• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Even though everybody says Darker than Black squanders any potential it had, hard, I feel like I should finish it one of these days.

I figure there's always a chance it could show up on Toonami.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DTB could happen on TOONAMI. Might do pretty well too so they decide to air the sequel. Then the fun truly begins. They haven't aired a show as bad as the second season in quite some time.

DTB could happen on TOONAMI. Might do pretty well too so they decide to air the sequel. Then the fun truly begins. They haven't aired a show as bad as the second season in quite some time.

It's been a while since I watched DTB, but I remember the main character goes from a hardened badass to a
serious drunk who is constantly slapping women around.

Soulflarz

Banned
DTB S1 was good
Bass and I agreed to watch s2 together
oh boy.
I think we've done 3 episodes in a year, after dtb1
Kind of amazing how zzz it was.

BBboy20

So normally I wouldn't shill for a thread in the gaming side, but check out that Metroid thread, if you're a big fan of the Metroid Prime games.

Because it's hype as fuck.

Goddammit, I want another Metroid Prime game now.
Is that Metroid Prime possessing a Chozo corpse?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I never did watch more than one episode of the second season of Darker than Black. I always liked the first season and thought it was a no-brainer for Adult Swim, though.

Line_HTX

I never did watch more than one episode of the second season of Darker than Black. I always liked the first season and thought it was a no-brainer for Adult Swim, though.

I bought S1 at a cheap price, and I heard that the dub was good enough to be on TV.

What in the hell are those colors on your face?

Toonami Series in a Nutshell:
Dragon Ball Z Kai - The same show with less episodes

Akame ga Kill - The show where everyone dies and nobody cares because it’s so on the edge it’s liable to fall off it

Parasyte - Philosophical debates, teenage wangst and a whole lot of body horror

Samurai Champloo - Two Guys, A Girl and a Hip Hop soundtrack

Naruto Shippuden - Half filler, a quarter flashbacks and and 10 percent magical ninja trying to save his boyfriend who doesn’t want to be saved

One Piece - The pirates who don’t do anything piratey but have long winded friendship speeches because of tragic childhoods

Michiko & Hatchin - A 22 episode road trip where all we really learn is most men are douche bags

Sword Art Online II - Kirito proves he can be OP in any game and Reki Kawahara demnds you feel bad about PTSD and Aids and plays the rapey guy card again

KILL la KILL - The show with kill in the title where pretty much nobody dies but pretty much everybody gets naked

Attack on Titan - One guy aspires to kill all the giant naked people and get back to his father’s basement but accomplishes neither

http://sketch1984.tumblr.com/post/136968399789/toonami-series-in-a-nutshell

There's a longer list featuring every Toonami show, but no way was I going to copy and paste all of that.

Seda

Friend is a fan of Akame Ga Kill and so wants that collector's edition. HALP!

BitchSlap.gif~c200

Soulflarz

Banned
Honestly, the people who like SAO are your average consumer

Here is your daily reminder your average teenage/young adult american you give SAO to falls in love immediately and is unable to change their opinion as the show gets worse until you spell it out for them, at which point they say they hate it past season 1 as if it's a given.

Honestly, most people are bad about forming their own opinions nowadays. I know people who go into games as X or Y is good/bad based on the metascore vs their true enjoyment. As in if the games meta is 65, they have a weird mental block to saying it's a good game automatically.

BBboy20

Honestly, the people who like SAO are your average consumer

Here is your daily reminder your average teenage/young adult american you give SAO to falls in love immediately and is unable to change their opinion as the show gets worse until you spell it out for them, at which point they say they hate it past season 1 as if it's a given.

Honestly, most people are bad about forming their own opinions nowadays. I know people who go into games as X or Y is good/bad based on the metascore vs their true enjoyment. As in if the games meta is 65, they have a weird mental block to saying it's a good game automatically.
But even those that I find to have taste don't seem to notice how obscenely flawed the show is. I've said this before but it feels like I'm living in the Body Snatchers with this franchise. 1000 years of the evolution of fiction being shitted every moment this TV show remains a resounding success when people you trust are also blinded to it's shittiness.

ckohler

I finished listening to all 4+ hours of the ToonamiGAF Awards.

It was fun. :) I've listened to several Toonami podcasts in the past and this thankfully avoided some of the trappings I don't enjoy like people not focusing on the block (usually talking about themselves) or some hosts simply being apathetic or disinterested. Here, everyone was very enthusiastic and passionate about discussing Toonami and its shows. I liked that a lot. I hope you won't mind some constructive criticism for next year.

FORMAT

Overall, you might want to consider a different methodology to the format. Having an open debate is interesting but it was very, very long winded and a lot of the time it resulted in people having to concede to giving up their favorite choices. Sometimes it was a vote and sometimes it wasn't. It was only "partially" democratic. I'm not really sure how to solve that issue but it's worth thinking about.

Another option might be to simply just let each panelists have their own personal set of winners and give each the opportunity to discuss them. Regardless, I do think I would prefer the show be like most other award shows where the results are already decided in advance and the presentation is about discussing the winners.

I recommend the host come prepared with clips to play (OPs, songs, nominated moments, etc.) to help liven up the show. I also have some podcast/media experience so if you guys need help next year, I'd be happy to assist.

RULE SUGGESTIONS

Here are a few new rules to consider:

Only stuff that actually aired on Adult Swim should be eligible. I think you did that for the most part but maybe an OP or two was let slip into being nominated.

I suggest a "Best Romance" or "Best Chemistry" category.

I suggest a "Best Song" category in addition or in place of Best Soundtrack.

This was discussed during the show but split up "Best Moment" into separate "Most Epic Moment" and "Most Funny Moment" categories.

Lastly, be sure and clearly define the qualifications for each category in advance. For example, when judging best opening each judge needs to consider more than just the song. They need to factor the quality of the animation, the tone it sets, and ultimately combination of those factors.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Rexino was a good host but it bothered me that he kept trying to nominate finalists or pick winners before even finishing listing the nominees or giving everyone an opportunity to chime in. However, that's probably less to do with Rexino and more to do with the whole open discussion format and the desire to move things along quickly. Like I said, I think it would work better of the deliberation wasn't the show.

I thought it was funny that even though there was a ton of talking over each other, everyone usually shut up every time Seda talked. He did't say a ton but when he did he had solid points that would ultimately lead the conversation in a good direction and he was funny. I didn't mind his tie-breakers.

I've heard Oni Actual before on the Toonami Rundown show so I already was aware of his personality. He's a very gruff and opinionated person but also fair and knowledgable. He's also almost the complete opposite of my tastes of all the panelists, lol. :)

I appreciated Imperial Biship's often differing opinion. He also seemed like a really nice guy and also fair. We share a lot of the same opinions.

Raxus I enjoyed your enthusiasm and I found myself agreeing with you a lot as well.

Ultimately, I think everyone had something good to bring to the conversation. Nobody sounded weird. You guys all sounded cool to me.

I finished listening to all 4+ hours of the ToonamiGAF Awards.

It was fun. :) I've listened to several Toonami podcasts in the past and this thankfully avoided some of the trappings I don't enjoy like people not focusing on the block (usually talking about themselves) or some hosts simply being apathetic or disinterested. Here, everyone was very enthusiastic and passionate about discussing Toonami and its shows. I liked that a lot. I hope you won't mind some constructive criticism for next year.

FORMAT

Overall, you might want to consider a different methodology to the format. Having an open debate is interesting but it was very, very long winded and a lot of the time it resulted in people having to concede to giving up their favorite choices. Sometimes it was a vote and sometimes it wasn't. It was only "partially" democratic. I'm not really sure how to solve that issue but it's worth thinking about.

Another option might be to simply just let each panelists have their own personal set of winners and give each the opportunity to discuss them. Regardless, I do think I would prefer the show be like most other award shows where the results are already decided in advance and the presentation is about discussing the winners.

I recommend the host come prepared with clips to play (OPs, songs, nominated moments, etc.) to help liven up the show. I also have some podcast/media experience so if you guys need help next year, I'd be happy to assist.

RULE SUGGESTIONS

Here are a few new rules to consider:

Only stuff that actually aired on Adult Swim should be eligible. I think you did that for the most part but maybe an OP or two was let slip into being nominated.

I suggest a "Best Romance" or "Best Chemistry" category.

I suggest a "Best Song" category in addition or in place of Best Soundtrack.

This was discussed during the show but split up "Best Moment" into separate "Most Epic Moment" and "Most Funny Moment" categories.

Lastly, be sure and clearly define the qualifications for each category in advance. For example, when judging best opening each judge needs to consider more than just the song. They need to factor the quality of the animation, the tone it sets, and ultimately combination of those factors.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Rexino was a good host but it bothered me that he kept trying to nominate finalists or pick winners before even finishing listing the nominees or giving everyone an opportunity to chime in. However, that's probably less to do with Rexino and more to do with the whole open discussion format and the desire to move things along quickly. Like I said, I think it would work better of the deliberation wasn't the show.

I thought it was funny that even though there was a ton of talking over each other, everyone usually shut up every time Seda talked. He did't say a ton but when he did he had solid points that would ultimately lead the conversation in a good direction and he was funny. I didn't mind his tie-breakers.

I've heard Oni Actual before on the Toonami Rundown show so I already was aware of his personality. He's a very gruff and opinionated person but also fair and knowledgable. He's also almost the complete opposite of my tastes of all the panelists, lol. :)

I appreciated Imperial Biship's often differing opinion. He also seemed like a really nice guy and also fair. We share a lot of the same opinions.

Raxus I enjoyed your enthusiasm and I found myself agreeing with you a lot as well.

Ultimately, I think everyone had something good to bring to the conversation. Nobody sounded weird. You guys all sounded cool to me.
You are a trooper, sir.

Huh, I made the Dean's (goddammit.) list last semester...

SEE GUYS! That intelligence test didn't know squat! Clearly this is a sign of my actual intelligence, and it's not because I took classes that the average chimp could pass.

Is that Metroid Prime possessing a Chozo corpse?

Apparently there might have been one surviving Chozo in Metroid Prime originally. But we don't know for sure. It's speculation.

honestly

all the SAO games are trash

I gave them a serious try too

People are thirsty for that current-gen console JRPG that they'll tolerate mediocrity. Hell, I even bought Type-0 on day one and the game isn't even that good (though the FFXV demo is love)

Friend is a fan of Akame Ga Kill and so wants that collector's edition. HALP!

Tell them to buy Shadow the Hedgehog instead.

Line_HTX

That first hour drop and Champloo's massive drop is all of the Bengals' and Steelers' fault. They caused me to scramble at the end of the game TWO MINUTES before the block started to find that Sinon running Toonami gif.

I hope the Packers and Cardinals can end at a reasonable time.

>:p

he watched and loved that. He is also right next to me.

good god he was browsing SAO2 for a bit.

Make him go down deeper through this rabbit hole. Show him Future Diary and if he wants more brainless garbage tell him to start watching RAW on Mondays.

We have room for plenty down here.

Future Diary on Toonami?

I don't know if I can find a train crash gif that's explosive enough.
dHoshAJ.gif

*looks at the new character announcements for Pokken fighter*

Garchomp? Okay. Standard Mewtwo? Eh, alright. Braixen...

wut?

I just want these guys. The people just want these guys.
Just put them in the game. Give the people what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom