• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

AlexBasch

The XBLA/PSN was a wonderful surprise too.
Oh yeah, this. I didn't even want to play this for the fact that it was a Tomb Raider game, but after seeing it in action, and knowing that it didn't had anything to do with the old games was all I needed to go ahead and buy it. Enjoyed it a lot with a friend on local co-op, something that has been lost in recent times.

MormaPope

Banned
A lot of us are just happy that they went in a new direction. The old stuff was selling less and less for a reason. Stale. I'd rather they try something new for the series than just keep regurgitating the same old shit. The XBLA/PSN was a wonderful surprise too.

But this reboot is piggy backing onto another form of staleness.

Andrew.

Banned
Urrrg, I hate this blind acceptance. No we DON'T have to "suck it up and deal." That's the worst advice for getting anything about this reboot direction changed. At that rate we won't even get optional tombs babby's first puzzle rooms in the sequel.

Blind acceptance? I accept it and I see everything. I get it. It just doesnt piss me off like you guys because I was never a huge fan of the series to begin with and I was 14 when this series started. The prime demographic for sales. I found it extremely boring and dull. Even Laras square tits didnt do anything for me.

Its way easier to accept the directional leap when I had no feelings towards the previous entries. Obviously.

And how many of you have played the game or do what I and others did and watched the entire game on youtube? Your defensive attitude is pretty jarring, so the game is great because a bunch of people are excited?

Well I have the game and many others who are starting to play it seem to come back with positive response. Will have to see as more people get their hands on the game. As for watching a significant chunk of the game through youtube walkthrough. Never. I find that idea ridiculious since I want to actually...you know, play the game.

RagnarokX

After like 2 hours of sleep due to hype.....IT IS NOW MINE!
1qEBJT0.gif

bkDLh.gif

I imagine you sitting across from the box at this moment at a candlelit spaghetti dinner.

Andrew.

Banned
And how many of you have played the game or do what I and others did and watched the entire game on youtube? Your defensive attitude is pretty jarring, so the game is great because a bunch of people are excited?

Also this being the Tomb Raider OT would mean the majority of people don't want to hear criticism or assertions about the reboot, since critical negativity makes the consumers for the product scared that those criticisms might be true and that'll devalue the game or whatever.

Totally dont mean to come across as defensive. Just talkin with you guys.

MormaPope

Banned
Blind acceptance? I accept it and I see everything. I get it. It just doesnt piss me off like you guys because I was never a huge fan of the series to begin with and I was 14 when this series started. The prime demographic for sales. And I found it extremely boring and dull. Even Laras square tits didnt do anything for me.

Its way easier to accept this change when I had no feelings towards the previous entries. Obviously.

I don't like this reboot because it looks boring, along with it not having any good or exciting elements from past Tomb Raider's. I really do think a lot of people are going to fall into the trap of hyping themselves up for something that's completely different than what they think it is.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't like this reboot because it looks boring, along with it not having any good or exciting elements from past Tomb Raider's. I really do think a lot of people are going to fall into the trap of hyping themselves up for something that's completely different than what they think it is.

Well we will all keep you posted dude =D

But this reboot is piggy backing onto another form of staleness.

Can't comment on that. I don't review games I haven't played yet. If I complete the game and think it felt stale, I'll post that here. None of the gameplay footage I've seen yet screams "STALE". Looks fun as hell, which is all I need to pre-order. Same goes for pretty much every game I buy.

Yes we know the lowest common denominator vastly outnumbers the rest. That's the whole reason why the industry went the way it did.

tumblr_lvxhzrMX421r4d22do1_400.jpg

MormaPope

Banned
Well I have the game and many others who are starting to play it seem to come back with positive response. Will have to see as more people get their hands on the game. As for watching a significant chunk of the game through youtube walkthrough. Never. I find that idea ridiculious since I want to actually...you know, play the game.

I've done that with games in the past and if I think the game looks interesting enough I'll go out and buy it, even after watching a lot of footage for it. Watching a good chunk of Tomb Raider videos killed any ambition to buy and play it.

I really do think a lot of people are going to fall into the trap of hyping themselves up for something that's completely different than what they think it is.

Well people should check their hype at the door. I stopped watching any videos on games I knew without a shadow of a doubt I was interested in. Just feels better doing so that way. Alot of things have surprised me in Tomb Raider since I had no idea what I was getting into other then seeing one trailer awhile back.

Still think I nailed it earlier on: This is the Tomb Raider for those who never really liked Tomb Raider much ;P

Honestly, it explains everything.

This does explain everything and it's probably the worst part of the whole situation. A ton of people who have or will rave about this game didn't even like the old series, at least not after the first one. That's the WORST kind of reboot IMO. Change the title and the main character and this wouldn't even be Tomb Raider.

I've done that with games in the past and if I think the game looks interesting enough I'll go out and buy it, even after watching a lot of footage for it. Watching a good chunk of Tomb Raider videos killed any ambition to buy and play it.

If only it had killed your boner to shit on it in the game's OT without ever having played it.

*edit* That came off harsher than intended. Feel free to have an opinion. I don't actually mind.

This does explain everything and it's probably the worst part of the whole situation. A ton of people who have or will rave about this game didn't even like the old series, at least not after the first one. That's the WORST kind of reboot IMO. Change the title and the main character and this wouldn't even be Tomb Raider.

No. Fans of the previous games who like this are just able to accept change and understand it regardless if it was different from the core series or not.

Andrew.

Banned
And that's why we've had such divisive GAF posts. The gulf between the two audiences is immense, and the discussions here have tried, and failed spectacularly, to find a middle ground. Because there is no middle ground.

And developers have yet to realize this. The polarization has the chance to really be deadly. Ive seen it with Max Payne 3, I've seen it with DmC and now this. Although I think TR will probably do well for itself.

And Payne 3, while it wasnt a reboot, sure as hell was treated like one.

Derrick01

Banned
Still think I nailed it earlier on: This is the Tomb Raider for those who never really liked Tomb Raider much ;P

Honestly, it explains everything.

Eh I didn't like the old Tomb Raiders either, but this modern cinematic reboot shouldn't have been the answer either. They answered stale and outdated with even more stale and outdated. Going by the videos at least, but it's not like what I saw isn't going to not be in the game all of a sudden.

Hey guys... why can't we just judge it by the basis of whether it was fun or not.

Guys?

Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys?

Eh I didn't like the old Tomb Raiders either, but this modern cinematic reboot shouldn't have been the answer either. They answered stale and outdated with even more stale and outdated. Going by the videos at least, but it's not like what I saw isn't going to not be in the game all of a sudden.

You didn't like the old ones. You don't like the new one. What do you want, Derrick? What do you propose? What would satisfy sales expectations, old fans that don't want to adapt to the new version while bringing in new fans who are used to cinematic action games?

Shit, if you don't even care about the franchise, why do you keep coming back?

And that's why we've had such divisive GAF posts. The gulf between the two audiences is immense, and the discussions here have tried, and failed spectacularly, to find a middle ground. Because there is no middle ground.

There's totally a middle ground, unless I'm the only person in the universe willing to accept that this game is probably pretty fun and also be able to criticize aspects of it without my head exploding Scanners style.

jwk94

So Steam says that Tomb Raider is available to pre-load but when I entered my code from GMG, it told me the game wasn't out yet...can I not pre-load with a GMG code?

No. Fans of the previous games who like this are just able to accept change and understand it regardless if it was different from the core series or not.

I didn't say "everyone." Sure some of the old fans, for whatever reason, are able to accept what this game is, but I'm betting the audience will be 2:1, people who never played/didn't like Tomb Raider vs. older fans. It's targeting a completely different market.

Hey guys... why can't we just judge it by the basis of whether it was fun or not.

Guys?

Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys?

That. Is. Not. And. Has. Never. Been. The. Issue.

Varna

Fuck it. I caved.

I figured with all the bitching I've done about it I might as well try the damn thing. I had some credit so thanks to that Amazon deal it only cost me 18 bucks.

Are people with amazon pre-orders getting the key early so we can pre-load and qualify for the pre-order bonuses from Steam?

There's totally a middle ground, unless I'm the only person in the universe willing to accept that this game is probably pretty fun and also be able to criticize aspects of it without my head exploding Scanners style.

No your not alone. I feel the same way. I understand the issues some fans have with it. I do. Though I also can see the positives as well. Just the way some people talk as if it has to be one way or the other. That's when talk gets crazy!

Derrick01

Banned

Guys?

Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys?

As long as people can describe in detail what they mean, because "fun" by itself is meaningless. I don't know what anyone means if they just say something was fun.

I still haven't really seen any detailed breakdowns from people who finished it. Meaning I haven't seen a breakdown of the various gameplay mechanics and if they work or not. All I've seen is RE4 this and Uncharted that.

That. Is. Not. And. Has. Never. Been. The. Issue.

I know. But I mean... if you just let go of everything and decided based on whether you have fun or not, just fun... then people wouldn't feel so bad all the time.

As long as people can describe in detail what they mean, because "fun" by itself is meaningless. I don't know what anyone means if they just say something was fun.

I still haven't really seen any detailed breakdowns from people who finished it. Meaning I haven't seen a breakdown of the various gameplay mechanics and if they work or not. All I've seen is RE4 this and Uncharted that.

I dunno. An enjoyable time? Whiled away the hours while life outside continued as we slowly decay on our paths from life to death?

GenoZStriker

Neo Member

Pretty much. A middle ground exist. People just don't like being there. You are either a "hater" or "dumb fan"

This new game does seem derivative as all hell, but the open-ness of the hubs may be the special sauce that ties all these disparate tropes together into something more than the sum of their parts.

Derivative isn't necessarily bad, as I have enjoyed Darksiders and Sleeping Dogs, among others. I just refer to it as The Adventures of Moaning McMurder-lass and the Uncharted Island of Cultists instead of Tomb Raider.

*stares at Xander Cage's head, and waits*

I know. But I mean... if you just let go of everything and decided based on whether you have fun or not, just fun... then people wouldn't feel so bad all the time.

This could literally be the best game of its type EVER MADE, and you'd have the same exact complaints. This isn't about the quality of the game presented, it's about the game, period.

Andrew.

Banned
Which is why I try to avoid OTs generally, but this game is so inflammatory that I can't help but want to discuss it.

You're running this joke into the ground fast, friend.

I was only gonna do it twice or thrice. Jeez. Thats way too quick for you? I mean it's just so easy though =D

MormaPope

Banned
If only it had killed your boner to shit on it in the game's OT without ever having played it.

*edit* That came off harsher than intended. Feel free to have an opinion. I don't actually mind.

No problem.

Besides, I don't think there's a rule for "shitting" on a game in it's official thread.

Derrick01

Banned
I dunno. An enjoyable time? Whiled away the hours while life outside continued as we slowly decay on our paths from life to death?

lol all I'm asking for is proper breakdown or "review", whatever you want to call it, from other people until I can get to it myself. Fun is such a generic catch-all word that means something else to everyone. Some people actually enjoy just pressing forward on the analog stick and watching on rails stuff happen. That doesn't do anything for me, so that person just saying "it was fun" doesn't tell me anything.

The game comparisons fit that too. Depending on who you ask RE4 was the greatest game ever, an abortion to the franchise it's in, or just an ok game.

Top Bottom