• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
It'd be hard to market Ping Pong to Toonami. Especially with already dubbed anime like Psycho Pass and Fate/Zero waiting in the wings.

It would be an easy show to show, cheap, good, and only 11 or so episodes if I remember well. It would work really well as a stop gap show in that 2:30 time slot

Man God

Non-Canon Member
mcw7wWb.gif

Raxus

I can't wait for that episode to air again... I will make EXTRA sure to catch that episode. Booty booty booty...COME ON!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
For some reason, sports anime don't seem to do well on Toonami. There was Prince of Tennis & Eyeshield 21 was only on Jetstream.

You'd think a football anime in the land of SUPER BOWL would at least get some attention.

Heroman

Banned
For some reason, sports anime don't seem to do well on Toonami. There was Prince of Tennis & Eyeshield 21 was only on Jetstream.

You'd think a football anime in the land of SUPER BOWL would at least get some attention.
The problem is that eye sheid 21 anime is garbage.

We didn't get ratings yesterday because of the holiday, right?

I tried to get into Eyeshield 21 back in the mid 00's but it was such a pain to find any legal content. I'd like to see Hikaru no Go on toonami but I'm not sure if that qualifies as an action cartoon or sports for that matter.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ahhh, so sports anime = insta-bad. Got it. Now sports MANGA, that's totally different.

I tried to get into Eyeshield 21 back in the mid 00's but it was such a pain to find any legal content. I'd like to see Hikaru no Go on toonami but I'm not sure if that qualifies as an action cartoon or sports for that matter.
I WANT to say Hikaru no Go was on Toonami, or maybe I'm thinking of Jetstream, because I know it was on that.

I can't remember how many volumes of the Eyeshield 21 manga I read, but my friend in high school would buy them & I'd borrow them from him.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Punching people is a sport? WOW, Shonen Jump has a lot more sports manga than I thought! Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the coolest sports manga ever!

Heroman

Banned
Punching people is a sport? WOW, Shonen Jump has a lot more sports manga than I thought! Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the coolest sports manga ever!
Well boxing is sports. And if you think about it Dragon ball is a sports anime.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Never seen it.

Hell I'd go as far to say that my second favorite sports anime is probably...IGPX! A show I kinda don't like!

Sports anime tends to be awful.

Ahhh, so sports anime = insta-bad. Got it. Now sports MANGA, that's totally different.

I WANT to say Hikaru no Go was on Toonami, or maybe I'm thinking of Jetstream, because I know it was on that.

I can't remember how many volumes of the Eyeshield 21 manga I read, but my friend in high school would buy them & I'd borrow them from him.

I think it was on the streaming service, was that jetstream? I used to read Hikaruo no Go in the US monthly Shonen Jump mag.

daveo42

Banned
Just a heads up for some Parasyte fans for today. I know some people here are fans so make sure to check out tonights episode.

...I may have peeked at the manga.

I'm resisting the urge to read the manga at this point. I'm loving how the story has been paced so far and not being spoiled by what's coming up has been good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Just a heads up for some Parasyte fans for today. I know some people here are fans so make sure to check out tonights episode.

...I may have peeked at the manga.

Is there an episode today, I thought that was not the case.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You know what Toonami movie night/month needs? DC Animated Originals.
Seriously, we've gone this long without a DC movie? What is WB doing?

BatDan

I need to watch the Suicide Squad movie. I hear it is pretty good.

Assault on Arkham or the upcoming live-action movie?

... We now live in a world where there's TWO Suicide Squad movies. Then again, I never thought we'd get a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Raxus

Assault on Arkham obviously since it is the only one I can watch now.

I really hope DC gets its act together on movies since the Man of Steel fiasco.

Jarate

Banned
Peple who dismiss Ping Pong as a sports anime are severely missing the point. Ping Pong is a character drama with Ping Pong as the backdrop, in fact, in many ways it goes against practically every norm of sports anime.

Ping Pong in itself is so much different then Prince of Tennis, Hajime No Ippo, and Eyeshield 21 because its not about the sport itself. You dont get players explaining the rules of Ping Pong, you dont get a "IM A MEDIOCRE PERSON BUT I TRAIN THE HARDEST AND HAVE FRIENDS SO I WIN" and really, there are no "Anime Super Moves" other then the stylistic ways they interpret the Ping Pong matches.

Its like dismissing Game of Thrones because you dont like fantasy. Obviously, Game of Thrones has fantasy elements, but it isnt purely a fantasy narrative like other Fantasy Novels would be. Thats what puts it over the edge

Also, Hajime No Ippo is really good if you want generic shounen sports anime, Americans got boned by getting Eyeshield 21 (which sucks) and Prince of Tennis (which also sucks) and now there's a super strong perception against sports anime because of it. Hajime No Ippo is basically Rocky while Ping Pong is more similar to Field of Dreams. Both are sports movies but they go about their stories and progression much differently.

Also, Ping Pong has a wholly unique art style and animation too it that make it worth watching for that alone. not only thay, but the audio mixing and music are all top notch. Hell, the opening is probably one of my favorite anime openings OF ALL TIME

BatDan

Assault on Arkham obviously since it is the only one I can watch now.

I really hope DC gets its act together on movies since the Man of Steel fiasco.

I do think DC is rushing into the Cinematic Universe without a solid plan. It feels like it will backfire.

Raxus

I do think DC is rushing into the Cinematic Universe without a solid plan. It feels like it will backfire.

Here's hoping things accidently work out and at least we are getting a superheroine film and a Cyborg film too. Took Marvel long enough to acknowledge their minority super heroes.

Grexeno

You know what Toonami movie night/month needs? DC Animated Originals.
Seriously, we've gone this long without a DC movie? What is WB doing?
DC probably doesn't want any of their stuff associated with the Adult Swim brand, except for Beware the Batman which they just don't give a fuck about.

bigkrev

Ahsoka got better, i think. it took a while, though.

also i'm disappointed that my Star Wars opinions didn't stir up any shit.

All of your opinions, except your one on Episode 4 which is OBJECTIVELY wrong, are fine.

I stand by mine though (Ep 1 is the best prequel and is not a bad movie)

Too bad ping pong looks like unfinished garbage regardless of how good its writing is.

Also the best sports anime is Girl Und Panzer it's a master piece of anime that should be seen by all it will literally change your life, doubly so if you watch the amazing dub

All of your opinions, except your one on Episode 4 which is OBJECTIVELY wrong, are fine.

I stand by mine though (Ep 1 is the best prequel and is not a bad movie)

outside of a couple of great exceptions, A New Hope is shot from like the same angles all the time!

Too bad ping pong looks like unfinished garbage regardless of how good its writing is.

stylistic choices, how do they work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom