• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the mangaka's taste.

The man draws SMMMUUUUTTTTTTT. There's one scene later on I'll comment on in how toned down it was from the manga in terms of sexual content.

Yeah, I'm aware of his work. He also made Dominion Tank Police.

Kaizer

Banned
I always get into this show so much even though I've seen it a million times.

Same, the first few times I watched it when I was like 13 - I had no clue what was actually happening but still found it immensely entertaining. The mix of fantastic music, cool setting & cool characters just made the series really flow for me. It's one of those series where I can just watch a random episode of and be entertained by it.

cntr

Banned
I think now that I have shows like Gundam to compare exposition/plot-dumping to, this is nowhere near as bad as my teenager self made it out to be.
This is pretty masterfully executed exposition. Like right up there with the best of cyberpunk.

I think I'm going to be a fanboy of this series now, haha.

Show has aged very well. Nailed the balance between sci-fi and what the actual evolution has technology has been in 15 years so it still feels relevant. Cyborgs and random lack of pants aside, of course.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 6 - Don't Anger the God of Destruction! The Nerve-Wrecking Birthday Party
8:30 - Samurai Jack - 5 - Jack and the Three Blind Archers
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 6 - Don't Anger the God of Destruction! The Nerve-Wrecking Birthday Party
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 104 - Gohan the Teacher! Videl's Flying Technique Tutorial
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 16 - Lisa Lisa, Hamon Coach
1:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 6 - Under the Mask
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 38 - Reply × From × Dad
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 145 - Successor of the Forbidden Jutsu
2:30 - One Piece - 379 - Brook's Past! A Sad Farewell with His Cheerful Comrade!
3:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2 - TESTATION

Later.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
GITS used to get a sped up ending credits, and then season one eventually lost its ED altogether, so it's been a really really long time since Lithium Flower has appeared in any meaningful form on Adult Swim (probably not since its first run in 2004-05).

Kaizer

Banned
Didn't know GitS was taking OPM's place at 3AM, might start sticking around till 3:30 now. Anyway, fun block tonight, night y'all!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GITS used to get a sped up ending credits, and then season one eventually lost its ED altogether, so it's been a really really long time since Lithium Flower has appeared in any meaningful form on Adult Swim.
Sped up I remember, it being cut I don't, but I've also probably missed a run or two.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sped up I remember, it being cut I don't, but I've also probably missed a run or two.

Season 2 always kept its ending, though it was sped up or cut short in most (but not all) episodes.

Season 1 lost its end credits really early on, around the same time that Bebop also lost its ED. That was a thing AS did for a while since both of those shows got to keep their full openings, which most other shows on the block didn't (and some shows like Trigun didn't get to have any OP other than the AS bump at all).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69kDJH5gBxOV0Dp

WVW69kDJqiME0_LtWi
WVW69kDJ7CQ2TspRxv

WVW69kDKDOsGoE5x_S
WVW69kDKFoQFSao2xt

RETRO Sketch Dump Pic from OCT 27 2013 (!!!):

zlCfzRKxcmIP-0Fisz

LATER

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still need to finish reading that. Read about a third of it, and thought it was pretty fun.
REALLY weird.

I'm rather bummed they never finished dubbing the show. I remember they entered some kind of castle & one of the last episodes involved the princess & evil boy character, but that was it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
omg, Aramaki looks like an ape face in the original GitS manga:

Also, only 3 chapters in & I found the scene I was thinking of in terms of "fanservice provided by the Major".

Hell, the manga in general has a much more comedic tone. It's kind of amazing it became popular as it did when it was put in the hands of someone who turned it into the more serious series it is now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ha that Videl/Chi-Chi exchange. I guess will you start digging up more retro sketches for GITS:SAC?

Totally fun seeing them square off, though I'm actually glad Videl didn't carry this moment of brattiness into her married life. It's nice for one DBZ Wife to not NEED to have some kind of nagging oddity to justify her showing up.

I'll probably dig up more, feels crazy that was 4 years ago, eesh. I'll always remember the one from tonight's episode, because it turned out better than I expected, ha.

Lol @ at the Gundam part. Absolutely nothing.

Nice handwriting, though!

*LOL*

I do have to admit...

...that Gundam Unicorn sketch is ON POINT. Probly one of SAB CA's best sketches ever.

I SPENT SO MUCH TIME ON IT! ;-)

Great work! This is my favorite style of sketch dump. Just simple and funny b/w boxes; one for each show.

I might stick with the style through all of Feb, to celebrate a return of one of our Toonami Oldies. Now that I've seen SAC so much that it's not really mentally draining, it's just great having a Kanno Soundtrack at nights end again. RIP again Origa :(

I save all the sketches to my computer btw

Even I stopped doing that! ;) *highfives* Though, with Miiverse not being native to the Switch, I should definitely get back to archiving stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom