• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DBS is probably the only way we get back the 11:30 slot in the near future. It disappoints me that Toei didn't come to Adult Swim to work something out beforehand like Bones/Watanabe did for Space Dandy. Money talks but there is no better place on American TV for new Dragon Ball than Cartoon Network. The increased exposure relative to Netflix, Nick or Disney should, I would think, pay back what lower bid Adult Swim is to likely to offer.
Toei doesn't need the financial support from Adult Swim. Adult Swim is too small of a player to be a co-producer anyways. If Toei really needed help they would work with Fox like they did for the last two movies.

It's delayed a few seconds.

Bah humbug. I hope it doesn't make my posts seem out of place.

"Hey, Kirito is gonna attempt something super hard in a video game. I wonder if he'll succeed."

*Kirito has already flawlessly accomplished this and we've gotten 5 Sinon ass-shots in the meantime*

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

"Hey, Kirito is gonna attempt something super hard in a video game. I wonder if he'll succeed."

*Kirito has already flawlessly accomplished this and we've gotten 5 Sinon ass-shots in the meantime*

I hate Sword Art Online so much.

grandjedi6

Everyone here should read this and the other tweets in response to it before we discuss DBS coming to Toonami

https://twitter.com/clarknova1/status/593040078865301507
There are multiple streaming services out there who have already made it their business to outbid us and secure exclusive rights to shows...

Demarco's burying the lead here. This is by far the most interesting revelation. The fact the streaming sites have outbidded Toonami for shows might help explain where some of the most requested are.

For example, we can probably assume Toonami WON'T be getting Sailor Moon Crystal anytime soon thanks to their deal with Hulu. Probably the example Demarco was thinking of with that tweet.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I don't see Toonami getting Dragon Ball Super first, not unless Cartoon Network is prepared to pay quite a bit of coin.

Crocodile

Ok so I found those KLK rating stats. If I'm interpreting the chart correctly (it has info on a bunch of different shows) then KLK did indeed do exceptionally well with females 12-34.

There are multiple streaming services out there who have already made it their business to outbid us and secure exclusive rights to shows...

Demarco's burying the lead here. This is by far the most interesting revelation. The fact the streaming sites have outbidded Toonami for shows might help explain where some of the most requested are.

For example, we can probably assume Toonami WON'T be getting Sailor Moon Crystal anytime soon thanks to their deal with Hulu. Probably the example Demarco was thinking of with that tweet.

Deal with Hulu? Aren't episodes of Crystal also on Crunchyroll as well with no delay? Or do you mean the Sailor Moon Classic deal?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yea, I don't see Toonami getting Dragon Ball Super first, not unless Cartoon Network is prepared to pay quite a bit of coin.

I think if there was one show they'd break the bank for it's this one. They remember what DBZ did back in the day and they'll want to repeat that, improve on it even.

Ok so I found those KLK rating stats. If I'm interpreting the chart correctly (it has info on a bunch of different shows) then KLK did indeed do exceptionally well with females 12-34.

Goddamn it, SAO beat Inuyasha too. What the hell do girls want to watch SAO for? It's like the most offensive shit to women on the block!

Inuyasha did put up really respectable numbers among that demo though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Deal with Hulu? Aren't episodes of Crystal also on Crunchyroll as well with no delay? Or do you mean the Sailor Moon Classic deal?

Yea, Sailor Moon Crystal simulcasts on a number of websites simultaneously and it does so with subtitles. We are presuming that Toonami is going to get the dub premiere at some point.

Crocodile

Not sure of the source (well actually that twitter handle helps I'd assume) but it's cool fanart:

tumblr_nnda69vHcr1un5981o1_500.jpg

Yea, Sailor Moon Crystal simulcasts on a number of websites simultaneously and it does so with subtitles. We are presuming that Toonami is going to get the dub premiere at some point.

Right which is why I'm confused with regards to how Hulu would stop the eventual Sailor Moon Crystal dub from landing on Toonami unless there is some aspect about this "deal" I'm not aware of.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not sure of the source (well actually that twitter handle helps I'd assume) but it's cool fanart:

tumblr_nnda69vHcr1un5981o1_500.jpg

Right which is why I'm confused with regards to how Hulu would stop the eventual Sailor Moon Crystal dub from landing on Toonami unless there is some aspect about this "deal" I'm not aware of.

It shouldn't.

LOLDSFAN

Guys, on May 15th i'm gonna be out of town and i'm going to be staying at a place without cable. So i'm trying to get this AS stream thing set up so i can watch Toonami on my laptop. I already signed in and everything and I have it running. My question to those of you who use the stream is: Is it always a few seconds behind? I had the tv on and the stream running at the same time and the stream is like 10 seconds behind. Does my internet connection suck or is this how it always is?
Yeah the delay is there.

Also it's frozen on me a couple times during commercials. I never noticed until I saw the chat pick back up because it's a static image and the buffering icon is small.

I always use the stream and I've generally been ok.

Jarate

Banned

I'm still confused as to why people are confused about Kill LA Kill doing well with females.

Have y'all never hung out with female anime fans before?

grandjedi6

Well Hulu seems to have the exclusivity on Sailor Moon classic. And the original press release for Sailor Moon Crystal seemed to imply that it would also be exclusive to Hulu. I wasn't aware of it being on Crunchyroll. Perhaps the exclusivity was only for the classic series and they were just leaving out crunchroll? Or perhaps there is a Crystal deal but it'll only apply to the english dub?

Still, there must be some series that have been wrapped up in exclusivity deals with streaming sites. If not Sailor Moon, I wonder which ones they are....

Crocodile

I thought we "concluded" (inferred through deduction but have nothing to confirm our suspicions) that he was likely talking about Psycho-Pass and maybe Knights of Sidonia?

I'm still confused as to why people are confused about Kill LA Kill doing well with females.

Have y'all never hung out with female anime fans before?

I'm not surprised, after seeing/meeting some of them, but I get why many others would be what with KLK's rampant fanservice and how that is assumed to be a turn off to women (and to be fair KLK does get skeevy sometimes so the criticism is warranted)

Aqua Teen was cool, but man that was a level of weird my babby self couldn't handle.

Wait, there's a NEW DBZ show??? Have I been living under a rock?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Goddamn it, SAO beat Inuyasha too. What the hell do girls want to watch SAO for? It's like the most offensive shit to women on the block!
OMG, once again, where were these girls who were interested into guys that were l33t gods with video games in high school?!

Raxus

More evidence girls inexplicably love Kirito!

In all seriousness, I am just glad girls are watching anime. TV in general needs more women. It is a large reason I enjoyed Steven Universe and gave Kill la Kill a LOT of leeway despite some serious flaws.

Jintor

tumblr is one of the only places on the internet i default to thinking of pretty much every user on there as female

there's so many girls into anime on tumblr

also girls into steven universe, persona, phoenix wright, all kindsa stuff really

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Girl I met on Sunday over coffee was into Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, & Airbender/Korra.

I knew a girl a few years back who was big into Persona 4, & this was just after Golden came out (she played the PS2 version).

Raxus

Gravity Falls is why I hate Disney.
It's so damn good, but Disney fucks up the schedule something serious. Ugh

At least it draws in the ratings to continue. It seems any cartoon that isn't 15 minutes long nowadays is doomed to have the worst schedules in history. Scooby Doo Mystery Inc., Gravity Falls, TMNT 2012, Young Justice all suffered the same problems and only half survived.
I was in 7th grade when that show started

My 10 year High School reunion is next year
Doesn't seem to stop Venture Bros. Thank god.

daveo42

Banned

Inuyasha did put up really respectable numbers among that demo though.

It's all about Kirito. Guys want to be him. Ladies want to be with him.

I'm not even sure why SAO is a thing people enjoy watching.

Regiruler

At least it draws in the ratings to continue. It seems any cartoon that isn't 15 minutes long nowadays is doomed to have the worst schedules in history. Scooby Doo Mystery Inc., Gravity Falls, TMNT 2012, Young Justice all suffered the same problems and only half survived.

RIP Tron Uprising, you were too good for this world.
Also needs a Blu-Ray release strat. Series was goddamn gorgeous.

ckohler

What the hell do girls want to watch SAO for? It's like the most offensive shit to women on the block!

Kirito-sama may have actual female appeal beyond my hetero-male ability to comprehend. I mean, to his credit he does seem like a nice guy, wears a lot of black, and I suppose he could be considered cute. Maybe a male power-fantasy character like Kirito appeals to hetero-women in more of a "isn't he dreamy" way?

Also, there's Sinon who is by far the best character in the series, at least of what we've seen so far. She's strong, independent, and yet flawed. It's not hard to imagine young women relating to her. However, she could be as offending to women as Kirito is to me. I really can't say.

Exactly.

I'm not even sure why SAO is a thing people enjoy watching.

Its a slow motion train wreck. You watch it to see how hilariously bad it can get, but at the least it never stops being entertaining.

I thought the first half of S1 was ok, never saw the second half, but I hear it goes places.

Seda

refresher

Labor Day wknd '14 - Attack on Titan marathon
Memorial Day wknd '14 - Cooler's Revenge
Labor Day wknd '13- Evangelion 2.22

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heeeyyyyy, I'm fine with a KlK marathon! Plus it'll be the first time that I actually watch every show on Toonami instead of skipping one show!

Seda

So Final Act is gonna end a week after than we thought?

Well, every show gets pushed back one except DBZ.

Inuyasha: The Final Act: June 13th
Kill La Kill: July 25th
Sword Art Online II: September 12th
Attack On Titan: September 19th
Dragon Ball Z Kai: ~2018
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(note I had July 25th listed here for KLK before, but I thought there were 25 episodes, but I guess there's 24 + a special? So, actually July 25th now)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, every show gets pushed back one except DBZ.

Inuyasha: The Final Act: June 13th
Kill La Kill: July 25th
Sword Art Online II: September 12th
Attack On Titan: September 19th
Dragon Ball Z Kai: ~2018
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(note I had July 25th listed here for KLK before, but I thought there were 25 episodes, but I guess there's 24 + a special? So, actually July 25th now)
The "special" episode is basically just the Blu-ray only episode 25. It's the "true" finale/epilogue.

Curious to see whether it gets included in the broadcast package or not. I'd lean towards no, but Adult Swim DID get the DVD only episodes of Durarara!! from Aniplex in the past, so who knows.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, episode 25 was an OVA that takes place not long after the events of episode 24. I don't know how they'd fit it since it's about 27 minutes long, and the OP & ED aren't there as well, so they couldn't cut those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom