• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it far more of an ass pull that after taking a 3rd of Lucci's ultimate move Luffy could then still stand, use a jet gatling which Lucci had already taken fairly well before but this time it dominates him because nakama power.

He never used a move similar to "Jet Gatling" before that moment.

Sanji's make a certain amount of sense, but Zorro's comes from nowhere and
just disappears never to be seen again

Oda just swept it under the rug and thought we would forget about it.

Line_HTX

I dunno I don't remember much about that show outside of creepy vampire twins and rock x revy cigarette kissing

wtf is that, some kind of weird asian soup?

I lol'd. It's uhh... something where you stare at it and kind of laugh, although I've heard people say that when they watched it they laughed their asses off, it has not aged well over the years. Don't know what that means though, but me personally I think there are better comedies than that shit.

One of the characters has a Texan accent and I was like whut...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of the characters has a Texan accent and I was like whut...
I don't know how often they do it now, but from what I understand, when a charater has an Osaka accent, a dub will give them a Texan accent because it's the "closest" sounding if it were to be spoken in English or something.

Actually, hey, you know, K-On didn't really have plot holes or random power ups now that I think about it....

inb4 "dat ain't shonen anime"

LOLDSFAN

wtf is that, some kind of weird asian soup?

di3CsDo.gif

Actually, hey, you know, K-On didn't really have plot holes or random power ups now that I think about it....

LEFJwwW.gif

Line_HTX

I don't know how often they do it now, but from what I understand, when a charater has an Osaka accent, a dub will give them a Texan accent because it's the "closest" sounding if it were to be spoken in English or something.

Good thing KLK made an exception and went with inner urban streetz with dat Takarada.

He never used a move similar to "Jet Gatling" before that moment.

Oda just swept it under the rug and thought we would forget about it.

He uses the gatling attack earlier in the same episode, it may not be that version but its still essentially gatling gun in gear 2nd

Also this weeks pre flight basically spoils the first episode of akame ga kill. Some may argue its obvious what happens but for those who try to avoid all spoilers just a heads up.

Tenumi

Banned
One of the local theaters has it for 4 days. Was thinking about going... but... well, gonna wait for the blu-ray.

Hurray Agoraphobia....

He uses the gatling attack earlier in the same episode, it may not be that version but its still essentially gatling gun in gear 2nd

It's similar but it wasn't as fast as Jet Gatling. Luffy put everything he had into that final attack, in a last ditch effort.

At DBZ Resurrection F. Theater is packed.

I'm trying to make time to see Resurrection F. I'm positive my theater is showing it.

Line_HTX

Start singing Dragon Soul.

Should clear the place right out.

I wonder if more people in a theater room would like that rendition than not...

It's basically a classic DBZ movie for better or worse.

Yeah, most if not all DBZ movies aren't that spectacular to begin with. Battle of Gods at least stood out among the MEDIOCRE. I don't know if I want to go to a theater just to see Frieza again and SSJSSJ blue hair and shit. Besides, I'm sure every place will probably sell out to a full house.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I find it far more of an ass pull that after taking a 3rd of Lucci's ultimate move Luffy could then still stand, use a jet gatling which Lucci had already taken fairly well before but this time it dominates him because nakama power.

Lucci falling to Jet Gatling isn't an asspull, he was already weakened and hadn't encountered the move yet. But Luffy getting up through the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP sorta is. Luffy logically lost before Usopp motivated him to stand back up. But between the power levels and the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, Enies Lobby is very much One Piece's author's attempt at the most Shonen-esque Shonen arc possible. He hits all the tropes this arc, especially those started by Dragonball.

I can't think of another example of Luffy winning via Friendship in the series though. Well... there's a recovery from the power of friendship, but not a victory. I kinda view Enies Lobby as the author getting all the classic tropes out of his way before he goes crazy with his world building after this arc.

Lucci falling to Jet Gatling isn't an asspull, he was already weakened and hadn't encountered the move yet. But Luffy getting up through the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP sorta is. Luffy logically lost before Usopp motivated him to stand back up. But between the power levels and the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, Enies Lobby is very much One Piece's author's attempt at the most Shonen-esque Shonen arc possible. He hits all the tropes this arc, especially those started by Dragonball.

I can't think of another example of Luffy winning via Friendship in the series though. Well... there's a recovery from the power of friendship, but not a victory. I kinda view Enies Lobby as the author getting all the classic tropes out of his way before he goes crazy with his world building after this arc.

I honestly have no real problem with it, I'm just pointing it out that its something people should complain about more then the merry/kablatterman thing

so abunch of people said that battle of gods felt more like classic dragonball then dbz, but i have to say ressurection f was pure old school dbz. goku going ssjgssj, frieza and his "not even my final form" powerup, the whole fight sequence, it was like 6 year old me's dream movie. only gripes
1. leaving characters out. you telling me that krillin, tien, and roshi can hold their own agaisnt friezas army but
goten and trunks
cant because its not safe?
though this did lead to one of my favorite jokes
at yamchas expense lol
MAJOR ass pull ending
even though it was set up earlier. The part where
frieza is torturing wounded goku was almost a recreation of what frieza did to vegeta before goku turned ssj and beat him. to me, the movie would have been ended perfectly if vegeta showed up, turned ssjgssj and beat frieza so bad he tried begging vegeta to spare him, only to get obliverated mirroring what transpired originally, with a little vegeta twist to the end

Yeah, got home from seeing Resurrection F.

Good, for the most part! (ending, ehhhhh)

I heard that all theaters are using DVR to stream the movie. hue.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Got back from Resurrection F.

Pretty good. Ending was dumb though. I know part of it was set up but come on.
The tone was more in line with Dragon Ball than DBZ. At least in terms of humor.
Scenes like Beerus and Whis providing commentary to Goku and Freeza's fight while they eat ice cream felt like oldschool Toriyama.

Of course, we're going to have see this again in Dragon Ball Super. That's the plan right, retell Battle of Gods then retell Resurrection F, then start a new story?

Also,
are we to assume that sometime off-screen, Goku, Gohan, Goten, Trunks and Pan gave their power to Vegeta so he could achieve Super Saiyan God, which gave him a powerful base form and allow him to go SSGSS too?
Oh yeah, they don't actually say "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" in the movie.

Enies Lobby is basically "what if Oda wrote a Bleach arc".

Order

Got back from Resurrection F.
Also,
are we to assume that sometime off-screen, Goku, Gohan, Goten, Trunks and Pan gave their power to Vegeta so he could achieve Super Saiyan God, which gave him a powerful base form and allow him to go SSGSS too?
Oh yeah, they don't actually say "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" in the movie.
I'm hoping Super actually shows this happening. Such a weird thing to skip over.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, it's not like the musical that we joked about, but Prison School is getting a LIVE-ACTION DRAMA. With the script being written by the director of RoboGeisha.

bigkrev

>Mighty no. 9 delayed to 2016

tumblr_inline_mpcog5xhR61qi9qbw.gif

Ina-fucking-fune.

Everybody and their grandmother is coming out in 2016.

I mean, it's completely understandable. It really seems like they were all hands on deck effort wise with their Red Ash kickstarter- you could really see the effort they put into running a strong campaign.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Also this weeks pre flight basically spoils the first episode of akame ga kill. Some may argue its obvious what happens but for those who try to avoid all spoilers just a heads up.

Luffy never used Jet Gatling prior to his using it to finish the fight. Those were just regular ass punches earlier on that happened to be kinda fast due to Gear 2. That attack was more or less on the level of Luffy's NORMAL Gomu Gomu no Gatling.

Jet Gatling is basically a rapid-fire version of Jet Pistol, which is fast enough that it's virtually invisible with only the mini sonic boom remaining. The difference in power between Jet Gatling and the regular punches thrown earlier would be roughly equivalent to the difference in power between Luffy's normal Gomu Gomu no Pistol and his Jet Pistol, only exponentially so due to the sheer number of impacts.

One Piece Physics: Makes no sense, yet is almost always completely internally consistent. :D

RIP

Future spoilers

That's because Lucci is the last villain that's actually as strong as Luffy till like Dressrosa, so he doesn't need the "power of friendship" trope to actually win, since he just beats them up. Everyone in between is either weaker, but has gimmicks to stretch the fight, or is just way more powerful than Luffy to the point where its not even really a fight.

Seda

What happened to Adult Swim on demand?

hmm?

For Toonami stuff, you can just go to Toonami.com, click on any show link in the schedule, and it'll take you to the page with available episodes (log in with your service provider).

The selection is somewhat irregular - something like 3-6 of recently aired episodes and sometimes a smattering of other ones available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom