• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
& one day, I'll care about Sailor Moon.

AKA when I feel like I gotta watch it with everyone else when it hits Toonami.

tl;dr: "You are my friend" is the simplest and most natural sounding way of translating that line into English, but it doesn't necessarily address fully what's being said in the native language.

Very insightful stuff. I'm assuming you speak Japanese? I know that you've mentioned spending some time over there before.

Cross Ange - Episode 9

02D5SbX.gif

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA at this shit! I'm so done. LMAO.

Also Cross Ange is a masterpiece of anime that may have more significance in the history of the human race that we may not be able to fully comprehend yet. It makes SAO look like a well thought out series.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Very insightful stuff. I'm assuming you speak Japanese? I know that you've mentioned spending some time over there before.

Speaking it would be a bit of a stretch. I studied abroad and lived there for a while a good decade back (jesus), and I learned quite a bit of the language. Could generally converse pretty well and had a pretty solid foundation on the basics. I could have pretty easily been able to live on my own in Tokyo (which isn't saying much since everything is in English anyway), though I surely would have been lost out in the inaka. I still have a lot of my vocabulary down, but the grammar is pretty shot to hell. I probably couldn't actually say much of anything but the simplest of sentences now, but I can still understand a lot more.

I do still sometimes catch myself counting things in Japanese, though. That's a weird quirk that popped up somewhere along the way that never disappeared.

Which is to say that my remaining non-degraded knowledge of Japanese is a hell of a lot better than my remaining knowledge of French, which is a language I was damn near approaching conversational fluency in once upon a time (some 15 years ago). Bail out on a planned exchange trip to France and stop taking classes or ever using it and, what to you know, that shit vanishes from the mind fast. I've found old notebooks of mine that are all in my handwriting and completely in French, and it's like "WTF is going on here?!"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Worst show he's ever seen," finally a legit review. His rating of a 1 is a bit high though. At least he recognizes that it does next to nothing right.

He's also covering Season 2 in a style similar to YourMovieSucks' Walking Dead reviews.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Should've have a Xmas movie air on Toonami. *tries to think of Xmas animes*

Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh, Love Hina Christmas Special?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How about The Flintstones meets WWE?

Blaaaaaah
Also, you give the wrestlers terrible rock puns, but you don't include Dwayne Johnson, a wrestler literally called The Rock?

Crocodile

Last week when I was visiting family, I met a friend of my cousin who was pretty big into anime. I apparently sounded a bit of an anime curmudgeon/snob to him :)P) and when the topic of SAO came up, I had some not so nice words to say to his dismay. Of course I couldn't really go into the awkward as fuck incest and rape themes in the show what with my parents within ear shot but that show has enough awful things about it to dig into to :p

I feel doubly ironic in that SAO review how at the end he mentions how brilliant Log Horizon and how that shows brilliance makes SAO's ineptitude even more appalling, after which I watched this weeks Log Horizon which made me go "yep this series stomps the crap out of SAO"

Now I'm going to go watch the new episode of SAO s2 <_<

Soulflarz

Banned
I feel doubly ironic in that SAO review how at the end he mentions how brilliant Log Horizon and how that shows brilliance makes SAO's ineptitude even more appalling, after which I watched this weeks Log Horizon which made me go "yep this series stomps the crap out of SAO"

Now I'm going to go watch the new episode of SAO s2 <_<

Wait you stuck through that for the entire hour?

edit: still listening lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
HEY SPEAKING OF SAO, they could reair that one episode where Kirito plays that one message by that girl we barely know yet she knew he's play her recorded message at Christmas!

FA LA LA LA LA, LA HA HA HA

HEY SPEAKING OF SAO, they could reair that one episode where Kirito plays that one message by that girl we barely know yet she knew he's play her recorded message at Christmas!

FA LA LA LA LA, LA HA HA HA

Oh god I remember that :lol :lol :lol

Didn't she sing Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer or some shit?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Funimation be having a Cyber Monday sale. I see stuff like Casshern Sins on BD for $17, the Eva movies for $10 & $13, Sacred Star of Milos for $7.50, One Piece: Film Z for $9 or $10.50, Samurai Champloo on BD for $20, & more.

Oh god Panty & Stocking for $10. Shame it's not BD.....though I would gladly still accept it if it were given as a gift...

Isnt that what OP is for? (I mean not enough happens in an ep so :p)

Well when I marathoned One Piece I was doing it subbed not dubbed (back then the dub only went up to like 200 episodes) and I was marathoning to catch up on the whole series and not just to where Toonami was. Subbed anime isn't something you can really put on in the background or in a second window unless you're fluent in Japanese.

Funimation be having a Cyber Monday sale. I see stuff like Casshern Sins on BD for $17, the Eva movies for $10 & $13, Sacred Star of Milos for $7.50, One Piece: Film Z for $9 or $10.50, Samurai Champloo on BD for $20, & more.

Oh god Panty & Stocking for $10. Shame it's not BD.....though I would gladly still accept it if it were given as a gift...

$10 for Film Z on BR
$50 for Fairy Tail collection 1 & 2
$22 for Soul Eater BR

Blah why can't this be cyber friday I get paid my big holiday bonus check Thursday and I'll have extra money after my bills are paid ;-;

I'd be tempted by Champloo on Blu for $20. Worth it?

I should add I have the show on DVD already. Just wondering if it's worth the bump up.

Like you'd buy Fairy Tail :p

At that price I might, I've been hesitant to buy any of the box sets for FT because they were always over $40 dollars and I always planned to start collecting them once they dropped to around $25 or lower. At $50 with collection 1 and 2 it hits that sweet spot where I'm basically getting less then a dollar an episode on blu ray where it's worth the money. I also generally like Fairy Tail despite the fact it's extremely repetitive and bogged down with too much fan service. In a world of hilariously incompetent manga/anime Fairy Tail is for better or worse extremely consistent kind of like InuYasha where it's the same story beats every damn arc. If you enjoy that one story beat and don't mind seeing it repeated endlessly it's certainly enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom