• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
G Gundam is the best

G Gundam is my shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

QTyysER.gif

I really don't get all the hate Try gets. It's not really bad. Pretty enjoyable actually. It's not as good as the first season, but it hardly does anything that warrants hate.

Well lets see.

You have Sekai, who is just a worse Reiji and starts asspulling immediately instead of waiting to get his super power fist like in S1. Sekai always just uses TATSUMAKI SENPYAKU or HOKUTO HYAKURETSU-KEN to win a fight.

Fumina is fine. Should be the MC but halfway through the show she gets sidelined and gets a crush on Sekai for reasons? She's supposed to support but in reality that means upgrade the other two midfight then lose. Her motivation was to catch up to Lady Meijin who does literally nothing the entire show? She fights offscreen maybe once. They try and set up some kind of Lady Meijin thing between her and Shia but it doesn't mean anything. At all. What the fuck is a Lady Meijin anyway?

Yuuma, dear fucking lord. Everyone says how good he is because he won the Gunpla artistic tournament yet we never see him build stuff and his genius ideas are PUTTING FUCKING BACKPACKS ON EVERYTHING. Meanwhile Sakai makes a gunpla that can Gattai and just gets shit on. What the hell, Tryon 3 is awesome!

The entire point of the series is team battles but none of the fights are even team battles because they never work together and it's always Sekai vs the Team Leader. What's the point of team battles then? There is none because Sekai just does magic kung fu and wins. Team battles?

Team Try Fighters doesn't even have a distinct rival...or any competition really since it never sets any up. On episode 6 of the original series we had the Reiji vs Meijin fight which was the best fight in the entire series and from then on it was set up that that would be the final battle. We also got other likable people to fight along the way like Fellini and Aila. In Try you get a bunch of people who get sidelined and then whats-his-face (Shia's brother) who is set up as the rival on pretty much nothing and has no screen presence, compared to Meijin. Meijin is the best part of this show, even! A lot of the best parts of Try are just hanging off S1, with the big tease at the end being "Sei noticed them!"

It wasn't all bad, music was great and the show looked fine, but compared to S1 it loses out in every single way.

The only thing I know of Try is that one Gundam that did the Liverblow-Gazelle Punch-Dempsey Roll and that it was so fucking hype...except that there were no jet engine noises. C'mon Sunrise, you had one job! They're fucking robots, how the hell did no one put two and two together.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll probably watch Try in a month or two. Have a ton of GCCX to watch but for whatever reason I can't stop watching dubbed One Piece. Just watched the second half of Arlong Park and I think Hulu has a gigantic portion of the rest of the early stuff available.

Moaradin

I agree with most of that and I still think it was pretty enjoyable. S1 had just as much asspulls, if not more though. It never really bothered me since Build Fighters has always been about the SHOUNEN HEARTO, especially Try which seems to get a lot of influence from G Gundam (never seen it).

It's just an incredibly simple show and it's hard for me to get mad at it. As long as it continues to deliver fun fights, I'll be satisfied. Also worth noting that GBF:Try is unfinished as far as I know. They were hyping up the World Tournament a bunch in the second half so it's probably gonna get another season. Hopefully then we'll see more interesting rivals, and more of the team dynamic.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not saying you won't see that avatar next Saturday at 2:00, but you'll see that avatar next Saturday at 2:00am.

We are slowly starting to see more older series either getting reanimated or animated for the first time though. When someone is digging up series like Parasyte and Ushio & Tora and giving them modern adaptations that adapt all the major story points despite not being relevant or ever that popular is a sign to that.

Wasn't Parasyte finally animated because they made some shitty live-action movies around the same time?

especially Try which seems to get a lot of influence from G Gundam (never seen it).

FIX THIS NOW

Soulflarz

Banned
So while our wireless connection at college fluctuates between 2 and 8 megabits and dies constantly, wired stays a consistent 80-90

TOONAMI :D

Wasn't Parasyte finally animated because they made some shitty live-action movies around the same time?

FIX THIS NOW

Yes, but in the end it still meant we got a largely faithful adaptation of the manga. I don't care if its passion project, nostalgia exploitation, tie in to shitty live action movie, or whatever I just like seeing manga series that never got anime adaptations/full adaptations finally get them.

Grexeno

First week of part-time job finished. Almost gotten used to sleeping from 8 or 9 a.m. to about 3 or 4 p.m. Awesomely, from what my friend told me, I WILL get Sunday nights off now, meaning I won't miss any of Toonami now, excluding sudden call-ins. Yaaayyy.
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the wrong night.

Raxus

Yes, but in the end it still meant we got a largely faithful adaptation of the manga. I don't care if its passion project, nostalgia exploitation, tie in to shitty live action movie, or whatever I just like seeing manga series that never got anime adaptations/full adaptations finally get them.

Ushio and Tora is similar. It is nice people are actually going back to COMPLETED manga and doing adaptations since it usually means less chance of filler endings. The biggest 'flaws' is when the adaptation tends to show its age. I'll get into this in Parasyte when it airs. Ushio and Tora has been pretty great adaption though. The only thing that gave me pause is the fact Ushio managed to get a spear through airport security. Truly a different time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the wrong night.
Well, Sunday night = Sunday at 1 a.m. to the employees. Shifts start around Midnight to 2 a.m. depending on when the last movie finishes.

So like today, it was considered Saturday "night" because I went in at 1:15 a.m. Took me a while to understand what they were saying since I know we like to say "Saturday night" despite technically most of Toonami airing on Sunday.

Line_HTX

Well, Sunday night = Sunday at 1 a.m. to the employees. Shifts start around Midnight to 2 a.m. depending on when the last movie finishes.

So like today, it was considered Saturday "night" because I went in at 1:15 a.m. Took me a while to understand what they were saying since I know we like to say "Saturday night" despite technically most of Toonami airing on Sunday.

Yeah, I was going to say, that sounded really confusing and I almost thought you weren't posting right because of sleep, haha

Ushio and Tora is similar. It is nice people are actually going back to COMPLETED manga and doing adaptations since it usually means less chance of filler endings. The biggest 'flaws' is when the adaptation tends to show its age. I'll get into this in Parasyte when it airs. Ushio and Tora has been pretty great adaption though. The only thing that gave me pause is the fact Ushio managed to get a spear through airport security. Truly a different time.

Well, there was also a point in Ushio and Tora where the main character tried to call someone's cellphone and she just happened to not hear it, conspicuously covering up the fact that the original series took place before cellphones were around. But yeah, otherwise it works well enough in modern times so far.

It is plagued with bad writing (KENN's character ought to have been a main) but it was one of 2014's best anime osts though.

Line_HTX

OK, tonight's AgK is where I stopped. I don't remember the reason why I dropped it. I think it was because I wasn't getting into it and didn't understand why people were hyping the manga up. There was probably other shows going on that I think I wanted to watch more. Maybe I just ran out of patience, I don't know. At least I have a group watch to continue on after this. I swear this thread makes everything more enjoyable to watch, hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom