• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The worst part is all the people who defend the decision as one above reproach. Now let me be clear - I understand why Arksys did what they did. However I think people who are upset are 100% justified and its really annoying to see others just say "stop complaining about it!".
Honestly, I just finding annoying from both sides as someone who is fine with dub (as long as it's handled/sounds well) or sub, though I understand wanting to stay consistent after so many games since you've got used to said voices. It's just I feel as though the argument is more warranted for something like a RPG where part of the reason you're playing it is for the story. But I also get the fact Aksys fighters tend to have more story than the average fighter like SF, KoF, MvC, etc. & I also understand that people don't want to read a crapton of text in a VN-style presentation, especially since they might not be fast readers, where as I am so I don't tend to mind as much.

I think in recent years I've realized I'm a bit of an auditory learner. (That goes for PhD stuff too). Not that my reading comprehension suffers or anything, but I feel there's information in the words people speak and how they speak them. In English, I can parse that information in things like inflection, tone, and where emphasis is placed (certain syllables or words). If it's not an English, I can get a small idea based on more simple things like sheer dialogue volume, but when I just hear a string of syllables to words I don't actually know, I can't as easily get that information and thus, I stop paying much attention to it and moreso just read the words as though they are unspoken. This isn't some decision I'm making, this is just how my mind works.
I feel like this is a good argument as well. I'm someone who usually prefers to read/see things, but there are times where just hearing it somehow clicks better when trying to understand, so I can see why someone wants to hear. This is why certain shows that tend to get a bit wordy, I prefer dubbed so it's a little easier to absorb the information, and this is perfectly valid for BlazBlue, considering its story.

Seda

Here's a random small example that may or may not append to my previous post, I dunno. I'm just thinking aloud at this point.

Some recent game or show I experienced (I don't remember) had this exchange:

A: "What do you mean?"

B: "What do you think I mean?"

When you read this, where do you put the most emphasis in line B? On the word
__think_
right?

The delivery in this case in English was poor. Line B was spoken like
it was a more genuine question, when it made no sense to be one.

If it was Japanese with subs, you read the lines with (what you believe is) the contextually best inflection you'd expect, of course. However, I don't know what the actual JPN equivalent would be in this case - which emphasized Japanese word would indicate appropriate frustration or sarcasm. Personally, I'd prefer having the line delivered well with inflections I understand and agree with, but I suppose this also illustrates why subbed anime watchers might prefer subs, because they never have to "hear" the mistakes - and may not care about smaller nuances in the inflections of the spoken line.

I also feel like noting that some hardcore anime fans may be actively working to learn the language (or already know it), and that's definitely not what I'm getting at here.

edit: I should also mention that if both English and Japanese are foreign languages to you (aka many Europeans), then it makes 1000% sense why you'd probably prefer 'subs'.

So I'm about an hour into Mankind Divided, and it's pretty good. The intro feels a bit abrupt, but still fun.

Now I'm in Prague.

Why is everything either electrified, flooded with gas, or electrified and flooded with gas?

Grexeno

So I'm about an hour into Mankind Divided, and it's pretty good. The intro feels a bit abrupt, but still fun.

Now I'm in Prague.

Why is everything either electrified, flooded with gas, or electrified and flooded with gas?
An accurate representation of modern-day Prague.

I know nothing about Prague.

Regiruler

Iz8YTQC.jpg
I'm pretty sure Cory is real. I've seen his house.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So someone remind me, what was the last show to get the "on the next episode of...." commercial treatment? OPM seems to be getting them for every episode at this rate, save for maybe one or two episodes. I recall AoT might've had a few of them, but nowhere near as many as OPM.

Crocodile

So someone remind me, what was the last show to get the "on the next episode of...." commercial treatment? OPM seems to be getting them for every episode at this rate, save for maybe one or two episodes. I recall AoT might've had a few of them, but nowhere near as many as OPM.

I think Space Dandy, Attack on Titan and OPM are the only shows on Toonami to get those.

I feel confident future shows CN put money into will get those as well (Samurai Jack, FLCL 2)

Line_HTX

It was both Space Dandy and Attack on Titan that got all of them.

Safe to say that OPM has gotten them every time, I don't recall them missing one.

Soulflarz

Banned
back

So I finished Zero Time Dilemma finally

....what.

It's a shame theres a fanfic ending to such a good series...I wonder if the 3rd game'll ever get made?

Nice guy Arksys saving me money not dubbing the newest Blazblue game.

The only thing that bothers me is the defense of 'but it'll get delayed half a year'
You're doing something different if the delay is truly 6-8 months, considering by CS they were getting BB out a week later at worst.

Mizerman

The only thing that bothers me is the defense of 'but it'll get delayed half a year'
You're doing something different if the delay is truly 6-8 months, considering by CS they were getting BB out a week later at worst.

Reading Patrick Seitz's post on FB made it even worse.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Especially considering Toonami fans were all "yeah, bring us more darker/mature shows!"

It's honestly one of the very few series I wouldn't mind owning on blu-ray....assuming that LE goes down in price. Also wanna see the OVAs.

Also need to pick up the three volumes of the manga that I'm missing one of these days.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Black Lagoon. A show wasted upon the Toonami audience.

In all honesty, the fact that Black Lagoon didn't do well does make me salty.

Yup. That show was too good for this audience. They say they want dark and edgy with cool characters, but they don't.

There are quite a few things about Mankind Divided that are just weird to me, from a design standpoint. First and foremost, the objective marker and the lack of a middle ground between having it TOO on and completely off. Now, there was a moment where I was completely lost, because I had the objective marker turned off. (It starts off, and doesn't tell you that.) There was one little key area I had to get to that I just couldn't find. After struggling for a bit, I realized I could turn on the objective marker. After turning it on, I realized it doesn't just give you a pointer in the right direction. It guides you completely. As in, it tells you to go to one location, then guides you to the next, eventually leading you to your real objective.

As far as I can tell, there's no middle ground between those two. You either have no objective marker, or one that feels like it's holding your hand.

Also the crosshair is also off when you start, and I didn't realize it till I got into a firefight.

Seda

I think Jojo on Toonami will be great. I've seen a little of it and I'm kinda second-hand familiar with a bit more of it, and I feel like it will fit in well. It has a high level of "wackniess" to it without being full of anime hijinks of the eyeroll-worthy variety

I hope Toonami has "Next time on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" commercials and chooses the weirdest out of context scenes from every episode. In particular, I hope for
a commercial just showing Zeppelli punching a frog

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I hope Toonami has "Next time on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" commercials and chooses the weirdest out of context scenes from every episode. In particular, I hope for
a commercial just showing Zeppelli punching a frog
Considering how many people requested it & how popular it's becoming thanks to the new animes, hoping it has a decent chance of happening. Or at the very least, they'll make a new promo once Part 1 finishes & Part 2 begins.

Hell, I'm amazed that aside from the 2nd episode (I count the "premiering on Toonami" as episode 1), OPM has had a promo for every episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom