• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Was the Tenchi Muyo OVA really just 13 episodes or were there more? I always hated the fact that Toonami would air them, only for it to suddenly move to Universe and Tenchi In Tokyo. I felt like I was left on a cliffhanger with no resolution.

Universe was such shit. Long live Ryoko.

I seem to remember that Ryoko never won in the any of the series/movies. I could be wrong, but I feel like that's correct.

That's bullshit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Top Five Shows TOONAMI should air if they weren't action only.

5. Oran High School Host Club
4. School Rumble
3. Planetes
2. Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
1. Azumanga Daioh

3. Planetes

We'll never make it through the endless eight.

We won't.

We might have to eat somebody just to survive four episodes of it.

Also, you know Planetes exists.

Well done.

That anime was pretty awesome.

4. School Rumble
3. Planetes
1. Azumanga Daioh

I never saw the anime but I read the manga and it's fantastic, it's by the same person who's writing and drawing Vinland Saga.

Azumanga Daioh is better then anything that is currently on the block

If the Planetes anime is half as good as the manga than its also so much better than the current line-up. See, SAO that is how you portray PTSD in a story. Hard Sci-Fi about space garbage collectors revolving around character studies, themes of existentialism, going against a morally unjust authority and the relationship between Man and Space. Also a pretty damn good romance to boot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All five shows on my list are wildly different, with the only thing they have in common besides the lack of action is that they have excellent dubs.

Two of them, Haruhi and Azumanga, are well known and well regarded in the US.
School Rumble is this sweet and funny parody of your typical light romantic comedy. I absolutely fell in love with this show when it first released.
Planetes is just fucking great.
Oran High is just a guilty pleasure and I love the dub.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still believe Endless Eight could've actually worked if they didn't make it last 8 freakin' episodes (granted, it's in the damn title, but still). I love the concept & it could've worked if they made it, say, 3 episodes.

Episode 1: Everything is as normal
Episode 2: Deja Vu is experienced in both the viewer & slowly in the main character, to which they then realize the loop. Tries to break it but fails.
Episode 3: Deja Vu once again, but the main character notices it quicker, tries harder to break the loop & succeeds.

I mean, I did like the small touches within each episode to show that the loop wasn't always the same (clothing choices, what events they focused on, etc.), but damn, when 8 episodes out of 13 of the season are almost the exact same, it takes quite the toll.

Still don't know if I should bother with that new Suzumiya anime that focuses on Nagato actually having emotions.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think it's brilliant. It would only work on a marathon day.

Conversely you could also just run the first season. If you had real (Sacred) Stones you could also air it in the original TV order.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
rule of three always best

but they needed to clear the timeline for disappearance

They only really needed two of those episodes for setting up disappearance though. They could have done a one night special deal instead of making another season.

Don't get me wrong though, I fucking love season 2.

Crocodile

Azumanga Daioh is one of the most overrated anime I've ever watched. I think the most I ever got out of it was a mild chuckle. I blind bought that shit and it was a mistake.

I remember something about Planetes pissing me off to the point that I dropped the show but I don't remember exactly what it was. I think I found one or more characters unbearably annoying.

I've never seen School Rumble so I have no opinion

I think I saw a few episodes of the first season of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya but given that I remember like nothing about it, it clearly didn't leave an impression on me.

Ouran Host Club ......... is actually a good show that I would probably be fine rewatching.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Azumanga Daioh is one of the most overrated anime I've ever watched. I think the most I ever got out of it was a mild chuckle. I blind bought that shit and it was a mistake.

I remember something about Planetes pissing me off to the point that I dropped the show but I don't remember exactly what it was. I think I found one or more characters unbearably annoying.

I've never seen School Rumble so I have no opinion

I think I saw a few episodes of the first season of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya but given that I remember like nothing about it, it clearly didn't leave an impression on me.

Ouran Host Club ......... is actually a good show that I would probably be fine rewatching.

School Rumble I believe is on Hulu right now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think it's brilliant. It would only work on a marathon day
On the one hand, yes, the idea of what's basically Groundhog Day: The Anime is great. It's a great sense of deja vu because you watch the 2nd episode & think to yourself "......wait, wasn't this suppose to be a new episode? It looks like last week's episode.....no, wait, I don't remember that part....OH CRAP THEY'RE IN A TIME LOOP?!?"

......but if there's 6 episodes that're almost basically the same, why should I bother with watching, let alone BUYING the remaining 5 episodes if there's little difference in the overall content save for very small details which have no impact on the characters or the plot itself?

I guess if the point was to troll the audience in that "noooopppeee, not this week! They're still stuck in the loop!" over & over, well I guess they succeeded.

Again, I love the idea because it's very unique, it's just that it felt dragged out, considering during its original airing, you had to wait TWO MONTHS for them to actually get out of the loop.......or maybe that was the point, to feel the same as the characters, constantly in the same loop experiencing the same events over & over & over.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The point was to drive you nuts. They could have gone super lazy and just shown the same thing 8 times, but no, they went the distance and reanimated/voiced a ton of it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The point was to drive you nuts. They could have gone super lazy and just shown the same thing 8 times, but no, they went the distance and reanimated/voiced a ton of it.
Oh I agree, points for them for dedication & changing some stuff up so no two episodes were the exact same.

It's been a while since I last saw it & I think I was just a bit miffed at the time because for a great concept, it felt like it took too long when you had to constantly wait for the next episode to air, only to find out it wasn't the end, but again, I guess that was the point & I didn't realize that when I was a teen.

I don't remember much about the rest of S2, though the episode(s?) about the making of that movie from S1 was kind of neat.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We'll never make it through the endless eight.

We won't.

We make have to eat somebody just to survive four episodes of it.

Also, you know Planetes exists.

Well done.

That anime was pretty awesome.

Endless Eight was the greatest troll of all fucking time. It was fucking spectacular. Everyone thought it would be two episodes long, then three, then four, then we all realized what was happening but refused to believe it. It was fucking magical.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It even trolls people who read the original. Above and beyond the duty of trolling.

It did absolutely kill the chance of a third season though, so they also trolled themselves!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It even trolls people who read the original. Above and beyond the duty of trolling.

It did absolutely kill the chance of a third season though, so they also trolled themselves!

We still got the Disappearance movie after the troll, so there's still the possibility.

LOLDSFAN

eAO70Ce.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The second season was only made to sell disappearance as they needed to air a specific event or else the whole movie makes no sense.

I have to believe in more Haruhi otherwise I have to admit we're never getting more Spice and Wolf and that would make me too sad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I probably should watch this Nagato show. Haven't heard of it being like E7:AO which I still refuse to watch so it doesn't completely ruin my fond memories of E7.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Endless Eight was the greatest troll of all fucking time. It was fucking spectacular. Everyone thought it would be two episodes long, then three, then four, then we all realized what was happening but refused to believe it. It was fucking magical.
& then everyone realized why it was called Endless EIGHT.

I will also say Haruhi-Chan was rather funny at times & I got a huge laugh out of the "Christmas" episode of Nyoro-n Churuya-san. That "rendition" of Jingle Bells.

I probably should watch this Nagato show. Haven't heard of it being like E7:AO which I still refuse to watch so it doesn't completely ruin my fond memories of E7.

I only watched a few episode, to check out the dub since Funi brought the original cast back, but that show seems harmless.

The fans ripped it apart, but if you want just to see some characters again, some changed, with a little shipping thrown in, it's fine.

Regiruler

4. School Rumble
3. Planetes
1. Azumanga Daioh

I hated every one of these that I've watched (haruhi and oran).

God, my high school anime club had an oran obsession.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I hated every one of these that I've watched (haruhi and oran).

God, my high school anime club had an oran obsession.
My college Japanese Culture Club did as well, but those who did were female....which kind of makes sense considering the manga was considered shoujo, i.e. meant for females. I find it tolerable (it does have its moments), but I couldn't stand reading the manga because of its artwork, which is just sooooooooo shoujo-esque.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My college Japanese Culture Club did as well, but those who did were female....which kind of makes sense considering the manga was considered shoujo, i.e. meant for females. I find it tolerable (it does have its moments), but I couldn't stand reading the manga because of its artwork, which is just sooooooooo shoujo-esque.

The anime tones down the shoujo ala Sailor Moon anime versus manga. I find the manga kinda hard to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom