• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge

latest

Presumably they all auditioned to be a part of the Ginyu force and all got rejected because their dance choreography is shit.

Right so, back to watching the DBZ films. It's time for the Cooler duology.

So the story is that Frieza's brother is a bit miffed that his bro got himself killed by a Saiyan, presumably because he wanted to be the one to kill Frieza. Rather then take Frieza's empire for himself, he decides to go to Earth with his Ginyu Force rejects.

Generally speaking, the film is essentially the Frieza saga in movie form, only instead of Frieza, we have his lesser brother and instead of the Ginyu Force, we have a generic musclehead, an annoying little shit, and a frenchman with a lightsaber.

That in mind, Cooler's Revenge was slightly above average overall. There were some notable moments in the flim but it doesn't really put Cooler's Revenge anywhere close to Garlic Jr or World's Strongest. It was better than Lord Slug but worse than Tree of Might.

ckohler

The following are real Quincy names introduced for this arc. I don't care if it's spoilers, it's not like the anime is going to air anytime soon.

Askin Nakk Le Vaar
Bazz-B (which is short for Bazzard Black)
As Nodt
Bambietta Basterbine
BG9
Loyd Lloyd
Royd Lloyd
PePe Waccabrada
Cang Du
Candice Catnipp
NaNaNa Najahkoop
And the strangest of all: Robert Accutrone

It's like they were generated by a computer to have the highest Google SEO.

Mizerman

The following are real Quincy names introduced for this arc. I don't care if it's spoilers, it's not like the anime is going to air anytime soon.

Askin Nakk Le Vaar
As Nodt
Bambietta Basterbine
BG9
Loyd Lloyd
Royd Lloyd
PePe Waccabrada
Cang Du
Candice Catnipp
NaNaNa Najahkoop
And the strangest of all: Robert Accutrone

Sad enough, that's the most normal name on the list.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Here are the others.

Pernida Parnkgjas
Gerard Valkyrie
Lille Barro
Jugram Haschwalth
Liltotto Lamperd
Quilge Opie
Driscoll Berci
Meninas McAllon
Berenice Gabrielli
Jerome Guizbatt
Mask De Masculine
Gremmy Thoumeaux
Nianzol Weizol
Giselle Gewelle
Shaz Domino

And of course there's Yhwach, who like MetroidPrimeRib said, is trying to be like Yahwah.

Between all this and the Arrancar, Kubo has a hard-on for names that are absolutely stupid.

Dragon Ball Z: Return of Cooler
Meta_Cooler_smirking.jpg

You didn't really have to return Cooler. You could have you know, just stayed dead like you should have.

Let's get right to it. Ignoring whatever the hell Episode of Bardock was suppose to be this is the first movie that I thought to be bad, really bad actually. I think I'm starting to fully understand why some people told me not to go through with watching all of them.

Aside from Return of Cooler being one ugly SOB the entire film is just a chore to sit though. The fight scenes aren't that good. They are brought down by shitty animation (Metal Cooler VS Goku stands out in this regard) and a lack of originality, particularly when Piccolo and Gohan are dealing with the mook bots. Rather than trying to hit a certain weak point, they just have to hit them really hard, cause that's not lazy and uninspired at all.

Speaking of unoriginal, that's Cooler in a nutshell here. In Cooler's revenge, he had some differentiation from his brother but that's not the case here. He's returned as a robot, like Frieza and like Frieza he's now trying to conquer Namek. He also acts a little bit like him to, given that he toys with Goku and Vegeta for example. While I'm at it his plan sucks too. Why even have the robots when you can make 1000 stronger copies of yourself? And how come you just don't kill Goku and Vegeta when you have the perfect opportunity to do so?

On top of all that, some of the plot holes in this film were way too noticeable to ignore, even moreso than every other film so far. How did Dende arrive on Earth? How did Vegeta get to Namek? How did Vegeta get a Sayian Pod for that matter? Also how did Cooler survive being hurled to the sun?

I could go on but I think I've said enough. This flim is shit, the end.

Line_HTX

What in the fuck are all those Bleach names, both Quincy and... whatever that is...

Jesus, it's like Kubo is trying random combinations just to see if they sound cool to him.

At least Grimmjow Jaggerjack sounded badass enough, lol

Raxus

ShinRPGamer, did you see the episode breakdown for Cooler's Revenge abridged? It is funny hearing KaiserNeko's utter disdain for the movie and pinpointing all the awful animation in the movie. Well worth the watch.

Edit: Caught your subtitle afterwards. Still.

ShinRPGamer, did you see the episode breakdown for Cooler's Revenge abridged? It is funny hearing KaiserNeko's utter disdain for the movie and pinpointing all the awful animation in the movie. Well worth the watch.

Edit: Caught your subtitle afterwards. Still.

I rewatched his breakdown after I posted my thoughts about RoC on GAF. He certainly did a good job ripping the film a new asshole.

Askin Nakk Le Vaar
As Nodt
Bambietta Basterbine
BG9
Loyd Lloyd
Royd Lloyd
PePe Waccabrada
Cang Du
Candice Catnipp
NaNaNa Najahkoop
Robert Accutrone
Pernida Parnkgjas
Gerard Valkyrie
Lille Barro
Jugram Haschwalth
Liltotto Lamperd
Quilge Opie
Driscoll Berci
Meninas McAllon
Berenice Gabrielli
Jerome Guizbatt
Mask De Masculine
Gremmy Thoumeaux
Nianzol Weizol
Giselle Gewelle
Shaz Domino

this faction's roster is bigger than most entire series

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That is a lot of VA casting to do... Maybe some overlap too.

I know a few of them were one-shot by Zaraki off-screen so that should alleviate some of the pain.

Bleach's excessive amount of characters has always been an issue.
TVTropes has 14 separate pages detailing all of them (15 if you count the anime only characters).
And for some reason, Yhwach gets his own page.

Seda

I know this is pretty damn silly, but as someone with an identical twin brother, I wish there were more fictional twins that aren't:

1.) Mirror images of each other that mimic everything. (these are also often depicted as stage show freaks)
2.) Exact opposites
3.) Given rhyming names

Basch and Gabranth are probably my favorite fictional twins btw.

this faction's roster is bigger than most entire series

That's Kubo for you. He tends to add new characters when he runs out of ideas.

You got the captains, vice captains, some important dudes scattered within the Gotei 13, the Visored, the Espada and their cronies, 500 Quincies, those Fullbringer assholes....

Soulflarz

Banned
I know this is pretty damn silly, but as someone with an identical twin brother, I wish there were more fictional twins that aren't:

1.) Mirror images of each other that mimic everything. (these are also often depicted as stage show freaks)
2.) Exact opposites
3.) Given rhyming names

These two have a great dynamic in FF12 as far as the "yes we're twins" thing goes.

And Seda. We all know you and your bro have rhyming names.

2.) Exact opposites
3.) Given rhyming names

So which trope do you fall into?

2.) Exact opposites
3.) Given rhyming names

Surprisingly enough, My Little Pony actually satisfies that. Pound and Pumpkin Cake are babies, but what little we see of their personalities doesn't match (1) or (2), and fanworks that take place in the future never go that route. Pinkie and Marble Pie are opposites, but it's an odd case where all of Pinkie's three sisters are her opposite in some way, even the ones that aren't twins. Though there is a twin pair that does satisfy (3), Flim and Flam, and they are the only twins that are actually meant to be identical. Surprisingly, they are given slightly different appearances and completely different voices.

Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls do have "opposite personalities", but I don't feel like they're complete opposites.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

2.) Exact opposites
3.) Given rhyming names

You're going to hate this One Piece filler arc

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Seda forgot about:

4. Twins that annoyingly...finish each others sentences. Hell I'm a fraternal twin and even I've been expected to do that one.

Line_HTX

I wish they never said the earrings weren't permanent and that there should've been a better explanation such as you can defuse anytime by crushing the earring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom