• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Reading over one of the Jojo threads and other people who have actually watched the dub (and not judging solely from 1st impressions of a 20 second YouTube clip): general impressions seem to be that it is more than serviceable, maybe not every character sticks the landing but is a solid enough dub. The other DVD problems kinda clouded the discussion of actual dub quality. Removal of wrrryyyy and Muda might be a deal breaker for some.

From what I've seen, JYB Jojo is so-so but I dig Speedwagons voice. It's very appropriately corny imo.

PURE EVEEL
Yeah, from what I've heard, it's not terrible, but it's also not great. I guess mixed overall, not quite Sentai levels, but nowhere near Aniplex or Funimation quality. Some characters stick it (like Patrick Seitz as Dio) & Disken who understands he won't be able to live up to the JPN voice of Joseph (Tomokazu Sugita, who plays great comedic characters like Gintoki from Gintama), so just goes with his own version which seems to be alright. There seems to only be one character (
Stroheim
from Part 2) that doesn't sound good or act right, but I'll wait & see for full context, I was just bummed by the YT clip I saw of the one or two lines I was so hoping they'd get right.

I'm hopeful Viz will make Part 3's dub good, especially since the test dub from a few years ago was rather good & they have more experience with the franchise.

Crocodile

Reading over one of the Jojo threads and other people who have actually watched the dub (and not judging solely from 1st impressions of a 20 second YouTube clip): general impressions seem to be that it is more than serviceable, maybe not every character sticks the landing but is a solid enough dub. The other DVD problems kinda clouded the discussion of actual dub quality. Removal of wrrryyyy and Muda might be a deal breaker for some.

From what I've seen, JYB Jojo is so-so but I dig Speedwagons voice. It's very appropriately corny imo.

PURE EVEEL

I mean "muda" is an actualy word that has an actual translation. But removing wrrrrry? Nah son, that ain't cool.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Muda makes some sense since it's Japanese for "useless" but it doesn't roll off the tongue as easily despite also being 2 syllables.

All I know is, Viz better keep the wwrrryyyy in Part 3. I don't know why WB would remove it from Part 1 considering how famous the word is. Even CC2 knew to include it when making their Jojo games.

"Muda" rolls off the tongue better then "Useless" but maybe that's just because of Koyasu. I still don't know how the VA can say the phrase so fast.

"Ora" is just a battle cry, and it sounds pretty good in the Part 3 dub

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The way I see it, Dio should often say "useless", but when he uses The World he should go into a fast pace "muda muda muda"
And yeah, props to Koyasu for managing to say it so damn fast. Unless they're using computers.

I bet patrick seitz can pull of useless useless useless really fast

It could also transition to something like useless...useless..useless.uselesslesslesslesslesslessless

Point gets across while being a lot easier to say

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I thought "futile" might have worked a little better to say at lightning speed
I don't know, that's three syllables, which makes it harder to make it sound good while spoken rapidly, plus it doesn't roll off the tongue as easily. Or maybe a professional could make it work, because I'm trying to say it fast, & it just doesn't work.

I don't know, that's three syllables, which makes it harder to make it sound good while spoken rapidly, plus it doesn't roll off the tongue as easily. Or maybe a professional could make it work, because I'm trying to say it fast, & it just doesn't work.

(US) Fu-Tle or (UK) fu-tile

????

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bah, I was thinking "tile" as two syllables, like "Few-Tie-L" for some reason.

Edit: Yeah, the UK way. Guess the US way might work better.

I say it the UK way.

And rewatching some Stardust Crusaders scenes maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Daisuke Ono and Koyasu can battle cry really fast for quite a while. I don't understand how someone can do that with those voices so fast

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's funny that we were talking about Haruhi considering Funimation just put up the first season to stream. I suggest if you don't mind a little discontinuity and haven't seen the series before to look up the original broadcast order and watch it like that.

The problem is that while they're the same number of syllables, the syllables in "useless" and "futile" are much longer than those in "muda", particularly the 's' sounds in the former and the "fyu" sound in the latter. I read an article a few weeks ago partially about the translation issues in Final Fantasy X, which included having to deal with the fact that "hai" can be said very quickly, but "yes" takes a relatively long time, which resulted in a lot of characters saying, "yeah".

BatDan

Gonna need some Made in Heaven to get to Jojo's premiere.

On an unrelated note, I just learned the Digimon Adventure Tri dub kept the Japanese soundtrack. That is too good

PURE EVEEL

Its a dub so...it'll never be as good as the original. Very few exceptions exist and thats only due to a mediocre OV.

BatDan

The Jojo dub is going to have to deal with the issue of copyright-friendly names. It's not as bad in Parts 1 & 2, but come Stardust Crusaders and it's all going to sound weird.

I'm still going to go by their intended names.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm gonna guess that Viz will just use the names that Namco got for All-Star Battle & Eyes of Heaven since those were approved directly from the author, which in turn were used for the Crunchyroll subs of Part 4 (maybe Part 3 as well, but I can't remember).

Though at the very least, Viz was able to use Polnareff for Part 3, which is super weird that Namco couldn't use it for EITHER Jojo game lately.

At least the dub using the "plz don't sue us" names won't lead to the bizarre disconnect I feel watching the official subs when the subtitles don't at all match the name being said.

BatDan

I'm gonna guess that Viz will just use the names that Namco got for All-Star Battle & Eyes of Heaven since those were approved directly from the author, which in turn were used for the Crunchyroll subs of Part 4 (maybe Part 3 as well, but I can't remember).

Though at the very least, Viz was able to use Polnareff for Part 3, which is super weird that Namco couldn't use it for EITHER Jojo game lately.

Looking into it, some other names are different in the Crunchyroll subs and the games. Really it's hard to say what will stick and what won't.

I find it hard to believe Araki approved of Zipper Man

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I find it hard to believe Araki approved of Zipper Man
My guess is if you look at the album cover for Sticky Fingers, it's a close-up of a man's zipper. I assume that Namco tried to come up with names that tried their best to still keep references to the band. For example, instead of "Vanilla Ice", he was called "Cool Ice" in the game & anime, which you could argue is a reference to the movie Cool as Ice, which starred Vanilla Ice.

Nothing will beat Namco's replacement name in Eyes of Heaven for a stand who is named Limp Bizkit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NARUTO - EPISODE SIXTY-FIVE: Dancing Leaf, Squirming Sand

Remember kids, stretch before and after heavy exercise!

Temari wins. She still can't believe it. Ino can't believe Shikamaru quit either, but Chouji knows. Kurenai thinks about it for awhile and notes that while his motivation was lacking his logic and tactics were flawless and perfect for a real mission, he'd have a squad and would have won easily. Won the battle but lost the match. His teacher thinks the same way; not having that killer instinct and not being swayed by emotions are highly desirable traits in field commanders. Clarity of vision is vital for Chunin who are field leaders. The two best Chunin also agree. Being the last man standing isn't what ninja are all about. They think he has a way better chance than Naruto. Naruto is pissed beyond belief and jumps down to give him some shit. Shikamaru asks him if he's forgotten about the next match. He has. The crowd hasn't. They're like freshly cooked pasta, they need the sauce. Opinion is pretty split on who would win. Joekage wants to call it but the Kazekage is willing to give them ten more minutes. He agrees reluctantly. Kazekage has those Hisoka eyes.

The Boss.

Genma is JYB's name by the way. He takes out his ninja watch. Someone is approaching the gate. It's Lee and Might Guy! Another real hero shows up. Naruto threatens to kill Sasuke if he doesn't show. Lee is legit shook that Naruto beat Neji. Hardwork Pedigree beats whiny emo destiny pedigree. Gaara tells his siblings that Sauce will be here. The crowd is feisty as hell for this. Naruto is pacing next to JYB. Who is ready to call it.

Megasized Gif Jar of Sauce

Bawh Gawhd, It's the Sauce. Naruto asks him if he was afraid to lose to him. Sauce asks him if he won. Naruto did win, but he's still a loser. He wants to fight Naruto bad. Kakashi asks JYB if he's too late. Like student, like teacher, but no, he isn't disqualified. Naruto also wants to fight the Sauce. Ino is cheering for the Sauce. Shikamaru is yesterday's news. Ino wants to know what it is like being on an awesome team. Naruto impressed and now it is the golden boy's turn.

Let it go.

Lee is also bummed out about team seven's success. Kazekage is relieved. TOTALLY AN ANBU BLACK OPS guy is also watching quietly. Naruto and Shikamaru take the stairs to leave. Gaara is totally hisoka'ing out. Like father like son I guess. Kankuro tries to give him advice about the plan but Temari closes her hand over his mouth, doesn't want to see him killed. Some rando Grass ninjas were paid to take out Gaara. Gaara is walking towards the stairwell with Naruto and Shikamaru on it.

Horror movie quality kill.

Doesn't go well for them.

sXH0gKx.gif

Naruto and Shikamaru let him quietly walk by. Shikamaru and Naruto discuss their good luck, a few seconds later and they'd be dead...and Sauce's bad luck! New ending time! Not one of my favorites, but not bad either.

Here it is.

Mizerman

My guess is if you look at the album cover for Sticky Fingers, it's a close-up of a man's zipper. I assume that Namco tried to come up with names that tried their best to still keep references to the band. For example, instead of "Vanilla Ice", he was called "Cool Ice" in the game & anime, which you could argue is a reference to the movie Cool as Ice, which starred Vanilla Ice.

Nothing will beat Namco's replacement name in Eyes of Heaven for a stand who is named Limp Bizkit.

And before that, in the Capcom Jojo fighter, Vanilla Ice was renamed Iced overseas.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So think they'll do another double DBZ night the week after IBO finishes considering they don't want to start a new show at the beginning of December?

I mean "muda" is an actualy word that has an actual translation. But removing wrrrrry? Nah son, that ain't cool.

Muda makes some sense since it's Japanese for "useless" but it doesn't roll off the tongue as easily despite also being 2 syllables.

All I know is, Viz better keep the wwrrryyyy in Part 3. I don't know why WB would remove it from Part 1 considering how famous the word is. Even CC2 knew to include it when making their Jojo games.

"Muda" rolls off the tongue better then "Useless" but maybe that's just because of Koyasu. I still don't know how the VA can say the phrase so fast.

"Ora" is just a battle cry, and it sounds pretty good in the Part 3 dub

It's weirder because the official Viz manga translation uses Muda, complete with a footnote that says "Japanese for Useless".
On some "All according to keikkaku" shit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's DBZ's last episode that week and I don't think they'd want to start the Buu arc then so I don't think so.
Damn, it is?

Well hell, at that point, I could see them just showing the final episode, then do a DBZ marathon as one of the weeks on Dec. or even just do marathons every week in Dec just so January can have a completely fresh start of IBO's & DBZ's replacement or next arc & Jojo's next part.

Chase17

NARUTO - EPISODE SIXTY-FIVE: Dancing Leaf, Squirming Sand

Remember kids, stretch before and after heavy exercise!

Temari wins. She still can't believe it. Ino can't believe Shikamaru quit either, but Chouji knows. Kurenai thinks about it for awhile and notes that while his motivation was lacking his logic and tactics were flawless and perfect for a real mission, he'd have a squad and would have won easily. Won the battle but lost the match. His teacher thinks the same way; not having that killer instinct and not being swayed by emotions are highly desirable traits in field commanders. Clarity of vision is vital for Chunin who are field leaders. The two best Chunin also agree. Being the last man standing isn't what ninja are all about. They think he has a way better chance than Naruto. Naruto is pissed beyond belief and jumps down to give him some shit. Shikamaru asks him if he's forgotten about the next match. He has. The crowd hasn't. They're like freshly cooked pasta, they need the sauce. Opinion is pretty split on who would win. Joekage wants to call it but the Kazekage is willing to give them ten more minutes. He agrees reluctantly. Kazekage has those Hisoka eyes.

The Boss.

Genma is JYB's name by the way. He takes out his ninja watch. Someone is approaching the gate. It's Lee and Might Guy! Another real hero shows up. Naruto threatens to kill Sasuke if he doesn't show. Lee is legit shook that Naruto beat Neji. Hardwork Pedigree beats whiny emo destiny pedigree. Gaara tells his siblings that Sauce will be here. The crowd is feisty as hell for this. Naruto is pacing next to JYB. Who is ready to call it.

Megasized Gif Jar of Sauce

Bawh Gawhd, It's the Sauce. Naruto asks him if he was afraid to lose to him. Sauce asks him if he won. Naruto did win, but he's still a loser. He wants to fight Naruto bad. Kakashi asks JYB if he's too late. Like student, like teacher, but no, he isn't disqualified. Naruto also wants to fight the Sauce. Ino is cheering for the Sauce. Shikamaru is yesterday's news. Ino wants to know what it is like being on an awesome team. Naruto impressed and now it is the golden boy's turn.

Let it go.

Lee is also bummed out about team seven's success. Kazekage is relieved. TOTALLY AN ANBU BLACK OPS guy is also watching quietly. Naruto and Shikamaru take the stairs to leave. Gaara is totally hisoka'ing out. Like father like son I guess. Kankuro tries to give him advice about the plan but Temari closes her hand over his mouth, doesn't want to see him killed. Some rando Grass ninjas were paid to take out Gaara. Gaara is walking towards the stairwell with Naruto and Shikamaru on it.

Horror movie quality kill.

Doesn't go well for them.

sXH0gKx.gif

Naruto and Shikamaru let him quietly walk by. Shikamaru and Naruto discuss their good luck, a few seconds later and they'd be dead...and Sauce's bad luck! New ending time! Not one of my favorites, but not bad either.

Here it is.
Forgot how much Gaara kills in part 1. Was justice ever received for those he killed in the forest. I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom