• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
bylfIyl.png

Always bet on DBZ

VtRIt3t.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sounds like it might get more people to be aware of Toonami. "Hey, ya liked this episode? We got a new one in a few hours with a ton of other premieres!"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was SO tempted to post "DBZ Kai to air twice a night" to follow with my "Toonami to air twice a night" joke. Oh well.

Crocodile

What used to be there at 8pm on Saturdays?

Maybe this is a test

All part of the covert Toonami Satellite program. While they have everyone convinced they are down, they send out a satellite to claim the the 8pm. Slowly but surely the two ends (8:30pm and 12am) will inch closer together and merge until Toonami runs from 8pm to 3:30am. Nothing can stop Toonami now, the intrusion is upon us!
8pm through 12am will all be DBZ Kai episodes

KAPPA :p

Hasn't Sit Down, Shut Up done horribly for AS in that slot? Perhaps they thought, "Well, this would work coming right out of CN time, and would probably do just as well."

Raxus

Hasn't Sit Down, Shut Up done horribly for AS in that slot? Perhaps they thought, "Well, this would work coming right out of CN time, and would probably do just as well."

Probably. Sit Down, Shut Up has tanked just as hard as it tanked on network TV.

LOLDSFAN

Would you rather have toonami from 8PM-11:30PM or 12AM-3:30AM?

Sleep wise I'd like an earlier block. Downside is that it'l be 7pm CST so there might be a chance I haven't eaten dinner yet so that would mess things up. Also they might be less reluctant to show more risque shows since it's earlier in the night. Overall I think sticking with 12-3:00 is for the best.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why? If the "premiere" episodes were going there, sure. But a repeat of last week's show? I'm curious as to why you feel that way.
Because it's setting up the precedent to move the premiere to 8PM if it does gangbusters there. It's the exact sort of move a network executive does if they want to save the headliner while killing off the rest of a block.

ckohler

Why? If the "premiere" episodes were going there, sure. But a repeat of last week's show? I'm curious as to why you feel that way.

Why? Dbz will probably do gangbusters at 8 that can only be a good thing for AS/Toonami

Like Mature said, it feels like the decision of some exec who looked at strong DBZ numbers and then said, "Why is this airing so late? Toonami? I don't care about some stupid programming block format. I just care about numbers. Pull any shows that are doing well at those hours and air them whenever. Forget that block."

Putting DBZ at 8 is basically giving it its OLD Toonami time slot back. It's a pretty good idea.

I'd be okay with Toonami airing earlier for ratings and exposure but if it means dropping MA rated shows, I'm not.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Because it's setting up the precedent to move the premiere to 8PM if it does gangbusters there. It's the exact sort of move a network executive does if they want to save the headliner while killing off the rest of a block.

This could be it. It could also be that the block there is pulling similar numbers to the current Toonami block, I don't know this for sure I don't have the numbers, and the thinking could be Toonami's numbers would go up if it moved to an earlier slot.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me wouldn't mind it being earlier if it does better, but I feel like we'd have to say good bye to shows like Black Lagoon, Kill la Kill, Hellsing Ultimate, etc. which probably wouldn't be allowed unless it was near the end of the block, around 10:30 or 11.

Like Mature said, it feels like the decision of some exec who looked at strong DBZ numbers and then said, "Why is this airing so late? Toonami? I don't care about some stupid programming block format. I just care about numbers. Pull any shows that are doing well at those hours and air them whenever. Forget that block."

I'd agree it the premiere moved there, but not in this case. To me, it looks more like "KOTH is normally our bridge show from CN to AS, but we already have that scheduled later on Saturday night. Hey, how about we use last week's DBZ? Maybe even run a Toonami promo during it?"

Everyone seems to be on pins and needles because of Toonami's recent scheduling changes but all of them have been positives in my mind. The block could not be sustained at six and a half hours with the library they had available to them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Part of me wouldn't mind it being earlier if it does better, but I feel like we'd have to say good bye to shows like Black Lagoon, Kill la Kill, Hellsing Ultimate, etc. which probably wouldn't be allowed unless it was near the end of the block, around 10:30 or 11.

I think shows like that would be ok airing after 10, maybe 10:30. Hellsing might be a bit much for that timeslot, as would the twins arc in Black Lagoon, but Kill la Kill would probably be fine for it.

Air a repeat at 8 with an advert for the upcoming Toonami premiers at midnight could actually give the block a nice push especially with SAO S2 coming up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Air a repeat at 8 with an advert for the upcoming Toonami premiers at midnight could actually give the block a nice push especially with SAO S2 coming up.
Agreed, this is what I hope they do, especially since they can promote there's another episode of DBZ Kai in a few hours, but it's a premiere. If anything, it'll help keep the show's million plus viewers.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
welp Toonami had a pretty good run, considering its restart began as an April Fools' joke

ladies and gentlemen, it's been an honor

Bang.

ckohler

I'd agree it the premiere moved there, but not in this case. To me, it looks more like "KOTH is normally our bridge show from CN to AS, but we already have that scheduled later on Saturday night. Hey, how about we use last week's DBZ? Maybe even run a Toonami promo during it?"

True, this is the most rational decision. And you're right, mightynine, all these shakeups in the schedule still have be concerned when weird stuff like this happens.

Another way to spin this positively is that it shows that Toonami airs strong programming, worthy of repeats at other hours.

Seda

It's probably just that DBZ is doing better than expected and they figure it can actually compete during the early [as] hours, so why not pop a rerun there

Jarate

Banned
It's probably just that DBZ is doing better than expected and they figure it can actually compete during the early [as] hours, so why not pop a rerun there

^^^

DBZ is still incredibly popular and seems like a solid idea to bridge from kids shows to "adult" shows

Then watch as Sailor Moon is announced for Toonami, then they put it at 8:30 after DBZ.

This makes too much sense, maybe switch SM and DBZ because yes DBZ > SM in terms of popularity, but you'll keep the young girl demo at least though SM probably not though DBZ

Puruzi

Banned
If you want the little girl demo and the grown people, then put on Futari Wa Precure. Dude who did the fights in DBZ did the fights in FWP too

It even has a dub.

Moaradin

If they advertise Toonami during those DBZ reruns and say to tune in at 12 for new episodes, it could bring improved ratings. I'm all for it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Everyone seems to be on pins and needles because of Toonami's recent scheduling changes but all of them have been positives in my mind. The block could not be sustained at six and a half hours with the library they had available to them.
If DBZ does gangbusters at 8PM, how could Adult Swim justify NOT moving the premiere there?

If DBZ does gangbusters at 8PM, how could Adult Swim justify NOT moving the premiere there?

Because why move the premiere if the repeat ends up doing just fine there? If DBZ shores up two time slots, why take away one or the other?

The front half of Saturday night on Adult Swim has also had some ratings weaknesses. We don't really focus on it because our focus is on Toonami and its immediate lead-in, but it's there and I believe that's why they stuffed it with the Fox shows that repeat well and a show that hasn't been repeated ad museum in Rick and Morty and cut Boondocks down to just one episode and now swapped out Sit Down, Shut Up with DBZ - another show that repeats well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom