• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Deals can be tricky to make sometimes. I mean, HxH is around three years overdue.

I can't believe we still have no idea who has HxH. I wish we knew where to look, but the whole "rights" thing is an obscured mess until someone comes out and says they have it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have the rights to HxH.

gQiSask.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We know for sure it's not Viz.
It could be Funimation (ideal), Aniplex (PAY OUT THE ASS) or Sentai (urgh)
We would know if it was Harmony Gold
I doubt it's Saban, they don't seem interested in anime after Digimon Xros Wars bombed (who knows if they'll do Adventure Tri)

Zubz

Banned
What kind of idiot taste maker doesn't like Cowboy Bebop enough to get angry about though? You'd have to be a deep anime hipster to hold that viewpoint.

I know a guy like that. He thinks all anime over 5-years old is trash, with a few exceptions (All of them are very fanservicey, though; Full Metal Panic: Fuumofu comes to mind). For some reason, Bobobo, Cromartie High, and DBZ set him off in particular, but he also doesn't like Cowboy Bebop and a lot of other "classic" shows just because "they aren't up to the standards set by 'newer' anime." Meanwhile, *INSERT ROMANCE ANIME FROM NEWEST SEASON* and/or Angel Beats are the pinnacle of anime for him, and everyone that doesn't hold that opinion is a "peasant."

So naturally, I'll ask him things like if I should see Avatar subbed or dubbed.

I know a guy like that. He thinks all anime over 5-years old is trash, with a few exceptions (All of them are very fanservicey, though; Full Metal Panic: Fuumofu comes to mind). For some reason, Bobobo, Cromartie High, and DBZ set him off in particular, but he also doesn't like Cowboy Bebop and a lot of other "classic" shows just because "they aren't up to the standards set by 'newer' anime." Meanwhile, *INSERT ROMANCE ANIME FROM NEWEST SEASON* and/or Angel Beats are the pinnacle of anime for him, and everyone that doesn't hold that opinion is a "peasant."

this guy sounds like a dumbass

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Regarding Michiko and Hatchin, that show is frustrating me because it should be better then it is but just hasn't been bringing the good in terms of storyline development of character chops thus far.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

"set him off" as in he hates them or loves them? & to be fair, FMP Fuumofu is rather funny at times. But otherwise, wow, what? I would like to know these "standards" that newer shows have set.

Also, does his opinion change when whatever romance anime he's watching becomes 5-years old?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
"set him off" as in he hates them or loves them? & to be fair, FMP Fuumofu is rather funny at times. But otherwise, wow, what? I would like to know these "standards" that newer shows have set.

Also, does his opinion change when whatever romance anime he's watching becomes 5-years old?

Fumofu is god-tier. The rugby episode alone justifies the season.

Zubz

Banned
this guy sounds like a dumbass

In that regard, yeah, but he's still my friend for other reasons outside of his tastes in television (He dislikes American shows, too; he complained the entire time we watched Archer). It's just that I saw this post and was immediately reminded me of him, his tastes, and how he views the tastes of others. At the very least, I'm not his only friend that thinks this way. I'm not disparaging him as a person, but his mindset towards the entirety of televised media just baffles me.

He hates them. He asked for anime recommendations on Facebook once and deleted my comment after I suggested Bobobo. About a week later, I was talking to a mutual friend who told me he was still complaining about that suggestion a few days after the post, so he apparently was steaming about it.

Fuumofu was good when I saw it years ago, but if I had to whittle down Top 5 anime, Fuumofu wouldn't be on the list. It also had a decent bit fanservice, which was a common theme among his older exceptions. And I haven't known him long enough to know if his unwritten "5 year" rule is rolling. My guess is that he started watching anime relatively recently, so he thinks the shows he started with are unbeatable. He comes off as being super-into the medium (He uses "otaku" unironically), but I don't think he's seen much outside of the newer stuff. It's like the classic "Gewunner" mindset with Pokemon, but he defends the newer material and refuses to acknowledge older stuff instead. I didn't meet him until late into my undergrad, and I've never thought to ask him when he started watching anime, though.

Plus, I was there the first time he saw Bobobo. He was expecting a more "modern anime" kind of comedy, where it was a slice of life-y, fanservice-ish high school setting. All I told him was that Bobobo was older, and "magnificent." Nothing could have prepared him for what he got, so I guess he just couldn't handle it. He loves the almost-equally-strange Space Dandy and JoJo, though, which backs the "only newer stuff gets a pass" rule. I mean, JoJo's almost 30-years old, but I don't think he knows that it was a manga first...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To be fair, as much as I enjoyed Bo-bobo as a teen, I clearly know it's not for everyone because of its completely & utter random humor, though man, Cromartie? & come on, deleting a serious suggestion & still being made about it A WEEK LATER? That's rather immature.

Kind of annoys me when people can't accept the older titles when it comes to media. You don't have to ENJOY the past, but it still helps to view them in order to see the evolution and how it's inspired/influenced future titles. It's like those people who can't watch older movies because there's no color or refuse to play older games because the graphics look "bad" or aren't 3D.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There was a hot springs scene where the leaves & plants would block out all the good parts things that had to be censored. & I guess the final episode, but it was more of a punchline (& a funny one after the build up), but that's all I remember.

What the fuck kind of "anime superfan" is going to shit on somebody for liking Cowboy Bebop of all fucking things?

That is basically the equivalent of a self-proclaimed "film buff" chewing out someone for liking The Godfather. Like, really, that's the battle you're picking?

They are seen as "entry level"

So yeah, basically hipsters, most people who feign a sense of knowledge or superiority usually don't know what they are talking about either.

What the fuck kind of "anime superfan" is going to shit on somebody for liking Cowboy Bebop of all fucking things?

That is basically the equivalent of a self-proclaimed "film buff" chewing out someone for liking The Godfather. Like, really, that's the battle you're picking?

To be fair, I've seen that whole scenario with The Godfather happen a pretty worrying number of times.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I've seen that whole scenario with The Godfather happen a pretty worrying number of times.

I've seen people call it overrated, but I've never seen someone straight up give anybody shit for liking it. Because even people who think it's overrated generally acknowledge that their opinion is decidedly in the minority.

I guess that's the whole "lacking in social awareness" aspect of anime superfandom.

That's how you know they're legit because they know that "one of the best ever" is secretly shit. Its the story of the kings new clothes but in entertainment form

:p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have endured a 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. shift & am feeling a weird mixture of energy & exhaustion. Still figuring out my schedule, but from what it seems like, I most likely will have to work during Toonami BUT instead of going at midnight, I can go in at 2 a.m. it seems, so at the very least, I can watch the first three shows, then record the 1:30 & 2:30 shows. I'd rather miss two shows than the entire block.

.......also during our break, we watched Harvey Birdman & Sealab 2021 on Adult Swim.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I just want to know damn it. Even if someone has it and is just gonna hog it and never release it, just let me know who ;_;
Perhaps an Eastern Asian company bought the WORLDWIDE english rights for some reason and has thus been cockblocking the rest of the world.

Line_HTX

hey man

cant we get along

NO FUN ALLOWED
FUNgineer

I have endured a 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. shift & am feeling a weird mixture of energy & exhaustion. Still figuring out my schedule, but from what it seems like, I most likely will have to work during Toonami BUT instead of going at midnight, I can go in at 2 a.m. it seems, so at the very least, I can watch the first three shows, then record the 1:30 & 2:30 shows. I'd rather miss two shows than the entire block.

.......also during our break, we watched Harvey Birdman & Sealab 2021 on Adult Swim.

At least you get to leave when SAO II starts. How much coffee do you need for that graveyard shift?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Isn't Parasyte going to replace SAO2? That's going to be a huge bummer not being able to watch it again with you guys.

Only had one cup of coffee before I went, actually felt fine until right near the end (I was starting to slow down), but all that was left was washing the glass door & some windows. Heck, my friend said I handled my first day better than he did. Plus I'm going in at midnight instead of 2 a.m., which should work better for my body. If anything, the hardest part is just getting my body adjusted to stay up those hours & actually learn to go to sleep when I want to take naps.

kewlmyc

You guys are wondering what will replace Michiko & Hatchin? For some reason, I'm putting money on an Aniplex title. They have plenty to choose from: Magi (2 seasons worth), Fate/Zero and UBW, and freaking Aldnoah Zero. I have a feeling it will be Aldnoah Zero, which is a decent watch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I could see M&H getting bumped down a slot, considering they'd want a new show closer to the front of the block.

Though imagine an hour of Sentai dub.

Grexeno

You guys are wondering what will replace Michiko & Hatchin? For some reason, I'm putting money on an Aniplex title. They have plenty to choose from: Magi (2 seasons worth), Fate/Zero and UBW, and freaking Aldnoah Zero. I have a feeling it will be Aldnoah Zero, which is a decent watch.
I'm still putting my money on either Tokyo Ghoul or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom