• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

Good sports anime?

tumblr_mg1d4nW6zB1s2ov0no1_400.gif

Moaradin

Ippo is fucking amazing. Seriously recommend it to anyone. Even if you aren't big into Boxing.

Watch the anime version of it. Madhouse kills it.

Crocodile

It'd be hard to market Ping Pong to Toonami. Especially with already dubbed anime like Psycho Pass and Fate/Zero waiting in the wings.

It's only hard to market because there aren't people running around with super powers in the show and because of Yuasa's style which people will call trash or unfinished because they don't know better :/

Seda

Still no ratings?

From cable top 100

BLACK DYNAMITE ADSM 10:30 PM 889 0.4
Family Guy ADSM 11:00 PM 1337 0.6
ATTACK ON TITAN ADSM 11:30 PM 948 0.4
DRAGON BALL Z KAI ADSM 12:00 AM 927 0.4

And that's it, too lazy to format

Also from the weekly notes.

Across November 2014, Adult Swim ranked as basic cable's #1 network in total day among adults 18-24, adults 18-34 and men 18-24.

Inuyasha: The Final Act (Saturdays, 2a) was #1 in its time period among adults 18-24 & men 18-24, with premieres up among adults 18-49 and men 18-24 vs. year ago.

It's only hard to market because there aren't people running around with super powers in the show and because of Yuasa's style which people will call trash or unfinished because they don't know better :/

I call it like I see it and I've seen more then enough to say it looks bad. Calling it a style and that "you don't get it" is not going to magically make it look different.

Seda

*does best to make sense of KH Re:Coded*

Also I won't be able to unsee this now.

get

re:coded is basically pointless in video form. Only thing of relevance to the rest of the series is the very end.

The original game had some neat ideas in terms of progression systems though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I...THINK I'm near the end because I got confused & thought it was a prequel to Chain of Memories.

I stopped after KH2, so I'm in the camp of "no idea what the hell is going on".

.....I also need to finish 1.5 HD....

Re: Coded was a really fun game to play despite the fact it's story was completely pointless. Arguably my favorite Kingdom Hearts battle system which kept me playing far longer then I otherwise would have.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Most of the cutscenes felt like "PREVIOUSLY, IN KINGDOM HEARTS 1.....", though I got a laugh out of some moments like "You got your weapon back because YOU BEELLIIEEEVVEEEEDD!!!".

I just can't wait to spend more time on 2.5 since I only rented the original version & I had to speed through it to finish it before returning it, & I beat it at midnight the day of returning it, but I didn't get to do most of the side-stuff.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
As the others have said, Re:coded contributes very little to the story outside of the ending.

KH's story chronology is this
Birth by Sleep
KH1
Chain of Memories
358/2 Days runs concurrently with KH1 and CoM. Then keeps going after CoM's ending, leading into...
KH2
Coded
Dream Drop Distance
Kingdom Hearts III

It's best to play the series in release order rather than chronology.

Soulflarz

Banned
As the others have said, Re:coded contributes very little to the story outside of the ending.

Birth by Sleep
KH1
Chain of Memories
358/2 Days runs concurrently with KH1 and CoM. Then keeps going after CoM's ending, leading into...
KH2
Coded
Dream Drop Distance
Kingdom Hearts III

And it should be noted never play 1 if you play 2 first
you can...its just hell to go backwards so far in gameplay

Birth by Sleep
KH1
Chain of Memories
KH2
Coded
Dream Drop Distance
Kingdom Hearts III

Basically play the games

KH1
KH RE:COM or COM
KH2
KH BbS
KH 358/2
KH RE:Coded
KH DDD

I know this switched BbS and 358 as 358 came out first, but 358 has some odd foreshadowing for both past and future events and I think first time players will get more out of both BbS and 358 if they play BbS first.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Days is a garbage game to play but is surprisingly one of the more interesting bits of the story.

2 is way too easy in its base form. Going to buy 2.5 one of these days to finally experience all of final mix (I got most of the way through it on my hacked ps2 before it gave out)

Crocodile

I call it like I see it and I've seen more then enough to say it looks bad. Calling it a style and that "you don't get it" is not going to magically make it look different.

Everyone is allowed to like and dislike different things for different reasons but calling Yuasa's work "unfinished" or "chicken scratch" or whatever is rude and legit sounds like trolling. Whatever Togashi barfs up on the page for the first run Hunter x Hunter chapters - THAT is "unfished", not Yuasa's work.

Everyone is allowed to like and dislike different things for different reasons but calling Yuasa's work "unfinished" or "chicken scratch" or whatever is rude and legit sounds like trolling. Whatever Togashi barfs up on the page for the first run Hunter x Hunter chapters - THAT is "unfished", not Yuasa's work.

They both look equally terrible to me, at least Togashi acknowledges his garbage is half finished nonsense and makes an effort to fix it down the line. Ping Pong looks unfinished, everything has a very rough "style" to it that I normally seen when I'm watching the bonus features on anime dvds showing the work in progress footage. Like FFS how hard is it to draw a straight line?

zuTUKEU.png

Why does every single ping pong table in this anime called Ping Pong look like the artist drew it once free hand and made no effort to fix it? Could they not afford a ruler or something? This just looks lazy and unfinished, and don't give me that "it looks good in motion" as those tables just sit there during that scene while the other guy talks with his back to the audience not really moving either. If that's the style then I want no part of it as it looks terrible

Edit: Even Toei with World Trigger managed to draw straight lines and that show has no budget and almost no animation

World-Trigger-anime-pv-001.jpg

Jarate

Banned
They both look equally terrible to me, at least Togashi acknowledges his garbage is half finished nonsense and makes an effort to fix it down the line. Ping Pong looks unfinished, everything has a very rough "style" to it that I normally seen when I'm watching the bonus features on anime dvds showing the work in progress footage. Like FFS how hard is it to draw a straight line?

zuTUKEU.png

Why does every single ping pong table in this anime called Ping Pong look like the artist drew it once free hand and made no effort to fix it? Could they not afford a ruler or something? This just looks lazy and unfinished, and don't give me that "it looks good in motion" as those tables just sit there during that scene while the other guy talks with his back to the audience not really moving either. If that's the style then I want no part of it as it looks terrible

Edit: Even Toei with World Trigger managed to draw straight lines and that show has no budget and almost no animation

It's part of the visual style man. It's supposed to look wavy and shit. This stuff allows for more focus on animation and it also gives the world a "sketchy" point of view. It gives the show a shit ton of personality and seperatres it from the rest of the animations out there. There's a level where it's supposed to look like that that you have to accept.

and it aint even a budget choice, the guy is obviously good enough to draw straightlines, he chooses not to to allow his personal style to shine better broski. Dude can animate really well.

Bass, it's just a stylistic choice; it's unfair to scoff at anything that doesn't look like "traditional" anime and call it unfinished garbage. The artist intentionally made it look that way to achieve a certain visual effect, not because they are lazy or half-assing their job.

It's part of the visual style man. It's supposed to look wavy and shit. This stuff allows for more focus on animation and it also gives the world a "sketchy" point of view. It gives the show a shit ton of personality and seperatres it from the rest of the animations out there. There's a level where it's supposed to look like that that you have to accept.

and it aint even a budget choice, the guy is obviously good enough to draw straightlines, he chooses not to to allow his personal style to shine better broski. Dude can animate really well.

Except it looks terrible, and even if I accept all the half finished everything as a style watching half finished sketchy things move around doesn't look impressive it looks like a fucking mess. I end up getting nauseous watching the character animation barf around on the screen. I don't normally get motion sickness but something about Ping Pong/Kick Heart/etc style just makes me stomach churn and I feel ill which is probably why I get so angry at them. Even if I wanted to watch them I can't get more then 10-15 minutes in before I feel nauseous, get angry, and have to turn it off.

Crocodile

zuTUKEU.png

Again, its fine it you don't like the style but its not "unfinished"! Ping Pong looks the way it does due to artistic choices that emphasize animation and stylization over staying on model. Its a conscious choice with both positives and negatives and makes his works stand out amongst the crowd. Have you seen the recent Carnage short from the Animator Expo shorts project? Do you remember some of the major Naruto TV battles (Episode 133 during the 1st Naruto vs. Sasuke fight or one of the episodes where Nartuo fights Pein)? All intentional choices.

As a TV animation there were a few spots in Ping Pong where they had to rush and cut a few corners (for example there was a pretty sweet cut BahiJD made that didn't make it to air) but as a whole, Yuasa and the animators he works with have consistently demonstrated they are a talented and ambitious bunch. When you say stuff like "even World Trigger could stay on model", a show that even I've seen you admit shows a lack of effort/time/resources/talent put into it, it really makes it seem like you are missing the point. That is why people feel like your comments in this regard seem troll-like. It's A-OK if you don't like Yuasa's style. If the stylistic choices mess with your eyes and make you a bit nauseous that is unfortunate but nobody will give you flack for that if you just say that. Nobody blames those who can't play FPS games because it gives them motion sickness. None of that makes Yuasa's work "unfinished garbage" though.

Again, its fine it you don't like the style but its not "unfinished"! Ping Pong looks the way it does due to artistic choices that emphasize animation and stylization over staying on model. Its a conscious choice with both positives and negatives and makes his works stand out amongst the crowd. Have you seen the recent Carnage short from the Animator Expo shorts project? Do you remember some of the major Naruto TV battles (Episode 133 during the 1st Naruto vs. Sasuke fight or one of the episodes where Nartuo fights Pein)? All intentional choices.

As a TV animation there were a few spots in Ping Pong where they had to rush and cut a few corners (for example there was a pretty sweet cut BahiJD made that didn't make it to air) but as a whole, Yuasa and the animators he works with have consistently demonstrated they are a talented and ambitious bunch. When you say stuff like "even World Trigger could stay on model", a show that even I've seen you admit shows a lack of effort/time/resources/talent put into it, it really makes it seem like you are missing the point. That is why people feel like your comments in this regard seem troll-like. It's A-OK if you don't like Yuasa's style. If the stylistic choices mess with your eyes and make you a bit nauseous that is unfortunate but nobody will give you flack for that if you just say that. Nobody blames those who can't play FPS games because it gives them motion sickness. None of that makes Yuasa's work "unfinished garbage" though.

Maybe it isn't fair to call it unfinished garbage, but when looking at still images the art does look bad and I've heard many times "it's not meant to be seen in stills but in motion" but I can't watch it in motion without feeling ill. It's similar to something like this

Some might call this beautiful art, to me it looks like someone just slapped random shit on a canvas and called it a day. Maybe it's because I'm color blind and maybe my color blindness impacts my ability to enjoy stuff like Ping Pong as well I dunno, but I can't see art, I just see a mess. I can't give credit to something I simply can't see even if others can see it. I'm not trolling when I say it looks terrible to me, I honestly can't see what other people see. Maybe it's not fair for me to judge a show visually because of all that, but if I'm asked to share my opinion I'm going to give it based upon how I see it even if no one else sees it the way I do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The main reason why I didn't care much for the game originally. Started going through 2.5 on the Critical mode.

Been playing RPGS for a long time now and have accepted into my heart that most get easier as they go along. KH 1 for example. Starts off nice and tricky on hard/proud mode whatever and eventually gets very comfortable. KH2 though...starts off easy but still vaguely challenging and then becomes a joke maybe one world after you're done with the tutorial. Win button bosses, form changes that make you practically invincible and then upgrades on top of upgrades.

KH1 was only really hard until you got the skill that let you survive with 1 HP then dying became almost a non issue. I preferred KH2 to KH1 just because of how flashy and fun the combat was and how unique/varied the bosses were even if they weren't that difficult. A lot of the KH1 bosses are really tedious to fight like Task Master, Jafar, Ursula, and Oogie Boogie.

BBboy20

6 years later and I've finally beaten Valkryria Chronicles. I'm surprised people wanted a sequel after that ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom