• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/sports/tonyhawksunderground2/review.html

"All in all, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 is a strong skateboarding game, though if you've remained devoted to the series, you might not be so impressed with its changes. Nevertheless, the gameplay remains fast, fluid, and exciting. The visuals are, for the most part, pretty sharp, and the story mode, though short and devoid of much of the character development that made up most of the previous game's story, is still fun to blast through. So fans of the series will definitely have some good times with THUG2, though you'll probably also come away feeling that THUG2 is merely more of the same."

ManaByte

Gold Member
THUG1 killed the series for me. I have zero interest in the sequel.

They should just go back to the Tony Hawk 4 style. I hate the adventure game format.

Come to think of it, I'm getting so fucking sick of the whole "GTA" style free-roaming gameplay to the point where I'm not even interested in getting GTA:SA on launch day. NFSU2 is doing it, Jak 2 did, Spider-Man 2, etc. It bores me now and makes the developers look too lazy to actually create gameplay content. Kojima does it right with MGS. Have a linear story-driven game, but give the players the freedom of a GTA style game in each area as opposed to the whole damn world.

impirius

I preordered this because of the inclusion of Classic Mode and online play on PS2. I just hope Classic Mode is as tight as it was in THPS2 and 2X.

BuddyC

ManaByte said:
Come to think of it, I'm getting so fucking sick of the whole "GTA" style free-roaming gameplay to the point where I'm not even interested in getting GTA:SA on launch day. NFSU2 is doing it, Jak 2 did, Spider-Man 2, etc. It bores me now and makes the developers look too lazy to actually create gameplay content. Kojima does it right with MGS. Have a linear story-driven game, but give the players the freedom of a GTA style game in each area as opposed to the whole damn world.

I don't know how I overlooked this before, but I firmly believe you're dead on here.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
ManaByte said:
THUG1 killed the series for me. I have zero interest in the sequel.

They should just go back to the Tony Hawk 4 style. I hate the adventure game format.

Hahaha! I'm writing a thread about this as I type this. I can't believe someone else feels the same way I do. I'm so fucking sick of free roaming too.

Hellraizah

AlphaSnake said:
Hahaha! I'm writing a thread about this as I type this. I can't believe someone else feels the same way I do. I'm so fucking sick of free roaming too.
Make that two.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I thought the story in THUG sounded like it was written by a bunch of skaters high on the wacky weed. I don't know how it could get any worse...?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Mrbob said:
So is THUG online for Xbox?

Why isn't THUG 2 online? That is crazy....

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater has never been online on Xbox, unless you count XB Connect I guess.

Fifty

Neversoft must have some deal with Sony. I don't mind the lack of online play. I have my custom soundtracks, and the replay value for me in TH games is beating my high scores.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
AlphaSnake said:

I've been saying this for years gentlemen. Hence why I'll never pick up a "GTA-Style" game.

On Neversoft not supporting live....

IGN: Xbox Live is very popular. It's constantly growing and upgrading, and in terms of online services, it's top quality. You've had the Tony Hawk series on PlayStation 2 for three games now (since Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3), since 2001. Why isn't Tony Hawk's Underground 2 on Xbox Live? From the outside, it looks as if Neversoft and Activision are punishing Xbox users, or at the very least, refusing to give Xbox owners their due respect. Why isn't THUG 2 on Xbox Live?

Joel: We led the way with online console gaming on the PS2 and that feature set has grown every year. It is not something we cannot continue to support. It is a question of how and where we apply resources, and at this point we have to support that which we have already invested so much time into previously. With that said, we are certainly not trying to punish anyone, and we very much respect Xbox owners. In fact, I play the game on the Xbox at my house all of the time.

Never Soft can eat the corn outta my skippy crack. :mad:

Mrbob

Joel: We led the way with online console gaming on the PS2 and that feature set has grown every year. It is not something we cannot continue to support. It is a question of how and where we apply resources, and at this point we have to support that which we have already invested so much time into previously. With that said, we are certainly not trying to punish anyone, and we very much respect Xbox owners. In fact, I play the game on the Xbox at my house all of the time.

*Cough*Bullshit*Cough*

Microsoft should stop wanting to play big brother with everything that comes through XBox live, then you'll get yer THUG on Xbox Live. Blame MS.

THUG and THUG 2 have so much shit you can create and bring with you for your online experience. Microsoft wants to monitor everything that comes through, ie: Penis face maps or graffiti. Sony doesnt do this, MS does, sony = less hassle.

The end

The first THUG had a story that was so terrible, so contrived, so juvenile, that it made me lose all interest in this series. If I'm supposed to be playing myself, how come I'm screaming at the screen for "myself" being such a gullible dumbass?

The earlier Tonys had humour, but some of the stuff in the new ones is just dumb. I'm getting the vibe much more strongly that they are creating the "attitude" of this game to appeal to the average 12 year old. I guess my first clue should have been the THUG abbreviation, yo! :)

Fifty

The game's story is pretty much an extension of Jackass and Viva La Bam. I don't like it, but I'm such a fan of the gameplay, and the level designs are so good that I bought it in spite of that :(

ManaByte

Gold Member
Infinitemadness said:
Microsoft should stop wanting to play big brother with everything that comes through XBox live, then you'll get yer THUG on Xbox Live. Blame MS.

THUG and THUG 2 have so much shit you can create and bring with you for your online experience. Microsoft wants to monitor everything that comes through, ie: Penis face maps or graffiti. Sony doesnt do this, MS does, sony = less hassle.

The end

I'll take the closed MS system over the hacked to all hell PS2 system where unless you cheat, it's not worth playing an online PS2 game. People in Tony Hawk 3 and 4 with perfect balance and never fall codes = teh suck.

Top Bottom