• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

I have heard they had some scraps over One Piece things but what is more telling is that they don't have the rights to Dragon Ball Super right now and it being on legal streaming does actually speak to the changed nature of their relationship.
It is?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Like I don't discount FUNimation getting Dragon Ball Super but seriously no announcement of any sort is just odd for what should be the ultimate no-brainer.

Seda

I'm going to assume that the less interesting DBZ Kai Buu silence is because it will for sure air on Toonami when it gets there - too far away to announce anything.

As for Super, I wonder if licensing bidding is stalling everything.

Grexeno

I'm going to assume that the less interesting DBZ Kai Buu silence is because it will for sure air on Toonami when it gets there - too far away to announce anything.

I have wondered if Netflix or Hulu is throwing obscene amounts of money at Toei for Super.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

That is my thought.

Moaradin

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to get a different cast for DBZ. The current voices are too engraved into the main cast at this point. With RoF making so much money in theaters, I can't imagine Super going to anyone else other than Funimation.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to get a different cast for DBZ. The current voices are too engraved into the main cast at this point. With RoF making so much money in theaters, I can't imagine Super going to anyone else other than Funimation.

FOX was stupid enough to give us Dragonball Evolution.

Shard still dodging the "dbs legal streaming" comment I see nor has he presented anything that indicates a strained relationship outside of heresay. If anything the fact funi and toei have kept quiet on buu kai despite us basically knowing funi has it and has dubbed it might just mean dragon ball super is being kept hush hush until whenever toei/funi decide to announce them airing on us tv.

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to get a different cast for DBZ. The current voices are too engraved into the main cast at this point.

I kind of hope they do, just for the meltdowns and insanity.

Plus, it's not like DBZ characters haven't been recasted (poorly) by Funimation before.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shard still dodging the "dbs legal streaming" comment I see nor has he presented anything that indicates a strained relationship outside of heresay. If anything the fact funi and toei have kept quiet on buu kai despite us basically knowing funi has it and has dubbed it might just mean dragon ball super is being kept hush hush until whenever toei/funi decide to announce them airing on us tv.

I admit I could be wrong about this and while doing research I did fine this article about FUNimation and DBS, the outlook seems to be positive but they also admit negotiations seem to be labored.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/dragon...unimation-chimes-regarding-english-dub-458717

Moaradin

Most of the recast in Kai are supporting roles and the majority of them are improvements. The only voice in the original that I wish they kept was Android 18, but in Battle of Gods they got the original VO back. Leads me to believe it was mostly a scheduling conflict.

I for the life of me do not understand how someone can say Linda Young was a better Frieza than Chris Ayres, for example, and I see that pretty frequently.

brb, gonna go watch some YYH now

tumblr_mbngol7xSO1riyd1ho1_500.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Most of the recast in Kai are supporting roles and the majority of them are improvements. The only voice in the original that I wish they kept was Android 18, but in Battle of Gods they got the original VO back. Leads me to believe it was mostly a scheduling conflict.
Meredith McCoy retired from voice acting years ago. She only came back for the movies because they were small bit roles that could be recorded in one session. I doubt she comes back for Super unless 18's presence in the show is basically nonexistent.

Soulflarz

Banned
Re: last page OR earlier this page, if you use that weird 100 posts per page setting.

I hate how SAO does fanservice, because there's a difference between someone dressing like a normal girl with suggestive clothing choices and the camera is pointed at her with the sole intent of the viewers...uh...enjoyment? Do people enjoy Sinon ass shots? Feels tasteless to me.

LOLDSFAN

Ratings doing good. M&H still boggles my mind though that it keeps hitting a million each week. I don't know what people see in it.

I actually have the whole thing on DVD, I bought it during a half-price sale. I love it so much. It's easy to forget how few fucks everyone gives, they actually give less fucks than we give them credit for.

Man I really need to snag the collection off of Amazon if it's affordable. I remember paying $20+ for a funimation VHS with 4 or 5 episodes on it back in the mid 2000s. Thinking back DVD prices were so ridiculous around that time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man I really need to snag the collection off of Amazon if it's affordable. I remember paying $20+ for a funimation VHS with 4 or 5 episodes on it back in the mid 2000s. Thinking back DVD prices were so ridiculous around that time.

I was even able to grab the movie, which they apparently re-dubbed or something. I dunno, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

I was even able to grab the movie, which they apparently re-dubbed or something. I dunno, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Poltergeist Report? I got it around 2004 I think and thought it was pretty good although the voice actors were different from the show.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like it won't break a million once Parasyte replaces SAO

Well yea, it won't have that MMO fake-edge Kirito crap to help pull viewers.

Poltergeist Report? I got it around 2004 I think and thought it was pretty good although the voice actors were different from the show.

I think so, I'm like 50% or so sure they re-dubbed it with the proper actors for my version. I'll watch it and tell you.

Love the Dandy avatar, by the way.

Thanks. Season 2 rebroadcast when Toonami?

I feel like Akame Ga Kill is a show that half of the people here will like because they can laugh at the edge, and the rest will be bored after a couple of episodes. It seems to be doing well rating wise, which is good.

Perhaps the only thing I can really complement the show on, is its art. Not the actual art of the characters, but the art of the world stays pretty strong throughout the show's run. It feels big and vibrant, and is reasonably easy on the eyes.

Moaradin

Pretty sure the YYH movie hasn't been dubbed with the proper dub yet. Don't know what's holding them actually. When the Blu Ray for the series came out would be a good time, but maybe they don't have the rights for it?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pretty sure the YYH movie hasn't been dubbed with the proper dub yet. Don't know what's holding them actually. When the Blu Ray for the series came out would be a good time, but maybe they don't have the rights for it?

I just dug out the DVD and it says they dubbed the movie with the original cast, I'm going to put it in and watch it just to be sure.

Moaradin

I just dug out the DVD and it says they dubbed the movie with the original cast, I'm going to put it in and watch it just to be sure.

Do you mean The Golden Seal? Technically it's called YYH: The Movie, but it's only some weird 30 minute thing.

Poltergeist Report is the one that's a full length movie, and I don't think that one was dubbed with Funimation voices.

I'm not too keen on M&H but frankly it's amazing it even exists.

-Two female non-Japanese or American/European main characters
-Set in South America
-Well made, looks nice, good music
-First directorial work of a female director (Sayo Yamamoto)

It ran on Noise though, which was supposed to be competing with noitaminA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom