• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Between the two, it was close, but it was argued SAO had better animation, art, music, English voice acting, and a couple of redeeming factors in the last arc. Akame ga Kill is just a slog and doesn't even have the same level of ironic enjoyment.

SAO did however get worst character, worst ending, and had like 6 runner ups for worst moment. So ┐(ツ)┌

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Asuna's mom actually brings up some legit points but of course YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, MOM, YOU DON'T GET MEEEEEEEEE & they have tp frame her as a bad person.

Also yes, I would agree generic/bland is worse than being bad.

I still get some weird junk food enjoyment out of Akame ga Kill. It's not a good show at all, but I think it hits that same "watchable" place as a police procedural for me.

Now if only it had Jerry Orbach in it.

Soulflarz

Banned
You do have quite a few hours before Toonami. Eleven of them, in fact.

seeing people until 10pm (toonamis 11 my time) because im out of town as of tomorrow fml why college why i even do badly grammar'd run on sentences but that might be the 5 shots of coffee ive had already idk

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Luci Christan is (usually) good in everything you put her in no matter how bad it is. She (along with Chris Patton) is the exception that proves the rule.

Chris Patton did the voice of the final boss of Soul Eater...and people here hated him. I mean, it's probably the worst I've ever heard him, but man, the shade that was thrown on him...

ckohler

I think AgK is worse than SAO. At least SAO had entertainingly bad writing and actually looked good animation wise.

AgK can't even hold my attention. Virtually everything about AgK is forgettable and bland.

SAO left me with some fond memories of a terrible series I enjoyed lampooning.

Chris Patton did the voice of the final boss of Soul Eater...and people here hated him. I mean, it's probably the worst I've ever heard him, but man, the shade that was thrown on him...

I'm currently watching Soul Eater dubbed so I'll judge him when the time comes.
Given my current pace, i'll probably get there by 2017.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's probably that damn voice direction for Sentai dubs.
THIS. We know Sentai can get some talented people, including ones who've worked with Funimation, but damn it, it feels like they just take the first/practice line read most of the time & is all "NAAAH, it's okay, we'll use that take, don't worry about it, NEXT LINE!"

Hell, the ADR Director for Ghost Stories from ADV also works at Sentai because he's the one who did High School of the Dead. That would explain why it feels like Sentai is the "misses" of ADV dubs, even if ADV was able to get some hits (Azumanga, Cromartie, etc.)

You know, it dawned on that SAO and AGK both have one big thing in common. (You know, besides being bad.)

They both have characters who are completely wasted on the series.

SAO had pale rider.
tumblr_nb4tp0IJLf1qet0cro1_500.gif
Akame Ga Kill had Bols.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bols is a character that belongs in a better show. Also helps that he stands out more compared to everyone else in the cast & is more down to earth.

Mizerman

In all fairness, Bols never deluded himself into thinking that he was doing a good thing. He knew that his actions were gonna bite him on the ass eventually.

Bols is a character that belongs in a better show. Also helps that he stands out more compared to everyone else in the cast & is more down to earth.
Methinks this is a case of latching onto the least shitty part of something and deluding yourself into thinking it's great. Guys, Bols was nothing.

It just dawned on me, Bol's weapon didn't have have a trump card.

Unless self-destructing was its trump card.

But how would that make for a good trump card?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Methinks this is a case of latching onto the least shitty part of something and deluding yourself into thinking it's great. Guys, Bols was nothing.
In all fairness, yeah, I do agree I think we just like him because he's the most tolerable part of the show. He's not GREAT, but when compared to the rest of the cast, he's nowhere near as annoying or frustrating or badly dubbed & such. He just sticks out more because he's in this show.

Crocodile

Some of these winners seem different what Dr. Decimate had posted a while back. Am I seeing things?

What about Wave?

Wave has no/too little self-awareness. He legit thinks he and the Empire are teh good guys or at least doesn't show enough distaste in the things he does. Bols is comoletey aware he's a piece of shit and doesn't try to hide it. It makes him more human whereas Wave just feels like a caricature.

I'm going to take a break from this community for awhile. I still enjoy watching Toonami but I don't really enjoy watching it with a community that has had multiple members who have shit on me for the things I like or don't like and generally made the atmosphere very negative. I apologize if anything I've posted in the past has helped create a negative attitude in this thread or if I've shit on someone for something they like or don't like its something I've actively been trying better to not do. Thank you guys for a lot of great memories.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm going to take a break from this community for awhile. I still enjoy watching Toonami but I don't really enjoy watching it with a community that has had multiple members who have shit on me for the things I like or don't like and generally made the atmosphere very negative. I apologize if anything I've posted in the past has helped create a negative attitude in this thread or if I've shit on someone for something they like or don't like its something I've actively been trying better to not do. Thank you guys for a lot of great memories.

Bass no!
I may not agree with your tastes, but I'll never insult you for it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Bu-bu-bu...

If it was me I'm sorry. :(

Puruzi

Banned

I'm not gonna say that most of the posters here aren't pretty negative, because toonamigaf is pretty damn negative, but I haven't seen much shit flinging to any posters, and if there is it's usually in jest. Shame to see you go, hope you come back around.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hope you decide to return, since I felt you contributed some good opinions, even if I thought differently. It does seem like it hasn't been that positive for a few weeks now (probably due to OP & Shippuden filler, DBZ dragging, & Sentai Hour), though I haven't noticed any direct attacks. But I can understand if you just need a break from a group if the reaction of "ugh, this episode this week suucckkkss" is the majority of posts for most of the shows (save for Champloo which seems to be the only saving grace right now).

Edit: I should also take the time again to thank you for helping me last year when Dish dropped the Turner channels, I really did appreciate that & still do.

Mizerman

We've may had our slight disagreements in the past, but you've been alright with me Bass. Hope you come back, someday.

ckohler

Sorry to hear it, Bass. I hope you come back. As a big fan of KLK, I had to endure a lot of hate for that show so I kinda know what you mean. I myself haven't been overly fair to some shows, either. This thread's opinions are always a bit exaggerated and should be taken that way.

Aww Bass dont take anything we say in here seriously. Hope you come back to us.

Sorry to hear it, Bass. I hope you come back. As a big fan of KLK, I had to endure a lot of hate for that show so I kinda know what you mean. I myself haven't been overly fair to some shows, either. This thread's opinions are always a bit exaggerated and should be taken that way.
But was your favorite show voted Worst Show of 2015 by a panel of your friends? I dont think so.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still need to get around to listening to the ToonamiGAF podcast, but I have to do it on a night where I can listen to all of it during work.

But was your favorite show voted Worst Show of 2015 by a panel of your friends? I dont think so.
Wow, I didn't think Gravity Falls was THAT bad!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the joke.

Bass, no. What will we do without your opinions regarding... I haven't been here long to get a good feel on what you like.

But seriously, hope you come back man. The more the merrier.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I dont think you could consider what Disney did to Gravity Falls as "airing in 2015". It's more like it aired this past decade.

I have no clue how Disney thinks that kind of schedule is a good idea.

At least they do Yo-Kai Bombs (like Steven Bombs but with Yo-Kai Watch, and nothing big is really revealed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom