• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Amir0x

Banned
Not exactly sure on this. See I love the old series. I loved the puzzles and figuring stuff out. Hell it felt accomplishing finishing a Tomb Raider game, much in the same vein of beating Dark Souls in this day and age. Yet I also know when a game didn't do very well sale wise. There is a crucial turning point for developers. Do you totally revamp the series and give it new and potentially critical sales, or do you let it die? Being a fan, I just don't want Tomb Raider to end, simple as that. Granted now it's a different beast then before. Much like Resident Evil. The better question is, are there any high profile games featuring alot of puzzles as the focus that actually sell what these companies are now demanding for profit? I can only think of the Portal series perhaps. Other then that I'm drawing a blank.

The Tomb Raider series did end. Everything that made it what we love ended. There is no difference; the series ended either way. Arbitrarily labeling it "Tomb Raider" for this game was a bit like your favorite pet dog dying and then them buying a new pet dog and giving it the same name. Well, no, they're not the same, even if you give it the same name. The one you loved is still dead.

Also, TR series have done pretty well even with the new ones, into the million units+ sold with every iteration.

pla_zps5142420e.jpg

Given that this game probably cost them an infinity times more than what it cost to make Legend and Underworld, and even THOSE games were only thinly following the veneer of classic Tomb Raider, they better hope that it was worth killing Lara Croft once and for all.

To be honest there really is no reason to label this game Tomb Raider, regardless of whether or not the game is any good. It's the Syndicate situation all over again. It feels like Square Enix making use of the Eidos IP, rather than a natural evolution/reinvention of Tomb Raider.

Also, I'm getting tired of Resident Evil 4 comparisons. RE4 was in the same universe and pushed the series into brand new territory for video games in general, not just for the series. Rebooting an old game into a genre that's existed for ages now is nowhere near as revolutionary as what RE4 was. I'm not trying to harsh on the game because I am actually quite excited to play a good action game with a female lead for once. I just think it's weird that this game is a reboot at all.

Arbitrarily labeling it "Tomb Raider" for this game was a bit like your favorite pet dog dying and then them buying a new pet dog and giving it the same name. Well, no, they're not the same, even if you give it the same name. The one you loved is still dead.
*nods*

imf4xKqYHHioJ.gif

Andrew.

Banned
Is it wrong that I still think it looks gorgeous?
If its wrong, I dont want to be right.

Something so atmospheric about low-res textures and blocky level design.

Hell no. I love the way those older games look. I still play classic Duke3D and Dark Forces sometimes just for shats and gaggles.

So the PC download purchase on greenmangaming for this game with the coupon for 36 bucks, will they just send me a steam code?

Also, anything in general I should know about the PC version that may be screwy?

RoKKeR

I think I'll pick it up. I could get at least two playthroughs out of it and I've got a shit ton of GameStop credit lying around. Between this and Infinite I think I'll be set for a while.

Speaking of which, does anybody know how pre-ordering a PC download from GameStop works?

So the PC download purchase on greenmangaming for this game with the coupon for 36 bucks, will they just send me a steam code?

Also, anything in general I should know about the PC version that may be screwy?

Nothing is known about the pc version right now, besides the new hair tech (SE still hasn't sent out review code) but the dev doing the port has a good track record. GMG will send you an email for the steam code yes.

dreamfall

To be honest there really is no reason to label this game Tomb Raider, regardless of whether or not the game is any good. It's the Syndicate situation all over again. It feels like Square Enix making use of the Eidos IP, rather than a natural evolution/reinvention of Tomb Raider.

Also, I'm getting tired of Resident Evil 4 comparisons. RE4 was in the same universe and pushed the series into brand new territory for video games in general, not just for the series. Rebooting an old game into a genre that's existed for ages now is nowhere near as revolutionary as what RE4 was. I'm not trying to harsh on the game because I am actually quite excited to play a good action game with a female lead for once. I just think it's weird that this game is a reboot at all.

This probably one of the best posts I've read in this discussion.

I really don't agree with the RE4 comparisons either- precisely for the reasons you've stated. This is not a revolutionary title- this doesn't introduce some of the mechanics that RE4 brought that defined a later generation of TPS games. I'm excited as well, but it feels like a collection of a lot of modern gaming systems borrowed from other titles.

While still Tomb Raider in name, it couldn't be more different. And that isn't a bad thing- it just doesn't have the same expectation for me as a standard Tomb Raider title. I can lament about the lack of puzzles all day, but this iteration has turned into a more open combat-oriented approach. Again- Not a bad thing, just inherently different.

Derrick01

Banned

You should get the key right away since they went out today, or very soon if not immediately.

PC version is being done by nixxes so there most likely won't be anything wrong with it.

jbttwin

Well I loved the new DmC as well. So I must be part of the problem. I am not da true fan even though I play all prior games :D

Yeah, I resent that theory. People who don't like the new game are certainly entitled not to, but it's dumb to consider yourself more of a "true fan" just because you don't.

TripOpt55

Well I finally pre-ordered. Was debating where and which version. Getting the PS3 CE at Best Buy. Being part of Rewards Zone should get me a $20 gift certificate back. I also like the pre-order bonuses. Particularly the comic book. Can't wait to play this!!!

statham

finally got my amazon keys, preloading now. sweet, I thought maybe I had to wait until release. its also says they are giving me $5 credit. nice.

The Tomb Raider series did end. Everything that made it what we love ended. There is no difference; the series ended either way. Arbitrarily labeling it "Tomb Raider" for this game was a bit like your favorite pet dog dying and then them buying a new pet dog and giving it the same name. Well, no, they're not the same, even if you give it the same name. The one you loved is still dead.

Also, TR series have done pretty well even with the new ones, into the million units+ sold with every iteration.

pla_zps5142420e.jpg

Given that this game probably cost them an infinity times more than what it cost to make Legend and Underworld, and even THOSE games were only thinly following the veneer of classic Tomb Raider, they better hope that it was worth killing Lara Croft once and for all.

But what if the second dog you ended up loving just as much even if it was different?

Actually, I dislike this metaphor. It's macabre, Ami. What the hell.

Preorder made! Greenmangaming actually just gave me my code outright on the confirmation page

i also got some fancy animal and pistol codes, im guessing some kind of preorder bonus crap?

Derrick01

Banned
The ability to unload a clip into a guy's chest is an unlockable skill?

Yup, useless skill tree just like in far cry 3. Making skills that would have been standard in a normal shooter locked behind a fake wannabe RPG system.

JohngPR

The "True TR fan" thing is pointless IMO.

Some people will like the game and some won't just like some TR fans will like this game and some won't.

Personally, I'm just glad that TR and Lara Croft are still relevant...especially considering how reluctant publishers are of making games with female protagonists.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
There is no such thing as a "true" fan. You are either a fan or you are not. The degrees of how much of a fan you are, doesn't mean anything.

Top Bottom