• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
*just woke up, reads animegaf stuff*
I'm now in a really weird place, since uh. I like some people in animegaf, I don't defend that sort of thing, I know part of it made me question it, and that some people banned are actually lurking this thread. As such, besides those details, don't know what to say besides I feel like I missed a little bit of context here and there.

Hi TUSR

Soulflarz

Banned
This guy in Akame Ga Kill is a JRPG protagonist, isn't he. Actually, he feels like a dumbed down one, in a literal sense. I can't say I love him so far. (Halfway into the episode)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still love the fact I was joking/referencing during AKG....

hFGBnT5.gif

.....only to find out it actually happened. I actually can't wait to see what else this show is going to throw at me.

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay unsure what to make of the first episode of AKG. It wasn't bad, but I can't say it was that interesting, and I had moments of "hey thats convenient on way too many levels" (re-meeting the girl, not getting drugged the first meal like his friends causing him to survive, both his friends ending up at that house in general, etc)

Anyone ever have this dilemma?

I could probably go beat Ys 7 right now, I'm at the save before the final boss and I have my preferred team with their ultimate weapons/armor... but part of me wants to grind out the remaining synthesis items I need to get everyone's best weapon and armor which either will require a few hours of grinding or leaving the game on to auto grind over night while I watch/play something else on a different system.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone ever have this dilemma?

I could probably go beat Ys 7 right now, I'm at the save before the final boss and I have my preferred team with their ultimate weapons/armor... but part of me wants to grind out the remaining synthesis items I need to get everyone's best weapon and armor which either will require a few hours of grinding or leaving the game on to auto grind over night while I watch/play something else on a different system.

I have, no joke, about ten games right now in that state.

Tales of the Abyss
Xenoblade 3DS (to be fair, I have beaten this game five times to 100% completion)
Demon Gaze's (Post Game)
Luigi's Mansion 2
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX (Like Xenoblade though I have beaten these games numerous times)

I have, no joke, about ten games right now in that state.

Tales of the Abyss
Xenoblade 3DS (to be fair, I have beaten this game five times to 100% completion)
Demon Gaze's (Post Game)
Luigi's Mansion 2
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX (Like Xenoblade though I have beaten these games numerous times)

O_O JEEBUS how do you find the time/patience for that?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Started with the European release. Beat it once with the English dub and CC, once with the Japanese dub and Wii Remote. Got the US Version, did the same thing only switching the controllers up. Had a friend who wanted to like the game but didn't get it who had me play it while he watched pretty much to completion.

BTW, is Xenoblade 3DS a good port? Due to my transit, I get through portable games much more quickly than console games, so if it's half-decent, I'd be inclined to get that over the console version.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's a VERY decent port. Looks great, actually improves the framerate in places. Only thing its really missing is the Japanese audio track because of obvious space concerns.

The reason why I haven't beaten it is kinda a lame one, honestly. I could say it's because I'm playing MH4U or doing FF V fiesta runs, but the real reason is not having a Shulk Amiibo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As someone who knows Non-Canon™ and someone who has seen One Piece through multiple times now my opinion is that the 1000 year old dragon arc (aka the one with Apis in it) while not great by any means is actually closer to the top of One Piece Non-Canon material than it is to the bottom.

It's better than GOAT island. It's better than the arcs between Alabasta and Skypiea and between Davy Back and Water Seven. It's certainly better than the filler arc coming up, and the two used to promote the Oda overseen movies. It's not as good as the greatest One Piece filler arc, the one between Skypiea and Davy Back. It is however better than the first Foxy filler
but not the second between Thriller Bark and Saobody as that one is awesome.

I'm pretty sure one of those English performances came before the other one.

Ben Diskin was inspired by clips of himself sent from the future to do his Joestar voice as Numbah 1, soon Ben will send clips of these episode back in time to himself to complete the time loop.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The big problem with Naruto is that they always come back to The Sauce secretly liking Naruto and them being best friends...with absolutely no real proof that this ever happened. The story either needed to start with a dragonball like ninja academy show where we learn this (flashbacks in the series do actually prove that Naruto is friends with Chouji,Kiba, and our main character Shikamaru, but not the sauce) or some sort of logical time skip after Haku and Zabusa but before the Chunin exams where they could have bonded.

Instead, going by canon only, they go on what, one mission, then the Chunin Exam, then they are training separately, then Sauce is hospitalized, then his brother shows up putting him down until Tsunade shows up, then they fight, then he goes rogue. But suddenly at the waterfall Naruto gains another stalker besides Hinata.

Watch last weeks episode for the start of arguably one of the best fights in the whole series. The first 5 or so minutes are zzz but once Team Asuma attacks the Akatsuki is gets really good.

I'd recommend just starting from the beginning of the arc even if its pretty slow for the build up, but yeah. Now's the right time to jump into shippuden if you haven't been keeping up. This is a great arc.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The animation also started to get good a few weeks back.

In fact one of the episodes where almost no action takes place has fantastic animation for no reason whatsoever. I think it was four weeks ago now.

Puruzi

Banned
Naruto anime started to suck when shippuden started. Storm 2 and 3 are the definitive way to view the series.
Some of the shit in 3 made me get absurdly emotional, and it didn't happen when I read it in the manga.
The fights are also a whole lot cooler.

Moaradin

Shippuden picks up a lot from this point on

The animation also started to get good a few weeks back.

In fact one of the episodes where almost no action takes place has fantastic animation for no reason whatsoever. I think it was four weeks ago now.

There's a really artsy looking episode with really good animation a few weeks from now in Shippuden. Has no action in it whatsoever but it's a great episode.

Grexeno

Tonight's One Piece is sort of like this. Everything just looks higher quality than usual, but there's basically no action to speak of.

Naruto anime started to suck when shippuden started. Storm 2 and 3 are the definitive way to view the series.
Some of the shit in 3 made me get absurdly emotional, and it didn't happen when I read it in the manga.
The fights are also a whole lot cooler.

The music in the Storm games is also fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1NPR5j9ms&index=29&list=PLC1BF291D0D0AF161

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCbXhFWpBHQ&index=14&list=PLC1BF291D0D0AF161

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJyXqj-67iY

I agree that the Storm games are the best way to go through the series, though it streamlines some moments like Sasori's backstory being mostly missing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tonight's One Piece is sort of like this. Everything just looks higher quality than usual, but there's basically no action to speak of.

Tonight's an Eisaku Inoue episode. He's probably the best animator the series has, the closest the emulating Oda's style.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I considered making the gifs for this episode in advance but after putting in the disc and skipping ahead I
started bawling uncontrollably when the music hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom