• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

vidcons

Banned
When entering tombs I slowly crawl my way ahead, tensing up and listening to the awesome ambient sounds, and looking at the awesome light/shadows flickering against the beautifully detailed cave walls.

The game actually forces you to do this because the crawlspaces are loading areas.

Nothing wrong with my spoiler. Stop blaming me for your own stupidity.

I didn't spoil anything for myself as I was much further than your spoiler. But, you don't know how to spoil shit, simple as that. Or I guess, technically, you know how to spoil very well and just try to be dismissive about others and just don't care.

Slacker

This game does have controller support correct? I'm seeing so many people say they are using the KB/M. That has to be pretty terrible if it's just keyboard and mouse controls and I can't play with the 360 controller.

It does indeed have controller support. I stuck with KB/M though because there I can headshot about 10 guys with kb/m in the time I can half-assedly aim at one baddie with the controller.

Fabrik

Banned
There isn't any element of horror in the game. The survival element is just the theme of the game (stranded alone in an island having to use your environment) but mechanically speaking there is hardly any real threat to your life because the game is easy as hell even on Hard mode and supplies/ammunition are plenty. Because of that it lacks real tension, no amount of top level atmosphere or production value will change that. There is no "oh shit I hear chainsaw guy coming!" moment in this game yet or "oh shit I only have 2 arrows but 4 guys to get past" moment.

Wrong! I jumped at a wolf appearance early on and I was too close to it to get a clean shot.

angelfly

Am I the only one hoarding skill points and salvage? I've got 5 skill points and a little over 1000 salvage and so far I've only spent one point on being able to hold a charged shot longer. I'm having fun using the the bow and so far haven't run any situation that make me think I should be upgrading.

Skilletor

Nothing wrong with my spoiler. Stop blaming me for your own stupidity.

Normally I wouldn't say anything, but your attitude has rubbed me the wrong way:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781

duckroll said:
Spoiler Etiquette

What is a spoiler?
A spoiler is anything which can hinder a person's enjoyment of something by telling them something they might not have known beforehand. This is not limited to story elements but can also cover surprising gameplay developments/changes in the course of a game or surprises in terms of secrets and unlockables. The threshold each individual person has for spoilers on a range of subjects will vary greatly.

When not to use spoilers
If a thread is specifically marked as post-game discussion, and spoilers are warned about in the title, there is no need to use spoiler tags regarding that topic inside the thread. There is no point having an entire thread filled with black bars if everyone is on the same page regarding what is expected in the thread. The same applies for threads about the sequels of existing games. If you have not played the previous game(s) in the series, it is probably not a good idea to wander into a thread about the latest game, especially if it is a direct sequel to a story-driven game.

Avoid putting spoilers in thread titles
If you are making a thread, consider for a moment that some people might want to avoid knowing certain things about a game/movie/TV show/whatever. As such, being a little more vague is better than being inconsiderate.

Mark spoilers appropriately
When posting spoilers about anything, always mark it properly. Using a spoiler tag alone is often not the best way because no one will know what you have hidden behind the tag without reading it first. Using proper marking can make it very helpful for others to know if they want to highlight the spoiler tag or not. Mixing spoiler tags with regular text in a single sentence is also often a bad idea when dealing with a story spoiler, especially if it makes it obvious.

It's not anybody's stupidity. You're doing it wrong.

Andrew.

Banned
Got them all in one playthrough, though missed the zipline one -_-'

Damn they throw that many guys at you huh? Alright thats cool.

Do any enemies respawn ater you finish the game? I know you're able to go back and collect things you missed, but is the entire game map devoid of any baddies after you beat it?

lol at buying games you'll hate.

Did he have to buy the games to confirm his hatred, or does he automatically hate games altogether? I see him more vocally hating on things in games he doesn't like that will bring down most of the experience for him.

How do you figure? There has been, like, zero threat to me dying in the two hours I've played. Isn't part of survival horror the horror that you won't survive? Not to mention that arrows are as plentiful as sand on a beach. I've never lacked for ammo. In fact the entire "survival" theme this game has going falls flat on its face with Lara's apparent invincibility and how the game throws loot at you for doing anything. Killed a rabbit? Have some loot. Broke a box? Have some loot? Strangled somebody with your bow? Have some loot.

There isn't any element of horror in the game. The survival element is just the theme of the game (stranded alone in an island having to use your environment) but mechanically speaking there is hardly any real threat to your life because the game is easy as hell even on Hard mode and supplies/ammunition are plenty. Because of that it lacks real tension, no amount of top level atmosphere or production value will change that. There is no "oh shit I hear chainsaw guy coming!" moment in this game yet or "oh shit I only have 2 arrows but 4 guys to get past" moment.

Oh, by the way, you get rewards for spinning around the artifacts that Laura knows everything about (hint: everything)

This is really disheartening; I was at least expecting something like the bolded. Sounds like it'd be challenging for combat if there was a mode to play as one of the islanders, and survive Lara.

Are people getting the impression that the game is fairly lengthy if you take your time and explore everything and do all the side stuff? Or is this a straight action game where you barrel through the main story?

For an even better experience play on Easy mode. I heard that it's basically just like watching a 10 hour movie!

Why are you like this? Why do you care.

You like hard games, with hard combat and deep gameplay systems and other people just wanna go on a ride. Escapism, learn about it.

Derrick01

Banned
"Oh cool I found a sneaky way to jump up to a couple of columns and found a treasure map"

*checks map screen and sees everything in the area already collected*

Ohhh well :(

Skilletor

You like hard games, with hard combat and deep gameplay systems and other people just wanna go on a ride. Escapism, learn about it.

And there are room for both people in this thread.

If it doesn't apply to you, then it isn't a negative. For others it is and talking about it is useful.

Jarmel

Banned

The problem with the game is that at times it feels so easy, that it feels like you already broke the game. I'm playing on hard and this feels like normal for any other game. The skills flat out break the game due to the fact that you pretty much can spam arrows the entire time. Once you upgrade dodge, then everything is a cakewalk. There isn't any challenge in the combat.

Hell Alan Wake on Normal feels much harder than this.

Dahbomb

If people want to go for a ride then they can watch movies or ride a rollercoaster. If people want to play a game then they should be playing something that requires player input and effort.

By the way I am not saying that this game is some heavy handed "move analog stick forward" cinematic QTE experience. The game has enough game play and variety to it to keep you occupied. I was contesting the statement that this is a survival horror game... even when compared to RE4 it's not really one. It's a full on action/adventure game with big emphasis on action.

And if people aren't looking for a challenge and just want to experience a game... they should be playing every game on Easy mode. I am playing on Hard because I don't want that type of experience but right now Hard is about the same as Normal as most other modern games. Like right now RE4 on Normal is way harder than this, let's not even compare this to RE4 Professional mode. If Hard isn't hard then what's the point of multiple difficulties in a game?

Skilletor

The problem with the game is that at times it feels so easy, that it feels like you already broke the game. I'm playing on hard and this feels like normal for any other game. The skills flat out break the game due to the fact that you pretty much can spam arrows the entire time. Once you upgrade dodge, then everything is a cakewalk. There isn't any challenge in the combat.

Especially when so many reviews lauded the game for this very thing.

Are people getting the impression that the game is fairly lengthy if you take your time and explore everything and do all the side stuff? Or is this a straight action game where you barrel through the main story?

If by side stuff you mean the tombs then they only add up to about half an hour extra. Pretty much all 1-2 step puzzles.

Collecting trinkets for XP could add a couple hours but, essentially, this is a linear game with shit strewn all over the place for you to collect.

Andrew.

Banned

It's that first time "accessible to everyone" syndrome because its a "new" IP and they need to rake in and attract as many people as possible.

Maybe the sequel will grow a pair? I guess Ill be seeing for myself six hours from now.

If people want to go for a ride then they can watch movies or ride a rollercoaster. If people want to play a game then they should be playing something that requires player input and effort.

By the way I am not saying that this game is some heavy handed "move analog stick forward" cinematic QTE experience. The game has enough game play and variety to it to keep you occupied. I was contesting the statement that this is a survival horror game... even when compared to RE4 it's not really one. It's a full on action/adventure game with big emphasis on action.

You know what I mean with being taken for a ride.

Games don't have to be challenging, they have to be fun. Fun is really the only metric that counts. What's fun for you and what's fun for me might be different though.

But yeah, I agree the only thing this and REs4 have in common are the QTE deaths. I also agree that the game on hard should be hard, not easy.

If by side stuff you mean the tombs then they only add up to about half an hour extra. Pretty much all 1-2 step puzzles.

Collecting trinkets for XP could add a couple hours but, essentially, this is a linear game with shit strewn all over the place for you to collect.

That sounds slightly disappointing. Collectibles are fine, but I was getting the impression that the game was offering more substantial side content than an extra half hour of tombs. Ah well, as long as the main story is cool.

Jarmel

Banned
It's that first time "accessible to everyone" syndrome because its a "new" IP and they need to rake in and attract as many people as possible.

Maybe the sequel will grow a pair? I guess Ill be seeing for myself six hours from now.

It definitely feels like that "everyone is a winner" mentality. If health didn't regenerate then I might be able to roll with it more but as it stands, it's hard to call this a good shooter because of how easy it is.

Berto

I had a lot of trouble with that one also . For some reason it did not seem to register what I was doing. I was mashing my keyboard like crazy. Eventually it went through. Other then that one QTE I haven't had a problem though.
Yeah, had to use a gamepad to pass that part, with the keyboard was simply bugged.

Andrew.

Banned
It definitely feels like that "everyone is a winner" mentality. If health didn't regenerate then I might be able to roll with it more but as it stands, it's hard to call this a good shooter because of how easy it is.

Aw man health regenerates? For some reason I thought there were med kits or herbs or something.

=/

All this fighting. Geez guys. The people that hate the game, let them hate it. It's pretty apparenty if you ask me, the majority of people are having a good time with this. So enjoy it. :d Let them worry about continuing a game they don't like or didn't like before they even bought it.

tjohn86

I am really loving this game so far. I would be better with more of a survival horror feel (less ammo, no halo health), but its still an awesome reboot!

Derrick01

Banned
So...people like it? Derrick, what do you think of it? Haven't been able to read through the thread.

I got to the 2nd campfire in the first area and it's a small but slightly open area that has various collectibles scattered around. It's somewhat fun to look for them but they serve no purpose but to give you even more XP, as if you didn't already get enough in this game. I've already leveled up twice and am very close to a third and I've done almost no story stuff in this coastal forest area or whatever it is.

Also I got an achievement for killing and looting 10 animals. What the hell am I looting? It seems to be nothing but even more XP. You get some for killing and then a lot more for "looting".

Trey

This is really disheartening; I was at least expecting something like the bolded. Sounds like it'd be challenging for combat if there was a mode to play as one of the islanders, and survive Lara.

There are quivers of bows literally every ten feet. It's so ridiculous.

Every single theme that is played up in the cutscenes is immediately invalidated by the gameplay.

StuBurns

Banned
This game looks so amazing, really surprised by it's visuals. The opening sucked, but it's getting slowly better, the game manages to create a real mood and sense of place very quickly, and the storytelling is that nice level of cluttered as to create a sense of unease and confusion while still creating intrigue, it's good, apart from one major issue. Fuck Quick Time Events. Seriously, what the fuck? You want me to watch your cutscene? Fine, you want to press random buttons to make it continue, and if I don't, you make me do it again? Fuck that. We had a thread yesterday about if people should be critical of game design as an absolute, I can say as an absolute that these QTEs are notably damaging the quality of this game, and whoever decided to include them should feel pretty bad right now.

That sounds slightly disappointing. Collectibles are fine, but I was getting the impression that the game was offering more substantial side content than an extra half hour of tombs. Ah well, as long as the main story is cool.

Didn't mean to disappoint. The tombs are literally one physics puzzle each. It's almost strange that people spent so much time on the art only for you to pass through them in a couple minutes or so. I was expecting there to at least be tomb like environments during the main quest but so far, it's an action game with very good traversal.

The collectibles are little artifacts that Lara narrates a description of (expertly for some reason) and documents that give a little insight into the characters and the history of the island. Everything else is XP

Normally I wouldn't say anything, but your attitude has rubbed me the wrong way:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781

It's not anybody's stupidity. You're doing it wrong.

His reaction is understandable. It's annoying enough having morons whining about the tiniest detail being spoiled. But for someone to highlight the damn black bar and then blame someone else for being spoiled... absolutely ridiculous.

Didn't mean to disappoint. The tombs are literally one physics puzzle each. It's almost strange that people spent so much time on the art only for you to pass through them in a couple minutes or so. I was expecting there to at least be tomb like environments during the main quest but so far, it's an action game with very good traversal.

The collectibles are little artifacts that Lara narrates a description of (expertly for some reason) and documents that give a little insight into the characters and the history of the island. Everything else is XP

That's cool. I love it when collectibles help flesh out the story through text and audio. I'm a sucker for those.

Skilletor

All this fighting. Geez guys. The people that hate the game, let them hate it. It's pretty apparenty if you ask me, the majority of people are having a good time with this. So enjoy it. :d Let them worry about continuing a game they don't like or didn't like before they even bought it.

Who's fighting?

If people are allowed to come in this thread and oprah gif it up, why can't I talk about the things that are bothering me?

He reaction is understandable. It's annoying enough having morons whining about the tiniest detail being spoiled. But for someone to highlight the damn black bar and then blame someone else for being spoiled... absolutely ridiculous.

I agree with this, don't click any spoiler text and you are golden. Shesh

On topic though, I can't wait to get home and try this tonight.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Quick question: how much are you actually shooting?

If it's more then Uncharted (I hate the comparison, but you get what I mean) or the previous QD Tomb Raiders, wich I loved btw, I guess i'll pass.

EDIT: Collectible stuff above me sounds great, love those :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
His reaction is understandable. It's annoying enough having morons whining about the tiniest detail being spoiled. But for someone to highlight the damn black bar and then blame someone else for being spoiled... absolutely ridiculous.

It might be that someone is playing through the game and thinks he might be further than the person who posted, only for it to turn out that the spoiler tag is about something that comes later.

I don't see the problem in saying something like (third level spoiler)
spoiler here
. It takes like an extra three seconds out of your posting time.

I haven't played the game yet but I would like to participate in discussions while I'm playing through it, rather than have to wait until I beat the entire game before I can enter this thread.

Top Bottom