• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be an unpopular opinion but I think SAO is funnier than KLK; the humor falls flat most of the time for me. Mako is your stereotypical hyperactive idiot and the interactions between Ryuuko and pervy sensei/senketsu rarely made me laugh. Best character in the show was that dude from the gold mecha crab bump, he was incredible.

I don't get why KLK gets a pass for being mind numbingly stupid but SAO is raked under the coals. Is it because the latter tends to take itself more seriously?

Yes, even during its serious or expositions scenes there's still a sense that the tongue is drilled far into the cheek

SAO has boring exposition, multiple fetish rape scenes to help make kirito look awesome, and sexualized underage girls

Its no comparison

I don't get why KLK gets a pass for being mind numbingly stupid but SAO is raked under the coals. Is it because the latter tends to take itself more seriously? Maybe, but KLK has these weird moments where it will go into super serious mode even though the majority of the show is meant to be humorous. I think both shows are dumb and fall in the below average tier tbh.

discuss.

It's all in the execution. KLK never really took itself seriously (which is where I can get where people come from when they feel the show is asking you to take things seriously), whereas SAO has tried to pass off its story as super-serious, and it's not good.

It's kinda like the new Mission: Impossible and Mission: Impossible 2. There are both popcorn flicks, but the former just kinda nods and winks and understands what it is, whereas M:I 2 is a bit too full of itself (Woo almost goes self-parody at times).

If you don't think KLK's technique works, then I don't think you're going to like the show. I liked the characters, didn't take anything too seriously (even the alleged serious parts) and just went along for the ride.

Takashi

reminds me of an effeminate danny avidan

SAO is funny for all the wrong reasons, it's not even a comedy at heart unlike KLK

Crocodile

I don't get why KLK gets a pass for being mind numbingly stupid but SAO is raked under the coals. Is it because the latter tends to take itself more seriously? Maybe, but KLK has these weird moments where it will go into super serious mode even though the majority of the show is meant to be humorous. I think both shows are dumb and fall in the below average tier tbh.

discuss.

Well that kind of matters a whole lot LOL.When you try to be taken seriously, things like the plot making no sense or characters doing things that make no sense hurt the show more. Also SAO has no interesting/endearing characters (Kirito is a self insert Gary Stu and everybody else sucks), is often boring as fuck (KLK is pretty much never boring even at its worst), is actually more rapey that KLK, makes no sense even as a series of video games, etc. Like it seems so obvious to me why SAO get more hate around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom