• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomodachi Life |OT| Please don't try to understand

MNC

Scrolling through last page, I still don't get this game. Is it primarily a mii dating Sim where you are the puppet master? Is this game worthy of full priced? I'm so confused.

NeoRausch

Hey, I'm new to this.... Game (?) and have a question:

You get stuff like toilet paper, soap, tissues etc.

Is that stuff just for collection purpose? Because I see no way to use it.

BooJoh

Hey, I'm new to this.... Game (?) and have a question:

You get stuff like toilet paper, soap, tissues etc.

Is that stuff just for collection purpose? Because I see no way to use it.

Sometimes you can give it to a Mii to give another Mii when trying to confess their love, but not often. Best bet is to just sell it all at the pawn shop, that way you have enough cash to buy out the new items at the shops every day.

NeoRausch

Sometimes you can give it to a Mii to give another Mii when trying to confess their love, but not often. Best bet is to just sell it all at the pawn shop, that way you have enough cash to buy out the new items at the shops every day.
Thanks!

Wait... toilet paper to confess your love? Sure makes sense.

Scrolling through last page, I still don't get this game. Is it primarily a mii dating Sim where you are the puppet master? Is this game worthy of full priced? I'm so confused.

It's Nintendogs with Miis, and the whole game is crazy. About the same level of interactivity.

Edit: Also, I believe there is a demo up on the eShop now for North America.

zroid

Banned
I'm trying to upload screenshots on my Twitter but damn the interface is sooooo slow. Must be because I have tons of screenshots from both this game and Animal Crossing but it's getting really tedious.

Plus you can't upload several pics at once. Ugh.

If you just want to upload the pics as opposed to tweet them, I'd recommend abload instead. Works well in the 3DS browser and you can upload multiple pics.

Machine

From my Miiverse:

WLOfDHv.jpg

Admiral Ackbar and Nikki's first child lol - oh gawd what has science done????

I named him 'Itwasatrap' and the way they say it is hilarious.

Most of the children born on my island so far have been pretty ugly. Once they start marrying and breeding, I shutter to think how their offspring will look. I suppose I could tinker with their appearance but where's the fun in that?

Marvie_3

Banned
Hey all, my wife is loving this. She's curious about the 100 resident limit. How or what let's her go above the 24 windows in her building? If she fills it up, does something happen automatically or?

Edit: Okay, she just found out it goes to 48 when you have 20 Miis apparently. She has 18 right now so it hasn't happened yet for her.

Good to know. I had been holding off on making more people because I didn't want to run out of spots right away.

Had my first married couple split earlier today.

Guessing their relationship resets to a state where they aren't friends (and would need to be built back up)?

Robin64

Anyone had a Mii that went to StreetPass Relay Island and sent a letter back then go on to other islands and send letters from those? Hoping my Mii isn't just going to be stuck there.

Today is French national day and there is balloons which looks like the French flag everywhere, awesome!

Pics!

BooJoh

Had my first married couple split earlier today.

Guessing their relationship resets to a state where they aren't friends (and would need to be built back up)?

Worse, there are categories for "Ex-Sweetheart" and "Ex-Spouse" and one or both of them might actively avoid the other. I'm not sure what it takes to get them on good terms with each other or get a chance for them to become sweethearts again.

Anyone had a Mii that went to StreetPass Relay Island and sent a letter back then go on to other islands and send letters from those? Hoping my Mii isn't just going to be stuck there.

My Mii that went to Relay Island hasn't sent me anything since. I don't know if it's because nobody with Tomodachi Life has passed that particular relay point since, or if they're lost in limbo, or what.

MrBS

I've quit the game after 65 hours. I had a good run. Nice bit of sillyness but this game was all consuming so I glad to have the monkey off my back!

Yeah it would be an interesting read because some of the localisation choices just don't seem to make sense.

Is it true the US version doesn't have the daily Word Chain event at the fountain?

BooJoh

Just had a news story about how the island held an event to cheer up Reggie after he stepped in dog poo.

I love this game.

kubus

Wow so it's true!?
Plus the Japanese version doesn't have the Observation Tower nor Rap Battles.
This is all pretty odd.....
The Japanese observation tower is located on the roof of the mansion. In the western localisation they moved it to an entirely different structure, the observation tower.

The differences between the EU and the NA versions are really strange.

Robin64

The US version has an American Football tapping game where the EU version has that as Wrestling. The Japanese version has that as Sumo, of course.

Not to mention, none of the descriptions for food and clothing are the same between US and EU. Some foods are different, but even the ones that are the same have different text.

Sakura Yume

Neo Member
Worse, there are categories for "Ex-Sweetheart" and "Ex-Spouse" and one or both of them might actively avoid the other. I'm not sure what it takes to get them on good terms with each other or get a chance for them to become sweethearts again.

I had two Miis that sadly divorced that I wanted back together and it was just a long wait until they got over it. Eventually, one said they missed the old times and wanted to get back together with them. I'm guessing if the other says no (if they can--kind of like when someone finally apologizes after originally saying no, I have yet to see the other person respond with anything but yay okay), then they hit a whole new wall, but if they say yes (like what happened with me), they go back to dating and you have to get them re-married and everything all over again.

beanman25

Okay, I love this game. Just got it, and it's hilarious.

I have myself, Don King, Bulma, and Lana Del Rey living together so far.

Lazaro

I just got an email from Nintendo Australia saying I've been selected to play the demo. Didn't the US get this email promotion ages ago?

"Dear Nintendo fan,
You've been selected to receive a free download code! Sample the beginning of Tomodachi Life on Nintendo 3DS and 2DS with this free download code* for the Tomodachi Life: Welcome Version!

Your download code: D0N7T3LLN306AF
You aren't getting my code.

Your Nintendo team"

So if your in Australia check your email inbox!

zroid

Banned
I hadn't played in the last couple days, and Alyssa (Miku's and RurouniZel's kid) already grew up without any involvement from me. How sad. :-(

Sent her off to StreetPassLand anyway. Happy travels!

Rasec

Man i'm really thinking of getting this game for me and also a copy for my best friend.

Is there a place where i can check qr codes of miis for this game or is google the best place?

Also, i really need a miku qr code for this xP.
btw, do you need internet to try the qr codes or offline is good?

BooJoh

Man i'm really thinking of getting this game for me and also a copy for my best friend.

Is there a place where i can check qr codes of miis for this game or is google the best place?

Also, i really need a miku qr code for this xP.
btw, do you need internet to try the qr codes or offline is good?

There are a lot of QR codes in this thread (I think someone even posted a Miku with a headset) and you do not need to be online to use a QR code.

What is The block size for this? Might pick t up digitally.

In the OP: 3,146 blocks.

Rasec

There are a lot of QR codes in this thread (I think someone even posted a Miku with a headset) and you do not need to be online to use a QR code.

yup, i found it. i've been searching and found some cool codes already.
Thanks a lot.

now with some luck i'll get the game today for me and my friend. \o/

Enjolras

Neo Member
I just got an email from Nintendo Australia saying I've been selected to play the demo. Didn't the US get this email promotion ages ago?

"Dear Nintendo fan,
You've been selected to receive a free download code! Sample the beginning of Tomodachi Life on Nintendo 3DS and 2DS with this free download code* for the Tomodachi Life: Welcome Version!

Your download code: D0N7T3LLN306AF
You aren't getting my code.

Your Nintendo team"

So if your in Australia check your email inbox!
I got a code too (UK) - so it must be EU/AU promo time.

Been wanting to try this for a while now, so it came at the perfect time. :)

d+pad

I never thought I'd become as addicted to this game as I have. Gah! Every time I think I'm about done, something happens to pull me back in. I guess that was Nintendo's plan all along, huh? :)

BTW, should anyone here want to populate their Tomodachi Life islands with a few pop divas, I just published a post on my blog containing QR codes for Bjork, Cher, Grace Jones, Hikaru Utada and Madonna. Here's a link: http://www.thegaygamer.com/2014/07/diva-pop-star-qr-codes-for-your-tomodachi-life-3ds-island.html

Top Bottom