• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Finally encountered human enemies and now I'm doing endless stealth headshots with my bow. This game is going to be incredibly easy isn't it?

All of these games are. You don't go into it for the skill lol. It's the experience. No, really. I play Uncharted to feel like Indiana Jones. Not because the shooting is good.

Varna

Finally encountered human enemies and now I'm doing endless stealth headshots with my bow. This game is going to be incredibly easy isn't it?

Everyone has been saying this for the past few pages.

All of these games are. You don't go into it for the skill lol. It's the experience. No, really. I play Uncharted to feel like Indiana Jones. Not because the shooting is good.

Uncharted at least has that mode were you basically die if you are caught outside of cover.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Everyone has been saying this for the past few pages.

Uncharted at least has that mode were you basically die if you are caught outside of cover.

If you mean crushing, crushing is super easy too. I was surprised when UC2's crushing was easier than UC1's. Snipers are definitely one hit kills but otherwise you still have plenty of hits before you die.

Derrick01

Banned

The uncharted games are hard though, perhaps unfairly so and also because the shooting mechanics are so sub par. But still it can actually be pretty frustrating even on normal, but I'm on hard with this game and it feels like easy mode.

Varna

The uncharted games are hard though, perhaps unfairly so and also because the shooting mechanics are so sub par. But still it can actually be pretty frustrating even on normal, but I'm on hard with this game and it feels like easy mode.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but these games just fall apart difficulty wise if you use a mouse to aim.

I'm an expert

What Uncharted are you playing... those games are a yawn. I dunno about normal, I've only every played hard->crushing. Anyway, not a pissing a contest, just surprised people think those games of anything else out there are hard. The one good thing I heard about UC3 is I won't have to go to hard for crushing, can just do it off the bat.

Skilletor

I play games to play games. I watch movies for the experience.

I find this excuse for poor design decisions a poor one. She's supposed to be surviving, right? Make my arrows count. Make use of the level design so that, if I get spotted, it means something. Don't give me so much ammo and health that it never matters what I do wrong. My healing factor and headshots will get me out of any situation.

I'm an expert

I play games to play games. I watch movies for the experience.

I hear you, but we can have a giant debate about how "gamey" these kinds of games are. QTEs, hold up for everything, smash giant icon on the screen, sticky platforming, everything is lit up/glowing, etc. I'm just saying these specific games put less emphasis on being good at them than a dedicated action game does, or even a game from the RE series. This is why I enjoy the addition of mp to these games, because you actually hone skills instead of fighting dumb ai.

Zafir

Wow, the
rapist
QTE sequence has got to be one of the worst designed QTE's sequences ever. Who thought it was a good idea not to mention what buttons to press? (Could be a PC version issue, I'm not sure).

Slacker

Wow, the
rapist
QTE sequence has got to be one of the worst designed QTE's sequences ever. Who thought it was a good idea not to mention what buttons to press? (Could be a PC version issue, I'm not sure).

It's been some trial-and-error for me with kb/m and QTE scenes on the PC.

Speaking of that scene (the controversial scene somewhere in the first 25% of the game):

Was the touchy-feely scene with the Russian toned down? It was certainly uncomfortable, but didn't seem over-the-top stop-the-presses scandalous.

jwk94

So this is me (both guys) getting slain by Lara Croft (and her hair).

izTLXitkTA9jq.gif

Wait a minute! I'm 2 hrs into the game (just got the climbing axe) how do you melee?

antitrop

Wow, the
rapist
I bet the vast majority of people playing on a Mouse/Keyboard failed that the first time.

I know I did. It's not an issue on a controller.

strafer

Some of the death scenes man. A pipe through the fucking neck.

And
dat river of blood. Probably a nod to The Descent.

BluWacky

Wait a minute! I'm 2 hrs into the game (just got the climbing axe) how do you melee?

SPOILERS FOR GAMEPLAY

You don't get it until you've gone up enough levels to earn the ability - I think it's five levels or so. Then you can use the axe for melee attacks.

Jawmuncher

So I played a bit of MP.
It's not bad your typical 3rd person action fare.
However one thing bothers me. Unlike UC where everyone moves at a good pace and is agile. Tomb Raider everyone runs around like they got a dump in their pants. It just feels slower and for no real good reason.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What Uncharted are you playing... those games are a yawn. I dunno about normal, I've only every played hard->crushing. Anyway, not a pissing a contest, just surprised people think those games of anything else out there are hard. The one good thing I heard about UC3 is I won't have to go to hard for crushing, can just do it off the bat.

You haven't played UC3 yet? That game is a schizophrenic jumble of difficulty curves. Most of the game is pretty easy on Crushing, then you come to sections where you have to deal with enemies that have snipers, rocket launchers, shotguns, and grenades all at once. Then towards the end you have an on-rails vehicle section that gives you near zero cover and very sparse checkpoints.

No, UC3 is not a fun game to play on higher difficulties.

milkham

It's not as bad I imagined. I think people really played up that whole deer killing scene. In my head it sounded like Lara kills the dear and then proceeds to cry for 10 minutes only to go on a deer murdering rampage 5 minutes later. That scene is nowhere close to being like that though. I wonder if the rest of the narrative people have a problem with is like that.

I feel the same way about the first time she kills someone too.

I'm an expert

You haven't played UC3 yet? That game is a schizophrenic jumble of difficulty curves. Most of the game is pretty easy on Crushing, then you come to sections where you have to deal with enemies that have snipers, rocket launchers, shotguns, and grenades all at once. Then towards the end you have an on-rails vehicle section that gives you near zero cover and very sparse checkpoints.

No, UC3 is not a fun game to play on higher difficulties.

Nah, I specifically put it off because as someone who likes to plat games the copy and paste nature of the UC trophy lists really suck the fun out of it, especially when you're doing 3 of them in one generation. I'm not really worried about the difficulty though..it's Uncharted. Uncharted is easy for me. This game was supposed to be that UC feel but a bit of a different twist, but the truth is the trophy list is pretty vanilla here too.

nib95

Banned
Just ordered the PS3 version. Figure I'll trade it in for Ascension next week. Please tell me the PS3 version is the better one. That's what I've been reading..

vidcons

Banned
Combat should really force you to move around and get vertical in engagements, but it seems like you should really just sit behind a box and let every enemy run down the hallways and take every bullet.

There is seriously just this huge disconnect in the game between the player and Lara. You literally are protecting her through violence and ensuring she isn't dumb enough to walk off a ledge (although you might be). You press forward and point the gun, do some leaps and press the safety button when she is dangling by a thread. The character on her own will duck behind cover, choose her movement speed, and get the crap beat out of her. Those actions that I listed are so bland in implementation.

Like, since you have no agency as the character, all of your actions amount to making sure the character doesn't die.

and i still can't get over how i'm collect deer sinew to make a clip extender for my pistol. i leveled up from flipping a photo over and hearing Lara go "HE NEVER LEFT THIS ISLAND."

seriously, why is every relic and artifact (why is a photograph an artifact?) in an identical little chest.

there is no consistency with the narrative they're trying to create. a coming of age story but instead of the character growing or learning, it's Get Punched To Unlock Knowledge.

like, fuck this game

SPOILERS FOR GAMEPLAY

You don't get it until you've gone up enough levels to earn the ability - I think it's five levels or so. Then you can use the axe for melee attacks.
I advise everyone not to get the melee attack upgrades. Using your shoulder shove as a way to throw enemies from high ledges exclusively, or breaking their attack, is far more engaging in approaching combat situations.

Jarmel

Banned
Is there a point to hunting? You don't get hungry or anything. It feels like a pointless mechanic designed solely around XP.

Teleporter

Second time the game crashes for me all of sudden! TressFX gets a huge impact on my nvidia 660ti! dang! Dos anyone having issues of sudden crashes with nvidia cards? I`m using driver ver 314.07 this is my rig:

INTEL i5 3570k
ASUS P8Z77-V
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ CORSAIR VENGEANCE
MSI 660Ti PE 2GD5/OC
Windows8 Professional 64bit

Dahbomb

The only difficult section in UC3 was near the end when you had to fight those
Ghost Rider
enemies that couldn't be killed in one hit and they carried snipers/rocket launchers that one shotted you. Plus there was no place to take cover because you could be approached and killed from all sides.

rvy

Banned
Is there a point to hunting? You don't get hungry or anything. It feels like a pointless mechanic designed solely around XP.

No Snake Eater love it seems. I hate these new XP driven mechanics. They should have a bigger implication than that.

vidcons

Banned

smelt some pig hooves into a Sickly Chiseled Branch of Wood for you Upgraded Bow (PARTS OBTAINED, UPGRADE AT CAMPFIRE)

Skilletor

Second time the game crashes for me all of sudden! TressFX gets a huge impact on my nvidia 660ti! dang! Dos anyone having issues of sudden crashes with nvidia cards? I`m using driver ver 314.07 this is my rig:

INTEL i5 3570k
ASUS P8Z77-V
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ CORSAIR VENGEANCE
MSI 660Ti PE 2GD5/OC
Windows8 Professional 64bit

Do you have Tesselation on? That seems to be causing most people's problems.

anddo0

Is crashing the only issue with the PC version?

I can get this game for $25 PC via GMG. But if it's buggy I'll wait.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The only difficult section in UC3 was near the end when you had to fight those
Ghost Rider
enemies that couldn't be killed in one hit and they carried snipers/rocket launchers that one shotted you. Plus there was no place to take cover because you could be approached and killed from all sides.

Yeah those guys were annoying but at that point you get a pretty hefty arsenal thrown at you so you can take them out relatively quickly. You do kind of have to memorize their patterns though, because they can and will flank you at will.

That was my main issue with the combat in UC3: you had to memorize each encounter through trial-and-error, because most of the difficulty came from the way enemies spawned into the level behind you, rather than from intelligent AI or engaging encounter design.

Top Bottom