• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Of course...

Except that Toei logic dictates that Sailor Moon will sell no matter how much effort they put into it, therefore they should put in zero.

Just like One Piece.
"Dumb kids are going to watch it anyway, don't bother with high quality animation"

It's funny seeing the low effort in their animation, while seeing all the work that goes into Kamen Rider and Super Sentai every year. Though, those two are made to sell toys while most of their animation is based on manga. I say most since Pretty Cure.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece has some pretty great animation at times in the saga that comes after Enies Lobby, though. It sort of became a playground for young animators for a little while.

Even now you still every once in a while get a random bit of sakuga popping up. It's much much rarer than it used to be, though, and I can only really remember one such sequence showing up in the current arc to date. It feels like the anime has really tanked in the last 2 or 3 years.

LOLDSFAN

dhe7l2wbevslqutzcmvp.png

Did Sailor Moon Crystal actually look like the left during its original broadcast?

:x

http://kotaku.com/the-new-sailor-moon-anime-has-changed-1670373950

I saw someone on Twitter post this the other day. Sailor Moon Crystal is the worst looking anime I've seen in a long time. Yuyushiki was pretty bad too but at least it blended in with everyone else.

daveo42

Banned
Of course...

Just like One Piece.
"Dumb kids are going to watch it anyway, don't bother with high quality animation"

It's funny seeing the low effort in their animation, while seeing all the work that goes into Kamen Rider and Super Sentai every year. Though, those two are made to sell toys while most of their animation is based on manga. I say most since Pretty Cure.

I don't even think they get that far and just say "People will tune in regardless of how terrible it looks because it's popular ".

Live action stuff does have that other revenue stream usually, but it also tends to be way cheaper to produce a somewhat quality product. Not sure if this exactly the same for Sentai, but needing to hire in tons of animators to produce a show on top of VAs and writers can make the whole process expensive.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't even think they get that far and just say "People will tune in regardless of how terrible it looks because it's popular ".

Live action stuff does have that other revenue stream usually, but it also tends to be way cheaper to produce a somewhat quality product. Not sure if this exactly the same for Sentai, but needing to hire in tons of animators to produce a show on top of VAs and writers can make the whole process expensive.

Good point, animation tends to be more expensive.
And it's not like KR and Sentai are super-high budget *looks at 90s CGI*

The last several episodes of SM:C have looked a lot better then those first 4-6 which had some real derp faces at times. Whenever SM:C airs on toonami thankfully we won't have that problem

Moaradin

I dropped SM:C about 4 episodes in. It looking terrible didn't help but the main thing that put me off was it's release schedule. 2 episodes a month is not enough to keep me interested.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
How did that happen?
Toei gonna Toei?
It doesn't air on TV so Toei didn't give it any budget.

Sometimes I feel like Toei only made the new SM because they technically promised it years ago and felt like they had to eventually follow through, if only to get everyone to shut up about it.

It doesn't air on TV so Toei didn't give it any budget.

Sometimes I feel like Toei only made the new SM because they technically promised it years ago and felt like they had to eventually follow through, if only to get everyone to shut up about it.

Wasn't that well-animated Toei show someone posted a few pages back also released online?

grandjedi6

Wasn't that well-animated Toei show someone posted a few pages back also released online?
Which is that? Not sure if I heard of it.

You have to be Black to find Chris Rock funny? Not sure I follow. Top Five kind of snuck on me so I was curious if others had heard good things or not.
It's getting a lot of praise and looks hilarious. Chris Rock is hilarious when he's not being held back as a Zebra.

I don't get people who think you need to be black to find Chris Rock or "black audience" movies funny. You just need the vaguest understanding of what black life in America is like. I mean I could see someone from like China not getting it; "He says he won't get a taxi but then gets it? Is this a joke about America's poor infrastructure??"

grandjedi6

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142774315&postcount=3135

Anyway, my problem with Crystal is that it's just....boring. And I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the poor animation and direction, but the writing itself feels so slow; episodes are a chore to get through. What little I watched of the redub for the original series was still entertaining, even when the plot wasn't progressing at all.
Looking it up, it seems like that show used to be a short web show but is now a TV series. Hence the better budget.

And Crystal is super boring. When I originally watched it, me and a girl got most of our entertainment out of making fun of how every thing resulted in lesbianism.

Jarate

Banned
Movie week is really boring, and I might just end up watching the first GL movie instead of doing the movies

I also really need to catch up on Hellsing

Also, has there been any news onna dub for Shingeki No Bahamut, show would do really well on Toonami

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=3135

Anyway, my problem with Crystal is that it's just....boring. And I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the poor animation and direction, but the writing itself feels so slow; episodes are a chore to get through. What little I watched of the redub for the original series was still entertaining, even when the plot wasn't progressing at all.

You should go back and rewatch the original Sailor Moon if you think Crystal is boring as Crystal feels mach speed compared to the original Sailor Moon. Heck it's hard for me to watch the original series anymore because of how much pointless comedy it has. In 11 episodes of Crystal we've covered what took the original series nearly 50 episodes to do.

MikeMyers

PGSM remains my favorite.

As for the 90's anime, I still like it, but it went downhill after R for me. Just got done reviewing S in another thread and I found it uneven.

The manga didn't really execute Dark Kingdom well, but it starts to get better starting with Black Moon.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PGSM remains my favorite.

As for the 90's anime, I still like it, but it went downhill after R for me. Just got done reviewing S in another thread and I found it uneven.

The manga didn't really execute Dark Kingdom well, but it starts to get better starting with Black Moon.

We will never see eye to eye on some of the Sailor Moon stuff. Sailor Moon R has been quite the slog and I still view it as perhaps the nadir of Sailor Moon.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's hilarious that a bi-weekly show still ends up looking like ass. Almost as hilarious as a monthly manga series still looking like ass.

Maybe if TOEI would actually put some money behind Crystal then it wouldn't look like such an eyesore. I know they can do good animation, I watched Kyōsōgiga.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
S was my favorite when I first watched, but constant shafting everyone for Haruka's sake and pacing really got to me on rewatches.

The stuff that pissed me off about R back in the day still pisses me off today, but I will say I can see the quality parts in the cannon material more closely now, it just gets ruined by the Spore and the one of the truly stupidist break up arcs I have ever seen.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
S really drags. It has some of the best Non-Canon™ material though. Along with some of the worst. Also quite possibly the most giffable of all Sailor Moon seasons.

MikeMyers

The break-up makes sense from a narrative standpoint.

I don't mind the Usagi/Chibiusa rivalry for Mamoru in R, but it annoyed me that they tried to bring it back in S and SuperS, considering at that point Chibiusa knew he was her dad. I could never get over that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
S really drags. It has some of the best Non-Canon™ material though. Along with some of the worst. Also quite possibly the most giffable of all Sailor Moon seasons.

Eh, I have found that could be said of any Sailor Moon season really. With each season pushing 50 episodes each, it just comes with the territory.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I don't mind the Usagi/Chibiusa rivalry for Mamoru in R, but it annoyed me that they tried to bring it back in S and SuperS, considering at that point Chibiusa knew he was her dad. I could never get over that.

She knows she is insufferable and wants to die a painless death of nonexistence.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

It isn't the premise, it is the execution, when the characters internally immediately spot at least two big problems with the break up, that is bad writing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eh, I have found that could be said of any Sailor Moon season really. With each season pushing 50 episodes each, it just comes with the territory.

I thought S was slightly longer than the rest and found it had a real bad case of the oh shit, we need to actually get this plot done at the end of it.

The first series would do monster of the day filler, then a stretch of plot, more monster of the day, more plot. R also had a bit of build here and there. S is all goof off for forty episodes, oh wait, time for the plot stuff to happen.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I thought S was slightly longer than the rest and found it had a real bad case of the oh shit, we need to actually get this plot done at the end of it.

The first series would do monster of the day filler, then a stretch of plot, more monster of the day, more plot. R also had a bit of build here and there. S is all goof off for forty episodes, oh wait, time for the plot stuff to happen.

I do admit that the memories of S are aged, Hulu is far away from S at this point.

MikeMyers

S is the shortest season alongside Stars, but they feel the longest.

The biggest crime was only using 2 of the Witches 5, the other seasons balanced out the sub-bosses screentime.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's the shortest?!? Besides Stars which my mind barely counts due to never coming out in English? Crazy the tricks the mind plays. It does feel like it took forever.

The Witches are so good and rather under utilized. Great comedy segments. Good look. Good theme.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
S is the shortest season alongside Stars, but they feel the longest.

The biggest crime was only using 2 of the Witches 5, the other seasons balanced out the sub-bosses screentime.

I dunno, Season One felt like it dragged, to say nothing of the Tree of Doom arc.

MikeMyers

It's the shortest?!? Besides Stars which my mind barely counts due to never coming out in English? Crazy the tricks the mind plays. It does feel like it took forever.

The Witches are so good and rather under utilized. Great comedy segments. Good look. Good theme.

Yeah S and Stars have the worst pacing. I wanted to like Sailor Stars but the execution was so similar to S, and the sort of nail in the coffin for me was the final 5-6 episodes, since they basically character assassinated the entire cast.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I generally hold that the Sailor Moon series get gradually worse as they go along. First is the best and so on.

I do think that the later seasons outside of Stars have some real gems in the random Non-Canon™ episodes while the plot heavy episodes are generally better in the first two seasons.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's about the same for me. Also bugged me that they kept trying to change main characters after R.

It doesn't really stick until Super S and Stars, when yeah, it's pretty damn obvious that the show has changed main characters. Half of the team are footnotes in Stars, it's almost as if they did a mid season Power Rangers style swap out of talent.

MikeMyers

Usagi/Mamoru got overshadowed by Haruka/Michiru in the first half of S, and the second half is when they start pushing Chibiusa to be main character, a status she keeps for all of SuperS. Then you get to Stars which spends a lot of time focusing on a low-rent Mamoru wannabe.

Confirmed to air as a goodie during Akira.......

ME!ME!ME! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I generally hold that the Sailor Moon series get gradually worse as they go along. First is the best and so on.

I do think that the later seasons outside of Stars have some real gems in the random Non-Canon™ episodes while the plot heavy episodes are generally better in the first two seasons.

Sheeeet, I barely got anywhere past the first two seasons as a kid. Now I know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom