• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knows that Rachnera is the best monster girl.

Also, I'm willing to bet Akame Ga Kill is gonna rerun on Toonami after Kill La Kill is done.

ajM1ssO.png

Is this a sneak peak of our future lineup?

Aw crap, Sentai got The World God Only Knows?

I've actually seen the dub. Much better than you'd think for a sentai dub. They got Chris Patton and Luci Christian (the FMP VAs) to play Keima and Elsie and they both fit the role very well. Everyone else is hit or miss, but its leagues above stuff like Akame ga Kill.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If it makes you guys feel any better, Keima was voiced by Chris Patton, who voiced Greed in FMA and...

....oh, you just mentioned it. Yeah, at the very least, the cast is actually pretty good.

Line_HTX

Wow, they released the dub back in 2012. You can see it on Crunchyroll or Hulu if you dare see how the dub was handled.

Edit: So I just checked, Sentai releases Shirobako next month on the 9th....& thank goodness, there's no dub. There would've been so many levels of irony during the scenes involving the one character who wants to get into voice acting & talking about that process.

tumblr_nj2s64nlZm1r41iwko1_500.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've actually seen the dub. Much better than you'd think for a sentai dub. They got Chris Patton and Luci Christian (the FMP VAs) to play Keima and Elsie and they both fit the role very well. Everyone else is hit or miss, but its leagues above stuff like Akame ga Kill.

I completely forgot about that. Luckily the two of them have good chemistry and are unable to give a bad performance.

Dragon Ball Z: Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

latest

Not exactly legendary in personality.

Right, so the Broly trilogy. This might end up generating some conversation given the notoriety of the films.

So here's the thing about Broly. At best, he had wasted potential as a character. At worst, he may be the flattest character in the entire series. Sure they try fleshing him out with backstory but it's half-assed and the reason they give for Broly's hatred of Goku is almost laughable in contrast to the tone of the film (You hate him because he cried as a baby, really?). All he does throughout the entire film is scream, yell out Kakarot's name and blow shit up. And people out there really like to hype him up (looking at you Dragon Ball Multiverse) but the fact is that he may be the worst part about his own film. On a side note, he's a perfect example of how there is such a thing as having too much muscle.

It's not just Broly's character I take issue with. The film suffers from pacing issues in the first half of the film. Pretty much half of the first half (particularly anything involving Chi-Chi) is utterly pointless and serves to pad out the run time. You could have cut a chunk of it and nothing would have been missed. In addition, Vegeta's being reduced to a wreck from the mere sight of Broly becoming the LSSJ and staying like that for the majority of the second half felt very out of character. Also Piccolo shows up out of fucking nowhere. Nothing new for these films granted but Goku and Gohan ask him about it and his response is basically "because of reasons."

Okay I think I'm done bitching about the film's problems. Let's talk about the good stuff.

The film has an original plot and it does the Garlic Jr. thing of having the villain motivations (one of them at least) tying into the franchise lore. The big fight with Broly is engaging if only because It's probably one of most brutal battles in the series. It also has some good animation, which helps the fight with Broly amongst other things.

But yeah It's a mixed bag overall albeit one leaning towards a negative reception given I have more harsh things to say about it.

His power is maximum.

His personality is cardboard.

Sadly I think that is the 'best' Broly movie.

That's an insult to cardboard. You can do so much with cardboard. Not much you can do with a guy who's sole purpose (aside from breaking Vic Mignogna's vocal cords) is to yell and destroy everything in sight.

Line_HTX

Man, I almost wished you saw Toonami's airing of Broly 1, Shin.

It was basically 90 minutes of Edward Elric screaming endlessly and always going "AHHHH!"

So what do you guys have planned for the weekend?

I just beat Yoshi's Wooly World. Other than some weak levels, and some kinda meh bosses, that's a really fun game. Nice way to relax.
Yoshi is like Kirby, in that he's (she's?) a huge monster. And we should be grateful they're not real.

Now, I gotta get serious, get some studying done. I was hoping my final semester would be easy, but no luck. Got some hard classes boys.
I'm probably gonna slack off.

Also, guys, I order us all t-shirts.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I just beat Yoshi's Wooly World. Other than some weak levels, and some kinda meh bosses, that's a really fun game. Nice way to relax.
Yoshi is like Kirby, in that he's (she's?) a huge monster. And we should be grateful they're not real.

Now, I gotta get serious, get some studying done. I was hoping my final semester would be easy, but no luck. Got some hard classes boys.

I've got a bit of writing to do and some GIFs to finish for a thread I'm making on Monday.

I need to finish a short story, do homework, edit a podcast, record another podcast, watch the relevant movies of 2015, and finally get back on Xenoblade X.

Help.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Probably start Onechanbara Z2 Chaos &/or play more M&L: Paper Jam and do the Project X Zone 2 demo a few more times so I can get all the rewards for when the full game releases in a few weeks.

Also, I'm starting to notice some ads on the Subscriptions page will have sound (even if I can't see them & it's just a black box), which is kind of annoying.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dragon Quest 3.

One of my absolute favorite games.

I'm playing one of my other favorite games and one of the few games I absolutely love powerleveling in, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. In fact I ruined my day off Friday and fucked my back for a few hours sitting in a weird position in my bed playing it for eight hours last night just setting up Marche as a Thief to steal EVERYTHING before the story has even started!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Laws, Races, Learning skills from equipment are three things a lot of people complain about, but they absolutely make the game for me.

The idea that in universe the laws are treated as bullshit is one of the interesting parts of it. Just take the minute it takes to readjust your party to fit the laws. It's even better when immune boss characters show up; first ones with the ribbon who can't get anything above a yellow and will take the penalty all day every day, then the ones actually in with the powers that be that flaunt the laws. I love the whole antilaw card plot, and the revenge you take on the judges in the post game arc is fantastic.

FFTA is an excellent game that I really need to get back into. Definitely one of the best games on the GBA.

College homework all weekend and I got work tomorrow night. Gonna do my best to fit in some SFV beta time whenever I possibly can, then finish up my Trails of Cold Steel replay and set up my new 64 GB Vita memory card in preparation for Digimon.

And obviously, Toonami.

Line_HTX

No meaningful football or hockey this weekend, so I'm going to pull a last minute writeup on my Top 5 AOTY 2015 as well as catching up to the current season airings.

I'm just anxiously waiting for Super Week to begin.

Other than that, just playing a little bit of DFOG after their comprehensive rework of the entire game

I don't even think Vic Mignogna liked playing as Broly in hindsight.

I went to a panel and he said to everyone that Broly killed his voice. He even admitted that he didn't know how he got through three movies, let alone one.

Did someone take your normal Tsukihi avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom