• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's seriously heartwarming.

People tend to only think about DBZA when it comes to Goku and Gohan's relationship and conflate that parody version with how the two actually feel about each other. It's absolutely true that he treats Piccolo as another father/his original martial arts master but the stuff we'll see this spring and summer will show a different side to the relationship.

If they ever get to Buu Kai over here we'll also see that Gohan doesn't actually resent his dad for being dead for a much longer period of time.

The relationship between Gohan and Piccolo is less sweet when you realize that as of Super
Gohan has gotten Piccolo killed twice in the exact same way.

Also listened to the TOMmys tonight during work. I was so glad M&H won Most Disappointing. & based on the discussion on the previous page, while I will still defend/enjoy the first half of Kill la Kill, I totally understand/accept/agree it all goes down hill after the school trip, & despite some still decent moments (like the fight between Satsuki & Ryuko which ends that school trip arc), it's nowhere near as good compared to the first half. I also agree with people that say KlK should've been a shorter series.

Otherwise, I think for the most part I agreed with a good amount of what was awarded, or at the very least were the runner-ups.

Hooray!

Fun fact: the podcast's Youtube page is host to a Kill la Kill argument in the comments and it may be the most civil debate I've ever seen on Youtube.

I'd ask for a spot in the podcast but then I realized I likely couldn't go through the whole thing without getting some kind of interruption on my end.

Line_HTX

You definitely want me on the podcast. Line can vouch for me.

Vouch confirmed.

TUSR has great insights because he made Anime OT's before.

DeKappa

We can all do a podcast called anime and football where we talk about the two manliest things on earth

Divisional Round is so fucking busy. It's full of news and so much shit to go over.... Also, I'm failing really hard at participating in AnimeGAF, rofl...

>_>

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So apparently one of the unfinished episodes of the Clone Wars was going to have Grievous nearly effortlessly beat Kenobi.

But because Grievous can't kill him without creating a time paradox, he then takes him to a execution room. One which Kenobi easily escapes because Anakin is on board.

Guys, is it wrong to be salty forever?

Can't believe those bastards would try and do Old Ben like that. Why shit on your best character?

Jarate

Banned
Ping Pong is technically the best sports anime ever, but Hajime No Ippo is the best "Sports" anime out there. Guy who made it really loves boxing

Grexeno

As you all might have seen already, the First Annual ToonamiGAF Awards Podcast has been released thanks to Doctor Decimate and the fine folks at the Toonami Show Rundown.

Here is the podcast.

The list of winners (with timestamps for the video):

BEST OPENING (Deliberations begin at 1:03; winner announced at 29:36)

Paraiso - Michiko & Hatchin OP
Closer - Naruto Shippuden OP 4
Kimi ga Inai Mirai - Inuyasha: The Final Act OP

BEST PROMO (Deliberations begin at 29:54; winner announced at 42:29)

February 2016 Lineup Promo
October 2016 Lineup Promo
Get Busy Living

BEST SOUNDTRACK (Deliberations begin at 43:03; winner announced at 51:58)

Kill la Kill
Michiko & Hatchin
Gurren Lagann

WORST MOMENT (Deliberations begin at 52:05; winner announced at 1:13:57)

It was Kayaba again (Sword Art Online II)
Forced Intervention (Sword Art Online II)
Momocon Q&A Panel

BEST MOMENT (Deliberations begin at 1:15:00; winner announced at 1:40:21)

Luffy defeats Rob Lucci (One Piece)
Shikamaru comes to terms with Asuma's death (Naruto Shippuden)
The funeral of the Going Merry (One Piece)

WORST LOOKING SHOW (Deliberations begin at 1:41:04; winner announced at 1:49:04)

Akame ga Kill!
Dragonball Z Kai
Naruto Shippuden

BEST LOOKING SHOW (Deliberations begin at 1:41:04; winner announced at 1:51:44)

Sword Art Online II
Michiko & Hatchin
Gurren Lagann

WORST ENDING (Deliberations begin at 1:52:03; winner announced at 1:59:41)

Inuyasha: The Final Act
Sword Art Online II

BEST ENDING (Deliberations begin at 1:52:03; winner announced at 1:59:47)

Gurren Lagann
Michiko & Hatchin

BEST FIGHT (Deliberations begin at 2:00:20; winner announced at 2:19:33)

Goku vs. Vegeta (Dragonball Z Kai)
Sanji vs. Jabra (One Piece)
Shikamaru vs. Hidan (Naruto Shippuden)

WORST CHARACTER (Deliberations begin at 2:19:52; winner announced at 2:31:06)

Esdeath (Akame ga Kill!)
Sora (Naruto Shippuden)
Kirito (Sword Art Online II)

BEST CHARACTER (Deliberations begin at 2:32:32; winner announced at 2:42:58)

Usopp (One Piece)
Shikamaru (Naruto Shippuden)
Hatchin (Michiko & Hatchin)

BEST VILLAIN (Deliberations begin at 2:43:03; winner announced at 2:52:20)

Hidan (Naruto Shippuden)
Vegeta (Dragonball Z Kai)
Frieza (Dragonball Z Kai)

BEST CAST (Deliberations begin at 2:52:28; winner announced at 2:59:55)

Kill la Kill
Dragonball Z Kai
One Piece

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT (Deliberations begin at 3:00:00; winner announced at 3:12:17)

Michiko & Hatchin
Marathons replacing movie nights

BEST SURPRISE (Deliberations begin at 3:12:25; winner announced at 3:18:02)

Block contraction was a good thing
Intruder II Ending
Samurai Jack returns

MOST WANTED NEW SHOW (Deliberations begin at 3:18:09; winner announced at 3:23:48)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
One Punch Man

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A VOICE ACTOR (Deliberations begin at 3:23:55; winner announced at 3:30:12)

Akron Watson as Satoshi (Michiko & Hatchin)
Chris Edgerly as Hidan (Naruto Shippuden)
Chris Ayres as Frieza (Dragonball Z Kai)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A VOICE ACTRESS (Deliberations begin at 3:30:22; winner announced at 3:36:15)

Jad Saxton as Hatchin (Michiko & Hatchin)
Christine Cabanos as Mako (Kill la Kill)
Erica Mendez as Yuuki (Sword Art Online II)

WORST SHOW OF THE YEAR (Deliberations begin at 3:36:34; winner announced at 3:44:21)

Sword Art Online II
Akame ga Kill!

BEST SHOW OF THE YEAR (Deliberations begin at 3:44:26; winner announced at 4:04:50)

Gurren Lagann
Dragonball Z Kai
One Piece

Regiruler

Yuuki for best va

Naruto not listed for best OST

GL's OST is the worst thing about the show.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Can't believe those bastards would try and do Old Ben like that. Why shit on your best character?

You have Grievous stomp all over Kenobi in Clone Wars so it makes it look like a bigger deal when he beats him in Episode 3. Simple.

SAOII is objectively worse. Time is a damn good numbing agent.

I don't know. SAO's story is worse, but Akame Ga Kill's story is also laughable.
SAO has better music and animation. Akame Ga Kill has the decency to kill most of its fucking cast, but some of the characters in the first season of SAO were okay in small doses.

It's a toss-up.

But now that I think about it, at least Akame Ga Kill's anime fucking ended, and won't continue.

Sword Art Online is getting a movie, which will probably announce another season.

SAO is by far the more competent production when it comes to animation, music, direction voice direction etc.

When both shows are bad, might as well prop up the one that doesn't have ass production as well.

I believe the argument for Akame ga Kill was that being generic and bland was the worst thing possible.

And SAO isn't nearly as bad after the GGO arc ends, honestly. Like, the Caliber arc is pretty whatever and Mother's Rosario is kinda bad but only with super AIDS, the ending, and Asuna's mom; the rest is also whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom