• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece has recently flirted more towards making movies kinda sorta canon. Strong World is basically intended to be canon but still self-contained so that you can freely ignore it if you only read the manga or whatever. Because of this, Oda had to state outright that Film Z was not canon.

Naruto's new movie is canon, too, as far as I know.

Strong World cannot be canon because of when it happened.

It's a lot like the first DBZ movie though that it wouldn't take much to make it canon.

Seda

What are some of the examples of cut or censored content in the typical adult swim airing of Cowboy Bebop?

I assume the shower scene in Jupiter Jazz, and ___?

Road trip to Rigby Crocodile's crib!

WRMUf28.gif

Thanks for the birthday wishes, ToonamiGaf bros!
I'm not drunk just full of food from the Cheesecake factory!

Food drunk is just as good, if not better, than regular drunk

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Strong World cannot be canon because of when it happened.

It's a lot like the first DBZ movie though that it wouldn't take much to make it canon.

There's nothing that explicitly prevents it from happening when it does (aside from the general "nobody ever mentions these events" thing that is par for the course).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What are some of the examples of cut or censored content in the typical adult swim airing of Cowboy Bebop?

I assume the shower scene in Jupiter Jazz, and ___?

-Blacked out blood
-Numerous dialogue changes (Spike says "shit" quite a bit in the dub, in most episodes, actually)
-Digital bikinis in certain places (like the magazine the kids steal in Ballad of Fallen Angels)
-Certain instances of blood and bullet wounds painted out entirely
-Implied gay sex scene removed from Waltz for Venus (second guy in the bed is changed to a pillow)
gay-tuitous-300x226vmuq3.jpg

-Jet's shirt in Cowboy Funk changed from a weed leaf to a peace sign
-The full episode of The Real Folk Blues is uniformly darkened to hide the blood and violence in the episode to an extreme level

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You'd think a lot of those violence related edits could air after seeing Hellsing x_x

They will. It's just the SD tapes were edited once, in 2001, before Adult Swim was even really a thing.

I imagine little to nothing will be edited from the new HD versions. The only thing that MIGHT would be Gren.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Newest One Piece character popularity poll is out (only the 5th poll in the series' entire run). I've spoilered out all the characters who have not been introduced yet where we are now.

There sure are a lot of characters in this damn show.

01 - Monkey D. Luffy (9,183 votes).
02 -
Trafalgar Law
(8,794 votes).
03 - Roronoa Zoro (7,997 votes).
04 - Sanji (7,154 votes).
05 -
Sabo
(5,134 votes).
06 - Portgas D. Ace (5,121 votes).
07 - Tony Tony Chopper (3,336 votes).
08 - Nami (2,173 votes).
09 -
Bartolomeo
(1,754 votes).
10 -
Boa Hancock
(1,422 votes).
11 - Nico Robin.
12 -
Marco.
13 - Usopp.
14 - Shanks.
15 - Crocodile.
16 - Franky.
17 - Donquixote Doflamingo.
18 -
Eustass Kid.
19 -
Brook.
20 - Mr. 2 - Bon Kurei.
21 -
Perona
22 - Aokiji (Kuzan).
23 - Dracule Mihawk.
24 - Nefertari Vivi.
25 - Smoker.
26 - Whitebeard.
27 -
Cavendish.
28 -
Shirahoshi.
29 -
Rebecca.
30 -
Koala.
31 -
Kyros.
32 -
Silvers Rayleigh.
33 -
Bepo.
34 - Buggy.
35 - Jinbe.
36 -
Fujitora.
37 -
Caesar Clown.
38 - Coby.
39 - Benn Beckman.
40 -
Sugar.
41 - Rob Lucci.
42 -
Señor Pink.
43 - Pell.
44 -
Kizaru (Borsalino).
45 - Kaku.
46 -
Viola (Violet).
47 - Akainu (Sakazuki).
48 -
Urouge.
49 - Enel.
50 -
Marguerite
/Eiichiro Oda
52 -
Corazón/Penguin.
54 -
Basil Hawkins.
55 - Bellamy/
Baby 5.
57 -
Monet.
58 -
X Drake.
59 - Paulie/
Vergo.
61 -
Killer.
62 -
Thatch.
63 - Carue.
64 -
Emporio Ivankov
/Tashigi.
66 - Helmeppo.
67 -
Jewelry Bonney
/Blackbeard.
69 -
Hannyabal/Izou.
71 -
Zephyr (Z).
72 -
Gekko Moriah.
73 - Dr. Hiruluk.
74 -
Garp.
75 -
Scratchmen Apoo.
76 - Makino/Miss Valentine/
Dellinger
/
Gladius
/Spandam.
81 - Tonjit/Bell-mère/Wiper/Dragon.
85 - Bartholomew Kuma.
86 -
Kanjuro/Wicca.
88 - Kaya/
Shachi
/Farafra/Gaimon/Arlong.
93 - Going Merry/Kuro.
95 -
Kumashi
/Kohza.
97 - Eyelashes.
98 -
Diamante/Dadan/Madame Shyarly.
101 - Tyrannosaurus/Gin/
Leo
/
Pica.

I like number 12 better then Usopp, Usopp wouldn't even be in my top 20 that's not so much a shot against Usopp as it is how many characters I really like in OP

daveo42

Banned
I like number 12 better then Usopp, Usopp wouldn't even be in my top 20 that's not so much a shot against Usopp as it is how many characters I really like in OP

Looking at the list, it is surprising how many characters there are in the One Piece world, though it never feels overly bogged down by them.

As for the order, I think some of it is their screen time, backstory, and how prominent they have been in recent years. Bonus in the ranking if you have a kick ass devil fruit ability.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the list, it is surprising how many characters there are in the One Piece world, though it never feels overly bogged down by them.

This has always been a big thing about the series.

One Piece introduces like 15 new characters in an arc and you kinda get to know them all, get interested in their situations, and see how they all fit together, and oftentimes at least a few of them manage to make themselves integral to the world and the plot at large.

Bleach introduces like 15 new characters in an arc and you don't give even the slightest of shits about any of them save one or two, at best. They also end up dying and having virtually no effect on the overarching plot or they manage to survive to future arcs and have virtually no effect on the overarching plot.

Raxus

There is a great example in the recent arc where there is a particular character who has mannerisms that carry out. Where as Bleach tosses a character in, gives em a bullshit power, and then some bullshit overcomes said power. Part of the reason, apart from the main cast, I have difficulty remembering side characters unless something hilariously awful is attached to them like that Arrancar that fondles his guns.

daveo42

Banned
This has always been a big thing about the series.

One Piece introduces like 15 new characters in an arc and you kinda get to know them all, get interested in their situations, and see how they all fit together, and oftentimes at least a few of them manage to make themselves integral to the world and the plot at large.

Bleach introduces like 15 new characters in an arc and you don't give even the slightest of shits about any of them save one or two, at best. They also end up dying and having virtually no effect on the overarching plot or they manage to survive to future arcs and have virtually no effect on the overarching plot.

I also find that by Oda doing that with the characters in the arc, you actually remember who they are when they show up later in the story, even if it's only part of the a cover page or as a reaction to what is happening within the world. I still find it amazing because we get so many characters every arc and most of them are memorable and interesting and feel like a part of the actual world.

I have issues remembering Bleach characters from a few chapters ago, like (very mild manga spoiler)
a handful that showed up recently in the manga that made me check the internet so I could remember who they were and why I should even remotely care about them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
good show?
There's only been an OVA so far, which was rather good, but the anime hasn't been released yet (starts next month). As for the manga, I've been enjoying it, if not for the unique premise of "super strength alien teaches students at school while also teaching them how they can assassinate him".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is it a show fitting for Toonami?
I would say so. As mentioned, the main plot is an alien (along with a few other teachers) teaching a group of students how to be assassins, which means they eventually have to use what they learned on other assassins over the series. Hell, the latest arc had them against the "God of Death".

Kind of.
It does have action, but it's mostly a comedy/gag series.
It relies heavily on Japanese puns and pop culture.
Yeah, this as well. I'd mark it up as an action comedy, but still has serious moments.

It'll be interesting to see how Funimation handles the word play.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No Game No Life at #3? I didn't mind the series (I still stand by the fact episode 6, the word play game one, was bonkers and one of my 2014 anime moments), but so many other animes I would've picked.

Parastye at #1 feels....too high. Don't get me wrong, I'd put it in my top 5, but #1? I feel like the people who voted didn't watch a huge variety of anime over the year.

Case in point HOW THE HELL IS JOJO AT FREAKIN' #13.

Seda

Looks like Funimation is going to have one or two anime each season they simuldub on their subscription service going forward.

As for Toonami, we shouldn't expect anything "new" until:

-Gurren Lagann and Deadman Wonderland end on the same day in March
-when Attack on Titan ends in May
-when Inuyasha ends in June

Edit: Unless they do something unexpected when Jack ends and add in a new show sliding everything else downwards in the line-up

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was about to ask, what's the next show to end. Any word on when Samurai Jack ends?

I can't imagine Funimation will do another simuldub with Toonami soon, i.e next month or in March. I feel like later in the year, like in June or so, is more plausible. I wouldn't mind them trying it again with how well Space Dandy did for the most part.

Raxus

No Game No Life at #3? I didn't mind the series (I still stand by the fact episode 6, the word play game one, was bonkers and one of my 2014 anime moments), but so many other animes I would've picked.

Parastye at #1 feels....too high. Don't get me wrong, I'd put it in my top 5, but #1? I feel like the people who voted didn't watch a huge variety of anime over the year.

Case in point HOW THE HELL IS JOJO AT FREAKIN' #13.

Easiest explanation is that most of the winter anime made it high on the list. JoJo took a break and dropped off a few slots where Parasyte (the strongest show in the season) got boosted to the top spot.

So far this year

1) Space Dandy
2) JoJo
3) Parasyte
4) Gundam Build Fighters Try

Honorable mentions to Tokyo Ghoul, Akame Ga Kill!, and Ping Pong.

The first two did enough to get me interested in the manga at least. I still need to watch Ping Pong.

Valvrave tier:
Aldnoah Zero (can't wait for season 2)

Looks like Funimation is going to have one or two anime each season they simuldub on their subscription service going forward.

As for Toonami, we shouldn't expect anything "new" until:

-Gurren Lagann and Deadman Wonderland end on the same day in March
-when Attack on Titan ends in May
-when Inuyasha ends in June

Edit: Unless they do something unexpected when Jack ends and add in a new show sliding everything else downwards in the line-up

We might get the coveted 11:00 expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom