• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toonami needs Myriad Colors Phantom World.

XD

7EWmDkh.gif

...I wanna see the reactions.

My whole point is that it's weird for SJ to run romance mangas when they dont do well. Obviously it's not their forte.

But they do do well. Not selling as much as One Piece for sure but if you were to look at the best selling romance manga, a lot would be from Jump on the basis that they are in Jump in the first place.

Kodansha isn't going to stop running stuff like xxxHolic, Joshiraku, Aku no Hana and Sankarea because they run in the same magazine and don't sell as well as Attack on Titan but nobody expects them to.

I like that gif, but Phantom World is pretty bad.

It's well animated.

I'll give it that.

But it also has the old LN tried and true "Hey I know you know this main character, but I gotta explain it to the viewers" scene.

Alright, I think we've got some distance now, so here are the winners of the Toonami Show Rundown's TOMmy Awards for 2015. If you want to hear our deliberation process behind these decisions, there are a bunch of timestamps on the podcast itself in addition to the full list of nominees. (The only thing I can think to note at the moment is that we didn't count any of the Shippuden openings because we forgot about Blue Bird and the others didn't air on TV). Bolded stuff wins, italicized stuff are runners-up that aren't in any particular order.

Best Overall Dub:
One Piece
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Kill la Kill

Worst Moment:
Sinon's intervention (SAO2)
Continued attempts to redeem Kayaba (SAO2)
Trash can puppy (Parasyte)

Best Moment:
Asuma's funeral (Shippuden)

Going Merry funeral (One Piece)
Super Saiyan transformation (DBZ)

Best Promo:
Get Busy Living

October 2015 Lineup
Prepare for Battle

Worst-Looking Show:
Naruto Shippuden

Dragon Ball Z Kai (new art)
Kill la Kill (second half)

Best-Looking Show:
Sword Art Online II

Gurren Lagann
Michiko and Hatchin

Best Weapon or Technique:
Ox Ox Fruit, Model: Giraffe (One Piece)

Kaio-ken (DBZ)
Gurren Lagann

Best Opening or Ending:
"A Future without You" (InuYasha: The Final Act opening)

"Nothing Can Stop Me Now" (Michiko and Hatchin episode 22 ending)
"Courage" (SAO2)

Worst Soundtrack:
Dragon Ball Z Kai

Akame ga Kill
Parasyte

Best Soundtrack:
Gurren Lagann

Michiko and Hatchin
Naruto Shippuden

Best Fight:
Shikamaru vs. Hidan (Shippuden)

Goku vs. Vegeta (DBZ)
Ryuko vs. Tsumugu (Kill la Kill)

Best Cast:
One Piece

Dragon Ball Z Kai
Kill la Kill

Biggest Disappointment:
Michiko and Hatchin

InuYasha: The Final Act
Kill la Kill

Biggest Surprise:
Samurai Jack season 5

Sentai joins the block
Sonny Strait returns
TOM is on a planet

Best Name:
Funkfreed (One Piece)

Mako Mankanshoku (Kill la Kill)
Nonon Jakuzure (Kill la Kill)
Satoshi Batista (Michiko and Hatchin)

Worst Character:
Kinon (Gurren Lagann)

Kikyo (InuYasha: The Final Act)
Kyoji (SAO2)

Best Character:
Shikamaru (Shippuden)

Hatchin (Michiko and Hatchin)
Vegeta (DBZ)

Worst Storyline:
Gun Gale Online (SAO2)

Inside Naraku (InuYasha: The Final Act)
The Second Half (Kill la Kill)

Best Storyline:
Immortals (Shippuden)

Saiyan Saga (DBZ)
The first half (Kill la Kill)

Best Voice Performance:
Erica Mendez as Yuuki (SAO2)

Chris Ayres as Frieza (DBZ)
Christopher Sabat as Vegeta (DBZ)

Worst Show:

Akame ga Kill
Sword Art Online II

Best Show:
Dragon Ball Z Kai

Gurren Lagann
Parasyte

Hellwarden brought Weekday ToonamiGAF back after nothing happened for more than a day.

I've long theorized that the average human has a built in lewd detector. Similar to how birds know to fly south for the winter, and spiders know to spin web, I believe this lewd detector is also innate, or perhaps a sixth sense. This is why they returned. They sense the lewdness of that gif. How I don't know.

Sadly my efforts to study this phenomenon have been rebuffed by modern academia. They would group me and my theories with the quacks in parapsychology.

Yall are crazy. The trash can puppy was hilarious.

Actually, all of those worst moments were pretty amazing.

Yeah trash can puppy should have been nominated for best moment, the people who voted it worst are even more dead inside then both Sinichi and the lump of meat in the trash

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
if the category was "worst placement of music" I'd agree but the original Kikuchi score is great.

Exactly. Toei haphazardly placed the original Kikuchi score all over Kai without any regard to timing or tone. I get they wanted to dump the Yamamoto score as quickly as possible but still...

Still nothing compared to HOTD boobs dodging bullets.

It'd be difficult to top HSOTD's Matrix Tits.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm at least the third biggest OP fanboy in this thread and likely the biggest dub fan and there's just no way KlK loses to One Piece. That's crazy town.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait, isn't the Kikuchi score the one we're hearing now like the original DBZ non-Faulkner score?

Correct. The Shunsuke Kikuchi score is what was used in the original DBZ. When they made Kai, they replaced it with one by Kenji Yamamoto until it was discovered he plagiarized several tracks and was fired, quickly replacing the Kai score with the original DBZ one (and doing it poorly)

Line_HTX

Yeah, no, I strongly disagree on Kikuchi being the worst soundtrack. Yes, it was a last minute replacement to get rid of traces of Yamamoto, but I feel that Kikuchi more or less captures the original DBZ feel more.

I protest this one.

Crocodile

Alright, I think we've got some distance now, so here are the winners of the Toonami Show Rundown's TOMmy Awards for 2015. If you want to hear our deliberation process behind these decisions, there are a bunch of timestamps on the podcast itself in addition to the full list of nominees. (The only thing I can think to note at the moment is that we didn't count any of the Shippuden openings because we forgot about Blue Bird and the others didn't air on TV). Bolded stuff wins, italicized stuff are runners-up that aren't in any particular order.

Best Overall Dub:
One Piece
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Kill la Kill

Sure I'll allow it

Worst Moment:
Sinon's intervention (SAO2)
Continued attempts to redeem Kayaba (SAO2)
Trash can puppy (Parasyte)

Why is the Trash Can Puppy on this list? Kayaba wankery should've wonIMO

Best Moment:
Asuma's funeral (Shippuden)

Going Merry funeral (One Piece)
Super Saiyan transformation (DBZ)

I'll allow it

Best Promo:
Get Busy Living

October 2015 Lineup
Prepare for Battle

I'm going to have to actually look up these promos to remind me what they are.
Worst-Looking Show:
Naruto Shippuden

Dragon Ball Z Kai (new art)
Kill la Kill (second half)

Is this just art or animation? The animation in KLK took hits but the art remained strong enough that I'd leave it off this list.

Best-Looking Show:
Sword Art Online II

Gurren Lagann
Michiko and Hatchin

Really? REALLY? I think Gurren Lagann and Michiko and Hatchin both outrank SAO if we are talking about backgrounds, scenery, animation, whatever. SAO isn't bad, just.....less impressive to me.

Best Weapon or Technique:
Ox Ox Fruit, Model: Giraffe (One Piece)

Kaio-ken (DBZ)
Gurren Lagann

Ok this is OP fanboyism right here. Clearly GL wins of the things on this list

Best Opening or Ending:
"A Future without You" (InuYasha: The Final Act opening)

"Nothing Can Stop Me Now" (Michiko and Hatchin episode 22 ending)
"Courage" (SAO2)

Eh I'll allow it

Worst Soundtrack:
Dragon Ball Z Kai

Akame ga Kill
Parasyte

I'll allow it. AgK soundtrack is fine, I don't think I'd put it on this list.

Best Soundtrack:
Gurren Lagann

Michiko and Hatchin
Naruto Shippuden

I'll allow it

Best Fight:
Shikamaru vs. Hidan (Shippuden)

Goku vs. Vegeta (DBZ)
Ryuko vs. Tsumugu (Kill la Kill)

I'll allow it but the finale from TTGL should be on the shortlist at least.

Best Cast:
One Piece

Dragon Ball Z Kai
Kill la Kill

I'll allow it

Biggest Disappointment:
Michiko and Hatchin

Kill la Kill

Nah its Inuyasha

Biggest Surprise:
Samurai Jack season 5

Sentai joins the block
Sonny Strait returns
TOM is on a planet

I'll allow it

Best Name:
Funkfreed (One Piece)

Mako Mankanshoku (Kill la Kill)
Nonon Jakuzure (Kill la Kill)
Satoshi Batista (Michiko and Hatchin)

I'll allow it

Worst Character:
Kinon (Gurren Lagann)

Kikyo (InuYasha: The Final Act)
Kyoji (SAO2)

Wut? How? Like pick almost anyone from SAO LOL

Best Character:
Shikamaru (Shippuden)

Hatchin (Michiko and Hatchin)
Vegeta (DBZ)

I'll allow it

Worst Storyline:
Gun Gale Online (SAO2)

Inside Naraku (InuYasha: The Final Act)
The Second Half (Kill la Kill)

I'll allow it

Best Storyline:
Immortals (Shippuden)

Saiyan Saga (DBZ)
The first half (Kill la Kill)

I'll allow it. Not sure I'd put KLK on this short list though.

Best Voice Performance:
Erica Mendez as Yuuki (SAO2)

Chris Ayres as Frieza (DBZ)
Christopher Sabat as Vegeta (DBZ)

I'd give this to Chris Ayres/Frieza

Worst Show:

Akame ga Kill
Sword Art Online II

Inuyasha over SAO. Really?

Best Show:
Dragon Ball Z Kai

Gurren Lagann
Parasyte

Why is Parasyte on this short list? M&H > Parasyte.

if the category was "worst placement of music" I'd agree but the original Kikuchi score is great.

We counted that as part of the criteria; it basically doubled as "worst use of music." It's every bit the slapdash, last minute replacement it would appear to be, and that's why it took it.
I'm at least the third biggest OP fanboy in this thread and likely the biggest dub fan and there's just no way KlK loses to One Piece. That's crazy town.

I fought for Kill la Kill, but the reason One Piece won was less hiccups overall; there were more than a few times where they tried to punch up the dialogue in KLK with cursing or slang and it just didn't work.
Is this just art or animation? The animation in KLK took hits but the art remained strong enough that I'd leave it off this list.

It's both; whatever contributes to the look of the show. Kill la Kill is on there because it's either that or Akame ga Kill, which has generic art but never reaches the lows KLK does (and honestly I don't think we made the wrong choice because KLK's art kinda stagnates after a point).
Really? REALLY? I think Gurren Lagann and Michiko and Hatchin both outrank SAO if we are talking about backgrounds, scenery, animation, whatever. SAO isn't bad, just.....less impressive to me.

I argued that SAO's inability to create a truly cohesive world was an issue and I still don't really agree with the argument that that's on the writing, but SAO still has a ton of craft put into it. I don't believe it's as interesting as the other two, but I also concede that it was probably more consistently impressive in its quality.
I'll allow it. AgK soundtrack is fine, I don't think I'd put it on this list.

This is another one where it was pretty much just picking something to round out the three.
Inuyasha over SAO. Really?

SAO after GGO managed to find multiple points where it became more or less tolerable. The Caliber arc is fine, and although Mother's Rosario has quite a few moments of being laughably awful, the parts outside of that are at least okay.

InuYasha was such a poorly-paced chore that it actually made SAO look a little bit better since we at least got some entertainment value (intentional or not) out of THAT show. There are maybe three moments at best where it actually found its footing.
Why is Parasyte on this short list? M&H > Parasyte.

Michiko is definitely a "higher highs, lower lows" thing that was way more of the latter than the former.

Crocodile

It's both; whatever contributes to the look of the show. Kill la Kill is on there because it's either that or Akame ga Kill, which has generic art but never reaches the lows KLK does (and honestly I don't think we made the wrong choice because KLK's art kinda stagnates after a point).

AgK is so generic sometimes that its borderline offensive. I never got the feeling Trigger ever stopped trying even if the production schedule was against them whereas is rarely felt like White Fox ever tried with AgK.

I argued that SAO's inability to create a truly cohesive world was an issue and I still don't really agree with the argument that that's on the writing, but SAO still has a ton of craft put into it. I don't believe it's as interesting as the other two, but I also concede that it was probably more consistently impressive in its quality

What M&H does with "not-Brazil" and what TTGL does with different set pieces on both Earth and outer space just embarrass SAO IMO. I don't disagree that there was craft put into SAO's world but it just doesn't hold up to the other series in terms of both consistency or highs.

SAO after GGO managed to find multiple points where it became more or less tolerable. The Caliber arc is fine, and although Mother's Rosario has quite a few moments of being laughably awful, the parts outside of that are at least okay.

InuYasha was such a poorly-paced chore that it actually made SAO look a little bit better since we at least got some entertainment value (intentional or not) out of THAT show. There are maybe three moments at best where it actually found its footing.

Ok I guess I can kind of jive with those arguments. But man when SAO II was bad, it was like offensively bad :/

Michiko is definitely a "higher highs, lower lows" thing that was way more of the latter than the former.
Have you seen all of Parasyte? That might be influencing our difference of opinions. Also M&H never has anything like the past two weeks in Parastye among other things
(like next week)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom