• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Well they are in my PC. The "press right press left" thingy it's not working (it did work the first time though). I had to leave the game, was getting frustrated, the game simply doesn't detect that i'm pressing the damn buttons.
Do it faster and you'll see it works.

WAT?! Firstly, Derrick did say that this game will bomb - I can't for the life of me find the post but he did say it. And lots of people said the game was going to bomb and be shit too.

I mean just scanning this very thread I’m seeing people buying the game when they hated on it relentlessly and said they weren’t going to touch it. Some crow is definitely in order.

Well, like I said, I know this isn't the game I want, I'm sure I've said it would be shit, now I feel that I might be able to appreciate it on some level. So I'll take a wing if it'll make you all warm and fuzzy. Spicy BBQ please.

Zafir

The QTEs in the PC version are pretty damn awful. Half the time it doesn't even show the button you're meant to be pressing for it. I get that you're supposed to use the button corresponding to what your wanting to do I guess, but I've not even got the controls memorised yet...

scitek

Playing at 60fps with max settings minus depth of field and tessellation on PC. I'm about 3 hours in and I think the combat's pretty bland, the auto-stealth is something I'd like to control myself, and the amount of pressing up I have to do in cutscenes is annoying. I'm just finding it to be alright so far.

Zeth

Okay so I'm stuck lol. :p

The room when you pull a lever and there is some kind of gas and there's a dude on the other side yelling, what the fuck am I suppose to do? She says the glass is weak but shooting doesn't help.

In case no one's answered you: (fairly early-game spoiler, <25% I think)
Throw one of the lamp/lanterns through the opening above the window, into the gas-filled room.

Derrick01

Banned
Your crow is currently in the oven for when this sells like hotcakes.

What? Do you just pretend to see what you want to see when someone posts something negative about this game? My criticisms have always been about the quality of the game. If I said anything about the game bombing I said I wanted it to and used Hitman Absolution's commercial failure as hope.

rvy

Banned
What? Do you just pretend to see what you want to see when someone posts something negative about this game? My criticisms have always been about the quality of the game. If I said anything about the game bombing I said I wanted it to and used Hitman Absolution's commercial failure as hope.

Haven't been keeping up, so you like it or not? So far, I mean.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has there been a clarification of what the "download additional movies" thing is?

Are they 1080p replacements for the in-game cutscenes?

vidcons

Banned
when does the tutorial end

when do i feel some connection between the world and the characters

this game is bad

e; oh, i'm like 37% of the way through the game. uhh, when did that happen.

Derrick01

Banned

My only time with it is the horrible first hour-ish where it's as linear as can be with as many QTEs and press forward to advance to the next cutscene as a modern game can be. So if taken solely from that.....not good so far, but I'm expecting it to open up a bit.

scitek

Has there been a clarification of what the "download additional movies" thing is?

Are they 1080p replacements for the in-game cutscenes?

Looking through the game's files, only 2 of the in-game cutscenes are movie files (both supposed to be Lara looking into her camera, so the compression makes sense), all the rest must be in-engine.

jujubeads

crap, you cant use a controller and mouse at the same time with this game. why, nixxes? why? :((

using the analog stick to move and the mouse to aim is the perfect control scheme for these types of slow, atmospheric games, and its especially well-suited for tr since it allows for analog movement speed. bah.

nbthedude

He used Hitman Absolution as an example of a game he hates and was glad t see sell poorly. So I a guessing he is one of the "hardcorez" fans who hate all new games: Absolution, DmC, Tomb Raider etc. Their basic premise seems to be that all new games are dumbed down and anyone who likes them is not a "true fan."

I actually expected to see that type of opinion expressed more often in this thread. I am happy it isnt'. I loved the new DmC but people with that attitude made the DmC thread unbearable. Every time anybody said anything positive, they'd scoff and start talking about he much better DMC 3 was and how they are experts at teh ultra combos and how deep and meaningful teh ultra combos make videogames.

Derrick01

Banned
He used Hitman Absolution as an example of a game he hates and was glad t see sell poorly. So I a guessing he is one of the "hardcorez" fans who hate all new games: Absolution, DmC, Tomb Raider etc. Their basic premise seems to be that all new games are dumbed down and anyone who likes them is not a "true fan."

I actually expected to see that type of opinion expressed more often in this thread. I am happy it isnt'. I loved the new DmC but people with that attitude made the DmC thread unbearable. Every time anybody said anything positive, they'd scoff and start talking about he much better DMC 3 was and how they are experts at teh ultra combos and how deep and meaningful teh ultra combos make videogames.

I've already expressed my disinterest in the old TRs so that won't be happening from me. I will gladly criticize any and all modern game elements I find though, that's just out of my hatred of all of them and what they do to games now, not any sense of love of an old franchise.

Skilletor

Your attitude is just as dismissive and counter productive to conversation and criticism as the view you look at so scornfully.

madmackem

when does the tutorial end

when do i feel some connection between the world and the characters

this game is bad

e; oh, i'm like 37% of the way through the game. uhh, when did that happen.

What in the world, game is far from bad, and you feel part of the world as much as you want too. If you go just running forward to the objectives then your missing alot of the world.

Dahbomb

This attitude didn't help that thread either and no one stated they are experts at ultra combos. Let's not twists words here, people didn't resonate with your opinion on the game so instead of defend the strengths of the game you left to complain about it on other threads.

The only people who continually support DmC are the OG DMC fans... people like you have abandoned the game for the next new modern game to hit the stores.

So basically, he's the Armond White of GAF.

I'm loving this game so far. Some of the set-pieces are master class, and it's more 'survival-horror' than a lot of games are supposed to be, like Dead Space.

DukeBobby

He was right about Hitman: Absolution.

So far, he is wrong about Tomb Raider, though. Game is pretty great.

However, I don't understand why anybody would want a game to sell poorly, despite how much you dislike it. A game selling poorly will not bring a series back to its roots, it will kill the series off completely.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
My god, the QTE are ruinning this! I died dozens of times by a wolf in a cave even though I was pressing the fucking buttons like a madman. QTE are a plague, jesus.

I had a lot of trouble with that one also . For some reason it did not seem to register what I was doing. I was mashing my keyboard like crazy. Eventually it went through. Other then that one QTE I haven't had a problem though.

Andrew.

Banned
Does anyone know if the combat trophies stack or is it entirely possible to get all of those numbered kills in one playthrough?

Awesome game, it really is a true blockbuster adventure game. Obviously non fans of modern action games like Uncharted won't like this, even if it's much more open but I'm having a blast.

The game is beautiful, Lara is a great character, there's an awesome sense of adventure, crazy action, I'm never bored. The production values are immense too.

I gotta be happy with CD here, last game I loved from them was Soul Reaver but this is making me a fan again.

Those looking for deep and complex game systems and not exactly a summer action adventure blockbuster are gonna be disappointed, but I already want a sequel. QTE complains though are so weird, I died like twice in a QTE so far...it's so...easy man jesus.

I've already expressed my disinterest in the old TRs so that won't be happening from me. I will gladly criticize any and all modern game elements I find though, that's just out of my hatred of all of them and what they do to games now, not any sense of love of an old franchise.

Can you give me a list of five games made in the last five years you really like? I'm genuinely interested to know. It seems like you hate almost everything that comes out.

vidcons

Banned
What in the world, game is far from bad, and you feel part of the world as much as you want too. If you go just running forward to the objectives then your missing alot of the world.

If I'm surprised that I'm 37% of the way through the game then there is a problem. Not with length, but in having me understand some importance as to what I'm doing.

I went back to an area and all there was to do was GPS hunt and look for 10 hanging icons to shoot. What a great open world this is.

e; Oh, there are maps to find that help you find more garbage so you can upgrade Lara's head stabbing abilities. Ah yes, the untapped power of the killer, just waiting to be unlocked by shooting dear, hitting every branch on the way down from a giant fall, and getting slapped around. We're at the next level of gaming.

Derrick01

Banned
He was right about Hitman: Absolution.

So far, he is wrong about Tomb Raider, though. Game is pretty great.

However, I don't understand why anybody would want a game to sell poorly, despite how much you dislike it. A game selling poorly will not bring a series back to its roots, it will kill the series off completely.

Yet a game selling well will only guarantee it will never go back. There's at least a small chance of a publisher waking up and seeing why the new one bombed and returning it to glory.

Skilletor

So basically, he's the Armond White of GAF.

I'm loving this game so far. Some of the set-pieces are master class, and it's more 'survival-horror' than a lot of games are supposed to be, like Dead Space.

How do you figure? There has been, like, zero threat to me dying in the two hours I've played. Isn't part of survival horror the horror that you won't survive? Not to mention that arrows are as plentiful as sand on a beach. I've never lacked for ammo. In fact the entire "survival" theme this game has going falls flat on its face with Lara's apparent invincibility and how the game throws loot at you for doing anything. Killed a rabbit? Have some loot. Broke a box? Have some loot? Strangled somebody with your bow? Have some loot.

Dahbomb

There isn't any element of horror in the game. The survival element is just the theme of the game (stranded alone in an island having to use your environment) but mechanically speaking there is hardly any real threat to your life because the game is easy as hell even on Hard mode and supplies/ammunition are plenty. Because of that it lacks real tension, no amount of top level atmosphere or production value will change that. There is no "oh shit I hear chainsaw guy coming!" moment in this game yet or "oh shit I only have 2 arrows but 4 guys to get past" moment.

60 minutes in, loving the game so far. Lara is an amazing character and the supporting cast is pretty cool too. I like the "serious" nature of the story. Game looks BEAUTIFUL on PC, on my 7970...amazing graphics ^_^

Skilletor

There isn't any element of horror in the game. The survival element is just the theme of the game (stranded alone in an island having to use your environment) but mechanically speaking there is hardly any real threat to your life because the game is easy as hell even on Hard mode and supplies/ammunition are plenty. Because of that it lacks real tension, no amount of top level atmosphere or production value will change that. There is no "oh shit I hear chainsaw guy coming!" moment in this game yet or "oh shit I only have 2 arrows but 4 guys to get past" moment.

This would really add an element to the game, I think. As it is, I have to force myself to use only the bow and arrow in order to add some modicum of challenge for myself.

Oh, by the way, you get rewards for spinning around the artifacts that Laura knows everything about (hint: everything)

lololol!

GenoZStriker

Neo Member

Yeah I am starting to realize that this part is very over exaggerated by some reviews and even members here. Perhaps I am too good at the game? LOL

Sissel

lol at buying games you'll hate.

bigace33

That all sounds like a good thing to me.

How do you figure? There has been, like, zero threat to me dying in the two hours I've played. Isn't part of survival horror the horror that you won't survive? Not to mention that arrows are as plentiful as sand on a beach. I've never lacked for ammo. In fact the entire "survival" theme this game has going falls flat on its face with Lara's apparent invincibility and how the game throws loot at you for doing anything. Killed a rabbit? Have some loot. Broke a box? Have some loot? Strangled somebody with your bow? Have some loot.

The environment in itself feels threatening and has volumes of character itself, something games like RE5 and the DS series haven't quite hit, although I still consider them fun games. It reminds me of 'The Road' to be honest.

I'm having fun with it, and yes I've died several times, either to the environment or getting swarmed by enemies. And to be honest, I don't give a fuck about the loot system. It still works for me.

lol at buying games you'll hate.

It's pretty sad, isn't it. Must be painful to go day-to-day.

Skilletor

The environment in itself feels threatening and has volumes of character itself, something games like RE5 and the DS series haven't quite hit, although I still consider them fun games. It reminds me of 'The Road' to be honest.

I'm having fun with it, and yes I've died several times, either to the environment or getting swarmed by enemies. And to be honest, I don't give a fuck about the loot system. It still works for me.

Different strokes, I guess. I don't see any threat in the environment since Lara can't miss a jump, there's ammo everywhere, and Lara is apparently Laura Kinney in disguise. I'd save my comparisons of The Road to something like The Last of Us, which actually does look like a game of survival.

The game does have mad atmosphere, though. The island has character in spades.

Sephon

I must be getting old or something.
My impressions from this game has left me completely awe-struck.
I've been standing around in areas way too long just getting angles and taking screenshots, which I very rarely do.
When entering tombs I slowly crawl my way ahead, tensing up and listening to the awesome ambient sounds, and looking at the awesome light/shadows flickering against the beautifully detailed cave walls.

Love my handgun and
the shottie
which feel really good and enjoyable.

Easily one of my favourite games in a while. But then again, I loved Dead Space 3 too so I might just be getting old.

Skilletor

I must be getting old or something.
My impressions from this game has left me completely awe-struck.
I've been standing around in areas way too long just getting angles and taking screenshots, which I very rarely do.
When entering tombs I slowly crawl my way ahead, tensing up and listening to the awesome ambient sounds, and looking at the awesome light/shadows flickering against the beautifully detailed cave walls.

Love my handgun and
the shottie
which feel really good and enjoyable.

Easily one of my favourite games in a while. But then again, I loved Dead Space 3 too so I might just be getting old.

I did this a lot when I got to the burning temples. That area looked magnificent.

bigace33

This game does have controller support correct? I'm seeing so many people say they are using the KB/M. That has to be pretty terrible if it's just keyboard and mouse controls and I can't play with the 360 controller.

Jarmel

Banned
This game does have controller support correct? I'm seeing so many people say they are using the KB/M. That has to be pretty terrible if it's just keyboard and mouse controls and I can't play with the 360 controller.

Yep. Been using it and it works fine.

Top Bottom