• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parasyte's next episode is pretty bad if you ask me.

Why should I care about this girl who is defined entirely by her desire to bang the main character? She has no other characteristics.
She hung out with a bunch of assholes before? I guess that sort of counts?
Shinichi didn't seem to care that much about her as a person when she was alive. He just didn't want to see her ripped apart.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Kill la Kill was definitely more disappointing than Michiko & Hatchin. Especially with how people were hyping it up. That show was basically garbage any time Mako wasn't onscreen.

Garbage might be a bit strong, but that show was dumb, and the clothing joke got played out like three episodes in. Except for the amazingness that is Mako and the occasional funny visual gag, that show is essentially not worth watching. Good characters stuck in a lame show is about how I'd sum KLK up.

Seda

I totally understand Kinon for worst character. Regardless of what you think of Gurren Lagann, her whole entire character is "she smitten for Rossiu for some reason".

And I approve of Shikamaru and his arc getting props.

Moaradin

Mako is the best for sure but you're selling the rest of the cast short. That show works because of all the fun characters it has.

I totally understand Kinon for worst character. Regardless of what you think of Gurren Lagann, her whole entire character is "she smitten for Rossiu for some reason".

Not saying Kinon is good but how could she possibly lose against Death Gun? lol

AgK is so generic sometimes that its borderline offensive. I never got the feeling Trigger ever stopped trying even if the production schedule was against them whereas is rarely felt like White Fox ever tried with AgK.

See, that's what bugged me more about Kill la Kill, I think. Kill la Kill actually had...aspirations. Akame ga Kill got exactly the sporadically well-animated mediocrity it set out for.
What M&H does with "not-Brazil" and what TTGL does with different set pieces on both Earth and outer space just embarrass SAO IMO. I don't disagree that there was craft put into SAO's world but it just doesn't hold up to the other series in terms of both consistency or highs.

I think the highs are definitely higher in Gurren Lagann and Michiko, but consistency-wise I don't believe that's the case at all. Gurren Lagann is actually rather unimpressive when it isn't trying (though it is trying a respectable amount of the time), and I think the thing that sank Michiko for everyone else was that train episode. Its more impressive episodes are concentrated in the first half, too.
Ok I guess I can kind of jive with those arguments. But man when SAO II was bad, it was like offensively bad :/

True, but I feel pretty good about giving SAO its due in that regard during worst moment.
Have you seen all of Parasyte? That might be influencing our difference of opinions. Also M&H never has anything like the past two weeks in Parastye among other things
(like next week)

I have not (
I think next week was when I stopped watching
), but we were judging based only on episodes that aired in 2015 rather than the show as a whole.
Kill la Kill was definitely more disappointing than Michiko & Hatchin. Especially with how people were hyping it up. That show was basically garbage any time Mako wasn't onscreen.

Garbage might be a bit strong, but that show was dumb, and the clothing joke got played out like three episodes in. Except for the amazingness that is Mako and the occasional funny visual gag, that show is essentially not worth watching. Good characters stuck in a lame show is about how I'd sum KLK up.

I originally fought for Kill la Kill and still might say it's the most disappointing, but I conceded to the argument that the way Michiko and Hatchin's pretensions to the Bebop throne did not pan out AT ALL was real bad. Like, that show sets out to be a Very Important Anime and just...isn't. At all. We also liked the first half of Kill la Kill a lot more than you did, I think.

Seda

I would probably say there were some character moments between Ryuko and Mako that I enjoyed, some Mako shenanigans amused me, but she didn't have much else.

Line_HTX

This is something I was confused about. How the fuck did Michiko & Hatchin become more divisive than KLK anyways... Yes, without question Michiko was disappointing for the most part, and yes, there really wasn't much to go on despite being different, but there was more of a harsher reaction than KLK.

Crocodile

I feel that's selling some of the other cast members short. The Elite 4 were strong and Satsuki was good when she wasn't being a Mary Sue. Ryuko sucked pretty bad though - its always awkward when the main character is like among the worst characters in your show (and I don't mean in the sense she was bitchy but I just didn't think she was well written or had much meat to her). Korra suffered for that as well for most of its run.

Mako was one of my least favorite parts of Klk

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought she was annoying.

You both are terrible people

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is something I was confused about. How the fuck did Michiko & Hatchin become more divisive than KLK anyways... Yes, without question Michiko was disappointing for the most part, and yes, there really wasn't much to go on despite being different, but there was more of a harsher reaction than KLK.

I think there was way less in the way of expectations, Kill La Kill already had a reputation and plenty of us saw here when it was new. Michiko and Hatchin was a title that fell through the cracks and I think we saw it as the next Black Lagoon and it just didn't deliver. That was thing that truly soured me on Michiko and Hatchin, the potential they wasted by not nailing down the characters and fucking up on subtle but important details. It should have been great and it just wasn't.

Not saying Kinon is good but how could she possibly lose against Death Gun? lol

Hey, Death Gun is a lot of things, but at least Death Gun ain't nobody's obnoxious fangirl for nonexistent reasons.

We have to watch Kinon being shitty to everybody for no reason other than the fact that she likes Rossiu. Rossiu at least has the excuse that he's TRYING to do good and that the writing is just for some reason painting this as a good/evil thing instead of a morally grey thing. Kinon just thinks this asshole is dreamy and then goes off on people because they fucking DARE to question him. Like holy shit, it's fucking infuriating. At least we can laugh at Death Gun being a tryhard.

Crocodile

See, that's what bugged me more about Kill la Kill, I think. Kill la Kill actually had...aspirations. Akame ga Kill got exactly the sporadically well-animated mediocrity it set out for.

I give more credit to shows that try and miss the mark (As long as they don't miss TOO BAD) than those that never try and settle for mediocrity.

I think the highs are definitely higher in Gurren Lagann and Michiko, but consistency-wise I don't believe that's the case at all. Gurren Lagann is actually rather unimpressive when it isn't trying (though it is trying a respectable amount of the time), and I think the thing that sank Michiko for everyone else was that train episode. Its more impressive episodes are concentrated in the first half, too.

One episode sank a show for you? I dunno, I think the highs are to many in both TTGL and M&H for them to fall to SAO. When you are trying to sell a show, you don't talk about how "consistent" it usually is but rather the highs (and if there are enough of them).

I have not (
I think next week was when I stopped watching
), but we were judging based only on episodes that aired in 2015 rather than the show as a whole.

Fair enough. I'm still not sure I'd agree with that assessment but I did hold the 1st half of Parasyte in higher regard than the later.

I originally fought for Kill la Kill and still might say it's the most disappointing, but I conceded to the argument that the way Michiko and Hatchin's pretensions to the Bebop throne did not pan out AT ALL was real bad. Like, that show sets out to be a Very Important Anime and just...isn't. At all. We also liked the first half of Kill la Kill a lot more than you did, I think.

When was M&H trying to be Cowboy Bebop? I don't think the show ever sold itself like that. Did even internet denizens sell itself like that? Good productions values, episodic, kooky cast in an adult world are not enough to "ape" Cowboy Bebop.

I mean if "she wants the D" is what sinks Kinon, I feel there are a whole bunch of ladies in SAO AND Parasyte who are worse.

I give more credit to shows that try and miss the mark (As long as they don't miss TOO BAD) than those that never try and settle for mediocrity.

Meh, I don't. It's an expectations thing. The fact that Kill la Kill dropped significantly in quality from a point where it was pretty good did it no favors.
One episode sank a show for you? I dunno, I think the highs are to many in both TTGL and M&H for them to fall to SAO. When you are trying to sell a show, you don't talk about how "consistent" it usually is but rather the highs (and if there are enough of them).

Not me personally, but it was part of the argument. And again, the show kind of stops being quite so impressive as it goes along. Consistency is absolutely something that should be considered; a show's high points don't mean a lot if it doesn't maintain a decent standard of quality, and SAO's standard of quality was higher. Do I think that necessarily makes it superior? No. Like I said, I was in Michiko's corner, but I don't think it's an unreasonable point of view, either.
Fair enough. I'm still not sure I'd agree with that assessment but I did hold the 1st half of Parasyte in higher regard than the later.

I really do think Michiko did get to be a huge chore at times, even if I appreciated what it was attempting mostly. Like, we were gonna throw One Piece up there before we put Michiko up there.
When was M&H trying to be Cowboy Bebop? I don't think the show ever sold itself like that. Did even internet denizens sell itself like that? Good productions values, episodic, kooky cast in an adult world are not enough to "ape" Cowboy Bebop.

Michiko and Hatchin's storytelling is fairly similar to Bebop in that it's an episodic show that's trying to convey depth while simultaneously being rather sparse with its themes; it's just kind of terrible at doing so and really struggles at letting the viewer know just what the hell it's doing.

And it's not even so much Bebop itself but Bebop as the poster child for the Very Important Anime. Michiko really, really wants to be profound.

So...the next Pokemon joining Pokken fighters is...
250px-609Chandelure.png

...okay.

I mean I like Chandelure, but how is it going to fight?

People make fun of a lot of the more recent pokemon, but I actually find myself drawn towards the more recent generations to be honest.

Like the 6th generation gave us Espurr.
It's a pokemon that "has enough psychic energy to blast everything within 300 feet of itself, but it has no control over its power."....

So cute.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anything can be a Pokemon, I take it?

Yes.

But few match the beauty of Stunfisk.
250px-618Stunfisk.png

So majestic.

People make fun of a lot of the more recent pokemon, but I actually find myself drawn towards the more recent generations to be honest.

800px-Elise_Espurr.png

It's a pokemon that "has enough psychic energy to blast everything within 300 feet of itself, but it has no control over its power."....

So cute.

Seda said:

well when the original set of pokemon includes magnets, boulders, and sludge ... sure.
Now they just have to look around the house for inspiration. Can't wait for Vacuumlot.

So cute.
So, it's the new Togepi?

So, it's the new Togepi?

Well Togepi, unlike Espurr, frequently forms a parasitic relationship with humans, draining them of their personality, and generally making them more boring in the long term.

That's what happened to Misty.

Also Togepi eventually got two evolutions, one of which is pretty cool.
250px-468Togekiss.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pokken has some really random choices. That seems more like a support Pokemon than an actual playable one...

Also listened to the TOMmys tonight during work. I was so glad M&H won Most Disappointing. & based on the discussion on the previous page, while I will still defend/enjoy the first half of Kill la Kill, I totally understand/accept/agree it all goes down hill after the school trip, & despite some still decent moments (like the fight between Satsuki & Ryuko which ends that school trip arc), it's nowhere near as good compared to the first half. I also agree with people that say KlK should've been a shorter series.

Otherwise, I think for the most part I agreed with a good amount of what was awarded, or at the very least were the runner-ups.

People I know are losing their loved ones and pets already.

Fuck this year.

Sorry man. The start of this year hasn't been too great for anyone I think, but losing people/pets is always the worst.

Trubbish girl is literally a trash girl, but she is still better than the women in Parasyte and Akame Ga Kill.

Speaking of Akame Ga Kill, I think this weekend's episode is where they start changing shit. Basically preparing for the non-canon ending.

But don't tell the weekend people, I want to see if they can tell.

Raxus

Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3 and Xenoblade X. You know what. I didn't WANT to pass this semester anyways games so in your face!

:*(

Soulflarz

Banned
Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3 and Xenoblade X. You know what. I didn't WANT to pass this semester anyways games so in your face!

THE WAVE IS PUSHINGGG MEEEEEE
INTO THE CURRENT AGAIN
I FEEL THE BLOOD IN MY VEINS

So dragons dogma with the best title screen, right?

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Something something, Xenoblade X, Three Fire Emblem Campaigns, Mega Man I-VI, Final Fantasy Explorers, Bravely Second.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Goku is a pretty dope parent as we'll see in the coming months. Yeah, he was dead for that year, and in space training for another year plus, and then after the arc he's a good parent for he stays dead for six years, but still! He's a dope ass parent when he's alive and not in space learning how to teleport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom