• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

Don't worry though, my presence will bring down the quality to an acceptable level (I think I start singing Emerald Sword towards the end).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
vAtbJUj.gif
Is... is there some reason the animation is so bad?

You could just use the second half of that gif where Casca falls with the words "I can't" and it would accurately describe my feelings on catching up on Berserk 2016

Jarate

Banned
Is... is there some reason the animation is so bad?

Low Budget
Bad animation studio
CGI animation is difficult to do with reasonable amounts of money
CGI animation looks terrible if not done well
Berserk has an incredible artist behind it which is hard to emulate
CGI

This video makes the argument that fault lies mainly with the director. He's actually pretty experienced, but mostly with comedy anime, and never with CGI, and CGI historically has made experienced directors completely forget about the rules of animation.

BBboy20

They're making a game that's more in the direction of where their previous, insanely successful series went.

By lowering the mobility somewhat, removing the AI from most modes, and making Titans as score streak rewards, it's much more in the image of modern day Call of Duty.

They're also still hiring people out of Call of Duty studios, so I don't think that's a very surprising direction to head in once they've decided to throw the old design tenants out the window.

Honestly, just looking at Titanfall, and that old Infinity Ward wanted a monopoly on both modern day CoD and future CoD in their contract with Activision, this is presumably where they would have taken that series anyway.
.....I mean...surely Infinity Ward would have realized the mistakes of Modern Warfare 2 if things turned out differently, right.............right?

:(((((((((((((((((((

On less depressing potential realizations, I finished:
https://youtu.be/Q82FOFotCyg
Puts Full Metal Panic on some next level shit.

http://i.imgur.com/kRXppg4.jpg

I haven't posted in the Berserk thread because I've been starting to enjoy the new Berserk (my first introduction to the series) and I feel like if I read and comment in the thread I'll start to hate it. It's also why I haven't been commenting during One Punch Man which is my favorite show since I started watching Toonami again early last year, although opinions on that are much more favorable.

Seda

I haven't posted in the Berserk thread because I've been starting to enjoy the new Berserk (my first introduction to the series) and I feel like if I read and comment in the thread I'll start to hate it. It's also why I haven't been commenting during One Punch Man which is my favorite show since I started watching Toonami again early last year, although opinions on that are much more favorable.

Sometimes seeing someone be critical of something I like bums me out a bit, but I've gotten better at pinpointing my own praises and using differing opinions to round out my own.

More specifically, I realize that every show/game I don't care for is somebody else's favorite.

I think it's time I got myself a new avatar, given that school year starts in around week for me. Only thing is that I don't know what direction I should take it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think it's time I got myself a new avatar, given that school year starts in around week for me. Only thing is that I don't know what direction I should take it.
Perhaps look towards upcoming games or currently watching shows for inspiration. That was why I combined Persona 5 & TMS # FE into my Persona 4 avatar.

I've been thinking about getting a new avatar as well. I've been thinking about two One Piece ones but I'm too lazy to make them. One is from the next arc but not spoilery (it's a picture of Chopper) and the other is from
Dressrosa
and very spoilery that might get me banned.

I don't use Steam nowhere near enough to even justify using that as my avatar. Not that I would have used it, mind you.

Perhaps look towards upcoming games or currently watching shows for inspiration. That was why I combined Persona 5 & TMS # FE into my Persona 4 avatar.

See, that was the direction I wanted to go (except for maybe the upcoming games part since an umpcoming game you're excited for can turn into dissapointment). Right now I'm thinking of either Baccano or Legend of Heroes: Trials in the Sky as potential series' to look at but I don't want to risk getting spoiled while looking for art pieces that would look good on Gaf.

Grexeno

Episode #21 of the ToonamiGAF Podcast is here, new and improved thanks to the efforts of ckohler!

Video:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode021.mp4

Audio Only:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode021.m4a

MP3:
http://www.ckohler.net/toonamigafpodcast/Episode021.mp3

Time codes for Line_HTX!:
2:11 - Bleach Ends
8:17 - DBZ Kai
13:48 - One Punch Man
22:27 - Iron Blooded Orphans
29:54 - Hunter x Hunter
35:47 - Naruto Shippuden
44:08 - One Piece
50:01 - Parasyte
51:46 - Sign out

Speaking of the Tales series, I hope Tales of Berserk is decent.

I feel like the Tales series has been going downhill.

Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F are all real good, but Xillia was ok at best and i hear mixed things about Zesteria. Though i still plan to play some of it since i bought it during the namco sale.

i dont understand ranking the tales games a being good or not, they're like the same fucking game every time. I played like 4 of them and I can't even remember 2 of them, but I only beat Symphonia. They're like JRPG Madden, except that would probably be some Idea Factory or Compile Heart shit which is impossible to tell the difference The last 5 Tales games I've looked at and they just look like Symphonia.

i dont understand ranking the tales games a being good or not, they're like the same fucking game every time. I played like 4 of them and I can't even remember 2 of them, but I only beat Symphonia. They're like JRPG Madden, except that would probably be some Idea Factory or Compile Heart shit which is impossible to tell the difference The last 5 Tales games I've looked at and they just look like Symphonia.

That isn't even remotely true, if you tell me picking up Phantasia, Eternia/US Destiny 2, Symphonia, and Graces F look or play the same as any of the others you're just lying. The only reason you can argue the last couple of games being similar is that the last 4 included a sequel and a prequel so of course they're should be similiarities in the designs of those duologies.

Seda

That isn't even remotely true, if you tell me picking up Phantasia, Eternia/US Destiny 2, Symphonia, and Graces F look or play the same as any of the others you're just lying. The only reason you can argue the last couple of games being similar is that the last 4 included a sequel and a prequel so of course they're should be similiarities in the designs of those duologies.

I'm with Bass here. Xillia and Xillia 2 play mostly like button sequence memory games thanks to how artes link. Features (usually criticized) open fields.

Symphonia had 2d motion in a 3d field. Features easily the most puzzle-based dungeon in the series.

The 2D battle systems in Phantasia, Legendia, and others (I havent play Destiny/Eternia) are really their own beast.

Graces uses an arte tree which changes the effects of attacks based on how you 'climb' it. Features really boring linear paths for dungeons. (seems like Berseria is revisiting the arte tree idea and adding some customization to it)

Abyss and Vesperia are pretty similar. Main difference is art style and FoFs vs those critical hit things in Vespy.

Havent player Zesty yet. But yeah, Xillias and Zesty are mixed reception at best (Hearts R seems to be love it or hate it, I thought the 'burst' system or whatever was boring as heck. It's literally "MASH THE ATTACK BUTTON")

Hearts R is an okay remake of a far superior ds game that was getting a fan translation but they indefinitely put it hold due to the official release. Hearts ds and destiny r use the same kind of cc system graces f had but in 2d they're fantastic import games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's story wise where they all blend together.

Tales are the fast food of JRPG. They come out at a rapid clip and offer tons of cheap calories in play time. They put a lot of effort in to refresh things and cut a lot of corners at the same time.

Seda

ckohler should do the OPs

off-topic:

I've been playing a a little Baten Kaitos Origins. I watched my bro play through it years ago but I wanted to give it a fair shake too. And, wow, I adore most everything about this game. Only main criticism is that the adventure-game sidequesting is a little tedious.

Jarate

Banned
ckohler should do the OPs

off-topic:

I've been playing a a little Baten Kaitos Origins. I watched my bro play through it years ago but I wanted to give it a fair shake too. And, wow, I adore most everything about this game. Only main criticism is that the adventure-game sidequesting is a little tedious.

What's your guys Top 5 JRPG lists

Ive only really have been able to go ham on SNES JRPGS and GBA JRPGS and know jack shit about PS1 to Modern JRPGs. (Other then hating a majority of the newer ones, Don't like Tales of Series, way too anime, and most of the rest of the jrpgs are really low budget, way to anime, way too moe, or just missing some key "style" that my older jrpgs lacked [I hate japanese scifi aesthetic, I cannot for the life of me break my suspension of disbelief and claim a guy with a big sword is more powerful then a giant fucking space lazer, fuck you])

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Idol Emblem was an absolute joy this summer. Might do some NG+ stuff with it next year.

Also love Xenoblade Chronicles and need to get into X one of these days.

Bravely Second also ate up a ton of my free time this spring.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish there was a Baten Kaitos HD Collection or something. Heard good things about them, but kind of expensive to actually buy them now. The fact Namco or Nintendo actually remembered the game by putting a song in SSB Wii U (which sounds fantastic) makes me hopeful they might do something with the series again.

.....though right now, I'm just trying to plan out my gaming budget for the rest of the year, especially since Sept. & Oct. seem kind of busy (3 or 4 games each). Maybe I'll get lucky & get some b-day cash, especially since one game is out the 20th which is one day before my b-day, but not getting my hopes up....

Idol Emblem was an absolute joy this summer. Might do some NG+ stuff with it next year.

Also love Xenoblade Chronicles and need to get into X one of these days.

Bravely Second also ate up a ton of my free time this spring.
I put in over 70+ hours on TMS#FE. Very pleased with it, might go back to finish arena stuff & maaayyybeeee see the NG+ stuff, including another boss.

One of these days, I want to get Xenoblade 3D & actually start XCX since I bought the damn LE for it but still haven't played it.

I tried soooo hard to like Bravely Default, but it wasn't clicking for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Going to buy:

Dragon Quest VII
Phoenix Wright 6
SMT IV Apocalypse (depending on price really)
Pokémon Sun, probably Moon as well.
Dragon Quest VIII, if it happens this year.

Jarate

Banned
The little I played of Xenoblade Chronicles I disliked it heavily

I despise single player jrpgs with MMO battle systems and AI partners. Give me Chrono Trigger, not FF12 for "in the world battles"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Xenoblade Chronicles is one of my favorite games. It's what I wanted FF XII to be battle wise. The story really got to me, and I love the scale. What stopped me from playing X? THE DAMN FONT WAS TOO SMALL. I recently bought a new tv which upgraded my main one to be big enough for night time play and my living room one enough for I've got a few days off play. Now all I need to to is win the battle for attention it has with the horrible time sink that has ruined my schedule for three years running, Monster Hunter.

What's your guys Top 5 JRPG lists

Ive only really have been able to go ham on SNES JRPGS and GBA JRPGS and know jack shit about PS1 to Modern JRPGs. (Other then hating a majority of the newer ones, Don't like Tales of Series, way too anime, and most of the rest of the jrpgs are really low budget, way to anime, way too moe, or just missing some key "style" that my older jrpgs lacked [I hate japanese scifi aesthetic, I cannot for the life of me break my suspension of disbelief and claim a guy with a big sword is more powerful then a giant fucking space lazer, fuck you])

Cant think of a top 5 but a top 3 would be, in no particular order, Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona 4 Golden and Paper Mario: The thousand Year Door

Jarate

Banned
Bravely Default is probably the best classic jrpg released this gen, with some of the worst design decisions ever
The entire end of the game is the most ridiculous thing to ever exist. It was fun the first time. Not the 90th time in a row

I really liked FF14, and if we count the Souls games then them too. DQ11 looks amazing (that's the upcoming one for PS4 right?)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I am so behind on my backlog. I haven't even opened my copy of Bravely Second.

And September is going to murder me.
Cold Steel 2
Bioshock Collection
Dragon Quest VII
SMTIV: Apocalypse
Yo-kai Watch 2

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cant think of a top 5 but a top 3 would be, in no particular order, Xenoblade Chronicles, Persona 4 Golden and Paper Mario: The thousand Year Door

That's a beautiful list and Persona 4 Golden!

Jarate said:
Bravely Default is probably the best classic jrpg released this gen, with some of the worst design decisions ever The entire end of the game is the most ridiculous thing to ever exist. It was fun the first time. Not the 90th time in a row

I really liked FF14, and if we count the Souls games then them too. DQ11 looks amazing (that's the upcoming one for PS4 right?)

I am one of the very small minority who loves the last few chapters of that game. To be fair, I also loved it when it happened in Haruhi. Some of the best JRPG boss fights ever happen in the last two chapters and some of the character changes are hilarious.

Bravely Second fixes most of that (and even lampshades it once) it's slightly less clever overall but some of the skits are hilarious. It's a very talky game though, reminiscent of the story scenes from Fantasy Life.

Souls is literally a JRPG.

DQ XI is the 3DS/NX/PS4 game where they have seemingly made three different versions of it. 2D on 3DS. 3D on 3DS. 3D Unreal Engine 4 on PS4. ??? (probably PS4 UE4 again) for NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom