• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

Z8naTej.png

New high
People getting ready for the main event.

Zubz

Banned
I'm fine if Netflix picks up Dragon Ball Super (Still hoping it's Super Dragon Ball in America), but I'm personally hoping Toonami gets it first; without how much Kai's leading the block, it'd seem strange if they didn't at least bid.

Grexeno

This week's goodie is
a game review for Far Cry 4 - Valley of the Yetis

EDIT: Also Pre-Flight is showing the post-credits scene from Kill la Kill that was cut.

Raxus

This week's goodie is
a game review for Far Cry 4 - Valley of the Yetis

EDIT: Also Pre-Flight is showing the post-credits scene from Kill la Kill that was cut.

Boo. Wasting a slot on a boring ass expansion. We should buy Tom Bloodborne.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kill la Kill confirmed to be a great role model for women.

..........especially those in the 18-24 group & cosplay.

Seda

I feel that there isn't much to the characters in Kill La Kill, but they don't have guy characters 'protecting' them and they aren't placed as damsels either, so that's a plus. (In fact, the guys were basically useless in the recently aired episode).

Grexeno

Well, the bar is pretty low. I feel that there isn't much to the characters in Kill La Kill, but they don't have guy characters 'protecting' them and they aren't placed as damsels either, so that's a plus. (In fact, the guys were basically useless in the recently aired episode).
It's just, you'd think Inuyasha would get a bit closer.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Inuyasha is filled with damsels in distress. Also Inuyasha himself is Hulk Hogan tier of hot dogging and grandstanding and glory stealing, plus he has JEALOUS EYES.

I don't see Bleach "(insert Japanese subtitle only Meta can translate)" coming anytime soon because the series has become even more bloated and filled with stupidity than we thought possible. It's to the point where I don't have fun reading the manga and am just going through the motions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I feel that there isn't much to the characters in Kill La Kill, but they don't have guy characters 'protecting' them and they aren't placed as damsels either, so that's a plus. (In fact, the guys were basically useless in the recently aired episode).

That is a good point as shallow as they are all the females are in existence for their own sake.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Besides a few chapters after Aizen bite the dust I didn't read Bleach...until a month or so ago. It has jumped the shark in such a way to reverse the earth's spin and suddenly made Bleach must read material. Not jump out of your chair good but wacky enough to keep you on the edge of your seat.

I dunno as a whole I've found the newest Bleach arc in the manga far more readable then the stretch from Hueco Mundo to the end of the fake Karakura town battle. Hueco Mundo in the manga was when the Bleach's story problems began to become apparent around the infamous "my other arm" fight with still moments of awesome like Ichigo's fights with Grimmjoww and Uqlorria. I think for me the part that dragged the most was the 100 chapters starting with Kenpachi's infamous "kendo" fight to when Ichigo finally shows up at fake Karakura town where literally the story was copy paste fights. No one fight would be bad in a vacuum, or if it was all fights like Ichigo vs Grimmjow where I like both characters involved in the battle. When 100 chapters are nothing but fights where either the cool hyped up villains fight the lamest/boring heroes, the cool heroes fight the terribly boring/weak villains, and the boring heroes fight the boring villains I just wanted to die.

While this most recent arc has a similar seemingly never ending stretch of copy paste battles, as a whole I enjoyed them more because they mostly focused on characters I liked and the villains as a whole have had more interesting abilities to make the match ups fun. It probably didn't hurt that I was reading the finale of Naruto weekly at the same time and for as copy/paste as Bleach can get, it was still infinitely more enjoyable week to week then Naruto's garbage finale.

Jarate

Banned
Any sources on that? I'm not really buying that it's beating Inuyasha, I dunno something just feels weird with that.
Youd be surprised at the amount of women who dont care about fanservice or like the designs of the clothes. Inuyasha also was pretty popular with young buys during the adult swim days

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Youd be surprised at the amount of women who dont care about fanservice or like the designs of the clothes.
Where the hell were these women when I was in high school?!

...........and where can I find these woman in college now?

Crocodile

Any sources on that? I'm not really buying that it's beating Inuyasha, I dunno something just feels weird with that.

Not that fan communities like tumblr, Deviantart, etc. are a particularly good measure of anything but amongst them I feel I see a lot of the positive talk and fan-works with respect to KLK coming from women. I feel that people like seeing themselves represented and even if the representation is far from ideal there is no denying that pretty much all the power players in KLK are women. There's also no denying for all the legit warts the show has, it has entrenched itself in the current Western anime fandom in a way few recent shows have. The show is flawed but is popular with both genders. If a true statistical study were done we might get a better view of what going on but anecdotally from what I've seen, a lot of women like it.

There's also no denying for all the legit warts the show has, it has entrenched itself in the current Western anime fandom in a way few recent shows have.

...huh? I'd consider Attack on Titan to be the last big anime to come from Japan and it started the same spring (2013?) as KLK, right? The show started with a lot of hype but I wouldn't say Kill La Kill has entrenched itself in current Western fandom like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Titan, Sailor Moon.

I'd like to see some numbers showing KLK is wildly popular with girls/women 12-20 whatever because I have doubts about that; this isn't Inuyasha we're talking about.

Crocodile

...huh? I'd consider Attack on Titan to be the last big anime to come from Japan and it started the same spring (2013?) as KLK, right? The show started with a lot of hype but I wouldn't say Kill La Kill has entrenched itself in current Western fandom like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Titan, Sailor Moon.

I'd like to see some numbers showing KLK is wildly popular with girls/women 12-20 whatever because I have doubts about that; this isn't Inuyasha we're talking about.

A) I said "few" not "none". Clearly Titan would also fall under that "few"

B) Neither DBZ, Naruto, Bleach nor Sailor Moon are new. The youngest of those is over 10 years old.

C) Just because KLK isn't as popular as any of those heavy hitters doesn't mean its not popular

D) I admit what I'm saying is mostly based on anecdote and personal observation. I too would like some stats run if possible. However I don't feel its controversial to say KLK is more popular or more talked about among English speaking anime fans than many other shows that came out recently but are better like Ping Pong, Space Dandy, etc.

The point I was making is that KLK isn't anywhere close to being as popular as Titan (a recent hit) nor has it reached the levels of classic franchises during their prime (in America) so lets no play semantics. Kill la Kill is popular among enthusiasts but I don't think it has mainstream appeal which it what separates it from the other shows I mentioned. If you consider niche appeal to be 'entrenched in current Western fandom' then I agree but we have different definitions of what qualifies i guess. Heck, I was at Gamestop today and found Attack on Titan figurines next to Game of Thrones, DBZ, Star Trek, and Star Wars.

Crocodile

The point I was making is that KLK isn't anywhere close to being as popular as Titan (a recent hit) nor has it reached the levels of classic franchises during their prime (in America) so lets no play semantics. Kill la Kill is popular among enthusiasts but I don't think it has mainstream appeal which it what separates it from the other shows I mentioned. If you consider niche appeal to be 'entrenched in current Western fandom' then I agree but we have different definitions of what qualifies i guess. Heck, I was at Gamestop today and found Attack on Titan figurines next to Game of Thrones, DBZ, Star Trek, and Star Wars.

Well I never said KLK was as popular as Titan or those mega titles. So while I agree with you there, that point is completely tangential to what I was saying so I'm confused as to why you bring it up. When I say "anime fandom" (note both words) I inherently mean a subset of those who consume TV media. Basically, those would would willingly call themselves "anime fans". As an example, anybody who regularly posts or lurks in this thread or AnimeGaf is part of the "anime fandom" regardless of which types of anime they like to consume.

In hindsight, I recognize that may not be obvious to anybody but me so I apologize. DBZ is something you would hear the jocks at your high school talk about. It's popularity falls far outside the realm of just those who would call themselves anime fans so it and shows like it I feel are automatically outside the realm of this conversation.

Now with that understood hopefully you understand my point better? Again, a real statistical study is needed to make any definite statements. However, just on what I've personally seen, KLK still gets a lot of discussion (a lot negative of course but a lot positive as well) within a large number of communities and a lot of the people talking about it are women. I will also say though KLK can't "touch" Titan in mainstream Western appeal, the way I keep seeing KLK references all over the place even outside anime bubbles (shit it was even referenced in My Little Pony) reinforces that the show is popular to me.

Just because something isn't as popular as some of the most popular shows in its medium ever doesn't make it not popular. Same way a random 20-30 year on the street would likely at least be familiar with DBZ or Sailor Moon but ask them what Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Madoka was and they would look at you like you had 3 heads. Ask ANYBODY who has been watching anime for even a short period of time about either though and if they haven't already seen it they will 100% have heard of it.

Guys, on May 15th i'm gonna be out of town and i'm going to be staying at a place without cable. So i'm trying to get this AS stream thing set up so i can watch Toonami on my laptop. I already signed in and everything and I have it running. My question to those of you who use the stream is: Is it always a few seconds behind? I had the tv on and the stream running at the same time and the stream is like 10 seconds behind. Does my internet connection suck or is this how it always is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom