• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Forget Toonami, I want to talk about Ghost in the Shell.

Toonami didn't air the last nine episodes when they were rerunning 2nd GIG, and I decided to marathon through these yesterday. As I stated then, the most concise way I can describe this ending is "messy".

First of all, it combines two narrative 'tropes' that I really don't care much for at all. First would be "nukes" in a nutshell. Yeah, in a pseudo-future show like GitS, nuclear threats aren't unreasonable at all, but I still find it to be a lazy, cheap, boring, most simple way possible way to sets the stakes high. More a personal taste thing than anything, it's simply not an interesting primary impetus for the main characters. (I also don't like that the whole overarching Robin thing in One Piece seemingly boils down to "nukes" either.) Second is when an antagonist character's endgame involves a type of "new human evolution". Perhaps more a JRPG thing than an anime thing, this trope is so overdone, vapid, and vague. In this case, it was a more minor point than main goal - still rolled my eyes hard when Kuze started spouting this nonsense.

More problematic though, is how overstuffed the climax feels. You have several different storylines tying themselves up in an exceptionally cluttered fashion. You have Kuze launching his 'revolution' and how Gouda fits into that, the friction between Section 4 and Section 9, Kuze and Motoko's relationship in a past life, the Prime Minister's struggles in heading her cabinet, the Tachikoma's forming a sort of consciousness and sacrifice, even a sudden random inclusion of a new prototype bio cyborg that seems superfluous to everything else.

I might sound like I'm whining a lot - there were still a number of scenes, stand-alone (hah), that were enjoyable in a vacuum. Some of the chase after Kuze scenes & the final confrontation with Gouda for example. Despite all the messiness, it manages to be somewhat enjoyable. But overall, things come to a head in a very manner that's not very well constructed.

Crocodile

I have no idea how you escaped that one unscathed

Yeah I stumbled upon that thread LOL. Though you realize it now, what you said Regiruler, given the context, was really fucking stupid. Like death wish stupid. Like you should have made several fewer posts in there stupid because you were only digging yourself deeper until your very last post.

I wonder what's happening in the Xenoblade X stream thre

oh

Is curious.......
Walks into thread........

Oh FFS :/

Seda

I don't really understand why people feel the need to consume all the streams and all the the import footage before they can get their hands on the game.

Jarate

Banned
Spoilers for man god's sake

people are surprised at the titties in a japanese game correct?

I don't really understand why people feel the need to consume all the streams and all the the import footage before they can get their hands on the game.

It's a mixture of hype culture (GOTTA GET HYPED FOR NEW RELEASE #33) and a mixture of people wanting to see the game before they purchase it (people who have been scarred by said hype culture.

I have unfortunately went through Brink and that killed any and all hope of me ever getting hyped to that stage again. People overhype themselves way too much in this industry and then blame the devs for overhyping them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Spoilers just make me want to click on it...

wzoqCfs.gif

Regiruler

Games were a mistake

Also I only got to sleep at like 5 last night, coupled with the upcoming concert and some asssignments I need to finish I'm jittery as fuck.

I sometimes forget tea actually has caffeine until I drink a quart of it.

Jarate

Banned
Games were a mistake

Also I only got to sleep at like 5 last night, coupled with the upcoming concert and some asssignments I need to finish I'm jittery as fuck.

I sometimes forget tea actually has caffeine until I drink a quart of it.

Coffee is a mans best friend

learn to love the black coffee, chicks dig a guy who likes black coffee
Other dudes also dig a guy who likes black coffee

Jarate

Banned
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRO.......

*censorship argument*

NOOOOOOPE. Gaf goes into an all-out war when censorship involving games from Japan are involved.

Gaf goes in a full out war over practically everything

It's basically become the overreaction olympics, where people have to get pissed about another thing every week/3 days.

I honestly blame 4chan for normalizing this culture among gamers. All the outrage and shitposting with no respect for actual logic reminds me a lot like 4chan /v/ circa 2009-2010

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

airplane-coffee-quote.jpg

Speaking of chicks & coffee, meeting that girl in a few hours at a coffee shop. Today has been either "Ah, that's right, it's today, no biggie" and "OH GOD IT'S TODAY I SO HOPE I DON'T SCREW UP THIS SUPER RARE CHANCE"

Just be myself, she should like you for who you are & now what you've done, etc.

Jarate

Banned
airplane-coffee-quote.jpg

Speaking of chicks & coffee, meeting that girl in a few hours at a coffee shop. Today has been either "Ah, that's right, it's today, no biggie" and "OH GOD IT'S TODAY I SO HOPE I DON'T SCREW UP THIS SUPER RARE CHANCE"

Just be myself, she should like you for who you are & now what you've done, etc.

broski, just remember she's prolly having the same feelings right now. Just have a fun time and enjoy yourself. Remember, use the spiral power to do the impossible

Regiruler

>too tired to go to 10am mass, the only day in the entire semester I've had to go to the 8pm
>8pm tonight happens to be the greek mass, making the extra crap bound to be ultra obnoxious

FUCK

Tea was the problem.
I drank a quart of sheetz' delicious mango sweet tea before toonami last night.
Or whatever their largest cup size is.

Going to coffee wouldn't have made that any better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just show her the SK2 announcement instead. If she says she has it on preorder then you know you are good to go.
I was actually just thinking yesterday "alright, what games/animes/etc. am I gonna have to stop playing/watching" since I figured if I want to take this seriously, I would probably have to stop playing stuff like SK or DoA (I stay faaaar away from Idea Factory or other games like Dungeon Travelers 2 where it's much more in-your-face) or watching shows like Kill la Kill. I guess as I continue to know how to separate reality from fiction, not be obsessed (i.e I don't buy figures & other merchandise), and it's not flat-out smut/pr0n, I should be fine. Guess it's just this thought that I had of "women only want you to look at them & no other female".

Appreciate the support, guys. I sometimes overthink things which gets me more worried than I should be. But I'll stop derailing this thread and get back to Toonami/last night's shows.

so i'm the only one bothered by diable jambe out of nowhere?
It was born from his burning passion to save Robin!

.....well & I guess what Man God said as well.

op259.JPG

Reminder that Sanji fought a guy who could create fire via friction.

Luffy's not the only one who is observant in battle. >.>

And even if he hadn't just seen the move, no we didn't need a scene of all the straw hats training or discovering new moves for these fights. The whole series characters have experimented with new moves or pulled out new move ideas based upon things they had seen from others. We're nearly 300 episodes into a series where characters pull out new techniques or items frequently with no/little explanation being upset about this one randomly at this point is just silly.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Y'all complain when a show like Inuyasha explains every little detail three times in a row and then complain when another show allows you to draw obvious conclusions for what is happening.

The only BS about powerups in this particular arc of One Piece is that it all takes place over two days, most of it over a matter of hours after Ice Pops was shot!

And even if he hadn't just seen the move, no we didn't need a scene of all the straw hats training or discovering new moves for these fights. The whole series characters have experimented with new moves or pulled out new move ideas based upon things they had seen from others. We're nearly 300 episodes into a series where characters pull out new techniques or items frequently with no/little explanation being upset about this one randomly at this point is just silly.

Everything else has seemed vaguely plausible that it was just a move they hadn't used yet or figured out at some point in the time between islands. Second Gear kind of has this issue as well, but that felt like less of an instant-win move than it did with Sanji (and you can also argue Luffy didn't actually have time to use it then and never needed to before that). And there's also the part where we've never seen the large gap in abilities be bridged almost immediately the way we have with fighting CP9, but hey. Sure, it's still preferable to training or whatever, but are we really going to act like the fact that it's never referenced is some quality writing here?

Y'all complain when a show like Inuyasha explains every little detail three times in a row and then complain when another show allows you to draw obvious conclusions for what is happening.

The only BS about powerups in this particular arc of One Piece is that it all takes place over two days, most of it over a matter of hours after Ice Pops was shot!

We really going to call remembering something that happened over a year ago that never gets referenced an obvious conclusion? One Piece has some nice subtleties throughout, but I'd hardly call this one of them, especially when it's pretty obvious about other stuff; it just feels like they forgot to bring it up at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real funny thing when reading some of these threads back is people missing shit in Inuyasha when they just got done explaining it themselves two or three times over.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At the very least, they're looking into it. Could've just cut the credits out, even if the transition would've been weird.

If that has you confused, Oni, then there's
another powerup coming soon that makes even less sense than Diable Jambe.

I've seen this arc before. (not really a spoiler but will spoiler tag anyway)
I feel that the handling of the majority of the powerups throughout this arc has been kind of sketchy; Enies Lobby is good, but it's got more than enough problems to prevent me from calling it my favorite in the series like a lot of people do. Definitely the best one in the anime, though, since Toei ruined the War arc.

I've seen this arc before. (not really a spoiler but will spoiler tag anyway)
I feel that the handling of the majority of the powerups throughout this arc has been kind of sketchy; Enies Lobby is good, but it's got more than enough problems to prevent me from calling it my favorite in the series like a lot of people do. Definitely the best one in the anime, though, since Toei ruined the War arc.

I actually feel the same, more or less. Luffy's Third Gear and Diable Jambe fall into the sketchy category, and Zoro's powerup is a complete asspull regardless of the excuses made for it.

I actually feel the same, more or less. Luffy's Third Gear and Diable Jambe fall into the sketchy category, and Zoro's powerup is a complete asspull regardless of the excuses made for it.

(related to the end of Enies Lobby)
I've also felt the ending of the arc was kind of nonsense, too. Water Seven/Enies Lobby has really great highs, but it definitely has some lows. Some people say Alabasta is better, but I've never really agreed with that. It's more consistent, sure, but it doesn't have anything close to the great moments for Enies Lobby and Water Seven

Raxus

that's kinda still out of nowhere if he's never used it before; like, at least Luffy referenced observing the shave technique

One Piece alludes to power ups at best but there is never any direct training arcs and when the series draws to a really big one later on it cuts it out and moves to the next arc.

Sanji's spin managed to hurt Blueno and Sanji's Master was nicknamed Red Leg. He also saw Gonzo's move. So you can make a rational at least. Chopper's, Nami's, and Sniper Kings new power ups make sense thanks to Skypeia and how Rumble Balls work. I will comment on the rest if they come.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I do enjoy OP's goofy for the sake of goofy momments, hehe. I like how he existed as a form he just got hours ago in a "20 years ago!" flashback, heh heh.

Great stuff SAB, DBZ and SAO's drawings are the best.

Kirito really should have gotten his head blown off several times that episode.

I was SHOCKED when he actually took some chip damage!

That DBZ/SAO II one is fan-fucking-tastic, SAB.

So easy, so fun, lol. I always love how PROUD OF HIMSELF our first Elder Namekian looks, haha. "I'VE CHANGED THE COURSE OF NAMEKIAN HISTORY!" Yeah... for a bit, anyway!

Yeah, after being reminded what the post-credit scene was for KlK, that is just unacceptable considering it's rather important. It's not just some silly "filler" scene, it was pretty much setting up part of the 2nd half of the series.

Can't wait for next week for people to be all confused and "WHAT THE HELL, when did this happen?!" thanks to the omission.

Also, at least in SAO S1, that scene would've made scene considering once everyone was trapped, they were changed to what they looked like in real life. Here, it's clearly not Sinon, so why the hell does she care.

Yeah, I looked it up, and I'm quite surprised they would cut so much. Should add it back in as pre-pre-credit scenes next week!

As far as why she'd care... well, they do take this world pretty seriously. She even explains to us in the episode that she feels like a whole new, second person within the game.

Same idea as to how a person would be embarrassed to be seen in lingerie that covers about the same amount as the swim suit they'd wear on a beach. It's less about what's shown, and more about the fact you're doing something you shouldn't at a time that wasn't of their choosing.

I do find it goofy she took it SO SERIOUSLY, though. "NOW WE'RE ENEMIES AND I HATE YOU!!" Coulda cooled off at least a bit.

Great stuff? Bring Ninja Scroll to Toonami?
"No Not Kagome " really did stick out for a lot us, didn't it?

Ninja Scroll was on Sci Fi, so hey, might as well!

I had to laugh at Kohaka even before seeing it mentioned here, haha. He REALLY didn't sound like he cared at all.

And surprisingly, I'm not even too bothered by his NOT-DEATH. If he REALLY died, I would have felt it was a bit too heavy a cost after all Sango has been through. I do think it's a bit ridiculous that Kikyo's post-death power can choose to give Kohaku a second chance at life, however. That seems a bit beyond what she should be allowed to do. I could see her giving him a few HOURS, or such... but not re-incarnation.

I don't think it's wrong or out of character that she'd leave that as a last will, though. A bit of personal atonement to try and win browny points in the afterlife!

I was more annoyed with the whole "GEAR" system Luffy shows off, when I first heard of it. It... just ... how? It looks cool, but how did he even think to do that? Where was the explanation other than "I needed to be stronger!!"?

Even in the past, I assume the Diamble as a reference to Red Leg Zeff, so I always thought it was pretty cool. And he looks so cool in the iconic pose that I just ran with it.

I don't get why it burns so bad that it beats Iron Body, however. Friction Flames hotter than hard core martial arts body training! Why not just light him of fire with a match, if it were that easy...

LOLDSFAN

You're not.

It bothers me too. For a show that has slow enough pacing as is you would think they would actually take the time showing us them creating or perfecting these moves. It's one of the things that I like about Naruto and Bleach. There's a sense of progression and accomplishment.

tumblr_inline_nneksmMJyl1qhazvy_500.gif

"And I also saw your gurl's virtual bod, breh."

t9bLijR.gif

Grexeno

It bothers me too. For a show that has slow enough pacing as is you would think they would actually take the time showing us them creating or perfecting these moves. It's one of the things that I like about Naruto and Bleach. There's a sense of progression and accomplishment.
LMAO

Using Rasengan/Getsuga Tencho over and over and over again suuuure shows progression

KLK: MakoXRyuko 5ever

gamagoori can fall right into the forever alone pit

SAO: I wish Kirito had found some other excuse to not change in front of her, that way we could keep hearing Bryce's girl voice. And Sinon could fall for Kirito but be conflicted by it because she thinks she's falling in love with another girl~

You're not.

I'm sorry but using Naruto and Bleach as examples is just wrong here. While One Piece could perhaps afford a bit more explanation in where the characters got the ideas for their power ups, it still handles this subject way better then "I train all day to do the same 3 things over and over again" Naruto or "check out my new power up, it's not even my final form" Bleach

ckohler

This week’s reviews!

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - There were some good albeit brief battles in this episode. Those are some big Dragon Balls you got there, Freeza. With seemingly every good guy having the ability to hide their power levels, you’d think these big shots would be more used to it by now. Freeza’s new voice is fine with me so far. I don’t mind it. At first I thought the scouters could magically detect Dragon Balls but now it makes more sense that they were just using them to find the most powerful Namekians. Good plan to destroy them first, old dude! Too bad you’re probably dead meat. Rating: Sufficiently Worthy

Kill la Kill - The fight between monster Ryuko and Satsuki was epic but in the end it was Mako who saved the day. She really is the greatest. Ryuko loosing her way is a common theme in this show, so get used to it. She means well enough but the girl doesn’t have any self control, hence the theme song. In case you didn’t notice, monster Kyuko’s horns on her head were actually her lower fangs jutting through. Ouch! Nui is really a joy to watch. She’s such a fun villain. As for Satsuki, I love the shot of her walking with the Elite Four, giving them orders to save the students. She’s such a badass. Her will really is absolute. As for the omitted scene, I’m glad to read that DeMarco is checking into it. There is at least one, possibly two, more in this series. Rating: A perfect all-over tan!

For those who missed ASSauLTxMasTER’s post last night, here is the scene in WebM format. It’s a pretty important scene that wraps up this arc sets up the next one.

http://a.pomf.se/spzkdj.webm

Sword Art Online II - I’m glad the whole Kirito pretending to be a girl wasn’t dragged out for more than one episode. I also understand Sinon feeling angry and betrayed. That lying beater definitely had it coming. But for her to be embarrassed because he saw her naked avatar is really a stretch. I suppose it could be modeled after her real body so maybe it’s still embarrassing? Whatever. It’s really just another excuse for some SAO fanservice. Jedi Master Kirito uses his force sense and is able to again “predict the predictions” and dodge bullets. Oh hi, Darth Gun. I did like the reveal that he’s a former player killer from SAO, though. Overall, it was an okay if somewhat cring-worthy episode. Rating: The real deal?

InuYasha: The Final Act - This episode actually made me angry. Even though she’s been dead-dead for 11 episodes, they continue to make Kikiyo the most important character and, what’s worse, she apparently had the power to save Kohaku’s life all along! And when she eventually does, it was in exchange for saving the world?!? Ugh. The exposition was obnoxiously heavy in this episode, even more than usual. Every character has to explain in detail everything that is going on because Takahashi created too many stupid, incomprehensible rules for how everything works. The voice actor on Kohaku is just bad. Like, really bad. How about that death scene? In the span of two minutes Kohaku goes from saying, “From now on, I’ll live!”, to immediately being killed and and is then immediately saved by some bullshit! Stick to comedy, Takahashi. You’re better at it. The only things I liked in this episode was seeing the jewel actually restored and the idea that Rin being controlled by Magatsuhi. Rating: “No, not Kagom…zzzz”

Naruto: Shippuden - I don’t have much to say this week because this episode was just so boring. I simply don’t care about Sora or his problems. They are trying to make this into some epic story but it’s just not and it’s made worse by the fact that I know none of this will ever matter in the end. I’m finding it harder and harder to continuing watching each week. I’m begging for Sora’s story to end so the actual, hopefully interesting, plot can continue. Rating: Absolutely ZERO Leaf Village Security

One Piece - What an entertaining fight! Sanji may have some strangely named attacks but the dude is suave and powerful as hell! I loved the little comedic moments. That crayon drawn, false flashback was simply hilarious. I’m glad Sanji didn’t fall for it. Also, Sanji almost pulled a Joestar by running away. That was really funny! His molten hot kick is so cool looking, I don’t even care how ridiculous it is. This was probably my favorite One Piece fight so far in the new Toonami run. I’m looking forward to learning what Sniper King’s plan is to save Robin. Rating: Smooth as Jazz

I don't get why it burns so bad that it beats Iron Body, however. Friction Flames hotter than hard core martial arts body training! Why not just light him of fire with a match, if it were that easy...

Iron Body doesn't protect against extreme temperatures. Doesn't matter how stiff you can make your body, it can still feel heat.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So many gifs to make. DBZ in particular had a crapload of great reaction gifs and evil smiles. I'm glad I don't have a good way to do SAO2.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Everything else has seemed vaguely plausible that it was just a move they hadn't used yet or figured out at some point in the time between islands. Second Gear kind of has this issue as well, but that felt like less of an instant-win move than it did with Sanji (and you can also argue Luffy didn't actually have time to use it then and never needed to before that). And there's also the part where we've never seen the large gap in abilities be bridged almost immediately the way we have with fighting CP9, but hey. Sure, it's still preferable to training or whatever, but are we really going to act like the fact that it's never referenced is some quality writing here?

We really going to call remembering something that happened over a year ago that never gets referenced an obvious conclusion? One Piece has some nice subtleties throughout, but I'd hardly call this one of them, especially when it's pretty obvious about other stuff; it just feels like they forgot to bring it up at all.
Actually, the only power up I have a problem with in Enies Lobby is Nami's Perfect Clima Tact. Nami brandishes the Clima Tact at one point in Water 7, and it's the old version of it. The issue is that she later reveals on Rocketman that Usopp upgraded her Clima Tact before he left the crew, which means her weapon should have already been the Perfect Clima Tact back in Water 7.

Everybody else's powerups, even though they all basically "come out of nowhere," do at least have a viable explanation somewhere in the series, either past, present, or future. Nami's is just a fuck up by Oda, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom