• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Trunks fucked with the timeline. Im assuming Gero knows they are still training and getting stronger after Trunks shows up maybe? I think the answer is that Trunks affected the timeline. Also, remember this is a completely different universe then the one in current DBZ so I guess some things tend to be different?

We're getting ahead of ourselves here but (DBZ timeline stuff lol)

Cell shows up in the main timeline (the one we see) a year before Trunks does, which is used to partially explain why things are different. It's not explicitly detailed, more argued like a ripple effect, where even the mere presence of Larval Cell hanging out in some forest caused big changes in the world. ┐(ツ)┌

When it comes to arguing the time travel shenanigans in DBZ, you can try to explain it various ways, but I believe the one thing the never fully fits quite right is:

How/Why Cell, from his timeline using that time machine could travel to that point in the main timeline.

also this conversation reminds me of middle school.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We're getting ahead of ourselves here but (DBZ timeline stuff lol)

Cell shows up in the main timeline (the one we see) a year before Trunks does, which is used to partially explain why things are different. It's not explicitly detailed, more argued like a ripple effect, where even the mere presence of Larval Cell hanging out in some forest caused big changes in the world. ┐(ツ)┌

When it comes to arguing the time travel shenanigans in DBZ, you can try to explain it various ways, but I believe the one thing the never fully fits quite right is:

How/Why Cell, from his timeline using that time machine could travel to that point in the main timeline.

also this conversation reminds me of middle school.

Future Trunks did it first. Apparently that's how their Time Travel works, you can go back to the past of another timeline and return home to your timeline. I generally like how the timey-whimey stuff works out in this saga, but thinking about it too much causes problems.

Jarate

Banned
just a reminder that Toriyama doesnt care about his canon at all, and doesnt care that there are huge plot holes

I wish Toriyama had a better love for his canon, but it's whatever, Im appreciative that Toriyama didnt Lucas it with his most recent movies/series

God I really wanna watch Super right now, why has the dub not come out yet?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This stuff came to America when I was in high school so we talked about it then. The final arc didn't happen until I was in college!

This why I generally prefer stories involving alternate realities/universes over stories involving time travel.

Except in regards to Chrono Cross.
Chronocrossbox.jpg

Which is a bad game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This why I generally prefer stories involving alternate realities/universes over stories involving time travel.

Except in regards to Chrono Cross.
Chronocrossbox.jpg

Which is a bad game.

!
Not like this Hellwarden. I thought we were bros. Chrono Cross is amazing, son. There are some bonds when broken which can never be mended.

Jarate

Banned
IDK how you guys are not finding Kenshiro amazing. He's a dude that has had his entire life stripped away by the harsh world he lives in, and finds out that the morals he once held about peace and love do not apply to this cold and dreary wasteland. He thus becomes a wandering man, not seeking anything outside of murdering the evil fools who run these places in the most horrific way possible to teach the world that there is a boogeyman, and it's him.
He's a really fucking badass Lawful Good character.

Mizerman

IDK how you guys are not finding Kenshiro amazing. He's a dude that has had his entire life stripped away by the harsh world he lives in, and finds out that the morals he once held about peace and love do not apply to this cold and dreary wasteland. He thus becomes a wandering man, not seeking anything outside of murdering the evil fools who run these places in the most horrific way possible to teach the world that there is a boogeyman, and it's him.
He's a really fucking badass Lawful Good character.

This. Kenshiro is one of the few in that setting to prove that just because you live in a desolate wasteland doesn't give you a right to be an asshole.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, look who's back for more, Night Raid heads out to rescue Tatsumi from execution, Shinichi teams up with an old ally to deal with his private investigator problem, Fuu gets wrapped up in a modeling gig, Team Kurenai has to deal with Guren's Crystal Prison, Luffy inexplicably has problems with the twins while the other Straw Hats continue to uncharacteristically fuck up as well, and Ryuko hauls ass to Osaka to get back Senketsu.

8:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 54 - Goku Vanishes Into Space! Welcome Home, Super Warriors!
12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 55 - There Is Planet Earth, Father! Frieza and King Cold Strike Back!
12:30 - Akame ga Kill! - 21 - Kill the Despair
1:00 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 14 - The Selfish Gene
1:30 - Samurai Champloo - 5 - Artistic Anarchy
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 97 - The Labyrinth of Distorted Reflection
2:30 - One Piece - 331 - Hot Full Throttle! The Twin’s Magnetic Power Drawing Near!
3:00 - KILL la KILL - 14 - Ride Like the Wind

Fun Fact: Tonight's Samurai Champloo episode is directed by Sayo Yamamoto, director of Michiko e Hatchin (i.e. the show that Champloo replaced) and Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (i.e. the show they actually wanted to replace Michiko).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not really spoilers, but just sticking with my rule of "don't hint at anything to keep reactions fresh", for tonight's Samurai Champloo,
I think this might be the only time we'll see censors from the original airing due to "nudity"

!
Not like this Hellwarden. I thought we were bros. Chrono Cross is amazing, son. There are some bonds when broken which can never be mended.

But Naruto taught us there's no such thing as a broken bond!

Not even after starting a huge war that probably killed thousands.

Also I mentioned it over in the anime thread, but one of the biggest problems I have with Parasyte is that the Parasites stop being scary after a while. In fact, the scariest parasite in the show is the parasite dog from the first episode.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fun fact about tonight's Shippuden. It was the last episode that aired on Disney XD before they pulled it. Starting next week, Shippuden will be all new to TV. Though the DVDs and Neon Alley have brought it up to Episode 322 (maybe more).

BatDan

Geeeeeeeeee, I wonder why Disney XD dropped it at that point in the series.

Probably the arc where one villain ended up decapitated and buried alive, and another had his insides torn to shreds by an energy shuriken.

BatDan

So basically, they made the same mistake 4Kids did with One Piece.

I have to imagine they knew Naruto was popular, hence their undercutting of Cartoon Network to get Shippuden (though I don't think CN wanted it since it was during their awful "Cartoons are dead, live action is the future" period). I don't think they realized how MUCH editing they had to do.
Shippuden on XD was still TV-PG so it probably would have looked the same as the first series on Toonami. It just got too excessive.

Mizerman

I have to imagine they knew Naruto was popular, hence their undercutting of Cartoon Network to get Shippuden (though I don't think CN wanted it since it was during their awful "Cartoons are dead, live action is the future" period). I don't think they realized how MUCH editing they had to do.
Shippuden on XD was still TV-PG so it probably would have looked the same as the first series on Toonami. It just got too excessive.

I still don't know what the higher ups were thinking at that time. It was a miserable time.

Oh man, CN Real.

You know, from a business standpoint, the effort might have made sense.

That said, fuck that decision, even if it made sense.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, I remember the first time I saw the fact they were airing the first Spider-Man movie. That confused me like hell, considering my line of logic was "why is CARTOON Network showing LIVE-ACTION stuff?!"

BatDan

One Piece spoilers
I just heard Ivankov dubbed. If Toonami ever gets there, the reactions will be glorious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom