Bros 5" and said this was the new direction for Mario games you don't think fans of the platformers would be pissed off?

"I'm a Mario fan, but I'm okay with the new direction because I like racing games. Platformers suck anyway," say some fans.

The true scottsman stuff is bullshit, but if you enjoy this game and were a Tomb Raider fan the old games really must have been pretty awful for you since they had all those puzzles and all that platforming getting in the way of the shooting and atmosphere.

I thought it was Derrick when this game was announced?

It's Derrick when the reviews started to hit, and when positive feedback from people that have actually played the game was positive.

If Nintendo made Mario Kart but instead called it "Super Mario Bros 5" and said this was the new direction for Mario games you don't think fans of the platformers would be pissed off?

"I'm a Mario fan, but I'm okay with the new direction because I like racing games. Platformers suck anyway," say some fans.

Yeah yeah, I get it, you're mad that they didn't keep making the same game over and over. Move on, save your money, and maybe enough of you staying away will cause a huge sales dip and they'll be forced to return to the good ole days of declining/stagnant sales.

Can you PM me this location. I'm wondering if its the location I was wowed at :D

sublimit

Banned
Stuff like this is why I played the old ones.

You mean autograbs (i know there is an optional manual grab in the game but it was poorly implemented),sticky ledge hopping and button prompts? ;)

But even if we assume that Anniversary is your pinacle of Tomb Raider what were the similarities you found in this new one?

Edit:Nevermind you already answered:
I said that this isn't like the old games pages ago and in the review thread.

L.O.R.D

Those 2 dlc are 5 each?! How is that even justified? Prices for DLC are getting insane. Can you use them for both single and multiplayer?

Thank god I'm getting so many DLC with my pre-order (Combat strike pack: Pistol Silencer, Pistol Burst, Headshot recticle, Animal instinct. Challenge Tomb. Climbing skills. Shanty Town Map. Weapon Pack.)

I won't be paying for any DLC for this game. Possibly multiplayer maps if multiplayer is fun and supported by the devs. But I wont be paying for stuff like... extra ammo slot DLC or like "Ability to see during a storm"

no, 5 $ for the two DLC,and they gave it for free
i paid 30$ for the game (45 $ - 15 $ gift )

RagnarokX

Yeah yeah, I get it, you're mad that they didn't keep making the same game over and over. Move on, save your money, and maybe enough of you staying away will cause a huge sales dip and they'll be forced to return to the good ole days of declining/stagnant sales.

Well, how can I compete with your perfectly worded logical fallacy.

Boner initiated.

Well, how can I compete with your perfectly worded logical fallacy.

With more salt, obviously.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be playing this on hard then and I can see myself doing 12-15 hours if wanting to do 100 percent. I am sure (or hoping) there will be DLC for this that might include extra tombs and locations. Sounds like a great amount if you ask me.
Perhaps for the sequel Crystal should think of thinking of trying out some interesting mini-games like how Resident Evil has the mercenaries, something that would make sense for this kind of game. Multiplier doesn't interest me that much.

I'll be playing this on hard then and I can see myself doing 12-15 hours if wanting to do 100 percent. I am sure (or hoping) there will be DLC for this that might include extra tombs and locations. Sounds like a great amount if you ask me.
Perhaps for the sequel Crystal should think of thinking of trying out some interesting mini-games like how Resident Evil has the mercenaries, something that would make sense for this kind of game. Multiplier doesn't interest me that much.

One would assume now that they've established Lara as a tomb raider (the point of this game), the sequels will maintain a tight balance of tomb raiding as well as the new game style. I'd be surprised if the DLC didn't have a lot of puzzles etc. I'm just happy that their game is being so well received, which hopefully leads to huge sales numbers, which in turn ensures sequels.

stufte

So if I download the "pre-load" from amazon, when i get my steam key can I just move the installed files over to the steam folder and verify steam cache?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I am sure this game is going to be successful for sales, that it something I feel confident on, especially on the IP alone with all the marketing and the build up for this. I know some people who don't buy many games that are picky are going to buy this and that's a sure enough sign of how a good job they've done, from my view and personal opinion.

KingKong

One would assume now that they've established Lara as a tomb raider (the point of this game), the sequels will maintain a tight balance of tomb raiding as well as the new game style. I'd be surprised if the DLC didn't have a lot of puzzles etc. I'm just happy that their game is being so well received, which hopefully leads to huge sales numbers, which in turn ensures sequels.

That's very doubtful considering that's simply not their focus in the reboot and that the platforming mechanics are too simple to make it interesting

Andrew.

Banned
Ive already sold this game to a couple of my coworkers. One was a huge fan of the past games, and the other likes Uncharted and Californication's plethora of Camilla tits.

Easy sale.

I had to tell the one guy that you dont see Camilla tits in the game though..=/

Top Bottom