• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Ive already sold this game to a couple of my coworkers. One was a huge fan of the past games, and the other likes Uncharted and Californication's plethora of Camilla tits.

Easy sale.

I had to tell the one guy that you dont see Camilla tits in the game though..=/

You must have broken his heart.

Biggzy

6108-tombraider1jpg.jpeg

dat blocky ass.

It's amazing to think that I used to play games that looked like this back in the day.

It's amazing to think that I used to play games that looked like this back in the day.

Why?

Honestly games like this are still fun to this day, the bad textures make you use your imagination and add to the charm if you give them a chance.

As for game design most of them are arguably more fun.

This new game looks great, but it has way too much combat from my perspective.

Biggzy

yeah and we used to think they were fuckin gorgeous too.

My naive 8 year old mind sure did.

Why?

Honestly games like this are still fun to this day, the bad textures make you use your imagination and add to the charm if you give them a chance.

As for game design most of them are arguably more fun.

This new game looks great, but it has way too much combat from my perspective.

Not from what I have played. A lot of those early 3D playstation games have not aged well at all, so I like to leave it to nostalgia now.

Eideka

Banned

Nothing wrong with that, you were impressed like the rest of us in 1996.

I couldn't believe that the water....looked like water. I was in awe before Lara's animations, the way she could dominate the environment, even the combats were enjoyable for me.

Truth be told this formula has aged badly, Lara controls like a tank and the atmosphere is not as penetrating as it once was.

I'm all for a change of direction and if Lara has to follow Drake's footsteps to remain releveant so be it.

Biggzy

Nothing wrong with that, you were impressed like the rest of us in 1996.

I couldn't believe that the water....looked like water. I was in awe before Lara's animations, the way she could dominate the environment, even the combats were enjoyable for me.

Truth be told this formula has aged badly, Lara controls like a tank and the atmosphere is not as penetrating as it once was.

I'm all for a change of direction and if Lara has to follow Drake's footsteps to remain releveant so be it.

I didn't say it was, and I can remember being awed by the Playsation back in 1997. But I couldn't go back to them now because I am used to today's graphics. To be honest I will probably be saying the same thing about today's games in 20 years time.

XOMTOR

If I went to the Tombraiderforums site, is there a sizable contingent of fans angry about TReboot?

I'm a member there but rarely post. From experience, a large majority of self-proclaimed Tomb Raider fans aren't actually fans of the game, they're fans of Lara Croft. As long as her name is on the package, many of them will seemingly accept anything.

Despite this, there are some members who have played the game, are actual fans of the traditional Tomb Raider genre and who are disappointed with the new direction. Takes some digging, but they're there.

Eideka

Banned
I didn't say it was, and I can remember being awed by the Playsation back in 1997. But I couldn't go back to them now because I am used to today's graphics. To be honest I will probably be saying the same thing about today's games in 20 years time.

Again, you are not alone in this. Some people are more sensitive to that than others.

I know it's difficult for me as well, but I play them for my nostalgia fix mainly.

Biggzy

Again, you are not alone in this. Some people are more sensitive to that than others.

I know it's difficult for me as well, but I play them for my nostalgia fix mainly.

I don't want my nostalgia to get trampled on so I like to leave stuff how I remember them.

I remember 3DFX demonstrating anti-aliasing on their VooDoo cards using Tomb Raider. Mind was blown.

Edit: haha soo beaten.

It truly is amazing the technological leaps that I have witnessed growing up.

So, as of today, what's the cheapest option to get this with Steamworks? I know the CAGROCKS code is expired, but are there any other promo codes to get this around $35 and activated in Steam?

Don't now if someone mentioned it already but the load times are super short!
And there is no ingame loading between chapters, camps, etc. (Only if you use fast travel...but they are short, very short)

GlassBox

Banned
I really don't see the big fuss about the new Tomb Raider (and people saying it's not Tomb Raider). Did anyone play Legend/Anniversary/Underworld? Those games were already heading more in the direction of Uncharted and similar type cinematic gaming, including QTE's.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered this on GMG and got it preloaded on Steam now... I'm excited to see how this turned out and of course to see dat hair tech.

Is there anyone else here who hasn't played the co-op in Guardian of Light yet? Would love to go through it this weekend (PC version) to kill some time before this game unlocks. :p

I really don't see the big fuss about the new Tomb Raider (and people saying it's not Tomb Raider). Did anyone play Legend/Anniversary/Underworld? Those games were already heading more in the direction of Uncharted and similar type cinematic gaming, including QTE's.

They didn't have the sprawling, maze-like exteriors of the first three TR games, but I think there's still a significant difference in gameplay between Prince Of Persia-esque platformers and Uncharted.

GlassBox

Banned
They didn't have the sprawling, maze-like exteriors of the first three TR games, but I think there's still a significant difference in gameplay between Prince Of Persia-esque platformers and Uncharted.
Odd since Anniversary was a Remake of Tomb Raider 1 and seemed pretty faithful from my recollection in terms of the mazes and puzzles.

Underworld combat was dated and pretty bad. I remember reviews comparing it to Uncharted and how Uncharted evolved the Tomb Raider formula, which is ironic since this new game is being criticized for being like Uncharted.

Was able to pick it up today,been playing for about three hours doing some missions and just spelunking around.Game plays very well and also looks really good on the 360.Quite happy with how this turned out.

1867e1db-8666-49d4-a0dc-7454f93c90d5.jpg

tomb2.jpg

stufte

Still no code nor e-mail.

I don't have one yet either...

All I have is:

Sorry, processing of this order is taking longer than expected
• This order may take up to 4 hours to process but usually will take less than an hour
• Please do not re-order this item
• Once your order is complete, you can download your purchase here. We will also send the download link to your e-mail address
• For more information, contact us

I ordered it 2 days ago.

tjohn86

Scavenger bonus ends on release day. They say I will get it two days after release day. Now their "Engineers" are investigating.

late codes are just something that happens with DL only sites. Happened to me with Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2 on GMG. At least the game hasn't officially unlocked yet, so you guys still have a chance to preload. Didn't someone post earlier in the thread that there's some issue with SE and codes? That PC review codes aren't even out yet?

Blizzard

Banned
Pre-ordered this on GMG and got it preloaded on Steam now... I'm excited to see how this turned out and of course to see dat hair tech.

Is there anyone else here who hasn't played the co-op in Guardian of Light yet? Would love to go through it this weekend (PC version) to kill some time before this game unlocks. :p
I haven't! I got partway through the main campaign, but I never did the co-op in GoL.

robot

Was thinking of grabbing one of the old PS1 TRs for vita over the weekend to hold me over - its been way too long since I've played any. Any recommendations?

Edit: There's TR1, 2, 3, Last Revalation, and TR Legend (I guess that's a newer one)

Double Edit: Legend looks pretty cool, think Im gonna grab that one

Amir0x

Banned
I said that this isn't like the old games pages ago and in the review thread. Me playing it and liking it is actually the best defense there can be, given that I AM a fan of the series. I don't really know what you expect me to say at this point.

I don't expect you to say anything. The whole response was because you said you didn't get the 'true fan' thing. If you're wondering why some fans are skeptical of how other people call call themselves genuine fans of Tomb Raider series and still prefer what we have now, then it's a silly act - you know the game isn't like the old ones, and that's exactly the problem. There's no mystery as to why some people can't accept it. Someone who is a 'true fan' would, almost by definition, want what the series was about to continue. Nobody who is a 'true fan' would be glad with the death of something they cherished otherwise.

I was simply trying to explain to you what the whole thing was about, since you seemed confused and specifically said "I do not understand."

stufte

Scavenger bonus ends on release day. They say I will get it two days after release day. Now their "Engineers" are investigating.

This is the main reason why I care. Oh well, I guess. At least I used the CAGROCKS promo code to get it cheaper.

Nobody who is a 'true fan' would be glad with the death of something they cherished otherwise.
"

Not exactly sure on this. See I love the old series. I loved the puzzles and figuring stuff out. Hell it felt accomplishing finishing a Tomb Raider game, much in the same vein of beating Dark Souls in this day and age. Yet I also know when a game didn't do very well sale wise. There is a crucial turning point for developers. Do you totally revamp the series and give it new and potentially critical sales, or do you let it die? Being a fan, I just don't want Tomb Raider to end, simple as that. Granted now it's a different beast then before. Much like Resident Evil. The better question is, are there any high profile games featuring alot of puzzles as the focus that actually sell what these companies are now demanding for profit? I can only think of the Portal series perhaps. Other then that I'm drawing a blank.

Top Bottom