• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signed up with the Funimation app to see how it works. One week left if I decide to subscribe. Got caught up and I'm at episode 303, which appears to be about 4 ahead of Toonami.

The full opening is good. The edit on Toonami does a great job of cutting 3 minutes down to its bare essentials. Also confirmed that the lyrics are in fact "crazy crazy rainbow star."

Raxus

To continue our discussion last night. What will replace Final Act when it ends in a couple months? KLK will end over the summer as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The bigger question, I think, is what time Sailor Moon Crystal, when it eventually happens, would air. It seems it would make more sense putting it around 1 a.m. or so, close to DBZ, as many could argue it was as big as that series and one of the most famous Toonami shows, therefore putting it closer to the opening times would fare better compared to later in the night.

Grexeno

The bigger question, I think, is what time Sailor Moon Crystal, when it eventually happens, would air. It seems it would make more sense putting it around 1 a.m. or so, close to DBZ, as many could argue it was as big as that series and one of the most famous Toonami shows, therefore putting it closer to the opening times would fare better compared to later in the night.
12:30 am. No way you put Sailor Moon behind anything but Dragonball Z initially.

12:30 am. No way you put Sailor Moon behind anything but Dragonball Z initially.

This is why I've said perhaps magi will replace InuYasha and Sailor Moon Crystal will replace KLK. Would keep the same number of viz and aniplex shows in the end but wouldn't lead to a line up shuffle

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
To continue our discussion last night. What will replace Final Act when it ends in a couple months? KLK will end over the summer as well.
Plausible:
  • Sailor Moon Crystal
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
  • Future Diary
  • Magi
  • Birdy?
  • Cowboy Bebop HD

Sure, why not.

Obviously it could be any show to replace InuYasha, but I feel SM:C is going into KLK's spot as you mentioned and with how well KLK has done no reason to slide it down.

Plausible:
  • Sailor Moon Crystal
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
  • Future Diary
  • Magi
  • Birdy?
  • Cowboy Bebop HD

If/When JoJo dub becomes a thing it'll be on Toonami asap. Until then its just a pipe dream :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering Jojo is getting closer to being finished (I think 2 or 3 more major fights, including Dio), maybe we'll finally eventually hear some news on its dub (maybe Viz wanted to see all the names they would've had to deal with/get approval again on new names from the mangaka).

Future Dairy would make for a fun rewatch, being both the dubbed version and with new viewers.

Cowboy Bebop HD seems like it could happen once AoT finish its rerun. Though that would disappoint me, as I would much rather prefer the second season of Space Dandy to be shown again.

Grexeno

Cowboy Bebop HD seems like it could happen once AoT finish its rerun. Though that would disappoint me, as I would much rather prefer the second season of Space Dandy to be shown again.
Dandy S2 can be shown at any time and wasn't cut off in the middle of it's first run.

MikeMyers

I've been keeping up with it. We are at the part where
Vegeta kills Super Buu and Kid Buu appears

The US version is apparently going to be longer though.

Zero chance it's Fairy Tail.

VDqwbVD.gif

Pff, seriously though.....

Psycho Pass.

Moaradin

The international version has more episodes than the Japanese version for some reason. And I think the international version is the way it was meant to be?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real reason Buu Kai is happening is to sell Blu-Rays in the US and Europe, and since you need a sub track to make the package, well, why not air it in Japan?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Forget Toonami, I want to talk about Ghost in the Shell.

Toonami didn't air the last nine episodes when they were rerunning 2nd GIG, and I decided to marathon through these yesterday. As I stated then, the most concise way I can describe this ending is "messy".

First of all, it combines two narrative 'tropes' that I really don't care much for at all. First would be "nukes" in a nutshell. Yeah, in a pseudo-future show like GitS, nuclear threats aren't unreasonable at all, but I still find it to be a lazy, cheap, boring, most simple way possible way to sets the stakes high. More a personal taste thing than anything, it's simply not an interesting primary impetus for the main characters. (I also don't like that the whole overarching Robin thing in One Piece seemingly boils down to "nukes" either.) Second is when an antagonist character's endgame involves a type of "new human evolution". Perhaps more a JRPG thing than an anime thing, this trope is so overdone, vapid, and vague. In this case, it was a more minor point than main goal - still rolled my eyes hard when Kuze started spouting this nonsense.

More problematic though, is how overstuffed the climax feels. You have several different storylines tying themselves up in an exceptionally cluttered fashion. You have Kuze launching his 'revolution' and how Gouda fits into that, the friction between Section 4 and Section 9, Kuze and Motoko's relationship in a past life, the Prime Minister's struggles in heading her cabinet, the Tachikoma's forming a sort of consciousness and sacrifice, even a sudden random inclusion of a new prototype bio cyborg that seems superfluous to everything else.

I might sound like I'm whining a lot - there were still a number of scenes, stand-alone (hah), that were enjoyable in a vacuum. Some of the chase after Kuze scenes & the final confrontation with Gouda for example. Despite all the messiness, it manages to be somewhat enjoyable. But overall, things come to a head in a very manner that's not very well constructed.

It's the inverse of Stand Alone Complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom