• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Whats his proper character like?

Watch FMAB and find out.

---

(Ill spoil this just because.)

Outside of the ending, my least favorite part (or at least the one that sticks out in my memory) about FMA is when
Wrath takes Trisha's ashes (or whatever it was), puts it into himself for some reason, and then merges himself when sloth because she's his mommy and he wants to be with her forever. This disables her and allows Ed to turn her into ethanol and she evaporates. The whole series of events is just too contrived and phony to allow what should be an emotional scene to work.

Seda

Not sure if that was you Seda but thank you.

nah, thanks for the message though.

The #1 thing most moderators wished people did more is PM issues to us rather than whine 'why is this not bannable' or 'why is this tolerated' when usually it's because we didn't see it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Outside of the ending, my least favorite part (or at least the one that sticks out in my memory) about FMA is when
Wrath takes Trisha's ashes (or whatever it was), puts it into himself for some reason, and then merges himself when sloth because she's his mommy and he wants to be with her forever. This disables her and allows Ed to turn her into ethanol and she evaporates. The whole series of events is just too contrived and phony to allow what should be an emotional scene to work.
FMAB this weekend! Or next week?
Movie tomorrow.
Anyways, lol that scene. I love how she
tells him to detach to survive, meaning he could have earlier to save them both :p

Not sure if that was you Seda but thank you.
cntrl+f "banned"
nope, we're all fine

We are getting dangerously close to Naruto being open spoilers :-/

I feel like certain elements of Naruto at this point are going to have to be, kind of like trying to say Gohan or Trunks being the son of Goku or Vegeta is a spoiler. Obviously Naruto has not finished airing in the US nor has it even finished airing in Japan so it's not as open spoiler like DBZ, but it will be in the future.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Okay uh my issues in a few things. NO FMAB SPOILERS GUYS. Some points are shamelessly stolen from Bass, as we discussed it.

-Mecha archer. This man should be dead, half of you cant be a mech im pretty sure
Seems plausible in a world filled with automail.
-Only 7 people have done human transmutations?? THATS IT? Also on that note if the homunculus only appear when one is done how did Ed not notice the one he made IN THE SMALL ROOM HE WAS IN? Also in said case that he had seen her, he would instantly assume he revived his mom properly.
He saw that thing and burned it right away. The reason there are only seven of them is that Dante has to come along and feed them some philosopher's stone.
-Sloth=his mom also makes no goddamn sense in this light, and none of the non-canon homonculi have anything to do with their sins

Wrath is pretty fucking angry actually, but you are right about Sloth.
-The tapped phone line about 10 episodes back led to sloth freaking out at the girls listening in when in reality there is no reason she should know they were listening
I guess she figured it out by looking around off camera? Who cares as that is one of the best parts of FMA, Chesna thinking it is aliens.
-The kid having Eds arm/leg makes no sense if this gate leads to another world i mean why the hell did a random kid even exist in the gate. The show completely ignores the shadow people. Also stealing body parts shouldnt lead to you assuming life is fine.
The arm and the leg (and Al's body) aren't in the other world, they were the price paid to the gate. Wrath just took them with him when he was born.
-Al shouldnt have been able to revive Ed besides the fact the writers okay'd it.
Umm, why not? He's the philosopher's stone. It allows human transmutation and its not like Ed's Soul is far away or anything.
-Also because you stole someones body parts doesn't make the person you stole from's mother your mother, that makes no goddamn sense.
Wrath is a moron and his power revolves around absorbing things to take their properties, so he is trying to justify it. He's got Ed's arm and leg, so, close enough. The real question is that if he had access to stuff from the gate why oh why he didn't just take Al's body instead. That would have been fun.
-The gate leading to an alternate earth makes no sense, and the alchemy+tech vs world of tech makes no sense, because when they present it in this light, they actually try to avoid mentioning the fact that alchemy world HAS tech, so really our earth just kind of sucks. On that note, if transmutations are stealing from that, it makes no sense that it costs anything from Ed/Al's world, since the price of "equalness" is
paid by our earth. Literally, I have no clue why this plot point was introduced.
Gates lead places, what's wrong with one of them being the real world?
-I like how a destroyed village was introduced to the plot and promptly forgotten, because nobody would have mentioned that issue!
It's hinted at throughout the series that the city under Central was once this world's captial of the catholic church (and not Rome) and that they destroyed the entire religion with that first philosopher's stone.
-Dante being the antagonist makes no sense whatsoever seeing as Ed's father is set up pretty decently for the role yet its given to a random character whos in the exact same prediciment as him, for REASONS.
(antagonist)
It's called a swerve bro. He's given up on that lifestyle, she hasn't.
-Dante's has the ability to ignore equality rules. This makes no sense. Nor does it try to explain it. Dante literally says "these dont apply to me" so they dont apply...okay then...
Equivalent exchange isn't real is in fact a major message of this version of FMA. Ed's dad makes this point entirely real. Alchemists think it is but are ignoring the energy needed to make all of this happen.
-The Elric father dissapeared because he didnt want his kids to see him slowly die/his condition. this is nonsensical, because it's not really a valid reason to run away and you know, abandon your kids?
He was reformed and didn't want to live his life, decaying and dying on the backs of other souls anymore. It was, of course a bit of a selfish move and if he had stuck around and explained this to his kids things would have been better.
-We have no clue why Al has memory loss or why Ed ended up on the other side of the gate, as far as previous plot points. It's bad writing.
Mysteries are mysteries.
-Ed adapts to being with his father way too quickly, considering the fact he hated the man for all previous parts of the show.
He's still pissed at him!
-Bradley tries to kill his kid which lets Roy get the item of his weakness, which is BS, seeing as he could have told his kid to run away for a much easier solution.
He's an irredeemable monster who has been faking it this whole time.

Whats his proper character like?

I love original FMA, including the ending. I actually think it's less bs than the ending of the manga in some ways. The movie...yeah, it kinda ruins the ending.

Crocodile

I enjoyed the FMA 03 anime but I constantly forget how stupid the ending was and have to laugh all over again when I'm reminded.

Regarding the ending to Brotherhood/Manga, the only argument I've ever hear against the it always boils down to "it was too happy". Never really understood that point - people died, sacrifices were made, plot points were resolved, character arcs come to their proper conclusions but the future is still left with some mystery. It's a solid ending. I don't see the problem with it unless someone waned a "kill'em all Tomino" style ending. Those aren't always good.

Grexeno

Graduation is 4 weeks from Friday and I still am nowhere close to having a job.

ihBBo20exzV7e.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

ihBBo20exzV7e.gif

Try not to worry too much, it took me 4 months to get my first freelance gig and 2 months after that ended to get my second. Then another 4 after that one for my third. I'd like to think I'm building up to a full-time spot somewhere.

What I'm saying is don't panic yet, it takes a while since everyone wants to pinch someone from someone else instead of giving young people a shot.

Grexeno

Try not to worry too much, it took me 4 months to get my first freelance gig and 2 months after that ended to get my second. Then another 4 after that one for my third. I'd like to think I'm building up to a full-time spot somewhere.

What I'm saying is don't panic yet, it takes a while since everyone wants to pinch someone from someone else instead of giving young people a shot.
What's your major/profession? I'm about to graduate (hopefully lol) with a Biochemistry degree.

ihBBo20exzV7e.gif

Dude, I was umemployed for a year after graduation. 5 years later and I still might as well be since the only reason I have a job now is because of nepotism.

Just don't worry about it. It's tough finding something out there, especially in this climate.

Hey man at least you are going to graduate, I'm still trying to pay off my student loans with my entry level wal-mart job and a half finished education degree :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What's your major/profession? I'm about to graduate (hopefully lol) with a Biochemistry degree.

I'm a writer and a copy editor, majored in journalism. I'm at NYU right now for a certification in the latter in the hopes it'll lead to a solid spot somewhere.

You might need a masters to do something with that, the physics department at NYU gives their better masters candidates teaching jobs while they're there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure what I'm gonna do after I graduate. I'm aiming for a major/minor combination of Computer Science & Information Technologies. I think I technically graduate from college this fall (I gotta ask), but I still have quite a while before before I actually earn the degrees since I went to a community college my first three years.

Seda

currently in grad school (materials science and engineering), so sorta a pseudo-job. more concerned with immediate tasks rather than big picture stuff at the moment, haha.

at least i get a stipend

Grexeno

You might need a masters to do something with that, the physics department at NYU gives their better masters candidates teaching jobs while they're there.
My GPA probably isn't going to be better than "good enough", though. I suppose if unemployment drags on for a while I might have no choice though.

Crocodile

currently in grad school (materials science and engineering), so sorta a pseudo-job. more concerned with immediate tasks rather than big picture stuff at the moment, haha.

at least i get a stipend

I have a commitee meeting in a few weeks and they are going to ask me "we are you going to be working in 12-18 months"

I'm not looking forward to that meeting. Gonna be doing a lot of schmoozing this fall at SVP. Hopefully my AMNH connections pull through.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think my problem is I feel like all the places I'd like to work for are located in California, but I need to keep reminding myself I'm gonna have start small within my state (Michigan) before I can get a shot at a "dream" job, especially since I have to get money to actually move there first and get a place to live.

Gonna take Calculus during the summer, but I wanna see if I can find a summer project I could work on that could also be good to show/mention when applying for a job.

bigkrev

ihBBo20exzV7e.gif

I didn't get a "real" job till close to 3 years after graduating (granted, I had a 14$/hour Lifeguarding job year round but it was killing me to not be doing something to advance in life). I actually took a paycut to get into my first real job, but 6 months later I was doing great financially, having been moved to full time w/salary.

That said, I did multiple internships post graduation that weren't really related to my major, but were fascinating experiences. Highly recommended if you can't get a job, because it keeps you busy and gives you networking experience.

daveo42

Banned

ihBBo20exzV7e.gif

I'm sure you'll find something, even if it's temporary. If so, you just need to keep looking for something either in your field or something you really want to do.

Good luck man. You'll do fine.

ITI major with a cert in game production/design and with a minor in Digital Communications and Media, with hopefully only a year left till graduation. Figured I should go for a computer science degree, but school in combination with a job and my own personal laziness made me change my mind on that. Might go after a degree for CS after I graduate though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of my professors said "find something that you love & get paid to do it", but as great as that sounds, I'm keeping my expectations in check. Even something like tech support or fixing/figuring out problems with computers would be nice since while I don't love it, it's something I know I'm good at and wouldn't mind (finally) getting paid to do.

.........I guess if we're on the topic of talking about ourselves & being unsure about the future, I'm still hoping to figure out a day which I can actually meet the girl my dad was telling me about. Finally met her on Easter, but it was only a handshake & hello, then stuff came up where she was unavailable, then this weekend I'm unavailable because I have to help fill gift bags & then do the coat check at a hair show, then finals will slowly be creeping up. The chance to go out with a woman finally comes up after all these years, and I feel like life wants to keep finding ways to prevent from actually happening.

Sorry, just wanted to vent, and this was probably the only appropriate time to do so.

LOLDSFAN

Also graduating in a few weeks.

The job I have now requires I'm a full time student. If I don't get a career job within X amount of time my bosses said my position is always there if I decided to get an MBA or something.

Jintor

Job market might be different where you are. At 20 I was interning for a magazine, but that was a lot of luck really. I had been working as a junk mail deliverer for two or three years by that point though.

One of my professors said "find something that you love & get paid to do it", but as great as that sounds, I'm keeping my expectations in check. Even something like tech support or fixing/figuring out problems with computers would be nice since while I don't love it, it's something I know I'm good at and wouldn't mind (finally) getting paid to do.

.........I guess if we're on the topic of talking about ourselves & being unsure about the future, I'm still hoping to figure out a day which I can actually meet the girl my dad was telling me about. Finally met her on Easter, but it was only a handshake & hello, then stuff came up where she was unavailable, then this weekend I'm unavailable because I have to help fill gift bags & then do the coat check at a hair show, then finals will slowly be creeping up. The chance to go out with a woman finally comes up after all these years, and I feel like life wants to keep finding ways to prevent from actually happening.

Sorry, just wanted to vent, and this was probably the only appropriate time to do so.

Join the club man

tumblr_lrxo5oRcul1qk2i4fo1_500.gif

Not that I necessarily care that I'm single, but replace that with just trying to find free time for myself outside of school, work and intern/job hunting.

I'm 24 and still haven't gotten a job yet. I can't really do anything that I have to stand to do because I'm so out of shape and my feet get really sore after about an hour. There's also the part of me being autistic and having trouble doing anything around other people without struggling a ton.

Bio-Frost

I didn't get a job for 2 years after I finished college. After that got a contract job at sony bend. Was just hired on as a full time employee two weeks ago!

I didn't get a job for 2 years after I finished college. After that got a contract job at sony bend. Was just hired on as a full time employee two weeks ago!

Grats! I should continue college (only got my AA degree from a local community college) but I'm not sure how I would function being there on my own and taking classes with other people (every class I took at my community college except one was online).

Jintor

I have a job now but actually I guess it's closer to a weird period where I've mentally written off the next year and a half as "well you're doing something weird and it's not really gonna help too much unless you really buckle down on learning Japanese properly and even then it won't be as useful as you think"

hey, at least i'm gettin' paid

and am in japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom