• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Thinking about this some more:

Starts in July

No PV or even character designs for the returning cast or any new characters

We have the chief director (with a small resume) and some producers but no other staff

This is not filling me with a ton of confidence right now

No one would care because it would be DRAGONBALL

THIS.

In a fair and just World, Toei would realize that since DBZ is the most popular anime worldwide, that they should spare no expense and get the best animators, musicians, etc. from around Japan the World to work on this show, pay them well and give them the time to make a quality product that will stand the test of time.

In the real world, Toei realizes DBZ is the most popular anime in the World and will cheap out by getting interns who are under-experienced and paid only in ramen packets to make the show. Also they will only have two weeks to make each episode.

Everyone here should read this and the other tweets in response to it before we discuss DBS coming to Toonami

https://twitter.com/clarknova1/status/593040078865301507

VOMIT if somebody like Disney get it :(

Is it even possible for them NOT to get it?

I assume it possible since Toei calls all the shots but their relationship over Dragon Ball seems to have been good for a while. If Funimation DOESN'T get it, all their upper management should quit because clearly they are incompetent and don't deserve to run ANY business.

Gorillaz

Psycho-Pass confirmed for half past never

It's kind of a big series so the fact he hasn't brought it up that much I'm assuming means that netflix has a lock on it

This is interesting. They have KLK (subbed) on there. I wonder what shows extend to their full ownership

Seda

Z8naTej.png

New high

It's kind of a big series so the fact he hasn't brought it up that much I'm assuming means that netflix has a lock on it

This is interesting. They have KLK (subbed) on there. I wonder what shows extend to their full ownership

I'd imagine since we got some Netflix shows in the past that it's only recent acquisitions. It probably doesn't extend to sub-only considering Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan, and they probably don't feel it's worth it for older shows like Gurren Lagann, so I'd assume they have to pay extra for exclusive rights.

Maybe Magi and Ghost in the Shell Arise in addition to Psycho-Pass. I wouldn't imagine The Devil Is a Part-Timer is one, but it might be as well.

Seda

Still a Bleach hanging out in the top 5 total viewer ratings

1. Dragon Ball Z Kai - Apr 25 2015 - 1,636,000
2. Dragon Ball Z Kai - Mar 7 2015 - 1,628,000
3. Dragon Ball Z Kai - Feb 28 2015 - 1,564,000
4. Bleach - Aug 3 2013 - 1,559,000
5. Dragon Ball Z Kai - Feb 21 2015 - 1,555,000

That's the episode Aizen is defeated in btw.

Grexeno

Seems like kind of a random episode to be the highest rated single show. Ratings for big events down the line out to blow this out of the water.

Toonami is doing really well as a whole and if AS doesn't go all out to get DB Super they're crazy.

Guys

just imagine the ratings for a block led off by Dragon Ball Super, Dragonball Z Kai, and Sailor Moon Crystal.

I mean those 3 shows would do really well, but after that the drop off could be crazy

Can't wait to see ratings for finale of this arc

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Holy fucking shit, penta-mil in the house. One Piece beating Titan makes me smile, everything did great last week. I think the only way we'll ever see anything more than a penta-mil is if the whole block is moved up by half an hour.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Pentamillion! Fuck yeah!
And One Piece actually did well! Screw you Attack on Titan repeats!

They said it wouldn't happen but there it is.

I'm excited for this, but this is also fucking Toei we're talking about. Their recent revivals (Sailor Moon Crystal, Saint Seiya: Soul of God) still leave a LOT to be desired.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The problem is that even if they don't screw up, Netflix, Disney, and Nick can all just straight outbid them potentially.

While this is true, Disney and Nick aren't exactly the best places to send it. The former would censor the hell out of it like they did with Shippuden and the latter would stick it on a cable channel not everyone gets instead of on the main channel and limit the audience as a result. Then there's Netflix, which likes to be able to throw up entire seasons at once because their audience wants to binge watch, not go week by week.

Grexeno

While this is true, Disney and Nick aren't exactly the best places to send it. The former would censor the hell out of it like they did with Shippuden and the latter would stick it on a cable channel not everyone gets instead of on the main channel and limit the audience as a result. Then there's Netflix, which likes to be able to throw up entire seasons at once because their audience wants to binge watch, not go week by week.
All of these are good reasons why the viewer might want it to come to Toonami, but the final determination will probably come down to money and money alone.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At this point, Adult Swim is the only place that shows anime on TV.
Disney does have Doraemon, but that's for a much younger crowd. Plus I think that's all they have.
Nickelodeon only has Yu-Gi-Oh reruns (not sure if they'll be airing Arc-V) and Digimon, again both for much younger crowds (though I'm hoping Saban does not get Adventure Tri, their Xros Wars dub was terrible).

That leaves Netflix and other streaming sites. We lost Knights of Sidonia to them...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All of these are good reasons why the viewer might want it to come to Toonami, but the final determination will probably come down to money and money alone.

You also have to consider DVD sales and potential audience. We've seen Disney completely fuck over Viz before when it comes to anime, Shippuden, so no one's going to trust them with anything remotely violent as a result. If they go with Netflix they'll miss the hype train a simul-dub would result in and Nick would just relegate it to a channel no one gets and deflate the hype. Whoever gets it is going to want to push hype for the show through the roof so they can sell more DVDs. If they go with anyone but Toonami they'll just be inviting people to get the show through less than legal means and discourage the audience and future DVD sales.

Anyway, Disney would be idiots to spend the money since they're not chasing that audience in the first place. They shoot for a much younger one.

daveo42

Banned
Damn...that Pentamillion with DBZ killing it and even One Piece doing a decent job at maintaining this week.

Good news all around.

Grexeno

You also have to consider DVD sales and potential audience. We've seen Disney completely fuck over Viz before when it comes to anime, Shippuden, so no one's going to trust them with anything remotely violent as a result. If they go with Netflix they'll miss the hype train a simul-dub would result in and Nick would just relegate it to a channel no one gets and deflate the hype. Whoever gets it is going to want to push hype for the show through the roof so they can sell more DVDs. If they go with anyone but Toonami they'll just be inviting people to get the show through less than legal means and discourage the audience and future DVD sales.

Anyway, Disney would be idiots to spend the money since they're not chasing that audience in the first place. They shoot for a much younger one.
I wouldn't discount the possibility that Netflix can give them enough money to pay for any potential DVD losses.

I also wouldn't discount Funi simply choosing short-term profit over long-term sustainability.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wouldn't discount the possibility that Netflix can give them enough money to pay for any potential DVD losses.

I also wouldn't discount Funi simply choosing short-term profit over long-term sustainability.

After the setback Shippuden saw, Naruto was gigantic (even with the filler hell) and Shippuden going to Disney killed all of the hype Viz had built up, there's no way they make that move.

EDIT: If anything we should expect the Space Dandy treatment.

Crocodile

DBS is probably the only way we get back the 11:30 slot in the near future. It disappoints me that Toei didn't come to Adult Swim to work something out beforehand like Bones/Watanabe did for Space Dandy. Money talks but there is no better place on American TV for new Dragon Ball than Cartoon Network. The increased exposure relative to Netflix, Nick or Disney should, I would think, pay back what lower bid Adult Swim is to likely to offer.

Dude, it literally just got announced. You'll probably see all the other info soon enough.

It just got announced but its also scheduled to air in three months. Given how animation projects (Japan or otherwise) are typically handled and how long in general it take to animate anything, its extremely unusually to have an announcement so close to the due date but so little information to present. Even as weirdly the Digimon Tri rollout has been handled, we at least had character designs and a more extensive staff list the months out. This is not to say things will for sure turn out bad (everything could be swell) but this raises some red flags IMO.

If Adult Swim does get it, they also won't run Super until Kai ends, lest they pull a Shippuden and Naruto Uncut tactic.

Huh? Toonami would do a 11:30-12:30 power hour of DBS/DBZ in an instant LOL.

After the setback Shippuden saw, Naruto was gigantic (even with the filler hell) and Shippuden going to Disney killed all of the hype Viz had built up, there's no way they make that move.

EDIT: If anything we should expect the Space Dandy treatment.

Viz/Pierrot =/= Toei but yeah you'd hope other Japanese studios caught wind of this. I'm also hoping Toei learned its lesson with One Piece (whatever 4kids bid was for One Piece, it wasn't worth it)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Viz/Pierrot =/= Toei but yeah you'd hope other Japanese studios caught wind of this. I'm also hoping Toei learned its lesson with One Piece (whatever 4kids bid was for One Piece, it wasn't worth it)

Well the story with One Piece is that Jump or whoever was too eager to get One Piece to the states, they saw it as the next Dragonball, and lumped it in with YuGiOh when that got licensed. 4Kids didn't want it, they thought Funi should get it, but the guys on the Japan side of the dealings wanted to strike quickly and as a result made a bad deal no one has repeated.

My point is that, at least in this industry, people are pretty good about learning from each other's mistakes when it comes to stuff like this. Everyone involved is going to want to build this up, to take advantage of the hype and use that to make a lot of money. This isn't going to just be about who will be willing to pay more but who can accomplish that goal and grow the show even bigger than DBZ was. The dealing are going to be more about building hype and future profits than anything else, they know they'll all make millions in the short term but they'll want to make sure this giant has long legs and can run for miles.

Grexeno

Had a thought: I'm not sure Super would even premiere on Toonami if Adult Swim got it. They would probably choose to air new episodes at 8 PM, with a Toonami airing following later at 11:30, or even a full week later.

Gorillaz

I think CN/Adult/Toon will get DBS. There is alot of history there and the network as always been a gateway for anime in general especially DBZ in the past with old toonami

I agree with Demarco, It's a no brainer that it could be on the block or channel but I can EASILY see other like Netflix try to flex some muscles to get it.

Really the best hope is that Toei/Funi only offer it to CN/AS/Toonami, if it becomes a bidding war there is no chance DBS comes to Toonami for like 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom