• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr15| Watching Toonami protects your brain from sorcery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

You know, I don't see why people freak out over Oda's smoking habit. Miyazaki smokes and he's been making movies for years. Granted he's retired now but still.

I mean its all about playing the odds no? You could never touch a cigarette in you life and die of cancer in your 40s or chain smoke for years and live to be 100. There's no denying though that continuous exposure to carcinogens makes it more likely to end up in the former group than the later. All that being said, does One Piece really have more than a decade left in it? Fans should be more worried about errant cars than cigarette if the fear is that he might die before completing One Piece. If they are concerned with Oda's health in general (as a person they respect and like not just "that guy who makes the comic they read"), than yes being concerned about smoking at all is very reasonable.

Grexeno

I mean its all about playing the odds no? You could never touch a cigarette in you life and die of cancer in your 40s or chain smoke for years and live to be 100. There's no denying though that continuous exposure to carcinogens makes it more likely to end up in the former group than the later. All that being said, does One Piece really have more than a decade left in it? Fans should be more worried about errant cars than cigarette if the fear is that he might die before completing One Piece. If they are concerned with Oda's health in general (as a person they respect and like not just "that guy who makes the comic they read"), than yes being concerned about smoking at all is very reasonable.
I can't imagine One Piece ending within a decade.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Good point.
Honestly, no idea how much One Piece has left. People says there's a decade, but I get the feeling it will be much longer. Hell, I imagine the final arc will be longer than the current one, and that's already the longest arc in the series (so far)

I don't understand why people smoke cigs anyways. No offense to anyone in here who might, but it's just a disgusting habit to me. The smell gives me a headache and they taste like crap, not to mention the negative health effects from all the rat poison and other crap you inhale. I've tried smoking maybe 5 times in my entire life...every single time I was hammered but still had the awareness to realize it wasn't something I wanted to get into.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I start hacking whenever I'm even near smoke thanks to my asthma & allergies combination growing up. Like hell I'll actually have the smoke enter my body, especially since I already had several problems with my body growing up (the mentioned asthma & allergies, overweight until I went from 268 to 208 in 2012, etc.), not gonna add another issue like smoking or alcohol.

LOLDSFAN

*edit*

Dat AoT bump wow. I thought AoT would tank after week one.

I don't understand why people smoke cigs anyways. No offense to anyone in here who might, but it's just a disgusting habit to me. The smell gives me a headache and they taste like crap, not to mention the negative health effects from all the rat poison and other crap you inhale. I've tried smoking maybe 5 times in my entire life...every single time I was hammered but still had the awareness to realize it wasn't something I wanted to get into.

YZ7nJcs.gif

My campus is supposed to be tobacco free but people still smoke and it's always really bad when you enter/exit buildings because there's always people who do it right there. Not to mention the ground which is littered with buds.

Zubz

Banned

Grexeno

Yikes... I know Toonami's on during what is usually a dead-air slot, but I thought they got more views than that.
They do. Large sporting events like the Final Four have a depressing effect on ratings the entire rest of the night.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think it's time we got rid of the Nielsen system.
I heard that Community Season 6's numbers on Yahoo are reportedly higher than the NBC Nielsen numbers.

One Piece will do better when:

We get out of filler
Water 7 starts
CP9 is introduced
There's a new promo
The Enies Lobby fights start

What's next? If this continues into summer (doubtful but who knows) I could see the show getting dropped.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece will do better when:

We get out of filler
Water 7 starts
CP9 is introduced
There's a new promo
The Enies Lobby fights start

What's next? If this continues into summer (doubtful but who knows) I could see the show getting dropped.

It's numbers are fine, it's doing about the same numbers week to week as the show in the prior slot. Short of numbers starting to randomly drop by hundreds of thousands it's sticking around. If One Piece is in danger of getting dropped then Shippuden's not far behind and we all know neither of them are going anywhere.

It's numbers are fine, it's doing about the same numbers week to week as the show in the prior slot. Short of numbers starting to randomly drop by hundreds of thousands it's sticking around. If One Piece is in danger of getting dropped then Shippuden's not far behind and we all know neither of them are going anywhere.

I will have to pull out the numbers for hard data, but off the top of my head, no, One Piece is not doing well for where it is airing. Being sandwiched between Shippuden and Titan re-run does not help but Seda/somebody needs to post the demo numbers if they are available; those are more valuable to us then the nielsen viewer extrapolation. Naruto is way more popular in the USA than One Piece so there's no way it gets dropped regardless of ratings fluctuations in my opinion. I would rather see One Piece go on hiatus than get another block reduction or budget cut.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I will have to pull out the numbers for hard data, but off the top of my head, no, One Piece is not doing well for where it is airing. Being sandwiched between Shippuden and Titan re-run does not help but Seda/somebody needs to post the demo numbers if they are available; those are more valuable to us then the nielsen viewer extrapolation. Naruto is way more popular in the USA than One Piece so there's no way it gets dropped regardless of ratings fluctuations in my opinion. I would rather see One Piece go on hiatus then get another block reduction or budget cut.

The demo percentage is next to the general number, they're both 0.3 this week. Last week Shippuden did 0.4 and OP still did 0.3 (and tied Titan). The numbers aren't nearly as bad as you imagine, they're fairly static and about as good as can be expected for that time of night. Even when the numbers were more in flux during the filler arc, DeMarco said it was doing fine and at times better than they expected.

The demo percentage is next to the general number, they're both 0.3 this week. Last week Shippuden did 0.4 and OP still did 0.3 (and tied Titan). The numbers aren't nearly as bad as you imagine, they're fairly static and about as good as can be expected for that time of night. Even when the numbers were more in flux during the filler arc, DeMarco said it was doing fine and at times better than they expected.

No, the HH (household) number is what you see in parentheses, that is not the same as the demo percentage. When you see a 0.4 for example, that means that 0.4% of all US households were watching Shippuden at that particular point in time. Toonami and advertisers are most likely interested in 18-34 year old males so I want to know what that is, or 18-49. Also, DeMarco isn't going to just come out and say 'hey guys x show is doing shitty right now' when they have a relationship with these companies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No, the HH (household) number is what you see in parentheses, that is not the same as the demo percentage. When you see a 0.4 for example, that means that 0.4% of all households were watching Shippuden at that particular point in time. Toonami and advertisers are most likely interested in 18-34 year old males so I want to know what that is, or 18-49.

Click the link and look at the chart, the parenthetical number is 18-49 year olds. Don't try and say something without bothering to get your info right.

Really, I'm tired of the concern trolling. It's old already.

EDIT: Shit, they actually have One Piece above Shippuden on the list and don't try saying it's in alphabetical order because it isn't.

Watching the pre-flight Gill and Jason both seem to be huge OP fans and unless the show starts mega tanking it seems like they will fight for it on the block.

Click the link and look at the chart, the parenthetical number is 18-49 year olds. Don't try and say something without bothering to get your info right.

Really, I'm tired of the concern trolling. It's old already.

I didn't click the link so that is my mistake but 0.3 isn't good. I'm not trolling either; I've said numerous times that Enies Lobby is one of the best shonen arcs of all-time and that I enjoy One Piece. Maybe you should't catch feelings whenever somebody criticizes the show's performance and speculatates about it getting dropped. Ya know, like the 8:30 PM saturday slot did for poor performance.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I didn't click the link so that is my mistake but 0.3 isn't good. I'm not trolling either; I've said numerous times that Enies Lobby is one of the best shonen arcs of all-time and that I enjoy One Piece. Maybe you should't catch feelings whenever somebody criticizes the show's performance and speculatates about it getting dropped. Ya know, like the 8:30 PM saturday slot did for poor performance.

My problem is you're always saying that shit, every week dude. It's old. We get it. Enough already, plus it would probably help if you bothered to get your info right first. You know, click the link before commenting.

My problem is you're always saying that shit, every week dude. It's old. We get it. Enough already, plus it would probably help if you bothered to get your info right first. You know, click the link before commenting.

Please go back to last week or the week before and post a quote of me saying that One Piece is going to get dropped. I do not rag on the show every week, I'm just one of the few people that doesn't blindly worship it even though I am a fan. I was in the wrong on the HH numbers thing and apologize for that but don't act like I'm some troll.

Edit: Post in here from 2013 detailing how much I enjoyed Enies Lobby. Heck, I even did a review expressing my love for the arc. But nah, I'm just hating.

Edit 2: Wasn't trying to start a fight; I'm sorry if you feel like I unfairly criticize One Piece at times. Like I said, I was totally in the wrong about the HH numbers and apologize for that. But really, I do enjoy the show and will work on my tone.

I think the bigger issue holding back Roberta's Blood Trail is by their own admission Black Lagoon didn't do as well as they would have liked.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the bigger issue holding back Roberta's Blood Trail is by their own admission Black Lagoon didn't do as well as they would have liked.

I still don't get how it did poorly, I mean I get the twins arc not being popular but the rest of it was all the best parts of action movies, mixed in with John Woo movies and Tarantino movies. It just seems like a natural fit for American audiences.

BBboy20

I still don't get how it did poorly, I mean I get the twins arc not being popular but the rest of it was all the best parts of action movies, mixed in with John Woo movies and Tarantino movies. It just seems like a natural fit for American audiences.
At this point, I think video games sucked the interest of action out of every other medium.

I actually think that's the issue right there. It's just stuff you can already get from live action movies, so why bother watching an anime?

Its not really hard to imagine why its not as popular as other stuff like Sword Art and Attack on Titan. Those shows sound more appealing in concept to the Toonami audience that enjoys those kind of shows in comparison to Black Lagoon which usually appeals to older fans of action movies.

America does have a big audience for action movies, but they're certainly not watching Toonami for it. I do think Black Lagoon is amazing for the record. I enjoyed it more than what I've seen on AoT and Sword Art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom