• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WVW69jmESKc-Ow-pHQ

...but I just couldn't bring myself to go THAT low, lol.
LATER

Even Saitama is disgusted by Mosquito ass. Smash it to Oblivion!

Moaradin

Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 85 - The Truce is Broken! The Defense Force Strikes Back at Cell!
12:00 - One-Punch Man - 8 - The Deep Sea King
12:30 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 13 - Funeral Rites
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 19 - Can't Win × But × Can't Lose
1:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 126 - Twilight
1:55 - High on Fire - The Black Plot
2:00 - One Piece - 360 - Save Me, Hero!! My Enemy Is the Immortal Princess
2:30 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 19 - In Cold Blood

Later.

Really looking forward to HxH next week

BBboy20

I really want to play Hyper Light Drifter
Hyper Light Drifter!
Gotta check this out
Oh wow, Hyper Light Drifter.

Been hearing of this, no idea if it's for me.
Huh, Hyper Light Drifter?

Saw it a while back, never got around to playing it.
V
I even kickstarted it haha.

You know, I don't know what Genos sounds like in Japanese but I'm never quite sold on the VO performance here - even if he is supposed to be a super serious socially inept cyborg.

Just about everything else is good though.
I wasn't expecting such a robotic voice but I get the feeling they wanted him that way due to the backstory speech, that was that scene where I started to understand why the voice director wanted to go that direction.

The anime does a great job of showing how Saitama isn't trying in the slightest despite totally out classing enemies who are giving it their all. Even while dodging the Beast King's slashes at super high speeds, its like he's just stepping slowly to the side and back again, maybe ducking sort of. Really well done.
Even his cape wasn't touched.

I think one of my main issues with OPM is starting the series with the fight with the titan thing. Pretty much everything after that has seemed like complete downgrades.
This is a gag/character/thematic study, not the hero's journey.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Surprise sketch dump. Nice!

Time for sleep. Next week should be pretty great counting just OPM and OP alone.

I was slow to start, but I'm glad it came out well! Really was gonna go for ONE's style... but looking at Murata's art at the same time for inspiration, it was just too hard! Bad-Style for Mosquito Girl woulda kinda sucked too, and Genosfro deserved better art too...

Lookin forward to next week, maybe I'll catch up with the manga too before then...

Even Saitama is disgusted by Mosquito ass. Smash it to Oblivion!

"Smash that ass into oblivion!" actually sounds pretty Mokkori to me! *has really watched too much Citi Hantaa lately...*

A 7-episode marathon and we get Mosquito ass.

Couldn't think of a better sketch.

These are the important things we all remember! My only regret is the exclusion of so many other heroes that showed up. Eh, Tornado and Mumen will get justice some day...

I think one of my main issues with OPM is starting the series with the fight with the titan thing. Pretty much everything after that has seemed like complete downgrades.

I mean, the titan fight was cool, but... err.. *shrug* why? The enemy was big and dumb. I like the admittance that huge opponents aren't always that interesting, and that small, more thoughtful encounters are better to carry a series forward.

If anything, the "House of Evolution" let me down, just because I figured it'd be the producer of all the monsters, and it'd take loads of time to break down said monster farm. Instead, Genos blew the place to hell, the evils were smashed, and the professor was disillusioned with his dreams of grandeur. I didn't expect that at ALL when I read it. I thought such a plot could carry a few volumes...

OPM's plot isn't worth considering since its a gag series, the biggest mistake the series does is wasting time hyping up any threat since nothing has even teased being a challenge to Saitama.

Regiruler

OPM's plot isn't worth considering since its a gag series, the biggest mistake the series does is wasting time hyping up any threat since nothing has even teased being a challenge to Saitama.
That's exactly why they invest in sode characters, so there's tension in their outcome. Episode 9 is a good example.

I've always seen part of One Punch Man's joke being that it's legitimately pretty good at interesting buildup despite it not mattering much in the end on most occasions (the fights aren't pointless but the buildup often isn't strictly necessary for where they take the plot).

Raxus

You and I process stakes a bit differently. I still care about the secondary characters of OPM and while the stakes can never get to high with the series the plot developments and how it gets characters to interact (like a great scene coming up) is what I live for. If it was all Saitama all the time it'd get pretty boring pretty fast. Hence why he gets Naruto'd out of main conflicts for x periods of time.

You and I process stakes a bit differently. I still care about the secondary characters of OPM and while the stakes can never get to high with the series the plot developments and how it gets characters to interact (like a great scene coming up) is what I live for. If it was all Saitama all the time it'd get pretty boring pretty fast. Hence why he gets Naruto'd out of main conflicts for x periods of time.

But outside of Genos and that old guy why do you care about license less rider? Or the tank top bros? Or 90% of the jobbers in the hero association? I still don't get why the magic girl is popular outside of her design, like she's never around and doesn't do anything. One Punch Man is boring as fuck since there isn't even an attempt at doing something clever since from the concept alone the scenes play out exactly as you expect them to. Even a somewhat clever moment (genos explaining his origin and being yelled at for talking too much) has the punch line (10 words or less) used over and over where even the moments I enjoy becoming tiring.

I do agree that all saitama all the time would be boring and I'm not suggesting that. Saitama after 5 chapters/2-3 episodes where we get the joke of his character becomes boring and his role in the plot extremely predictable.

Jarate

Banned
Just a friendly reminder that Ping Pong the Animation is the greatest animation ever produced and all who dislike it shall be taken to earths core after the molemen come and take over

Out of curiosity, has anyone in here played and beaten Shenmue?

The amount of people who say yes to both of those seem to be rarer than the average leprechaun. A lot of people played Shenmue, I don't think many people beat it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The amount of people who say yes to both of those seem to be rarer than the average leprechaun. A lot of people played Shenmue, I don't think many people beat it.

Heck yes I beat Shenmue 1 and 2. The promise of converting a save file from one game to the other helped make the possibility more interesting. I probably tried to beat Space Harrier in Shenmue too... and there's something very fun about playing... ummm... the First Virtua Fighter RPG? Heh. (I never bothered with Virtua Quest).

Now what I didn't beat is Yakuza 1. Stupid tryhard over-sweary script was embarrassingly moronic. Campy 80s Ryo is much more up my alley, and is a strong reason why I'll generally enjoy the idea of joining him on his adventures much more than Kazuma's. Even if I technically still really like Kazuma overall.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I bought Shenmue a few years ago (even has that online disc thing) & while I don't think I got far (maaayyybbeee I got to the second disc? I think I got to the harbor town), I still could understand how ambitious it was for a Dreamcast-era game. I think it was one of those games I appreciate more than I "like" it.

Now that I have a better working Dreamcast, I should go back to it eventually, though since I've forgotten what to do, might just start over. Hell, I still have Shenmue 2 that I need to play.

I recall some people saying the Yakuza games are basically "better versions of Shenmue", which I should play because I have 4 & 5 free via PS+.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

It's not like Shenmue was all that long or hard to beat. I played through about a quarter of it in Japanese. I waited until the US release to play through it entirely and beat it, which I did in just a few days because Final Fantasy IX was releasing 5 days later and I had to be ready to move on to that.

Now Shenmue 2 I never did finish. Got distracted at some point and never did get back to it, and now nigh on 15 years has passed. Also, my copy of that is the Euro Dreamcast version.

Crocodile

I'll never understand the mentality of "I can't enjoy this fight because there are no stakes" as a blanket, general rule. Most fights in most shows don't really have stakes. The good guys rarely lose battles they can't afford to lose. The villains are rarely triumphant and when they are its only a prelude to where the good guys eventually win and the previous fights end up not really mattering. A fight where the protagonist has to struggle has a lot of good writing opportunities (forces the protagonist to be resourceful or clever to succeed) and that in turn can make for an excellent fight. I don't think its unfair to say some of the best fights in anime/manga/comics fall in this category. However, that's not a requirement for a good fight - especially for a show that goes out of its way in many respects to subvert or lampoon shonen cliches. An encounter can still be tense even if the outcome is a forgiven conclusion. A fight can still be funny, the animation/art and choreography can still be insanely on point, etc. even if the conclusion is forgone. No amount of "lack of stakes" makes the last battle in this season of OPM not one of the best anime fights I've seen in years.

Saitama is funny and interesting. Most of the side characters that matter are funny and/or interesting. Seeing much of this cast interact is funny and/or interesting. Depending on how far ONE/Murata want to delve into the mysteries of the world there could be a lot to offer. The fights involving the side characters do have these "stakes" and many of them are even good - especially ones that happen at points the anime doesn't cover yet. Like, I feel OPM covers most of the bases here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't enjoy the fights in Dragon Ball Z because it's just the job of the jobbers to job until Goku arrives to do his job.

.......well that & the animation, the lack of uniqueness in attacks, no nostalgia for the series, the fact fights just drag, the dragon balls make it so death means nothing, half the characters stand around to do nothing or are completely useless, the plotholes......

Edit: & waiting for the 28 transformations to happen, the repetitive & lackluster music......

Jarate

Banned
I can't enjoy the fights in Dragon Ball Z because it's just the job of the jobbers to job until Goku arrives to do his job.

.......well that & the animation, the lack of uniqueness in attacks, no nostalgia for the series, the fact fights just drag, the dragon balls make it so death means nothing, half the characters stand around to do nothing or are completely useless, the plotholes......

Edit: & waiting for the 28 transformations to happen, the repetitive & lackluster music......

Kai hurts the series in a lot of ways. They miss out on some great animation sequences that is filler fighting. Also, no Falcouner music sucks ass!

DBZ has not aged that well, especially the Cell Saga and the Buy Saga

I'll never understand the mentality of "I can't enjoy this fight because there are no stakes" as a blanket, general rule. Most fights in most shows don't really have stakes. The good guys rarely lose battles they can't afford to lose. The villains are rarely triumphant and when they are its only a prelude to where the good guys eventually win and the previous fights end up not really mattering. A fight where the protagonist has to struggle has a lot of good writing opportunities (forces the protagonist to be resourceful or clever to succeed) and that in turn can make for an excellent fight. I don't think its unfair to say some of the best fights in anime/manga/comics fall in this category. However, that's not a requirement for a good fight - especially for a show that goes out of its way in many respects to subvert or lampoon shonen cliches. An encounter can still be tense even if the outcome is a forgiven conclusion. A fight can still be funny, the animation/art and choreography can still be insanely on point, etc. even if the conclusion is forgone. No amount of "lack of stakes" makes the last battle in this season of OPM not one of the best anime fights I've seen in years.

Saitama is funny and interesting. Most of the side characters that matter are funny and/or interesting. Seeing much of this cast interact is funny and/or interesting. Depending on how far ONE/Murata want to delve into the mysteries of the world there could be a lot to offer. The fights involving the side characters do have these "stakes" and many of them are even good - especially ones that happen at points the anime doesn't cover yet. Like, I feel OPM covers most of the bases here.

I mean why both reading or watching anything if you know 95% of the time the protagonist is going to win? It's not the end result but the how that keeps these things interesting. Watching as the odds are further and further stacked against our heroes and how they'll inevitably figure out a way to overcome the adversary the face is the enjoyable part.

In One Punch Man I not only know that Saitama is going to win, but I know how he's going to win as well (one punch lol) and that he won't get any credit for it due to any arbitrary number of reasons the series comes up with. The characters IMO are not funny or interesting, at best they've got a good design like Genos or Tatsumaki, at worst I actively find them annoying like Speed of Sound Sonic (lol dick punch jokes) or King.

One Punch Man loses me because it's attempts to subvert expectations are too obvious since it's few clever moments get repeated over and over again to the point it becomes predictable and uninteresting. Wouldn't it be funny if our hero was so strong he's actively bored? Sure but that joke gets old really quick. Isn't is really entertaining how (spoilers from the manga and next weeks episode)
the guy who got credit for all of Saitama's accomplishments was actually a loser? Sure if the series hadn't already pulled this with licenceless rider earlier
. Wouldn't it be funny if Saitama saved the day in a single punch but caused a crap load of destruction in his wake by punching a meteor? I suppose, but they already pulled this exact same joke in episode 1 when Saitama beat the giant man.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I find Saitama's world and characters as boring as he finds them, for me the series peaked like 5 chapters in and the anime 2 episodes in and after that I just got tired of seeing the same jokes and set ups over and over again. Major threat occurs, a bunch of heroes go out to stop it in typical shonen action where they job one by one while people think they "have a chance", Saitama for whatever hilarious reason is slow to arrive on the scene, he beats the baddie in one punch, people then give him little to no credit for reasons, and then Saitama and Genos go home. Even when the series spices it up later on and gives the non Saitama characters mooks to fight and beat in a more traditional shonen sense the action while well done isn't interesting because I don't care about these characters and the jokes they make aren't funny. I feel the same way watching wave after wave of hero show up in One Punch Man as I do watching wave after wave of random soul reaper show up to fight random arracar. Going back to the manga for a bit the story arc that just finished
metal bat fighting a giant monster then fighting that main villain of the series
I have no reason to care about the guy I'm supposed to root for, either thing he's fighting against, and the joke at the end
with the sister might be clever... if the series hadn't already pulled the same stunt with sweet mask earlier during the alien invasion stuff

For a gag/parody/comedy series, I shouldn't be able to see the joke coming from a mile away, that is cardinal sin one and it's the one OPM breaks repeatedly. This is especially egregious when people say "OPM is so brilliant it subverts expectations" but doubling down on subversion makes that the standard and expected.

I will give the series credit where it is due (fantastically animation/drawing, strong character designs, strong voice acting in the dub) but that's about it and those alone don't redeem my main issue with the series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kai hurts the series in a lot of ways. They miss out on some great animation sequences that is filler fighting. Also, no Falcouner music sucks ass!

DBZ has not aged that well, especially the Cell Saga and the Buy Saga
If Kai is an improvement on the pacing, I'd hate to see the original series. Hell, I probably would've dropped it long by now.

In fact, in the original, we would've been at, what, episode 172? We've cut almost 90 episodes at this point, I can't imagine having to deal with almost 2 years worth of additional episodes. Again, granted, there's a huge difference between 5 episodes a week & a weekly series.

Mizerman

If Kai is an improvement on the pacing, I'd hate to see the original series. Hell, I probably would've dropped it long by now.

In fact, in the original, we would've been at, what, episode 172? We've cut almost 90 episodes at this point, I can't imagine having to deal with almost 2 years worth of additional episodes. Again, granted, there's a huge difference between 5 episodes a week & a weekly series.

Oh man, if the original DBZ was on Toonami, it would've been a slog to get through. Especially since Toonami no longer has the benefit of a weekday schedule.

Jarate

Banned
Having something that's obviously coming isn't inherently a bad thing, especially when they do it in different ways and creativiley explore those situations.

Your main issue stems from some dislike of the comedy, which is fine. I'm not going to judge that because humor is humor. But, just be aware that that is the basically the crux of your argument.

You're trying your hardest to look deeply at One Punch Man when you're really only looking skin deep at it. It's the same issue with a lot of your criticism where you have a hard time understanding why authors are doing certain things that aren't inherently flawed designs, but designs you dislike.

I don't really like H X H so far, and I'll jokingly poke that hornets nest for funsies, but I can at least comprehend what makes it appeal to a huge fanbase and why its considered to be such a great anime. There are things like the fights concluding fairly fast so far that aren't inherently flawed design decisions and work well within the universe that I selfishly dislike. But I won't declare the show is bad for having that or even that having that is a flawed thing. It's something I understand is purely my preference rather then a logical criticism.

Ironically an upcoming character in DBZ Kai
Mr Satan
is used far better as subversion of expectations
when he's the only one who can convince the people of Earth to give Goku their energy to defeat buu
then anything in the entire run of OPM.

Jarate

Banned

Kai is weird because its by far the best version but has some glaring glaring flaws mostly due to Toei shitting the bed with post HD content.

Honestly, we shit on DBZ for its bad pacing originally, and yeah, it's annoyingly bad for its original run, but man, there's something awesome about fights that last 20+ episodes.

As others have said DBZ back in the day aired weekly which helped get past the pacing issues, it was also the og so while it doesn't hold up well for its time it was mind blowing stuff at its time kind of like classic final fantasy 1 or dragon quest 1. When you didn't know the difference between filler and canon the filler helped to break up the repetition of the main arc structure. Kai as a recut that attempts to weed out filler has to either duct tape or leave it random spats of filler for continuity which has always been somewhat jarring both for those who have and haven't seen the original series. Also many of your criticisms of the writing are valid and most fans generally agree with you, its why I often don't rank dbz in my top manga/anime lists because I know much of my enjoyment of it is childhood nostalgia and my enjoyment of the action in that world.

Seda

Perhaps not directly related to the discussion but I find a lot of people seem especially focused on what happens first, what happens second, what happens third. Too much focus on the timeline of events where there's a lot more that goes into these things. Reading the spoilers in a bullet point form doesn't give you half the picture. Trailers don't ruin stories because they depict some events that happen, etc.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I might've said it before, & there's a point when we reach it in OPM that I'll probably bring it up again as a comparison, but I can at the very least see why DBZ became popular back in the day. If this was your introduction to anime in the '90s at a young age, then it was most likely something you never saw before & that's why it was so appealing. I imagine if I actually DID see some episodes with actual fighting instead of standing around & talking, maybe things would've turned out different.

But to me, because I'm watching this years later & with a huge reference of anime, it doesn't have that same effect on me, but I still acknowledge the impact it's had & how it's influenced shonen that came afterwards. I wouldn't go so far to say I hate the series, I just don't care for it.

Also many of your criticisms of the writing are valid and most fans generally agree with you, its why I often don't rank dbz in my top manga/anime lists because I know much of my enjoyment of it is childhood nostalgia and my enjoyment of the action in that world.
Oh absolutely, I have a few shows like that as well, like Digimon (hence why my friend & I wanna see Tri), so I understand completely why many people here watch it. I don't want to take that away from anyone, it's just that I feel my main reason I don't care for the series is that I missed out on when it became most popular & would've had the biggest impact on me.

Line_HTX

Have you not seen how slow the pacing was when it was on weekday afternoons?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Have you not seen how slow the pacing was when it was on weekday afternoons?
Sort of. I didn't have cable/satellite as a kid until 2003/2004, so the only times I might see some or most of an episode was when I was at one of my friend's place since they were huge into it or when I would have to sit in the waiting room for an allergy shot, but even then, it was Sailor Moon (assuming the TV was on CN) or I'd ignore it because I was playing my GBA.

I think that was part of the reason why I didn't get into it, because when I DID see an episode, it was the characters standing around & talking about doing cool things, but not actually doing them.

Raxus

So I just checked and we just finished episode 84 of DBZ Kai. Comparing it to the OG DBZ we would be on episode ~169/154 of the series.

We did however lose the driving episode so it kind of evens out.

Raxus

She should've thought of that before marrying a guy who used to have a monkey tail & can go super saiyan.

....& could turn into a giant monkey.

And killed his grandpa.

And fought a band of instruments.
In fact, looking back, why weren't the namekians as varied as they were in Dragonball. What a cop out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

If we were watching OG DBZ right now instead of Kai, Frieza would have just killed Dende.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom