• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are pretty much the only good things about those two shows, though. Do you mean emotional weight is also important alongside animation and direction? Because I would agree.

Partly but also a lack of style to the fight direction, like the directors for both shows were being super unimaginative with their shots and camera angles. In the case of UBW there's this charge-clash-break-slowmo-charge-clash-break rhythm that's very repetitive. All I could say for the fight scenes were 'that looks cool'. There was never a sense of weight to what was going on or a sense of style, the direction was generic. It also doesn't help that the music for both shows barely lent any atmosphere to the fights, the music just kinda faded to the background. I dunno, the fights were well animated but that's kinda all they were? They didn't look particularly interesting or were very hype they just looked cool and that was it, I felt there was always something lacking.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece - This was good but I'll admit I was a little drowsy and missed some of it. It was certainly not as epic as last week but that would have been a miracle if it was. Nice to see that the Franky Family survived and I liked how Robin used her devil fruit power to rescue Luffy. I think she has the most useful power of all the characters. The build up to the reveal of the Going Merry arriving was probably drug out a tad too long but it was still very satisfying. Having not seen "Skypia"(?) I had no idea that the ship could talk. Or is that the audience can hear what the ship was "thinking"? It's confusing because clearly Usopp could hear the ship approaching so I'm not really sure what was going on. Anyway, Sanji and Zoro were putting in good work and the music was good as well. Rating: TO THE SEA!

The way Usopp has described Merry's "talking" in the past is basically as a sort of voice in your head. It can probably only be heard or not heard by the people that he wants to be heard by, i.e. the Straw Hats hearing his voice when the Marines could not.

(Oh yeah, Going Merry is almost always referred to in the masculine, and the ship uses "boku" when referring to itself, which is generally considered to be a male or boyish pronoun.)

ckohler

Well, those, and the time she grabbed her boobs, and the holy bazongers moment and the time Mako said that Ryuko had a better and bigger set of boobs then Satsuki just off the top of my head. Also, nothing is explaining away the kissing either. Also, conversations like the this one as what have made me really hate ambiguity in shipping.

Fair enough. I won't press the issue and I'll agree that it's still ambigious. Get it? Har har.

Regiruler

One last thing I would like to clarify is Mako's request for a "date". In Japan, it's common for girls to go on a "deito", which is basically just an outing with friends to go clothes shopping, eat ice cream, etc. I think a lot of U.S. viewers (including myself) mistook Mako's request as a romantic one which isn't surprising because it was said during a Mako spotlight moment. The shots of them kissing were just Mako performing her usual visual puns. The pun for "deito" would be a romantic date where two people would kiss. Mako takes a word she's currently saying and does a pantomime of it that means something else. That's the joke. So no, it wasn't a request for romance. This explains why Satsuki also tags along and why we also see the Elite Four trying to help Gamagori build up the courage to give Mako some flowers.

This is what I going with too. It was quite obviously a "girls' day out".

It's a difficult read regardless because the love dynamics aren't written out as cleanly as they are such as in Gurren Lagann.

I will kill anyone who denies Gamgagori x Mako

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Welp, Jojo Part 3, Season 1 is now available on Amazon. No idea if it keeps some of the "test" dub voices, but I fear for its quality after hearing the..........mixed reception that is Part 1 & 2's dub.

Actually, if the first half of Part 3 is now available digitally, I wonder if this means we'll hear of a DVD/Blu-Ray release as well.

Moaradin

Welp, Jojo Part 3, Season 1 is now available on Amazon. No idea if it keeps some of the "test" dub voices, but I fear for its quality after hearing the..........mixed reception that is Part 1 & 2's dub.

Actually, if the first half of Part 3 is now available digitally, I wonder if this means we'll hear of a DVD/Blu-Ray release as well.

Wait, they already dubbed part 3? I thought Season 1 just recently came out lol

And the voices for Part 1 and 2 seem fine. Gave it a quick listen earlier.

Moaradin

001_microsoftedge_useiwz7d.jpg

It has English voice credits on it. Someone should buy an episode to confirm :p

ckohler

The way Usopp has described Merry's "talking" in the past is basically as a sort of voice in your head. It can probably only be heard or not heard by the people that he wants to be heard by, i.e. the Straw Hats hearing his voice when the Marines could not.

(Oh yeah, Going Merry is almost always referred to in the masculine, and the ship uses "boku" when referring to itself, which is generally considered to be a male or boyish pronoun.)

Why does it have a voice? Did something happen to give it life?

Bacon Pancakes, Makin' Bacon Pancakes

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Why does it have a voice? Did something happen to give it life?

Franky explained it a while back while he was chilling with Usopp. He said it was a Klabautermann, basically a spirit or manifestation of the ship's soul that appears extremely rarely when a ship is especially loved by its crew.

Usopp actually saw the Klabautermann repairing the ship (and heard it speak to him) back in Skypiea but didn't know what it was until that conversation.

Basically, Merry's a true bro.

Also, in the real world (as in non-One Piece) version of the mythology, the Klabautermann only ever appears to the crew of a doomed ship.

Crocodile

Don't know who drew this but.....:3

tumblr_nsbqa50lIe1rkh25ro1_540.jpg

Nuuuuddddiiissttt Braaaaazzil

Look in the top left corner of the picture LOL. Anyway, artist's name is Caleb Thomas.

Partly but also a lack of style to the fight direction, like the directors for both shows were being super unimaginative with their shots and camera angles. In the case of UBW there's this charge-clash-break-slowmo-charge-clash-break rhythm that's very repetitive. All I could say for the fight scenes were 'that looks cool'. There was never a sense of weight to what was going on or a sense of style, the direction was generic. It also doesn't help that the music for both shows barely lent any atmosphere to the fights, the music just kinda faded to the background. I dunno, the fights were well animated but that's kinda all they were? They didn't look particularly interesting or were very hype they just looked cool and that was it, I felt there was always something lacking.

The word you are looking for is choreography. Just as dances need to be choreographed, so to do fights.

BBboy20

ARE THEY SERIOUSLY USING "POWER" TO PROMOTE FANTASTIC 4?!?
Yeah. =/

Why is Power being used for a Fantastic 4 ad. Seems odd, I still basically associate the song in ads with the forza ad.

KLK ENDING HYPE
It's associated to some things...just...I think the only reason it's being used is because of Michael B. Jordon. =/

First time watching One Piece? This isn't even close to the most crazy shit people survived from in this series.

I mean, someone actually survived a point blank nuke.
Wait, there ARE nukes in One Piece!?

The moment that left me legit shook
I can understand why Oda has the most success manga in the world.

Yeah, KLK's dub ended up being something. Really doubted the English cast pulling it off but they somehow did it.

Also, I just imagined a Game Informer cover of a simple black background of Satsuki facing front, looking mean with new blades but still having her casual look, Rakyo facing left with her red strand being the identifier with her metal case slung to her back, and Mako facing right, upper head concealed by her Fight Club hat, with a golden spiked baseball bat at hand.

Inside magazine reveals that it is a KLK sequel, in video game form, made by Platinum.

I sometimes wish I didn't want to make video games.

Look in the top left corner of the picture LOL. Anyway, artist's name is Caleb Thomas.

The word you are looking for is choreography. Just as dances need to be choreographed, so to do fights.

I guess but it's also small things like how Yuki Kajiura's music just doesn't offer anything to the fight scene. I dunno, Ippo's fights with Sendo in the 2003 Ippo adaptation pumps me up every time I watch them despite the still frames and outdated looking animation whereas UBW and SAO has me going 'that's cool I guess.'

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Apparently the lineup change over was going to be

12:00 Hunter X Hunter
12:30 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
01:00 Dragonball Super
01:30 Gundam Build Fighters

Caught up on the first 3 shows from last night. A few quick thoughts on each:

DBZ Kai - Nothing really stood out for me. Quick thought on the RoF sneak peak: animation was a bit spotty and Vegeta's voice doesn't match his body. They've made him so small the last two movies that his voice feels out of place.

Kill la Kill - Found the finale subbed version more enjoyable than the dubbed version. Dialogue seemed all over the place. It felt like half the dialogue was identical to the original and half they went and did their own thing and it just felt weird. Also Ragyo whenever she wasn't calm and collected didn't sound great.

M&H - Was disappointed at how predictable that episode was. Also Michiko gets her ass kicked by an old woman and then she can catch a sword between her hands? Starting to lose a little interest in this show.

Have SAO2 and One Piece recorded that I'll watch when I'm not on 4 hours of sleep.

Soulflarz

Banned
Watching Akira for my first time, really enjoying it!

Wait
Someone said "losing all sense of shame and honor"
The Japanese culture expert strikes again :V

Soulflarz

Banned
The only thing amazing about Akira is the art and animation.

Read the manga for something truly amazing.

Okay, I have to sort of agree I could see where this plot was going, but I can't tell if that's a result of it being old and the story being retold in other things or something. Overall I'm really enjoying it! I'll come back to reply to anything in ~30 when I finish!

Soulflarz

Banned
Generally liked it!

Ending was a bit...weird >_>

OST was good too.
Also the scene in the hospital with the car and teddy bear and such trying to kill him was creepy to me at first, I'll admit it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 128

Ah yes, at last we arrive to the infamous fourth season, the Super S season or for the manga the arc that was entitled Dreams because that was an accurate title. Anyway, so we are at what many consider to be the worst of Sailor Moon as the series decided to take a bit of a regression from the dark and complex moral ambiguity seen in Infinity/S and taking the time to explore the dreams of a little girl and her white knight of a Pegasus. It has been a very long time since I have watched this arc though I recall thinking that the Dreams arc was indeed pretty acrid for a good chuck of time and I do remember there being problems with this season but more on that in the weeks ahead.

Indeed the theme of dreams is apparent immediately as we are introduced to said Pegasus who was clearly pegged to be he breakout character for this season considering how much prominence he is getting. Speaking of prominence, the profile of ChibiUsa has been raised to that of co-main star once again and this time she is being treated much more seriously in her role as Sailor Chibi Moon and indeed as much as I enjoyed the joke she was in S, this is ultimately the right choice because the joke felt so very out of place when shit got real.

Oh yes, the Outer Guardians are still gone and they will make no appearances in the season of Super S, they probably would have had things worked out better but more on that later. On the other hand a couple of the non powered human friends have ben dragged out of mothballs since this is the start of a season and a personal connection is needed to establish the menace of the season and this time around we get, The Circus. The Dead Moon Circus to be exact, whom are a lot creepier then I remember and we are introduced to Ziroconia and her footmen, The Eyes, who were so minor in the manga I barely remember them. The mission this time around is the hunt of the Pegasus who exists in the dream of somebody. The usual happens and since this is a new season everybody has to be useless until the new hotness is prepared. In this case the upgrade is the return of the Super Sailor Moon and the debut of the Sailor Chibi Moon form and a new weapon and a new finishing move that had yet to be named and was kind of lame honestly. Anyway, all and all this was an decent if typical start of the season, recommendation to watch.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 129:

Good god, all of a sudden this series or this season is pulling out some really obscure characters who we have not season in a few seasons and if I recall correctly, Rekia is an anime only character to boot. I'll be honest, seeing Sailor Moon pull out this much continuity is kind of freaking me out. They remember she went to Africa to do some research and she now much choose to go to Europe for 10 years to continue said research or stay around and be the girlfriend of Motoki the Crown Arcade tender. I suppose this is better then just pulling a new random friend out of their ass but I give about the same amount of fucks about this, none at all. Anyway, The Eyes are the highlight of the early going by a mile and are trade up from any of the Death Buster point guards. Also, we get the first transformation of the season and it is Chibi Moon, who is still useless outside of Super mode. Anyway, it is back to formula for awhile, mildest recommendation to watch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The ratings from last week were below abysmal, so I'm not surprised.

Requeiscate de pache, Chiller. At least you tried.
What WERE the ratings for it last week? I remember 2 weeks ago, the top show, DMC, had like 12k while other shows were 10k to freakin 6k.

Still, to cancel it after THREE weeks.....man.....

Raxus

What WERE the ratings for it last week? I remember 2 weeks ago, the top show, DMC, had like 12k while other shows were 10k to freakin 6k.

Still, to cancel it after THREE weeks.....man.....

Like 3000 people watched. It was really bad.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Chiller block died? Damn, that was fast.

Good thing all four shows are on DVD and (possibly) Funimation's site. For all 4 people that care.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
CLbqBCNUkAEAAg5.png

Holy crap, was that last week's?! Though this seems like the ratings from 2 weeks ago....

Edit: Site's down, but according to the cache, THESE were last week's ratings:

CLbqAjbUEAAH-s1.png

So...............I'm confused.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Would be amazing if S2 was reshown after AoT finishes reairing........but I doubt it'll happen....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Cowboy Bebop HD.

...or rather, I doubt S2 of Space Dandy will reair AFTER AoT. Might happen eventually, but considering they didn't finish Cowboy Bebop in HD, they might go with that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom