• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
pcAQv8I.gif

zulux21

They dubbed around 100 episodes in 2016 so he'll be dubbed in 2018 if the pace holds. In fact if the pace holds they'll be caught up by 2020.

TOONAMI airs roughly the same amount of One Piece Japan does in a year...so they'll never catch up.

I do wonder if they are going to just simuldub one piece at some point and then just work on catching up over the years with the rest of the dub.

I know they talked about doing it in the past.

Ray Down

Banned
That's definitely a great role for him. Awesome. I'm guessing the casting is from Film Gold, since the anime is pretty far from that point still.

Yeah it's good for him sonde he's been wanting a big role in OP for awhile.

Yeah it is though
we still have no idea who is voicing Koala

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I do wonder if they are going to just simuldub one piece at some point and then just work on catching up over the years with the rest of the dub.

I know they talked about doing it in the past.

I mean it always was a weird situation for them, starting off where 4 kids left off and then backfilling the first 134 episodes.

Fun fact: The first TOONAMI episode is not only when the show moved to HD but it was the first time Funimation had done an episode of One Piece not covered by the 4kids era in about two years.

EDIT: Not quite true, I guess they never did dub the filler arc. There's a FOUR year delay in canon™ One Piece episodes airing on US television. Talk about filler hell!

bigkrev

There's not enough meat on the bones of MHA to even bother airing it.

Come back when there's fifty episodes.

Yeah...
Also, I kinda thought it was boring? Nothing really happens and it's pretty slow to stretch out the material it has. I get why they did the adaptation, and the fact that there are a lot of people who loved it shows they were right to do it, but it did nothing for me.

cntr

Banned
Season 1 covered like, the set-up arcs. So yeah, the boring bits.

All that was only 21-22 chapters in the manga, and the pacing was blazing fast, so it was fine. It didn't work remotely as well as a 13 episode anime.

Jarate

Banned
So I wanted to do a post through of the few episodes of filler DBZ that were kind of mentioned in Kai at the end, as a little fun gif adventure through some top tier filler DBZ. Unfortunately, I got banned for a couple of weeks due to making the key mistake of posting outside of Toonami-Gaf. Luckily, im back from the ban, and much like a saiyan, my powers grow the more I come close to death

So, if you remember, King Kai mentioned the Grand Kai in the ending montage of DBZ Kai, and Goku and the Gang decide to travel to his planet because Goku really wants to meet this “Grand Kai.” Unfortunately, they have to travel on Snake Way to reach it, and King Kai is a slow dude. Goku decides to go on his lonesome, before doing a nice comedy sketch of him running backwards to gain some new info from King kai, very Monty Python Esque. Anyway, King Kai tells Goku he needs to travel by plane which is at King Yemma’s base, and so Goku decides to Instant Transmission everyone to King Yemma’s. They all get on a plane, and head to the Grand Kai’s planet, which houses hundreds of fighters who were all valiant enough to keep their bodies and train forever. Goku and King Kai get there, and there they meet the West Kai (Each Kai governs a quadrant of Space, King Kai governs the North side of the Universe, and the Grand Kai rules over them.) The West Kai and King Kai seem to be rivals, but the West Kai has a fighter he’s super proud of named Pikkon!

Introducing probably the best filler character in DBZ, Pikkon. (BTW, his theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXJKr4bnGxk is amazing)

Pikkon was asked by the Grand Kai to help with some issue. The Grand Kai announces his arrival, and he’s this thing;

PC3XlPL.gif

The Grand Kai is a rockin dude, and Asks Pikkon to go save hell from Cell and Frieza terrorizing the place. So Pikkon flies off, but Goku decides to help him with them bothh because Goku knows how tough these dudes are.

Goku and Pikkon land in Hell and are greeted by the 2 muscular demon guys who tell them of the band of evils pranks. We next see Cell torturing another poor Demon Ogre asking how to get out. This is when Goku and Pikkon appears. Frieza is shocked at Goku’s appearance and sends the Ginyu Force after him.

fk0kykn.gif

That didnt end well… Next Cell is like, don;t worry guys, I got this, when something aboslutely shocking happens.

kG6Ygsy.gif

DdjQblj.gif

hi5mw2a.gif

Jobber Patrol jobs, and we see Pikkon and Goku bond over beating up the bad guys.

This filler arc has some good comedy scenes, introduces some aspect of the universe that doesnt really impede on the universe at all, and also gives us a really fucking cool character in Pikkon. Pikkon is awesome and kind of also looks like Pepe the Frog for all you meme lovers out there.

Jarate gives this episode 4 filler stars out of 5. Also, fuck the haters, Falcouners soundtrack makes DBZ 4000000000X better.

USlE88M.gif

I liked that filler for the most part, but in hindsight, I hate that Toei immediately jobbed out Cell like a chump like that. Like, way to immediately undermine everything that just happened a few episodes prior.

Villain decay is a real thing, and it's particularly pronounced in shonen.

A lot of the people Luffy struggled against early in One Piece would be complete chumps if they tried to fight him again.

A lot of the people Luffy struggled against early in One Piece would be complete chumps if they tried to fight him again.

I get that, but that filler was legit like two episodes after the Cell Saga had ended. That's way to fresh to go ahead and let the decay set in.

Moaradin

Anyone who still isn't sure on MHA should at least give season 2 a try. If that still doesn't do anything for you, then the series probably isn't for you.

I get that, but that filler was legit like two episodes after the Cell Saga had ended. That's way to fresh to go ahead and let the decay set in.

They already did that with Trunks and Frieza and that wasn't even filler!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Goku got mad strong in his day in the afterlife.

He comes back seven years later with
a reality warping powerup.

Jarate

Banned

It's always been somewhat implied that most of them have gotten stronger after being beaten by luffy

This way they can come back as Luffy's Nakama in the Pirate Alliance battles where Oda will create Shonens biggest battle

cntr

Banned
To be fair, Crocodile wasn't, and Lucci and Enel probably wouldn't. And they're the only really huge villains Luffy fought pre-New World.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece villains and even random jabronis seem to level up along with the cast.

Coby and Helmeppo. Fullbody and Django.

Every member of Baroque works who shows back up is stronger so Mr 1-3 and Crocodile.

Jarate

Banned
I mean, basically the Kai's just train heros throughout the galaxies for all eternity and occasionally use them as like, Pokemon later on.

Goku is ridiculously strong as a warrior btw. It should tell you the level of power the Characters harness when Goku is basically the strongest warrior in all of the universes history
Outside of Majin Buu
and did so in like 30 years. There are people in that training area who have been there for 1000-2000 years. I can only imagine there are others that have been there longer.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mean, basically the Kai's just train heros throughout the galaxies for all eternity and occasionally use them as like, Pokemon later on.

Goku is ridiculously strong as a warrior btw. It should tell you the level of power the Characters harness when Goku is basically the strongest warrior in all of the universes history
Outside of Majin Buu
and did so in like 30 years. There are people in that training area who have been there for 1000-2000 years. I can only imagine there are others that have been there longer.

Someone ends the series stronger than him
Gohan
though by the time Super comes along that's apparently no longer the case.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's what my autocorrect did to it. heh.

Weird.
I know the Viz manga and Funimation subs (and trash 4Kids) added the "D" to it, but the original manga has it written as Jango on his wanted poster.

Not sure why the change but whatever...

Jarate

Banned
Someone ends the series stronger than him
Gohan
though by the time Super comes along that's apparently no longer the case.

Mystic Gohan is the moist jobber of all jobs in DBZ history, and then Vegito shows up to job even harder.

cntr

Banned
Anyone who still isn't sure on MHA should at least give season 2 a try. If that still doesn't do anything for you, then the series probably isn't for you.
Yeah while I enjoyed the manga since it had good art and pacing, the manga doesn't made me go "yo this series is going to be amazing" until around Chapter 36 to 44.

...honestly, I'd just recommend anyone who was cool on the first season to just read the manga up to the end of that arc, preferably rereading from the start. The art and pacing is so much better.
I know the Viz manga and Funimation subs (and trash 4Kids) added the "D" to it, but the original manga has it written as Jango on his wanted poster.

Not sure why the change but whatever...
The 4kids version made Jango a beatnik, so I guess they thought "Django" was more appropriate. The manga did the same thing to be consistent, I guess? But now they can't change it back. I think the Funimation version does use "Jango".

Good job on Funimation's part of casting Sonny Strait as Koro-sensei. This last episode is hitting me in the feels.

Fucking shit, this last episode is actually making me tear up.

Mizerman

I dunno. Enel and Crocodile would still be strong customers even to this day.

cntr

Banned
People used to regularly Crocodile a chump for being defeated so early, but man, that never really made sense to me. Luffy would've actually died if he hadn't gotten lucky.

So heres an interesting tidbit about the international themes for DBZ Kai TFC:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37020&p=1223110#p1222691

Theirs no full versions of "Fight it out!!" and "Never give up!!" the songs where only made for TV Length. thats crazy, only the american DBZ broadcasts have done that before.

unless you do something like Sonic 1 & 2 which have exclusive content like Hidden Palace Zone YOU FINALLY MAKE THAT STAGE PLAYABLE AFTER ALL THESE YEARS & MAKE IT EXCLUSIVE TO MOBILE BUT LEAVE IT OUT OF THE 3D VERSION?!?

3D version?

Also you gotta understand that those ports weren't done by SEGA but by 2 fans with a custom engine and SEGA's full permission to finish where they left off years and years ago.

Those same 2 fans are heading Sonic Mania.

Jarate

Banned
Enel is considered to be one of the strongest characters in all of One Piece canon

Luffy was just basically his worse case scenario

cntr

Banned
Yeah, and even then, Enel nearly killed Luffy too.

also he basically won, thanks to his moon empire

Regiruler

Worst Moment
-Dragonball Z Kai: Cell's inexplicable reformation
-Dragonball Z Kai: Vegeta lets Cell live
-Hunter x Hunter: Canary lets Gon through
Best Moment
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Speedwagon meets Jonathan in Ogre Street
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Jonathan's deadly sacrifice
-Children Who Chase Lost Voices: There's always a price
Best Fight
-One Punch Man: Saitama vs Boros
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Dio Brando vs Jonathan Joestar 1
-Parasyte: Shinichi & Migi vs Miki 1
Best Villian
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Dio Brando
-Parasyte: Miki
-Hunter x Hunter: Hisoka
Worst Character
-Naruto Shippuden: Karin
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans: Amida Arca (the head harem bitch)
-Akame ga Kill: Akame
Best Character
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Jonathan Joestar
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Baron Zeppeli
-One Punch Man: Genos
Biggest Disappointment
-Cut Shelter
-Bad music videos
-Month of movies still not returning
Best Surprise
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
-Hunter x Hunter
-Getting 11:30 back for simultaneous DB run
Most Wanted New Show
-Mob Psycho 100
-Haven't you Heard? I'm Sakamoto
-Psycho Pass
Best Performance by a Voice Actor
-Patrick Seitz as Dio Brando (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
-Chris Jai Alex as Boros (One Punch Man)
-Keith Silverstein as Hisoka (Hunter x Hunter)
Best Performance by a Voice Actress
-Joanne Bonasso as Reiko Tamura (Parasyte)
-Hilary Haag as Asuna Watase (Children who Chase Lost Voices)

Did parasyte win best moment last year? I was going to nominate Shinichi's denial (of his mother) but then I realized it was from before the cutoff.

Chase17

I think I'd say Eneru/enel is the most menacing one piece villain. Has some creepy looks too.

Although after his amazing introduction, maybe Kaido can eventually surpass him for me.

So I just finished Assassination Classroom. Really great series. I dug the dub. Loved the characters. Show was funny as hell.
Koro-Sensei's death
actually made me cry. That was a funny ride.

My final thoughts:

"The Code Names" episode was the funniest moment of the show.

Bitch-Sensei was bae.

Karamusa was GAR.

Nagisa and Karma's fight was dope as as hell.

I wish I was in Koro-Sensei's class.

zulux21

I'm too lazy to update my rankings. All I know is Hunting For Your Dream is best ED.

if jojo wasn't airing... maybe...
but jojo's ending easily beats that one.

Even more assuming is that, in the Japanese version, those three share the same voices as Piccolo, Yamcha, and Krillin respectively.

uh....
Edward Elric is romi park and has never voiced a character in dragon ball o_O
and mustang is either Shinichiro miki (brotherhood) who has only voiced Zamasu in dragon ball super or Tooru Ookawa (original) who hasn't voiced anyone in dragonball o_O

I mean luffy = krillin at least. (and Yajirobe which just sounds super wrong lol and baba) but I don't get where you are coming from for anything else in your statement o_O

Moaradin

I prefer it to JoJo's. That doesn't get me nearly as hyped as Hunting For Your Dream, especially some of the later transitions.

Though the JoJo memes probably left a negative impact on me after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom