• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest

Dragon.Ball.Z.The.Worlds.Strongest.1990.720p.BluRay.x264-CiNEFiLE.mkv_000738.727_1.png

These are not the Saibamen you're looking for.

So usually when the Dragon Ball movies get talked about, The World's Strongest isn't really brought up. Which is a shame because it's actually pretty underrated IMO.

The only similarities it has with the show are the Saibamen expies as well as Dr Wheelo and the Bio Warriors being essentially prototypes to Dr Gero and the Androids. Other than that, it's largely original plot-wise. It starts off pretty slow but once Goku arrives at Wheelo's base it picks up the pace and becomes a fun watch.

In terms of action, it does its job well. The now neglected Kaio-ken (Pronounced incorrectly in the dub BTW) is utilized well and the more unique scenario's in the film help keep me engaged. In particular, the scene where Goku has to navigate though an array of spike balls is something not really seen in Dragon Ball. So overall, It's a pretty good watch.

And I think that will be all I'll watch for today. Dead Zone has the better action scenes while World's Strongest has the better story. Overall I'd say they are pretty close quality wise.

Raxus

I loved both World's Strongest and Dead Zone ranked high on Team Four Star's rankings as well. Both are great movies.

Line_HTX

A lot of people say that nowadays there are too many trashy harems, but man, this one was ages ago at the turn of the millenium. I think this was one of the early ones that started the trend of tropes over the years, I don't know... It was the first one I've ever seen in my life.

I didn't even know this was harem trashy shit before I knew what they meant. I was only 10 years old and only cared about laughing at stuff happening. At least it had fighting and lots of action. There was that one episode where it had to be heavily edited because it ran past the 30 minute block and one of the characters had to have a swimsuit just to be on Toonami.

Meh, Tenchi feels pretty restrained compared to a lot of stuff. It's not great (the sci-fi action in particular is pretty much total nonsense and got worse as the series went along), but it's amusing and I can actually tell you things about the characters.

Though it's probably not a surprise that Tenchi Universe is the best one since it downplays harem stuff (the relationships in the original are kinda gross when you stop to think about them) to the point where it's actually just a love triangle that is more or less resolved by the end of the series.

Seda

I'm trying to watch the stuff I missed but Adult Swim's player is not behaving well at all. I haven't had problems with it in the past.

I don't want to go back and watch anything related to the Tenchi Muyo franchise.

I worry that the show I really liked as a kid might be just completely unwatchable.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
With the caveat that I still haven't seen the two new DBZ movies I consider Dead Zone to be the best and World's Strongest is the second or third best, depending on my mood.

Dead Zone could almost be the canonical beginning to the series if not for people needing to forget Gohan exists. World's Strongest is just a fun romp.

Unfortunately the third and fourth movies are awful.

With the caveat that I still haven't seen the two new DBZ movies I consider Dead Zone to be the best and World's Strongest is the second or third best, depending on my mood.

Dead Zone could almost be the canonical beginning to the series if not for people needing to forget Gohan exists. World's Strongest is just a fun romp.

Unfortunately the third and fourth movies are awful.

I was wondering why Dead Zone needed to show Bulma, Krillin and the like when watching it. They contribute nothing to the story (Bulma doesn't even have a minute of screentime) and honestly Goku could have just found Garlic Jr. by himself when Garlic Jr. summoned the Dragon. On the other hand, we wouldn't get Krillin drinking Gohan's pee if they were no shows.

Mizerman

Akame ga Kill doesn't shoot itself in the foot like SAO does. It just puts the barrel to its head and pulls that trigger as long as it painfully can.

Nah. More like placing a sharpened knife around its neck and cutting itself just to prove how "tough" it is.

If only SUPER AIDS didn't exist in the Mother's Rosario arc.

Speaking of "ifs..."

If only Kirito was actually a compelling character.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So the first season of Rurouni Kenshin is up on Netflix, with the same dub the TOONAMI version used. HOWEVER it does not have the amazing dubbed version of Freckles, the opening.

The whole thing is up on Crunchyroll and I think Hulu, but I can't remember which OP they have. Also the netflix version has an Arabic sub track.

Raxus

Akame ga Kill is so bad.

It's like Bleach mixed with SAO.

Subbed it wasn't SO bad but a bad script, combined with VA's botching emotional/comedy scenes make it so much worse.

Doesn't help we are reaching the point the series goes full stupid.

I feel like people have grown really bored of Akame Ga Kill.

When they killed off Sheele at least people responded, though not in the way the show's creators intended.

Now people only seem to respond to how bad the voice acting has gotten, or when Bols is on-screen.

And now Bols is dead, so we're down to one.

When they killed off Sheele at least people responded, though not in the way the show's creators intended.

Now people only seem to respond to how bad the voice acting has gotten, or when Bols is on-screen.

I think Akame Ga Kill's ow the edge tendencies have gotten real stale by now. Honestly I'm looking forward to the beginning of the Gecko ending just to see how deep this barrel can take us. Cause right now it is a complete bore to watch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The problem is that when your story's schtick is constantly shocking the audience with death and violence, they'll come to expect it and it won't be shocking anymore.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oh I still find AGK to be completely compelling in how it is put together. Bad Voice Acting, every dark fantasy and dumb anime trope possible in a perfect storm of shit. A Shitnami.

I thought Chelsea's death was hilarious.

But as much as Akame ga Kill tries to be SHOCKING and EDGY, it's...actually rarely successful. I think Sheele's death was actually the last time I was amused by the stupidity up until now.

I imagine somewhere in the universe, there exists a place, a hell, where people have to listen to Akame Ga Kill's opening and Parasyte's opening.

Back to back.
Constantly.
To the end of time.

Moaradin

I like AGK's and I don't know why.

It's complete trash and entertaining in some ways. I was fascinated by the show when I first watched it. It has like 0 rewatch value though. Watching it again on Toonami has been mostly boring. If it weren't for the hilariously bad dub, I probably wouldn't watch it at all.

If Akame had even the slightest bit of a redeeming quality to her, I'd actually be a lot more interested in the Akame/Kurome storyline.

But she doesn't so I don't.

To be fair, which openings people prefer and dislike is akin to what types of music they probably like.

And I probably let my distaste of Akame Ga Kill and Parasyte influence my opinion of their openings too.

You know, if you actually think about...

...Frieza could just turn around, fly into space, and blow up Namek from there if he wanted.

It's not like Goku could stop him, or escape in time.

Seda

Akame ga Kill is pretty crappy all around. Parasyte remains 'okay' and LOL at Yuuko's plan.

One Piece filler is mostly just bland so far. Naruto filler fuuuuuuuuuck thiiiiiiis.

Honestly I just want the Android arc to start in DBZ. I preferred it to Namek back in the day.

Samurai Champloo was impressive. Great voice acting, style/mood, comedy, and action. Characters haven't lost me yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom