• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

DBZ Kai: More jobbing. Eh

KLK: Still funny. Satsuki Eng VA ain't got nothing on the JP VA

Final Act: What was that little demon's name again? :p

Shitpuden: Need a gif of Tsunade's pissed off face

GL: Best teacher ever?

OP: Goddammit Sanji

Deadman: Those beautiful beautiful bleeps

Oh hey you're back.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SAB I'll art trade you, I need an excuse to draw sexy ladies. Or do you want to maybe do two takes on the same concept? Thoughts?

Ooo, sounds good. 2 takes sounds cool, especially if I can possibly take a run at it in pixels. Sexy ladies always is best
especially with glasses
so yeah! Subject can be of your choosing.

Raxus

I am a little jelly of ckohler's reviews. His ratings system is waaaay better than mine.

I am not sure how much it helps but I love your spoiler bumps and I hope you keep up with them a little while longer.

If not at least make one with giraffes. I ****ing love giraffes.

ckohler

Thanks man. I think everyone's reviews this week were very entertaining. I liked your retrospective on when Hummingbird first aired since I wasn't around for that. It sure sounded like it was madness. Bass's One Piece review is pretty gdlk. Everyone had interesting things to say. :)

tumblr_njfv2wjjD81tc69d8o1_540.jpg

Future Smash collaboration DLC? >.>

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 79:

Right, well, we have clearly reached the point where the creative team was clearly hurting for ideas because they decided to give an episode to Artemis as they try to craft a comedy parable about him being the butt of many jokes and getting careless. I'll be honest, there is very little to say about this episode other then this may be filler in the truest sense of the word. This episode just seems like exists to fill up an episode number and certainly not a terrible episode but it is pretty boring and useless. Recommendation to avoid.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 80:

Well, this episode was a step up from other recent ventures we have seen seeing as Ami gets the focus this time. I'll be honest, this is a premise that has been explored before, Ami's feelings of insecurity and explored better but at least this episode has a fresh twist on things. Basically the dark power makes everybody think that Ami is a cheater which eventually turns into a concentrated effort to get her to turn into Evil Mercury. The episode plays out well enough yet I can't help feeling an opportunity was missed, not exactly sure how but I think they could have done more with this idea. Anyways recommendation to watch.

daveo42

Banned
I was wondering why everyone was talking about giraffes...then I remembered my boy Kaku. I absolutely love his fight and how he uses his DF.

Azure J

Saw the thread title and was wondering why everyone was roleplaying Patti from Soul Eater before I remembered where everyone should be in One Piece.

Yes. :lol

bigkrev

So I watched Kill la Kill 1 late last night...

I don't really get the show. The sexuality in the final scene (Mako upside down for no real reason other than to show skin, Ryuko's outfit made me :/ , and any attempt at humor was drowned out by all the YELLING EVEYONE DOES ALL THE TIME. The visuals were impressive, but I don't think I will be sticking with this a few weeks from now

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sees Funimation tweet* "See #SpaceDandy on the big screen! It's the only way to live, baby:"

GASP SPACE DANDY THE MOVIE?!?!?

"Catch FREE screenings of the first 4 episodes of Space Dandy (before the series releases on Blu-ray and DVD, March 3rd!)"

.........................Damn it......

*sees Funimation tweet* "See #SpaceDandy on the big screen! It's the only way to live, baby:"

GASP SPACE DANDY THE MOVIE?!?!?

"Catch FREE screenings of the first 4 episodes of Space Dandy (before the series releases on Blu-ray and DVD, March 3rd!)"

.........................Damn it......

Why would you possibly think funimation would be announcing a space dandy movie before Japan?

Azure J

Oh geez, I missed a second go around with Minatsuki's reveal in Deadman? One of the things I'm saddest about in my time on GAF was essentially waiting to see everyone's reaction to her when the first run was underway only to have no internet during the night of the premiere. I still can't imagine or quantify the pandemonium ToonamiGAF must have experienced.

TheChits

Oh geez, I missed a second go around with Minatsuki's reveal in Deadman? One of the things I'm saddest about in my time on GAF was essentially waiting to see everyone's reaction to her when the first run was underway only to have no internet during the night of the premiere. I still can't imagine or quantify the pandemonium ToonamiGAF must have experienced.

It is easily the highlight of this new Toonami and my toonami-gaf experience. Really doubt they'll ever top it

TUSR

Banned
So I watched Kill la Kill 1 late last night...

I don't really get the show. The sexuality in the final scene (Mako upside down for no real reason other than to show skin, Ryuko's outfit made me :/ , and any attempt at humor was drowned out by all the YELLING EVEYONE DOES ALL THE TIME. The visuals were impressive, but I don't think I will be sticking with this a few weeks from now
You should probably watch more than 1 episode.

Raxus

It is easily the highlight of this new Toonami and my toonami-gaf experience. Really doubt they'll ever top it

My favorite Toonami-GAF experiences (in no particular order)

SAO - KIYABA!
Tenchi Muyo! GXP - Finale
Deadman Wonderland - Hummingbird
Bleach - Momo!!!
SAO - Tentacles
SAO - Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer
Tenchi Muyo! GXP - Tannan (pink haired guy) episode
SAO - Sugo tears
Thundercats - MAXIMUM TROLLING
Black Lagoon - Rock and Levi share a cigarette
Space Dandy - Viva All
Space Dandy - Zombie episode
Symbionic Titan - Shake it, Bake it
Symbionic Titan - You know, for kids!

Granted they are mostly awful moments for the most part it is these extremes and the reactions to them push them into classic territory. Even better was when the moments coalesced into one great moment like the SAO - Sugo reveal airing after space dandy led a classic gif I can't find featuring the Space Dandy Zombie Door but instead of opening the door to a zombie Meow it was Sugu. It is moments like those make me love this place. Going back also makes me realize how much I miss Andrex :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sakura Jobbing to Ino is one of my favorite TOONAMI moments so far besides the ones Raxus mentioned that I was around for.

You missed a couple of good Black Lagoon ones and people also went nuts during the high school musical and Dandy/Scarlet episode.

Raxus

Sakura Jobbing to Ino is one of my favorite TOONAMI moments so far besides the ones Raxus mentioned that I was around for.

You missed a couple of good Black Lagoon ones and people also went nuts during the high school musical and Dandy/Scarlet episode.

Yeah I know I missed quite a few. I was just rattling stuff off my head. I also missed Good Guy Satan from Blue Exorcist. Funny that is the only scene in the series that sticks out for me along with the one where they stuff 20 episodes worth of content in one episode. It was like Final Act on steroids.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ino facts just go to show how utterly wasted the rest of the cast is. Filler hell had the right idea as far as the structure the story should have taken post-timeskip, mixing up the cast and teams for each arc to create new dynamics, the stories just sucked.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ino facts just go to show how utterly wasted the rest of the cast is. Filler hell had the right idea as far as the structure the story should have taken post-timeskip, mixing up the cast and teams for each arc to create new dynamics, the stories just sucked.

Kinda. Most of the stories are good until they remember that they only have 3-6 episodes to tell the story and completely rush the ending. It's pretty disappointing.

I think that if they took the best stories they had and did them in longer arc forms it would be pretty good, that being said the best filler episodes are far and away the one off comedy episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why was last week's Shippuden episode called "Title"? I don't remember it even coming up.

It was discussed. Shippuden has awful titles for the most part. Quite the opposite of the literally translated spoiler filled titles that Part 1 had.

LOLDSFAN

Why was last week's Shippuden episode called "Title"? I don't remember it even coming up.

It's a throwback to episode 37 that was called "Untitled". Remember Sai didn't name any of his drawings, they were all just untitled. This could be a metaphor for his own life where he didn't really have an identity but did as he was told like a robot. Remember how Sai was just a code name. By episode 53 when he met Danzo, he requested if he could keep the name Sai. It could then be assumed that Sai has found his identity, his identity with is friends aka Naruto and Sakura.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a throwback to episode 37 that was called "Untitled". Remember Sai didn't name any of his drawings, they were all just untitled. This could be a metaphor for his own life where he didn't really have an identity but did as he was told like a robot. Remember how Sai was just a code name. By episode 53 when he met Danzo, he requested if he could keep the name Sai. It could then be assumed that Sai has found his identity, his identity with is friends aka Naruto and Sakura.

His painting of the group at the end of the episode was also given a title ("Friendship" or some such bullshit). THE SYMBOLISM!

What an obtuse as fuck episode title.

2286117-2deep4u_super.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

I still believe that following the Land of Waves/Zabuza, there should have been a few more shorter arcs where Team 7 worked with the other teams in other villages. It would be great character development and world-building for everyone. Then they'd get to the Chunin Exams where people can apply what they learned through these arcs.

Alas... that wasn't what Togashi was doing.

Haha thats great

I still believe that following the Land of Waves/Zabuza, there should have been a few more shorter arcs where Team 7 worked with the other teams in other villages. It would be great character development and world-building for everyone. Then they'd get to the Chunin Exams where people can apply what they learned through these arcs.

Alas... that wasn't what Togashi was doing.

Wut? If Togashi wrote Naruto the anime pacing would be even worse

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Oh I'm with you there as well, I was just talking about post-timeskip. There was no reason to create Sai when you've already got a huge cast that everyone likes. Like maybe Shino or someone gets recruited into Root and brainwashed or something and betrays them during that arc. My point is the larger cast is generally wasted after the timeskip.

Moaradin

Most of the cast was wasted way before the time-skip. It was clear pretty early on that Kishi didn't know how to manage a large cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom