• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how people will respond to end of Eva without the rest of the series as context?

Here's the Dec 27 schedule btw
HFKaexW.png

Who's gonna watch?
not me

I've seen both plenty of times already but hell I'll watch em again.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sony Pictures and Nintendo appear to have closed a deal for the animated feature film rights to the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise, according to a series of emails discovered in the massive trove of hacked Sony files recently leaked to the media.

“I am the proud father of mario the animated film [sic],” producer Avi Arad told Sony studio chief Amy Pascal in an email dated Oct. 23, 2014, with the subject line “Mario.” Arad then forwarded Pascal separate images of him with Mario Bros. creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, the latter of which included the message, “Happy ceo, lets get together, it’s the mother load. [sic]”

Pascal forwarded that email to Tom Rothman, who heads up Sony Pictures subsidiary TriStar Pictures. “Avi closed Mario brothers,” she said. “Animated.”
The deal represents only the first step in a very long road to a greenlight for an actual feature film. Animated films especially go through a long and rigorous script development process before a movie starts production. The emails also did not indicate any filmmakers attached to the project, although Pascal does at one point suggest Genndy Tartakovsky, who directed the 2012 Sony Pictures Animation feature Hotel Transylvania and created the Cartoon Network series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. “ts soooo perfect for him,” Pascal wrote. (A rep for Tartakovsky tells BuzzFeed News, however, that the filmmaker “is not involved.”)

Heh. That would be fun.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
As amazing as a Tartakovsky directed Mario movie would be, that deal is probably not going to happen.
Not because it was leaked, but do you really see Nintendo working with Sony on this?
If anything, they'd probably cooperate with Disney.

I hope this Sony hack doesn't hurt the chances of the Samurai Jack movie.

Nah, I'm sure it's still possible.
After Hotel Transylvania 2 and Popeye, maybe they'll give Genndy carte blanche on the Samurai Jack movie.
... One can dream.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
As amazing as a Tartakovsky directed Mario movie would be, that deal is probably not going to happen.
Not because it was leaked, but do you really see Nintendo working with Sony on this?

It'll probably depend on who will let them have final say. I can't see Nintendo allowing this without having the final word each step of the way. I mean, just look at how protective they are of their IP's when it comes to games. I can't imagine that being any less when it comes to movies, if anything they'd probably be even more protective given their history.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Nah, I'm sure it's still possible.
After Hotel Transylvania 2 and Popeye, maybe they'll give Genndy carte blanche on the Samurai Jack movie.
... One can dream.

Sony Pictures and SCE barely communicate.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, Eva 2.22 ends at 5 AM? Man, ratings for that are going to be so low. I don't even know if I wanna stay up that one, and I'd rather rewatch that instead of 1.11 AKA another damn summarization of the series.

Also Genndy making a Mario film actually has potential of not totally sucking like the live action one..

daveo42

Banned
Here's the Dec 27 schedule btw
HFKaexW.png

Who's gonna watch?
not me

I might, just depends on what I'm doing that weekend. 1.11 isn't bad and is more like the first handful of episodes from the show than its own thing. 2.22 is better because of the direction it went in and its ending. 3.33...

af1bd70a2e7b9bd662792071d67350a7.jpg

At least it looked good.

Regiruler

Oh god, Eva 2.22 ends at 5 AM? Man, ratings for that are going to be so low. I don't even know if I wanna stay up that one, and I'd rather rewatch that instead of 1.11 AKA another damn summarization of the series.

Also Genndy making a Mario film actually has potential of not totally sucking like the live action one..
I'm home for that so I'm going to whole mile.

That and I haven't seen Eva before.

Seda

I might, just depends on what I'm doing that weekend. 1.11 isn't bad and is more like the first handful of episodes from the show than its own thing. 2.22 is better because of the direction it went in and its ending. 3.33...

1.11 I felt the Angel climax was exciting and enjoyable - there was certainly a different feel to it being a climax of a movie rather than a relatively early episode of the show, and better visuals and more splashy soundtrack I guess.

My favorite episode of the show is 18 (Shinji v Unit 3) and I didn't care much about how 2.22 handled that. Otherwise it's p good.

daveo42

Banned

I think I have to see it just to know how truly bad it is.

1.11 I felt the Angel climax was exciting and enjoyable - there was certainly a different feel to it being a climax of a movie rather than a relatively early episode of the show, and better visuals and more splashy soundtrack I guess.

My favorite episode of the show is 18 (Shinji v Unit 3) and I didn't care much about how 2.22 handled that. Otherwise it's p good.

Agreed. The biggest issue of 2.22 is that it cuts one of the best portions of the show just because it revolves around a side character.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Agreed. The biggest issue of 2.22 is that it cuts one of the best portions of the show just because it revolves around a side character.
I feel like I should wait until the movies have aired since some people haven't seen it, but yes, I gotta agree with both you & Seda. The main gripe with 2.22 is that the new character, while I'm GUESSING is more of establishing & setting her character up, didn't feel as though she contributed much. I'm waiting to see if 3.33 does anything with her.

Seda

The main gripe with 2.22 is that the new character, while I'm GUESSING is more of establishing & setting her character up, didn't feel as though she contributed much. I'm waiting to see if 3.33 does anything with her.

hahahaha

I totally forgot she existed

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hahahaha

EXACTLY. "HEY, I'M A NEW CHARACTER now please wait about another hour for me to appear again for a minute until I return to sorta help with the climax!".

Again, I feel like they just want you to know she exists in order for her to get more screen time in 3.33 or whatever. But it's not a good sign when she leaves little to no (2nd) impact.

daveo42

Banned
I feel like I should wait until the movies have aired since some people haven't seen it, but yes, I gotta agree with both you & Seda. The main gripe with 2.22 is that the new character, while I'm GUESSING is more of establishing & setting her character up, didn't feel as though she contributed much. I'm waiting to see if 3.33 does anything with her.

LOL

2.22/EVA TV spoiler:
She has hardly any role in the film. Instead they use the new girl as a way to push Shinji into saving the day at the end of the film because they almost completely write out Ryoji Kaji. This also kills off the jealousy/inadequacy angle for Shinji since Kaji's and MIsato's relationship is downplayed along with Asuka's affections.

Mild 3.33 spoilers:
She effectively does nothing her either.

hahahaha

Most of the fanbase would like to forget.

Edit: Are there people who haven't seen either the show or the movies other than Soul?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Heh. That would be fun.

You know, the craziest shit is I was just talking to somebody about the idea of trying a Super Mario Bros. movie again just last night and agreeing that it had to be an animated film.

So I'm going to take full credit for that.

Raxus

Naruto the Musical

Oh the lyrics I could post for the Naruto Musical if they weren't massive spoilers. Though I think this applies pretty well.

Bleach the Musical

This followed by this scene, repeat ad nauseum.
YES I AM FRIKKIN BITTER ABOUT THE RECENT CHAPTERS!

You know, the craziest shit is I was just talking to somebody about the idea of trying a Super Mario Bros. movie again just last night and agreeing that it had to be an animated film.

So I'm going to take full credit for that.
I thought that was Wreck It Ralph?

Crocodile

Sailor Moon is still a premier, international anime franchise. Literally no expense should have been spared on Crystal's production. Top tier animators (even if they had to go to other studios), top tier musicians, top tier everything should be the expectation. I would have expected it to at least match the heart and soul poured into Space Dandy. It astounds me that Sailor Moon is a series that Toei would actually bother to "cheap out" on. Shameful.

Interstellar sucked, Big Hero 6 was awesome,
and I'm not black, so I can't really have an opinion on Top Five

You have to be Black to find Chris Rock funny? Not sure I follow. Top Five kind of snuck on me so I was curious if others had heard good things or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom