• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69iUXojMNaZFCr1

LATER

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 37 - A Nightmare Transformation! Frieza's Power Level: One Million!?
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 38 - Frieza Bares His Fangs! Gohan's Overwhelming Attack
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 4 - Kill the Imperial Arm User
1:00 - Michiko e Hatchin - 10 - The Carnival of Hyenas
1:30 - Sword Art Online II - 21 - Monument of the Swordsmen
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 80 - Last Words
2:30 - One Piece - 314 - The Strongest Family? Luffy's Father Revealed!
3:00 - Attack on Titan - 22 - Defeated: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 6

Later.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Believe they said that show was "done" on Pre flight awhile ago
I'm pretty sure all the old deals have expired by now. All that should be left is Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop and all the shows they threw money at (Space Dandy, GITS, Big O season 2, IGPX). FLCL could still be floating around too I guess but I doubt it.

Line_HTX

You got it, BRO!
Charging up teh lazor.
Mine has a scouter, what in the fuck...
Beast mode, huh...
This is the power of Night Raid.
Tatsumi dreamt of Gachimuchi.
Grrr... tch! Okay, fine.
Mine shrieks, explosion.
Hey, is there some kind of festival going on?!
You think you're on mah level?
I forgot that those castle walls looked like Titan walls.
Right! You've never led me astray before, so this man must be insane! Holy shit, that was the most seriously unintentionally funny way of delivery. It's like as if one of us recorded that dialogue!
Evil chuckle.

It gets more deadly the more danger I find myself in. Uh-huh... so this sniper gun is an Imperial Saiyan, right?
Ancient, legendary weapons.
I'm a sniper genius.
Hmm... I feel like being nice to you right now, so please listen to my cool story.
Rich girl laugh.
I suppose I have to commend you on your brav-...
>_<
It's so crowded there's a victim around every corner!
Evil chuckle. How delightful!

Alright, I caught up with remembering what I saw the first time and dropped it after the three episode rule. It seems to be more watchable this time around, maybe it was the delivery and the hilariously bad dub. Now I HAVE to see this Esdeath since that Toonami goodie had her kicking someone. She looks like the best. Her boot though...

Line_HTX

So how's akame ga kill

Is it the edge factory I thought it was?

Does it at least make for interesting promos?

It's okay. Very cheesy and dumb, but at least watchable enough to continue.

I haven't seen anything that edgy. It would have to be so over the top that I'm like... Man, I gotta walk away.

Promos are decent. They're below average as far as Toonami promos go, but somehow the viewers are pouring in. I hope they have some more Esdeath promos in the future.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
G-g-g-gooood morning everyone.
Man, I overslept. Felt good though.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
It begins!
Freeza's brutal transformations take center stage, and Krillin gets the worst of it (as per usual)
Meanwhile, Piccolo is two guys now! A shame we'll never hear from Nail again (thank you TeamFourStar)

Akame ga Kill:
*muffled quality* Seriously, can't Sentai afford better mics?
I'd say we could do a drinking game to all the cliches, but I don't want anyone to die.

Michiko & Hatchin:
A nice subdued episode with a happy ending. Hatchin got a pretty big lesson in growing up.

Sword Art Online II:
We finally get a likable character in Yuuki! Only took forever. ... How long until Kirito ruins her like he ruined Sinon?

Naruto Shippuden:
Welp, there goes Asuma. Actually doing a good job at showcasing how major a threat Hidan is, especially since he can even survive decapitation.

One Piece:
Yay, happy peaceful times. Luffy has mastered the art of sleep-eating!
Franky's gonna build them a ship!
Is it a spoiler at this point that he so obviously joins the crew? It's been 9 years
And we meet Luffy's biological grandfather! Say hello to Vice Admiral Monkey D. Garp. He's awesome.

Jarate

Banned
Sorry I missed toonami with ya'll last night ;-;

Anyone here know the cheapest place I can get manga? The place I work at dont care if I read between my calls, but manga is kind of expensive right now

Gorillaz

Lol at people saying AGK was made from an anime generator. It really does look like it. Shit follows all the same beats as your average show

Some quick thoughts on last nights episodes

DBZ Kai: Arguably the greatest fight arc in all of DB and by far the most influential begins and it quickly becomes apparent just how fucked our main characters are. Even Vegeta is no match for Freeza the moment he puts even a little amount of effort. As a kid the idea of a 1 million power level blew my mind and despite power levels being kind of a joke in retrospective that number still sounds gigantic each time I see it. Things only get better from here and I can't wait to see it all... again

Akame Ga Kill: Mine and Tatsumi are the worst two characters in AgK, the episode focuses 90% on the two of them, and Sentai's dub cast the two worst actors to play them. Of all the imperial arms in the series Mine's is the worst due to it's "get more powerful the more danger I'm in" shenanigans which is a really great power to give a sniper weapon <____< .

Michiko and Hatchin: Good episode, though I feel Hatchin works best when she has Michiko to play off of and while Hatchin can hold an episode solo far better then Michiko I hope the two are reunited soon. I was expecting at one point Hatchin to see a bit of Michiko in her new friend in the way she made up lies on the spot to get out of jams in particular when she conned the guy for a free meal. The episode went in a different direction focusing on the idea of being a kid vs being an adult and wanting to be an adult which it did fairly well.

SAO II: I know I'm beating a dead drum here, but seeing your guys guesses as to what's going to happen in this arc truly cements my opinion that the biggest flaw with this arc is that it's stuck in the world of SAO. The only benefit of being in the SAO universe is the scene with the mom where she talks about how Asuna lost nearly two years of her life to that game and all she wants to do is keep going into it but that scene in a stand alone story could still have the same impact without the trapped in a death game back story. Yuuki is a fantastic character and her interactions with Asuna are the highlight of this arc.... that and the fact Kirito is barely in it and used more in the role he should have (ultimate bad ass who only shows up when things really get bad then leaves) certainly doesn't hurt. You're never going to convince the audience that any challenge presented to Kirito is genuine at this point so keeping him relegated to "get characters out of an impossible jam" works far better then making him the main character. His character is still horribly flawed by nature though that sadly can't be fixed and again in a more stand alone story the idea behind Kirito's character would be far more accepted instead of the instant hate wave this thread had.

Shippuden: I said enough last night about why Asuma's death doesn't have the impact it should or the impact the show expects the audience to have. After that it's hard to know what else I can say about this weeks Shippuden other then the fight was fairly enjoyable despite the fact it was two d-tier characters facing off against the main arc villain. They're not even effective as jobbers as we really have no context to how strong they could potentially be.

One Piece: Mostly a set up episode but still a very enjoyable one, Zoro getting lost while running was hilarious and while not much happened in this episode it still flew by so I can't really complain.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Everything works in AGK. The early 2000 dub, the fantasy anime pot luck of tropes, the supposed edge, the mad tonal shifts. I find the show highly entertaining.

Raxus

I will defend a lot of things about AgK but there is no excusing Tatsumi and Mine's VA's.

Really just terrible in the worst ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom