• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A. Lots of people have NFL Network. Like Me, shapeshifting master of Non-Canon™. I think my cable provider has one package that doesn't have it.
B. The Night game is a CBS/NFL Network simulcast.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mean, once you have it pretty much the only thing you watch is the NFL Network exclusive game your team plays.

And now even that could be on CBS.

All games played by your local team must also be broadcast on a local broadcast station, per NFL rules so you don't miss those even with the NFL Network.

The real reason you can go without the NFL Network if need be is that every other station has veto power over them when it comes to game selection. NBC has top choice but FOX and CBS can protect games within their conference and now even have the power to borrow conference games if their slate sucks. NBC can even flex games up to Sunday night late in the season, which is incredible control but makes sense for the highest rated program.

MNF and TNF have no flex powers for obvious reasons. MNF is on the better channel and has prestige, though less since Sunday Night Football took its prime spot. They've been rather unlucky with their game choices since the start of the deal on ESPN but usually average 3-5 good matchups a season.

At least with the new deal half of Thursday Night games are on CBS and they use their announcers and production crew for the games. TNF used to be a complete amateur hour affair from a production stand point.

Grexeno

All games played by your local team must also be broadcast on a local broadcast station, per NFL rules so you don't miss those even with the NFL Network.
I'm a Steelers fan who has never lived anywhere near Pittsburgh, so this doesn't really matter to me. :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've always found the idea of whitewashing anime to be a patently ridiculous one.

More often than not anime characters look to be some some sort of generically pale pretty boy/girl with weird hair color. They could be anything from high class Indian to pale skinned Japanese to Hitler's wet dream of a blond haired, blue eyed superhuman. Some styles do go for a more realistic portrayal of Japanese as Japanese (Akira happens to be one of them for the most part) but if I was casting a live action Sailor Moon for example I'd go for a mostly white cast if I wanted to be authentic.

I've always found the idea of whitewashing anime to be a patently ridiculous one.

More often than not anime characters look to be some some sort of generically pale pretty boy/girl with weird hair color. They could be anything from high class Indian to pale skinned Japanese to Hitler's wet dream of a blond haired, blue eyed superhuman. Some styles do go for a more realistic portrayal of Japanese as Japanese (Akira happens to be one of them for the most part) but if I was casting a live action Sailor Moon for example I'd go for a mostly white cast if I wanted to be authentic.

I think it boils down to how ingrained the idea of being Japanese is with regards to your story concept. Akira is VERY firmly rooted in that; just transplanting it to New York or whatever misses the point. Sailor Moon I suppose you could argue that the outfits clearly mark the cultural heritage, but it's not nearly as big a deal.

I've argued that Ghost in the Shell's concept is pretty general, so I don't really have a problem with the casting for that supposed movie. And I think you can very easily just take the concept of Death Note and put it somewhere else (the shinigami get a little fuzzy, but still).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think it boils down to how ingrained the idea of being Japanese is with regards to your story concept. Akira is VERY firmly rooted in that; just transplanting it to New York or whatever misses the point. Sailor Moon I suppose you could argue that the outfits clearly mark the cultural heritage, but it's not nearly as big a deal.

I've argued that Ghost in the Shell's concept is pretty general, so I don't really have a problem with the casting for that supposed movie. And I think you can very easily just take the concept of Death Note and put it somewhere else (the shinigami get a little fuzzy, but still).

GITS's lore is inexorably linked with Japanese ultra nationalism. Especially SAC but it also comes up here and there in the manga and movie versions of the story.

GITS's lore is inexorably linked with Japanese ultra nationalism. Especially SAC but it also comes up here and there in the manga and movie versions of the story.

With how blockbusters dumb things down and cut them, that stuff was never going to come up even if the adaptation stuck to Japan.

Crocodile

Unless the work of fiction goes out of its way to depict and describe characters of other ethnicities (like say FMA or Attack on Titan), characters in anime and manga are default Japanese in ethnicity, especially if they have Japanese names, Japanese mannerisms and live in Japan or "Not Japan". Our, American, default is white. There's is Japanese. So the Sailor Moon live action show that was filled with Japanese actors is a way more faithful interpretation than any American version which would likely be filled with actors and actresses of Anglo-Saxon descent.

If you wanted to change Akira so that it took place in America (thought you'd have to make major thematic changes as well as GMN points out) you can get away with fewer East Asian American roles cast. However if you want to still set the film in Neo Tokyo, keep the Japanese themes and keep names like Tetsuo or Kaneda, you don't get to fill the cast with white faces and not called out on your bullshit.

With Ghost in the Shell, that is probably an IP you can more easily change up to set it in future America (though again there are thematic changes you have to make for it to all work) than Akira. If you intention is to keep the setting, names, etc. though you don't get to do "and Scarlett Johansson AS Makoto Kusanagi" and not be called out for white washing bullshit sorry.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hollywood just finished ripping my heart out by messing up the adaption of the world's greatest fairy tale, a book perfect for one long movie, and turning it into three diluted 3D adventure park rides. I have no faith in them for anything.

Whitewashing their movies made in the US by a largely US core of marketable celebrities though? One of the least of their sins when it comes to adaptations.

Also I get that novels and movies are different works and have different strengths, weaknesses, goals. But seriously. Read the Hobbit. It's a perfect fucking screen play right there.

Bilbo secretly wants an adventure. Thorin and Co. want to make money but its really about reclaiming their lost honor. Gandalf is there for reasons unknown. There are a few great setpieces, escaping the goblins in the dark, the tree scene, the spider fight, the dragon, the battle of five armies. Some character growth, some hard decisions are made, some friends die, he goes home a changed man. 3 hours.

EDIT: The reason why GITS could get away with a ton of whitewashing in Japan is the FULLY PROSTHETIC BODIES. You can look like whatever you want in GITS and I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't mind going around with her particular figure!

Tenumi

Banned
I mean, once you have it pretty much the only thing you watch is the NFL Network exclusive game your team plays.

And now even that could be on CBS.

Considering my team has a guerinteed Thursday game every year on the same exact date, not even that.

Unless, of course, they play two Thursday games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
the plan at the start was to have the hobbit be 2 films instead of 3

The real original plan was The Hobbit as one actual movie and then a bridge movie to connect the series. Then The Hobbit switched directors and became two, then three movies on it's own.

Gorillaz

The real original plan was The Hobbit as one actual movie and then a bridge movie to connect the series. Then The Hobbit switched directors and became two, then three movies on it's own.

they should harry potter it and make the final movie a "pt1" lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
they should harry potter it and make the final movie a "pt1" lol

They basically did that with the second movie, it ends right before the climax of the story.

The third movie is 2h30m of climax.

To bring it back on topic, the third movie is a lot like the last two episodes of Hellsing Ultimate. Only with worse CGI. Slightly fewer Nazi Vampires too.

Crocodile

Hollywood just finished ripping my heart out by messing up the adaption of the world's greatest fairy tale, a book perfect for one long movie, and turning it into three diluted 3D adventure park rides. I have no faith in them for anything.

Whitewashing their movies made in the US by a largely US core of marketable celebrities though? One of the least of their sins when it comes to adaptations.

Also I get that novels and movies are different works and have different strengths, weaknesses, goals. But seriously. Read the Hobbit. It's a perfect fucking screen play right there.

Bilbo secretly wants an adventure. Thorin and Co. want to make money but its really about reclaiming their lost honor. Gandalf is there for reasons unknown. There are a few great setpieces, escaping the goblins in the dark, the tree scene, the spider fight, the dragon, the battle of five armies. Some character growth, some hard decisions are made, some friends die, he goes home a changed man. 3 hours.

EDIT: The reason why GITS could get away with a ton of whitewashing in Japan is the FULLY PROSTHETIC BODIES. You can look like whatever you want in GITS and I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't mind going around with her particular figure!

A) The reason there are so few "marketable" non-white actors is because Hollywood, on average, will give white actors chance after chance to establish themselves and grow their brand. Hollywood will nuture the talent and give them several chances to fail. NOBODY in show business starts out as "marketable". However, non-white actors aren't even given those chances. Notice how nearly all the "marketable" Black actors are all middle aged men or older? Or how there are almost no "marketable" East Asian American actors? It's by Hollywood's own design - its a self fulfilling prophesy.

B) I can't imagine a lot of people would want to change their race if give the chance (living in Japan but moving from Japanese to Anglo-Saxon) for any reason that doesn't have to do with racism (which I doubt would be touched upon in any hypothetical narrative).

C)
What they did with the Hobbit was a pure money grab. Pretty shameless IMO :(

Unless the work of fiction goes out of its way to depict and describe characters of other ethnicities (like say FMA or Attack on Titan), characters in anime and manga are default Japanese in ethnicity, especially if they have Japanese names, Japanese mannerisms and live in Japan or "Not Japan". Our, American, default is white. There's is Japanese. So the Sailor Moon live action show that was filled with Japanese actors is a way more faithful interpretation than any American version which would likely be filled with actors and actresses of Anglo-Saxon descent.

If you wanted to change Akira so that it took place in America (thought you'd have to make major thematic changes as well as GMN points out) you can get away with fewer East Asian American roles cast. However if you want to still set the film in Neo Tokyo, keep the Japanese themes and keep names like Tetsuo or Kaneda, you don't get to fill the cast with white faces and not called out on your bullshit.

With Ghost in the Shell, that is probably an IP you can more easily change up to set it in future America (though again there are thematic changes you have to make for it to all work) than Akira. If you intention is to keep the setting, names, etc. though you don't get to do "and Scarlett Johansson AS Makoto Kusanagi" and not be called out for white washing bullshit sorry.

I will laugh my ass off if a Ghost in the Shell movie trailer opens with Scarlett Johansson saying "My name is Motoko Kusanagi", but I think it's pretty fair to assume any anime adaptation from Hollywood is going to change names and the setting; even if it says in an article that "_____ has been cast as this Japanese character", it's best to wait until the final product is a little closer because I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say the name is probably tentative.

But anyway, the larger issue, I think, is when you adapt the material for what seems only like brand recognition. Ghost in the Shell has a lot of iconic aspects to it that can easily be translated even if you lose a lot of the depth (which, let's be honest, a Hollywood blockbuster is going to do), but you kind of need the source material to get all of that. You also need the source material to adapt Death Note. Akira, though? Once you remove the stuff that ties it to Japanese culture, what's left? An asshole kid with superpowers. And you already made Chronicle. If you're not going to do any justice to the material, then what are you actually doing except buying the rights to say, "You recognize this name, right?" I don't really have too much of an issue with transplanting these concepts to make them palatable to a wider audience so long as they actually utilize the material they're adapting. The only options I see for Akira are not utilizing the important part of the material at all or some white-washing fuckery.

Even if that would fit in the universe, it sounds like the most contrived thing imaginable to say "THERE'S ACTUALLY JAPANESE PEOPLE IN THOSE WHITE ROBOTS!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I will laugh my ass off if a Ghost in the Shell movie trailer opens with Scarlett Johansson saying "My name is Motoko Kusanagi", but I think it's pretty fair to assume any anime adaptation from Hollywood is going to change names and the setting; even if it says in an article that "_____ has been cast as this Japanese character", it's best to wait until the final product is a little closer because I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say the name is probably tentative.

But anyway, the larger issue, I think, is when you adapt thee material for what seems only like brand recognition. Ghost in the Shell has a lot of iconic aspects to it that can easily be translated even if you lose a lot of the depth (which, let's be honest, a Hollywood blockbuster is going to do), but you kind of need the source material to get all of that. You also need the source material to adapt Death Note. Akira, though? Once you remove the stuff that ties it to Japanese culture, what's left? An asshole kid with superpowers. And you already made Chronicle.

Even if that would fit in the universe, it sounds like the most contrived thing imaginable to say "THERE'S ACTUALLY JAPANESE PEOPLE IN THOSE WHITE ROBOTS!"

I wouldn't put anything past Hollywood.

I could care less about white washing in hollywood just make a good movie with good acting and a good script. If I were to be bothered I'd be more frustrated with something like Exodus being white washed because their depicting real people who really lived in a different ethnicity. It'd be like making a movie about Obama with a white actor playing Obama or a film about Bush with a black actor playing Bush. If the actor is good and the film is good I'd probably be okay though it'd still be weird. With something like Akira or GitS where its anime characters being made into real people I wouldn't be bothered by it. We already have white/black/hispanic voice actors playing these asian characters anyways <_<

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
With how blockbusters dumb things down and cut them, that stuff was never going to come up even if the adaptation stuck to Japan.
You have to throw out pretty much everything that makes GITS GITS aside from the cyborgs and cyberbrains in order to remove that stuff from it, though.

The entire conceit of GITS is that the rest of the world blew itself the fuck up but Japan was so super awesome that they could make magical technology to make it so nuclear fallout doesn't affect them, while also making all of the other badass technology in the world, making them THE world superpower.

It would be like making Independence Day without all the American jingoism and crap. You can still make a movie with Will Smith fighting aliens, but it is going to be something completely different.

Like, change the context of GITS and make it about survival post-apocalypse rather than politics post-apocalypse, and suddenly you have The Matrix.

You have to throw out pretty much everything that makes GITS GITS aside from the cyborgs and cyberbrains in order to remove that stuff from it, though.

The entire conceit of GITS is that the rest of the world blew itself the fuck up but Japan was so super awesome that they could make magical technology to make it so nuclear fallout doesn't affect them, while also making all of the other badass technology in the world, making them THE world superpower.

It would be like making Independence Day without all the American jingoism and crap. You can still make a movie with Will Smith fighting aliens, but it is going to be something completely different.

Like, change the context of GITS and make it about survival post-apocalypse rather than politics post-apocalypse, and suddenly you have The Matrix.

I disagree; while that stuff is important, I think it's in the background enough that you can still take the sci-fi elements and the fact that it's Police Procedural: Anime and create something recognizably Ghost in the Shell.

bigkrev

I was so excited to finally get NFL network a year or three back.

Now... not so much.

Agreed, when I got it back in 2010 I was ecstatic, mainly because I was sick of ESPN. Now that NBC and Fox have viable alternatives to Sportscenter, my need for the NFL Network, which was the "fill these 15 minutes I have to watch TV or be background noise for a few hours"

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree; while that stuff is important, I think it's in the background enough that you can still take the sci-fi elements and the fact that it's Police Procedural: Anime and create something recognizably Ghost in the Shell.

"Recognizable" is a pretty low threshold, though.

I mean, this is pretty recognizable:
630x07zdn.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Both ways, in the snow, in order to get to school?

My highschool and middle school were too far to walk or even bike to. I did bike/walk to grade school but unfortunately they banned it for most of my last year there because of sidewalk construction.

I pretty much don't wear pants when not working unless it gets in the single digits and windy. Shorts are comfy and easy to wear.

I literally do not wear long sleeve shirts unless I have no other choice.

Gorillaz

anyone else catch psycho pass 2

finished watching the last episode...holy shit nothing happened the whole season...shit is Man God status non canon

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The final Naruto movie is getting a run in major US cities...in two months?!?

Sub only, Final Destination, Fox Tails.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What cities? Am I getting one? Is it cheap?

The Last: Naruto The Movie to Play in U.S. Theaters

North American anime distributor Viz Media announced on Friday that it is collaborating with film distributor Eleven Arts to release The Last -Naruto the Movie- in theaters in the United States. The English-subtitled theatrical run will begin on February 20, and it will "initially screen in 20 major U.S. cities including New York, Boston, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and more."

Tickets will go on sale in mid-January. While supplies last, attendees will receive a special commemorative Naruto film poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom