• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Kai is also way less consistent with its animation, music is far worse (people who dislike the Falcouner score are beyond me. I don't understand how you can have an opinion that wrong) there are a lot of horribly done ms paint recolors in Kai, and also, lastly, a loit of the appeal to DBZ was that the fights never fucking ended and took 20+ episodes to finish. It's nice in Kai to get the story done with, but DBZ has a shit story post Frieza saga (even Frieza Saga struggles) so you're really only there to view the cool battles

Also, you miss out on some top tier filler.

Zonic, I know you disliked DBZ Kai a lot, but give OG Dragon Ball a shot. OG Dragon Ball is really really good

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think the music was a huge difference in the watch experience.

Had it kept the Yamamoto score, it would have been a lot better. I know they can't and that sucks...

But it could have worked with the Kikuchi score, had they not used the same 3 songs over and over again. Dragon Ball's soundtrack is a lot more varied.

Falcouner score doesn't know when to shut up. That's my main problem with it.

And so many of the songs are just forgettable.

Jarate

Banned
Falcouner score doesn't know when to shut up. That's my main problem with it.

This is true, but i'd rather have good music then plain bad music.

Falcouner score is amazing, it's a shame they never asked him to help with a Kai dub.

And so many of the songs are just forgettable.

Disagree earnestly

Ginyus Transformation, Vegeta's theme, Pikkon's theme, Super Namek Theme, Dragon's Theme are all incredible tracks

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This is true, but i'd rather have good music then plain bad music.

Falcouner score is amazing, it's a shame they never asked him to help with a Kai dub.

Reports say he was a pain in the ass to work with, and that bridge is now burned.

Funimation wouldn't have called him anyway. They prefer keeping the original score these days.

Line_HTX

I would rather prefer Falconer score over silence and continuous wind gusts. That shit's even more annoying. As much as I like Kikuchi, there's too much gap in between music.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Zonic, I know you disliked DBZ Kai a lot, but give OG Dragon Ball a shot. OG Dragon Ball is really really good
That's the thing. I've seen some episodes of the original Dragon Ball when it was about kid Goku, younger (& more fanservicey) Bulma, Oolong, & Emperor Pilaf + two, and I like it. I've stated before that I think Toriyama does a much better job at being a comedian (Dr. Slump is rather decent as well) than a serious story teller. Dragon Ball Z was honestly fine until it dragged out the fight with Frieza, but even then, I still have a grasp of why a kid thought it was awesome back in the day when it was something they had never seen before. & the next few set of episodes on Kai look fine. It's just that the Cell arc pretty much takes everything I dislike about DBZ & multiplies it.

Also noticed this interesting thread on Neogaf about the most watched anime on Crunchyroll via each game system. #5 most watched anime on Wii U was Jojo, interestingly.

Moaradin

Wasn't most of the Falcouner score that people like not actually by Falcouner? I heard he took the credit of other people's work.

Massicot

I like faulconer in general and a lot of the character themes, but there are some ambient themes that I felt were used way way too much.

Jarate

Banned
Wasn't most of the Falcouner score that people like not actually by Falcouner? I heard he took the credit of other people's work.

I have never read the drama surrounding the music before, and I have no clue how big of a prick Falcouner could theoretically be

All I know is is that the music made DBZ a lot better then what we got in Kai.

I believe if the original OST was kept the same for DBZ's run on Cartoon Network and the Faulconer music was added in a post-2010 re-airing, almost everybody would hate it.

The music holds no weight once you take the nostalgia factor out of the way.

Dragon Ball Super thankfully has a pretty good OST.

Sadly, it's rather lacking in openings, in that it has one opening that they update slightly.

zulux21

Im going raw into DBS although I did see the first 2 movies so im assuming the first couple of arcs will just be the movies but with more filler. Ive also kept up with the video games, so I know about characters existing, but not their motives. I dont really care about Dragonball Spoilers, in fact, anyone of any worth was spoiled by online DBZ websites growing up to read all the best DBZ fanfics out there

Im so hype guys, you cant even believe it. Im probably the biggest Dragonball Apologist here though, although Kai is a shit product in general. I think OG DBZ, even with its endless filler is a way better product then Kai. (I had the same issues watching Kai as I did reading the manga. I never had those same qualms watching OG DBZ which ive rewatched like 4-5 times)

yup the first 26 episodes are just the two movies and some "filler" episodes.
though, at the very least one of the movies gets decent new content as it decides to go in a bit different direction.

Jarate

Banned
I disagree wholeheartedly. First of all, Falcouners score isn't the "original" score we got for DBZ, since the Ocean Dub used it's own score. Next, while nostalgia does definately play a big part in peoples liking of DBZ, falcouner's music continues to hold up tremendously well.

There are definitely flaws to Funimations dubbing of DBZ, but the music still holds up incredibly well.

Moaradin

The original Dragon Ball and DBZ score is by far the best. The show was actually made with it in mind for one thing. Kai did a piss poor job with the placement of it.

Branson

I disagree wholeheartedly. First of all, Falcouners score isn't the "original" score we got for DBZ, since the Ocean Dub used it's own score. Next, while nostalgia does definately play a big part in peoples liking of DBZ, falcouner's music continues to hold up tremendously well.

There are definitely flaws to Funimations dubbing of DBZ, but the music still holds up incredibly well.

Personally, the performance of the actors is more important to me than the music, as I like both scores. Kai and everything post that, pretty great acting wise from the Funi cast.

Jarate

Banned
OG Funi DBZ dub has a really good dub acting as well! Especially as there wasn't that good of dubbing back then compared to what we have now.

Funi DBZ is a national treasure is what I'm trying to get at!

Grexeno

Only a few hours left to submit nominations!

Nominations are now open for the 2016 ToonamiGAF Awards!

Yes, another year has passed, which means it's about time for 5 people to engage in mortal combat over a set of categories to determine the best and worst of Toonami in 2016!

Nominations are being accepted for the following categories:

Worst Moment
Best Moment
Best Fight
Best Villian
Worst Character
Best Character
Biggest Disappointment
Best Surprise
Most Wanted New Show
Best Performance by a Voice Actor
Best Performance by a Voice Actress

All shows which aired new episodes this year are eligible. For shows which began before this year and aired new episodes this year, only those episodes that aired this year are eligible (please refer to MetatronM's post from the beginning of the year.

You may make up to 3 nominations for each category.

Feel free to post your nominations in the thread, but please also PM them to me, or I cannot guarantee your nominations will be accepted.

Nominations will close at midnight on January 6th!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally, here is the complete list and noms for the other categories:

Best Opening Theme

Dragon Soul - Dragonball Z Kai OP

Liar Mask - Akame ga Kill! OP 2

Let Me Hear - Parasyte OP

Battlecry - Samurai Champloo OP

Closer - Naruto Shippuden OP 4

Glow of Fireflies - Naruto Shippuden OP 5

Sign - Naruto Shippuden OP 6

Jungle P - One Piece OP 9

Genesis - Dimension W OP

Departure! - Hunter x Hunter OP 1

Departure! -Second Version- - Hunter x Hunter OP 2

Raise your flag - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans OP 1

Survivor - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans OP 2

The Hero!! Set Fire to the Furious Fist - One-Punch Man OP

JoJo ~That Blood's Destiny~ - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OP 1

Best Ending Theme

Wings of the Heart - Dragonball Z Kai ED 2

Tsuki Akari - Akame ga Kill! ED 2

It's the Right Time - Parasyte ED

Song of Four Seasons - Samurai Champloo ED

BRING IT ON!!! - Naruto Shippuden ED 8

Deep Breathing - Naruto Shippuden ED 9

My ANSWER - Naruto Shippuden ED 10

It Was You - Naruto Shippuden ED 11

Contrast - Dimension W ED

Just Awake - Hunter x Hunter ED 1

Hunting for Your Dream - Hunter x Hunter ED 2

Tears of Orphans - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans ED 1

STEEL -Iron Blooded Bonds- - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans ED 2

I'll Find It Before the Stars for You - One-Punch Man ED

Roundabout - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure ED

Best Promo

Please note that this includes all promos longer than 30 seconds, and does not include Game Reviews or Better Cartoon Show Promos linked to an advertisement.

January 2016 Lineup Promo

March 2016 Lineup Promo

April 2016 Lineup Promo

June 2016 Lineup Promo

July 2016 Lineup Promo

October 2016 Lineup Promo

December 2016 Lineup Promo

Dimension W Promo

Hunter x Hunter Promo

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans Promo

One Punch Man Promo

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Promo

Children Who Chase Lost Voices Promo

Gundam Unicorn Promo

Dragonball Z Kai: The Final Chapters Promo

Dragonball Super Teaser 2

Better Cartoon Show 2016 #1

Better Cartoon Show 2016 #3

Weapons

Inner Power

You're Not Alone

Life Advice Part Two Speech

Dreams 2016 Speech

Best Soundtrack

(all shows that aired new episodes this year)

Worst Looking Show

Best Looking Show

Worst Ending

Akame ga Kill!
Parasyte
Samurai Champloo
Dimension W
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
One-Punch Man
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood

Best Ending

Akame ga Kill!
Parasyte
Samurai Champloo
Dimension W
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
One-Punch Man
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood

Best Cast

Best Dub

Worst Show of the Year

Best Show of the Year

While whether it holds up is subjective, I can understand your argument. Nostalgia plays a huge part. Remember that a lot of pre-teens and teenagers grew up listening to the Faulconer score, so they're going to have a strong fondness towards it.

And as for the original score, I was referring to the original "original" JPN score.

Jarate

Banned
Worst Moment
Akame Ga Kill (Akame ga Kill)
Naruto Shippuden Filler (Naruto Shippuden)
Best Moment
Mumen Rider Sacrificing himself versus the Sea King
Best Fight
Saitama vs Boros
Best Villian
Dio
Worst Character
Condom Guy
Best Character
Dio
Biggest Disappointment
DBZ Kai Cell Saga
Best Surprise
One Punch Man Ending
Most Wanted New Show
PING PONG THE ANIMATION
Best Performance by a Voice Actor
Sonny Strait - Usopp (He will win every year)
Best Performance by a Voice Actress
Colleen Clinkenbeard - Luffy
Best Opening Theme
Jojos Opening
Best Ending Theme
Roundabout
Best Soundtrack
One Punch Man
Worst Looking Show
Naruto Shippuden
Best Looking Show
One Punch Man
Worst Ending
Parasyte
Best Ending
Jojo Part 1
Best Cast
One Piece
Best Dub
One Piece
Worst Show of the Year
Naruto Shippuden
Best Show of the Year
One Punch Man

Jarate

Banned
Those are my nominations/votes since I forgot to do it when I had more time earlier today. So you're going to have to deal with it mister

I put multiple spots in for places that I thought were ambiguous. Every other answer is a.slam dunk for me anyway

Raxus

Has there been a character worse then Condom Guy tho?

Shit I forgot about him. Pretty much the poster child for filler villain...if only this guy didn't exist.

latest

I can see the conversation now.

"Hey guys we need a villain!"

"What's One Piece got?"

"Some arc called Enies Lobby."

"Just take the main baddy from that!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom